The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday March 8th, 2023

Today is Be Nasty Day, International (Working) Women's Day, and National Proofreading Day

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.--Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Meal Suggestion for today - Copycat Cheesecake Factory Madeira Chicken
Drink of the Day - Skinnygirl Bloody Mary
Wine of the Day - Prophet's Rock Pinot Noir Central Otago Retrospect 2017
Destination of the Day - St John's NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada

Eurodam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Raiatea Island, Uturoa, French Polynesia 17:00 Depart

Nieuw Amsterdam

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Nieuw Statendam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Montevideo, Uruguay 08:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Iles du Salut, French Guiana eta 3-10

Zaandam

Panama Canal 05:00 - 05:00

Zuiderdam

Maputo, Mozambique 08:00 - 18:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Melbourne, Victoria Australia 08:00 - 18:30

Westerdam

Naha, Okinawa Island, Japan 08:00 - 16:00image.thumb.png.921d405bf7815f9c40f7a925edadfeca.png

image.thumb.png.e49d6b41616c31f8ef0159e82a167ee1.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

Edited by StLouisCruisers
add an apostrophe to St. John's
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 11

In ten days I will be sleeping in my own bed. It has been an interesting journey. When I get back I will get a chance to catch up with everyone here as well as my family. I’m just dropping in to say that I’m still here, just internet lacking. Talk soon. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC.

Once again thanks for all the kind remarks yesterday for my birthday!  I will try to keep a lower profile on this thread now and in the future. Right !

Ok, let’s start with Be Nasty Day. Are you kidding me. What, do you what a knuckle sandwich with that nasty. If you Google the day it says something like “break in line in front of someone”. I guess they want you to make the nightly news! Good luck celebrating that day.

Proofreading Day. Something I never did in school or now. When my English teacher saw I was in her or him class they would go out and buy a carton of red felt pens to grade my papers. After grading my papers it looked like a work of art. 
Even these spell checks on the computer are inaccurate. Like I saw a female bear when it should have been I saw a female bare.

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 14
  • Haha 9

Good morning friends!  We have a temp of 50 degrees this morning and are expected to be sunny and 66 later today.  Another fine day because I have no place to go.  Expect rain on Friday morning...

Today we have the unusual day to celebrate called Be Nasty Day.  I found this description of it online:  "Be Nasty Day is celebrated every year on March 8. A fun, light-hearted holiday, this day isn't meant to be taken seriously at all. Be Nasty Day is a great tongue-in-cheek way to celebrate being a little less polite. Sometimes, society takes the idea of politeness too far."  Okay, that sounds alright.  I guess we can celebrate that.  International (Working) Women's Day should be a day of celebration though women work every day even if they don't have a job outside the home. And National Proofreading Day is a great one.  I see so many mistakes sometimes in the written word that I can barely decipher the contents.  But not here on the Daily!!  We're all perfect here.

The quote from Mya Angelou is a very nice one.  She was quite a thoughtful woman and was born in St. Louis, Missouri by the way.  Wow, the menu suggestion sounds so good!  You know anything from Cheesecake Factory is loaded with calories and oh so good!  I'm sure Debbie @dfishwill have suggestions on how to alter it a little.  I pass on the drink and wine of the day.  

I'm glad to see Linda @lindalerpost this morning.  We miss all our posters who are busy sailing the seas and that's quite a few of you.  I hope Jacqui @kazuhas time to drop by and let us know she's well.  For all on the Care list, prayers to everyone.  🙏  For all on the Celebration list, a shoutout to everyone.  We enjoy hearing your good news.🥂

A big thanks to Rich @richwmn, Vanesss @JazzyV, Debbie @dfish, Ann @cat shepardand Dixie @summer slopefor helping put the Daily together every day.  And thank you to all who post here!

The port today is St. John's Newfoundland-Labrador, Canada.  Trying to keep the two Canadian cities straight is difficult for some of us.  Is it Saint or St., is it Johns or John's?  Hope we have it correct.  The Newfoundland St. John's was  our port of the day on Dec. 10, 2021 and March 10, 2022.  I don't think I've been to either because of bad weather.  It was the Newfoundland one we missed in 2015 on a northern transatlantic.  Here are links to Rich's posts from those dates.

Time to get on the treadmill, say my prayers, and watch the news.  Hope you all have a great day today.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Before I get on that treadmill, here is my only contribution for St. John's Newfoundland which I found on the March 2022 link to Rich's post.

We were supposed to visit St. John's, NF in Sept. 2015 while on a transatlantic cruise on Caribbean Princess.  Due to bad weather we had to avoid the area and headed into Halifax early.  We've never had another opportunity to stop there again unfortunately.  Weather report for St. John's that day:00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLLz8eGGWZDZw24upzEI00w?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1443034703

Sorta glad I didn't go, you know?

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’m curious about today’s meal suggestion and look forward to recipes and pictures from @dfish.  Proofreading is important before posting, autocorrect can do some interesting word changes. I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 22

Skinnygirl Bloody Mary:

Ingredients
2 parts Skinnygirl® Cucumber Vodka
Dash Hot Sauce
2 parts Low-Sodium Tomato Juice
Squeeze fresh Lemon Juice
Squeeze fresh Lime Juice
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Celery Salt
Lime
Cucumber, Sliced

Instructions
Shake ingredients well in a three-piece shaker filled with ice. Strain into a glass over ice. Garnish with lime, cucumber and a celery stalk, and sprinkle with celery salt.

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 6.20.40 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another nice winter day here, cold and clear.🙂

An interesting collection of days.  I'll pass on Be Nasty Day, some people take that too seriously.  A big thank you to all working women.  Proofreading is very important, some people rely on spellcheck and that isn't enough.

Wonderful quote.

I've never been to a Cheesecake Factory but have heard about them.  Looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'll pass on the drink and hope the wine is tasty.

I've never been to St John's but would love to go.  Maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Hump Day.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good morning everyone.  Thanks @StLouisCruisersfor the daily report.  Cheers to all working women, the backbone of world economies.  I’ll make a special effort to proofread all that I write today and skip nasty day.  There’s too much of it out there already. Nice quote by Ms. Angelou.  The meal and drink sound tasty.  I haven’t been to today’s port but hope to soon.  Praying for all of you on our prayer list, hoping that you improve soon. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events including my friend Rob who is flying to Buenos Aires today to embark on a two week cruise on the Westerdam.

• Like 23

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia; awaiting sleep oxygen study

Dailyites not sleeping well

Vict0riann’s DH Pat with upcoming surgery 3/9

Cruzin Terri with pain from myofascial strain

StLouisCruiser’s family member not having a great week

Citizens of Ukraine/Earthquake victims/CA people deluged by snow

From the rotation:

Jacqui recovering from elbow surgery

Scrapnana undergoing chemotherapy

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Former President Jimmy Carter in home hospice care

Celebrations and Shout outs:

All unaccounted for in NZ after Cyclone Gabrielle now located

Summer slope’s kitty doing well

Cruising-along’s good eye exam

Mamaofami’s DGS home for spring break

Cruzin Terri’s tilers working at her house

Luvteaching’s DH at home and doing well

Welcome back RMLincoln!

4 days for Lady Hudson’s sister cruise (Anthem of the seas 3/12 to 3/19)

SusieKIslandGirl (Noordam to 3/11), Cruisercl (NCL Bliss to 3/12), TAW1963 (Ruby Princess 3/12), ottahand7 and Lindaler (Volendam to 3/18), Suslor (Zaandam to 3/18), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Sandi thank you for getting us started! Vanessa, thank you for keeping such meticulous track of our happenings. 

Rich, Be Nasty Day?????? - I can picture you sitting at your computer, rubbing your hands together thinking “This will get the Dailyites started.” 😎

Another glorious morning here. Mani pedi for me this morning. Then Bindi walks, HIIT and pool time. 

DA433A21-90D6-4B9F-9736-687901DAEE1E.jpeg.bd38830bf7929befa66d445da02eccd7.jpeg

C789ED02-6556-442F-89B8-A5522F4D6B78.jpeg.475e7e3b070b436435ace479296aed19.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Prophet's Rock Pinot Noir Central Otago Retrospect 2017

If you are lucky enough to live in New Zealand ( @erewhon ) or at least visit it - you could try this wine. I found a few online distributors of this organic Pinot Noir, but I am not sure if any ship to me. And even if they did, how much would they charge for shipping? Even the sales price of $83.03 is outside of my budget, but the wine sounds amazing. 

Winemaker notes

Vineyard notes: "The vineyard sits on a high elevation (320 – 390m), steep glacial terrace high above the valley floor. The site features some of the oldest vineyard soils in the valley with the formation of the terrace occurring approximately 650K years ago. The soil age and dry Central Otago climate have combined to create the unusual clay and pedogenic lime soil structure. Beneath layers of clay at a depth of 50cm in this parcel sits a thick layer of chalk. The 7.5ha site was prepared and planted between 1999-2001 and the parcel of Pinot Noir for this wine is a single clone at the eastern end of the steep front face. Full organic certification (Biogro) was completed prior to the 2018 vintage. A strong focus on viticulture is the foundation of the winemaking approach. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

Good morning. I’ll be short as I’m fasting with no coffee because I’m headed to our hospital to have lab worked accomplished for my doctor’s  routine checkup next week. No coffee; I could be grumpy but that’s just not me.

Later,  but here’s today comics page of the Daily.

Thanks

Bruce

image.jpeg.db487c1d3b5b1cdb6285d3a1a7a76584.jpegimage.jpeg.5e73c3fa11ce37622704bb890f179498.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.56f3df380c4aaf3a030b025b9575abec.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a98caceca215dba457c93023f940ffa6.jpegimage.jpeg.4137fc818c060a736e7aa663fdaf87e3.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 22

Happy Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, Dixie, and other Dailyites.  I didn't think I was that late today but see all the departments have weighed in. 

I hope I can pass on Be Nasty Day, salute all working women whether at home or outside.  When I was working we had one person who had a very keen eye for errors and was an absolutely stellar proofreader.

Great quote by Angelou.  I was in St. Johns just once on a Smithsonian Studies trip way back in 1999 and was supposed to visit there on MS Zuiderdam in 2020,  I completely forgot about the Rotterdam being in Port Everglades.

Roy

• Like 27

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Thanks Sandy and Vanessa for filling in for Rich and Roy every morning.  I don't think I'll participate in Be Nasty Day; it just isn't my comfort zone.  I'm pretty sure today is International Women's Day - working has nothing to do with it, because as we all know, every day is a working day for women.  Unless, of course, we're on a BHB, then that's different.  My message to all my Daily women friends is:  you are strong, you are beautiful, you are enough.  When I was in high school, I did proofreading for university students - it was a great way to make money and help them at the same time.

It's warmed up a little bit, but we've still got that darn wind making it feel like -30C, so it's another day of bundling up when we go outside.  The good thing is where we live, we have lots of sunshine, so at least we aren't stuck in gloom and doom throughout the face freezing cold.  

Not a lot happening today, just heading out to pick up a few groceries that we didn't need to buy in huge amounts at the big box store on Monday.  Although I'd like to try today's menu suggestion, the couple who couldn't make the early Valentine's Day dinner with us are now well and want to go out tonight.  We're heading to the same restaurant, and although I don't know what DH will order, I can pretty much tell you what I'm having - lamb chops, lemon roast potatoes and Greek salad.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 31

Good morning everyone. I had a wonderful visit with my grandson on Monday. He’s definitely grown and is displaying his junior year knowledge.He was born on my fathers birthday and will be 21 later this month. Off to PT to work on my balance. I’m doing so much better and grateful to my PT therapist.

Cant wait for daylight savings this weekend.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 27

Good morning, everyone!

It is a bright, sunshiny day here in mid-Michigan with highs reaching 40F.  I'm skipping the gym and doing my neighborhood walk route.  It has been a long time since I've been able to do that and I'm excited!  

I'm skipping Be Nasty Day and yes, I can picture Rich thinking, that will get them going.  As he tells me, it is to encourage conversation.  So, let's turn Be Nasty Day into one where we eliminate it and replace it with kindness and compassion.  The other two days are worth celebrating.

Ok, on to dinner.  As @StLouisCruisers Sandi said, this is from the Cheesecake Factory and nothing from there is low calorie.  I'm not sure how to change things up and have it be the same dish.  Most recipes were pretty similar.  You could use half and half instead of heavy cream.  And skip the taters.   While this first recipe is 582 calories per serving, it is only 15g of carbohydrate.  If you are doing the keto diet, this one is for you!   https://natashaskitchen.com/chicken-madeira-recipe/

chickenmadeira1.thumb.jpg.922a9d8ac7e82f65a119ef2d1f91036d.jpg

Oh, that does look good, doesn't it.  This next one doesn't use the heavy cream.  It has mozzarella instead, bringing the calorie count down to 514 with 8 grams of carbs.  Mozzarella might save a few calories, but at this point, why bother?   https://copykat.com/cheesecake-factory-chicken-madeira/

chickenmadeira2.thumb.jpg.5ca879879ba23399bf5be1bffadfa6d3.jpg

This next recipe makes the first two look like amateurs in the calorie and carb department.  It provides 730 calories per serving with 39 grams of carbohydrate.  I bet it is delicious!   https://theforkedspoon.com/chicken-madeira/

chickenmadeira3.jpg.074e67eff295f8faf473e41c68b479b6.jpg

This last one is the diet version coming in at only 400 calories per serving and 15 g of carbohydrate.  It looks darn good!   You can slim it down more by not serving it over potatoes and just serving it with more vegetables.  How about some roasted broccoli or brussels sprouts.  @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda can even include carrots!   https://www.munchkintime.com/easy-chicken-madeira-recipe-with-secret-sauce/

chickenmadeira4.thumb.jpg.35ebc64b2c3413328d3d95973ebf060b.jpg

Personally, I think I'm going with the last one.  How about you?

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good morning all.  Prayers for our care list.  Thanks to all who post.  Roy — you are “sounding” like your old self.  Prayers that you continue to improve.  

Very cold here and windy.  Only got about half my walk in yesterday.  Didn’t get to bed until around 4 — for some reason decided to clean out my pantry at about 2 am.  It really needed it and wanted to make things easier for DD when she comes to stay with DH on Saturday.  

On that note — our ship — Anthem of the Seas — is having engine issues.  The Captain was late to Port Canaveral yesterday and when docked only stayed for a couple of hours.  Heading to Nassau where maybe repairs will be done??  I am watching that other site to see what info I can get from passengers onboard.  A bit on edge right now.

Have a great day everyone.  Katherine 

• Like 21

Good morning,

A misty miserable morning here. I kept putting off grocery shopping but now I have to do it in the rain. Luckily my rain jacket fits over my cast. 

I met up with some friends yesterday I had not seen for months. It was nice but I think almost harder on them seeing me without DH. Those firsts are always difficult. You get that sad hesitant look to see how I am doing. In one week it will be one year since he died. He was a hot rodder and loved to drive his Nova. I kept the mustang but sold the Nova because I could not reach the pedals with the modifications he made. We are planning a car ride to a place we would go to grab lunch and sit outside to talk around the cars. Fingers crossed the weather is good. I will need to get on detailing the Mustang it is a dusty mess. 

Debbie the recipes look delicious. It is one of my favorite meals. Roy I hope the test results will be helpful.  Terri I hope you are feeling better today. 

have a great day everyone. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Roy recovering from pneumonia; awaiting sleep oxygen study

I just talked to the Doctor.  It was to be an e-visit but his internet was down and we just talked on the phone.  There were actually 4 tests, and nothing much to talk about.  I had exactly 1 minute of lower oxygen in the night so that was not a concern.  Nothing special about my blood work or a walk I took in his office last time.  There were some possible concerns from a CT scan.  He could not see the image as we talked because his internet was down.but he thinks the likely plan will be a repeat CT scan in about a month.  In the meantime, my feet seem to show signs of improvement

I think I slept to about 4 this morning.

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Sandi thank you for getting us started! Vanessa, thank you for keeping such meticulous track of our happenings. 

Rich, Be Nasty Day?????? - I can picture you sitting at your computer, rubbing your hands together thinking “This will get the Dailyites started.” 😎

Another glorious morning here. Mani pedi for me this morning. Then Bindi walks, HIIT and pool time. 

DA433A21-90D6-4B9F-9736-687901DAEE1E.jpeg.bd38830bf7929befa66d445da02eccd7.jpeg

C789ED02-6556-442F-89B8-A5522F4D6B78.jpeg.475e7e3b070b436435ace479296aed19.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Prophet's Rock Pinot Noir Central Otago Retrospect 2017

If you are lucky enough to live in New Zealand ( @erewhon ) or at least visit it - you could try this wine. I found a few online distributors of this organic Pinot Noir, but I am not sure if any ship to me. And even if they did, how much would they charge for shipping? Even the sales price of $83.03 is outside of my budget, but the wine sounds amazing. 

Winemaker notes

Vineyard notes: "The vineyard sits on a high elevation (320 – 390m), steep glacial terrace high above the valley floor. The site features some of the oldest vineyard soils in the valley with the formation of the terrace occurring approximately 650K years ago. The soil age and dry Central Otago climate have combined to create the unusual clay and pedogenic lime soil structure. Beneath layers of clay at a depth of 50cm in this parcel sits a thick layer of chalk. The 7.5ha site was prepared and planted between 1999-2001 and the parcel of Pinot Noir for this wine is a single clone at the eastern end of the steep front face. Full organic certification (Biogro) was completed prior to the 2018 vintage. A strong focus on viticulture is the foundation of the winemaking approach. 

That must be a Redneck Palm Tree. (There is actual one called that.)

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning to all. I think we should follow Debbie’s example and spread kindness. The world at this point in time seems to be full of nastiness and I sometimes despair. The last recipe looks very good and may show up for dinner at our house if the executive Chef agrees. I have both asparagus and mushrooms available.

Our visit to the second specialist regarding an aorta problem was encouraging. This doctor felt that the situation could be monitored and that he is already taking the necessary medication.He did say there was a procedure used frequently that can repair the ulceration with a graft if it comes to that. We all hope it does not come to that. It was a very happy car ride home!

We went to Newfoundland on the VOV but not that port. I would like to go back there some day as it was very beautiful.

Today we are interviewing a young woman who had worked with Tana years ago. I hope for the best as it is frankly a lot for me  at this point and I really do need more help.Fingers crossed!

It is windy and cooler today but the sun is shining. I will take the pups on a long walk when it hits 38 or so around noon. 
Have a great day everyone.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

As an English teacher. I am impressed with the quality of writing on this site.  You obviously celebrate proofreading every day.

136C6E0C-0333-4629-904E-FB02E53292C3.jpeg.95cd5284621670b65aac3db990e181f9.jpeg

I celebrate International Women all year.87DA4022-F33B-4D69-919D-B6B0B26EF6AE.thumb.jpeg.03dbe6a6976d1a1e2a7d93b246632216.jpeg

For the cat lovers…

375874BF-1516-49C0-BB60-443C0D3E55CF.thumb.jpeg.54876f77f65d705d18c68a9cf4e7e6f7.jpeg

For the children..,79E239B4-4F13-4BAF-ACD3-2EFEB0D01D04.jpeg.3b53a7aaa39011c5bb43b2b07fc24cf9.jpeg

For smiles…D4BD0868-178B-47BB-90FD-5C70599C39FC.jpeg.5c5530094acfdb59bc20ea59d0f4d990.jpeg

118E924F-0B56-459B-8B7A-FFF15C8DB24C.jpeg.c3d014be7c9ae9316cf9e7edbe0d5ebf.jpeg

I will follow @dfish and celebrate kindness instead of nastiness.

Did you get a email from HAL introducing Legendary Voyages?  Several have piqued my interest.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.   Here’s to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 22
  • Haha 6

Good afternoon.

Thank you Sandi for looking after posting the fleet reports and Daily.

I don't do nasty and avoid nasty people.

Pauline has worked for 45 years and all working women deserve a day.

I try and proofread but sometimes miss things and have to edit my posts.

Today's food sounds good.

Prayers 🙏 sent for good health for everyone on the care list.

We have never been to today's port so photos will be welcome.

Take care and stay safe friends.

Graham.

• Like 22