The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday March 28th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

I was on the Noordam 2022 for the Pacific/Australia 69 day trip.  Moorea port was a wash out. It rained the whole time.  A number of CC snorkelers had booked a private tour months before, and we were picked up by our guide, taken to his home and we got on his speed boat to try and outrun the storm.  Although we stayed out for quite some time, rocking and crashing through the waves, we never got to snorkel.  We all gave him gas money. Very disappointed. I was the only one that got in the ocean, I fell off the back of the boat, getting in.

Kate     

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Thanks again to everyone. Welcome to @sunviking90. I'm envious of your weather, although southwestern Ontario promises to be a somewhat sunny day with a high of 8ºC. I'm not necessarily a food on a stick person-I hate getting my teeth on the stick. I had a thought about the quote, but lost it. And, today's Hello Fresh meal is cottage pie. I do think I have some stuffed pasta shells in the freezer, so maybe I should switch the plan?

We've not been to the port of the day, but we are booked for next winter, so fingers crossed that we'll be able to add that to our list of ports.

Prayers for all those dealing with problems that seem overwhelming both health, money and even the little things that add up and throw us for a loop.  Special prayers for those dealing with the latest mass shooting and the aftermath of mother nature's fury.

Blessings to all. May your day be filled with joy and sunshine, and may you spread that to all those around you.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We found out very quickly about Southern time when we moved to Georgia.  So when they say 7:30 they really mean whenever I get there.  LOL

Also “shortly” can mean anytime between tomorrow and next year.  We had a guy who was screening in our back porch. At one point he said “I’ll be back on Monday.  Problem was he didn’t say which Monday.  He did show up on a Monday—3 weeks later.

Terri

• Like 3
  • Haha 15

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just took a look at cruisemapper.com and see the Koningsdam getting into position at drydock in Portland Oregon right now.  It's quite a distance from the ocean.  

image.thumb.png.219aaba474143cd45f5d8dba546ff5e8.png

See its journey?image.thumb.png.afed92d39fc83a4e3e4a50a0772584cd.png

We cruised this route years ago on the Veendam (Columbia River I think?). It definitely felt like a “River” cruise with the shoreline very close on both sides. We disembarked at a container port in Portland and HAL had no transportation arrangements or transfers of any kind so we were all left there wondering how to get to the Airport. No Uber in those days! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a mostly sunny but very windy central Texas.  Our high will be in the mid 60sF, but right now it is 49F.  The winds will be between 15 and 20 mph until about 4 pm when they drop to between 10 and 15 mph.  Later, they will drop to below 10 mph.  I hope the skies stay clear enough we can see the planetary alignment tonight.  Our spring weather is typical for this part of Texas, with highs in the 60s today and tomorrow, the warming to the 70s.  Next week, it will be 90F on Monday and dropping into the upper 80s for most of the week, before being in the 70s again.  Just remember this is Texas weather I'm talking about, and it could all change quickly at any time.

There are some things on a stick that I'll eat, like chocolate covered cheesecake.  I appreciate the medicinal quality of some weeds, but I cannot appreciate weeds when they take over the yard and choke the grass out.  Living in the country in Texas, we get a lot of invasive native grasses, which are difficult if not impossible to kill.  We always respected our cats when they agreed to be part of our family.

Today's quote is one I'm not sure about.  It seems there are times I have a thought, but by the time I go to tell DH, my mind has let it go.  🤣

I have a very easy recipe for stuffed shells with spinach that the entire family enjoys.  However, as long as DH is taking blood thinners, it will not appear on our table.  I also have a recipe for stuffed shells in a vegetable garlic sauce that is very good.  I haven't fixed it in years since it's more involved to make.  We'll pass on the drink, and I think DH would say it's a waste of good Jameson whiskey.  We'll  also on the wine.

We have visited Moorea many times beginning in 1996 on Wind Star's Wind Song.  It is second only to Bora Bora as a favorite port.  I'll repost my pictures in a few minutes.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, sending positive thoughts for a successful surgery and quick recovery for your DH.  (((((HUGS)))))

@Vict0riann  Ann, safe travels to you and Pat today.  I'm glad you got to visit with your friends so the unexpected layover was not a total waste of time.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm so sorry about the aide leaving, but can understand the more money.  I hope the search for the new aide goes quickly, and you find a good aide who can handle the routine and any emergency.  Sending positive thoughts for good outcomes from your DH's doctor appointments.  Hope some of the family in the area can help Tana while you and DH are out.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for the information on today's days.

@puppycanducruise  I'm afraid the appliance gremlins may stick around until all of us replace our appliances.  😁  Maybe they were sent by the appliance manufacturers to boost sales.  🤣   In the case of our washer, it wasn't the gremlins but old age.

@cat shepard  Ann, sorry about the smoke from the wildfires.  The last meme also made me tear up, too.

@ocean sounds  It's good to see another dachshund lover on the Daily.  Neither of our two dachshunds liked thunder or fireworks.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm sorry you had such bad weather in Moorea.  It is such a pretty island on sunny days, and we've had both sun and rain on our visits there.  Loved the memes today.

@ger_77  Gerry, your DH's latest project sounds very interesting.  

@aliaschief  More great memes today, Bruce.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope you can get the shower glass installed at the earlier date.  

@dfish  Debbie, I'm glad the drain is working again, and the expert's charge was not too bad.

@sunviking90  Welcome to the Fleet/Daily, and we hope to see you here again.  We're a very friendly and welcoming group.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I started keeping spreadsheets on our cruising back in 2013 because we were booking so many in one year, therefore I can tell you that in 2014 on Golden Princess we did a private tour in Moorea with Hiro tours.  I don't remember the name Terry.  The tour was set up on Cruise Critic with roll call member @gdynianka .  The cost in 2014 was only $60pp!  Lunch, snorkeling, rays and sharks, everything.  I wonder what inflation has done to that price?

We found out very quickly about Southern time when we moved to Georgia.  So when they say 7:30 they really mean whenever I get there.  LOL

Very happy to hear the drain is unclogged.  Did he say whether it was roots or what?

Welcome to the Fleet Report and Daily!  It really is a great way to start the day.

We also did Hiro Tours after doing the tour first through HAL at $150 pp!

Last time there was 2019. I organized group of +30 people with Hiro and got price down to $50 pp!

• Like 12

Like Sandi, I wondered which kind of weed was being appreciated. I remember a county sheriff, decades ago, who announced that he had discovered a field of the other kind being cultivated in an outlying corner of the county. For several days he had deputies out there, pulling the plants up one by one. Then a botanist from the university visited and told them, "That's not marijuana."

If the shells are stuffed with ricotta, they're not for me. Lactose-free ricotta exists but is hard to find. The drink is a maybe, the wine more likely.

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just took a look at cruisemapper.com and see the Koningsdam getting into position at drydock in Portland Oregon right now.  It's quite a distance from the ocean

Portland is a major container port, the Columbia and Willamette rivers being navigable that far. In the days of wooden ships, captains liked to dock at Portland because the fresh water killed the barnacles.

I finally got the ratatouille made. I had forgotten how much eggplant there is in an eggplant, if that makes any sense. Fortunately, the zucchinis were quite large but not woody.

Should have auditioned for a Caribbean cruise:

flamingoguitarist.jpg.3f299c985507eb2e98795aad9871f2a5.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 9

Thank you for the Daily.  Welcome @sunviking90 Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

@Tbay Thanks for the tour company recommendation; unfortunately, we will not be in Brazil this trip.

@TiogaCruiser Thank you for the details of your South American tours. 

I have contacted enpatagonia.com to get more details about their tour. 

I am doing some more research into gvtourschile.com because of your negative experience with the company.  Any one else have experience with this company?

Could you provide any more information about the National Park tour you did with Edgrdo in Ushuaia?  I tried Googling but couldn't find that name.

@aliaschief  Did you or your DW organize any South American tours?

I appreciate any additional  insights the Dailyites can provide for tours in these ports:

• Montevideo (in port 15 hours) & Punta Del Estes, Uruguay
  • Puerto Madryn & Ushuaia (thinking Tierra del Fuego National Park), Argentina
  • Punta Arenas (in port for 12 hours) & Puerto Chacabuco & Puerto Montt, Chile (want to explore Patagonia)
  • Like 20

We have been to Moorea five times on Wind Star, Princess and HAL.  Most of our pictures are from prehistoric times before digital cameras, but I did find a few.

In 2002 on the APEC cruise on Volendam, Moorea was not a port.  Like Roy, we took the ferry from Papeete to Moorea, and rented a car.  In fact, we've rented cars there every time except 2007.  That time we took a taxi to the Intercontinental Hotel to snorkel.  The reef comes very close to the shore there, and the colors of the fish and coral are outstanding.  Sadly, the hotel was permanently closed last year.  Looking at Google maps a few minutes ago, it looks like there is a Hilton resort where the Intercontinental Hotel was or it's very near the site.

These first pictures were taken in 2007 at the hotel.

IMG_1467.thumb.JPG.e803361b1af7059aac346117586191f4.JPG

IMG_1475.thumb.JPG.7e847884542d15033f5dd6f5b35540a2.JPG

IMG_1476.thumb.JPG.656b2f289edaf1fe96e034500a68f61a.JPG

These were from our drive around the island in 2002.

IMG_2226.thumb.JPG.a3bdde623a3d14a60d8d407ae10041ca.JPG

IMG_2228.thumb.JPG.79387467f5607a95e13054bba4ab6320.JPG

IMG_2230.thumb.JPG.9e481841e0cfa5aecd5b88c63e7c70de.JPG

We stopped at a park where a tour was watching a feast being prepared.

IMG_2233.thumb.JPG.614afda3477045daa2c5b90dcf32c01b.JPG

IMG_2234.thumb.JPG.1ee9a9109136d9022170f03de5816036.JPG

A young man carrying on an ancient craft.

IMG_2236.thumb.JPG.bd2a0fb2351aa76ee456dbeaec4caa9c.JPG

Moorea is our second favorite port after Bora Bora, and our first cruise there was the best.  We sailed in at sunset on Wind Song, and then spent two days anchored in the lagoon.  The second day, there was a cookout on a motu put on by the ship, complete with a whole huge fish.  When we were not eating, we could snorkel.  The best part was it was my birthday.

The night in Moorea on Wind Song, dinner was a barbecue on deck complete with a roasted suckling pig.

In 1996, on the Wind Song, anytime the pilot was not on one the bridge, passengers could walk into the bridge.  One evening, probably in Bora Bora, we did and started talking to the young deck officer.  He even took us out on the bridge wing and pointed out the Southern Cross and other constellations.

Fast forward to 2016 on the Prinsendam and a talk with Captain Tim Roberts.  In 1996 he was a young officer on Wind Song.  We all decided it was probably Captain Tim who was the young office we talked with 21 years earlier.

It really is a small world.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

The first time we were in Moorea, I got my black pearl enhancer.  When we were back there a year later, I was lucky enough to find a pair of earrings to match the pearl.

DH found his videos and stills taken in 2007 when we were snorkeling off the beach at the Intercontinental Hotel.  Some of these pictures are stills and some are screenshots of the videos.  It is easy to see how shallow the water was.

SANY0015.thumb.JPG.394cb3a476b29a98acf9b6b4ff361bd3.JPGSANY0020.thumb.JPG.1e5b4e5306394f1574ed6929944695eb.JPGSANY0031.thumb.JPG.26997e47aadbfb1f95f3c48be03dbd2d.JPG

175405218_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.d6be36f51bec649e74f658a14b2d15a9.png1296273071_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.ad1e2225e0bd20aef4a378bbd87d2546.png

This is the hotel looking from the reef.

SANY0006.thumb.JPG.9de718e318a16876facd4d88b8db6f5d.JPG

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for your photos.  The underwater ones are great even from a video.  The fish are pretty cool.

23 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

We also did Hiro Tours after doing the tour first through HAL at $150 pp!

Last time there was 2019. I organized group of +30 people with Hiro and got price down to $50 pp!

Amazing!

15 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Like Sandi, I wondered which kind of weed was being appreciated. I remember a county sheriff, decades ago, who announced that he had discovered a field of the other kind being cultivated in an outlying corner of the county. For several days he had deputies out there, pulling the plants up one by one. Then a botanist from the university visited and told them, "That's not marijuana."

If the shells are stuffed with ricotta, they're not for me. Lactose-free ricotta exists but is hard to find. The drink is a maybe, the wine more likely.

Portland is a major container port, the Columbia and Willamette rivers being navigable that far. In the days of wooden ships, captains liked to dock at Portland because the fresh water killed the barnacles.

I finally got the ratatouille made. I had forgotten how much eggplant there is in an eggplant, if that makes any sense. Fortunately, the zucchinis were quite large but not woody.

Should have auditioned for a Caribbean cruise:

flamingoguitarist.jpg.3f299c985507eb2e98795aad9871f2a5.jpg

I found a photo of the drydock in Portland, Vigor.  

https%3A%2F%2Fvigor.net%2Fassets%2Ffacilities%2Fportland%2Fportland-oregon-aerial.jpg?fit=max&h=2400&q=95&w=2400&s=beeb0dcc9e528b634975c04344a982fc

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn,

If something on a stick is kabobs or fudgesicles, I'll take it. I don't appreciate weeds and don't have a cat (but many Dailyites will be respecting their cats). Not sure about the quote. I like the meal, although high carb. I'll pass on the drink but take the wine.

I haven't been to Moorea Island.

It's cool here, in the 30's with a high in the 40's; rain/snow tomorrow, but probably no accumulation. Not much on the agenda other than a MS Teams virtual meeting with my financial planner. Then BFF is coming by after a doctor's appointment to pick up his Dad's PC; I think the HD is bad and I couldn't get it up and running, after spending too much time on it. I messaged my Rheumatologist about my painful hand joint; she suggested a quick steroid pulse, but I think I'll just ride it out a bit as my next biologic shot is tomorrow.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for our start today. Great photos from Moorea. Sorry to hear about the roof leak. I leave on 4/21 for FLL.

@lvhh Oh no! I hope this doesn't start a new round of the appliances curse.

@RMLincoln Prayers for your DH and his surgeon as he undergoes his procedure. They should put a shield over the surgical eye so he won't rub it; my Ophthalmologist was conservative and had me wear it 24/7, not just at night while sleeping.

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations of the days.

@RedneckBob Yum, key lime pie on a stick sounds great! I haven't made it to Key West yet.

@Vict0riann Good thing you planned to arrive 2 days ahead! I'm glad you had an evening with friends. Safe travels to FLL.

@seagarsmoker Nice photo. Isn't it so tough going back to work after vacation?

@rafinmd Thanks for the alternate meal and the sunrise.

@smitty34877 I am so sorry to hear your aide left; I can understand her wanting better pay, but it leaves you in a lurch! (((Hugs))) I hope you can find someone new and good.

@cat shepard Sorry to hear about the nearby wildfires. 

@GTVCRUISER Nice photo.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I'm glad the plumbing issue wasnt too expensive.

@ottahand7 Safe travels to see your rheumatologist.

@kazu WTG on getting the garage door opener working. Good memes.

@ger_77 Your meal looks delicious, even though I don't eat salmon. 

@aliaschief Thanks for the laughs.

@Cruzin Terri You are inching toward the bathroom being completed. 

@sunviking90 Welcome to the Daily! Don't be a stranger.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos from Moorea.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

Good morning all!

Like several here, the only thing I want to eat on a stick would be chocolate covered ice cream or maybe a toasted marshmallow (to put in chocolate and a graham cracker).  No appreciation of weeds here, it's a constant battle to keep the weeds out of the lawn, and that's probably one thing I'll be doing today.  I respect every cat every day.  

Will pass on the drink and red wine, but the meal sounds very good.  Last night I made the 2nd recipe for Sweet and Sour Meatballs.  DH said it was a keeper -- I did have to add a LOT more cornstarch to thicken it up though.  Either it called for too much pineapple juice, not enough thickener, or both.  Very good though once I got it thick enough.  

We will be in Moorea next year on the Grand Australia.  We have a private tour booked.  Speaking of private tours, we're blessed to have someone on our roll call who has been great at arranging tours -- and I've booked several with her so far.  Unfortunately another tour I booked with someone else has caused some concern.  I just hope I still have a tour!...too long to go into here, but just say I appreciate those who are organized at arranging tours and keep up with their emails.  

@lvhh Very sorry to hear about your fridge problem!

Sandy @StLouisCruisersOh no, sorry to hear your roof problem continues.

Maureen @RMLincolnpositive thoughts for your DH as he has eye surgery today.

Terry @smitty34877I'm so sorry to hear that your aide has left!  Prayers that you find someone (a good someone) soon.

Debbie @dfish$125 isn't bad -- I'd be happy with that too!

@sunviking90Welcome to the Daily!  I hope we see more of you. 🙂  

Sandi @StLouisCruisersThank you for posting the maps showing where the Koningsdam will have drydock.  The K is our next ship in just a month.  I don't think we've ever had a cruise so soon after a drydock. 😄

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

If something on a stick is kabobs or fudgesicles, I'll take it. I don't appreciate weeds and don't have a cat (but many Dailyites will be respecting their cats). Not sure about the quote. I like the meal, although high carb. I'll pass on the drink but take the wine.

It's cool here, in the 30's with a high in the 40's; rain/snow tomorrow, but probably no accumulation. Not much on the agenda other than a MS Teams virtual meeting with my financial planner. Then BFF is coming by after a doctor's appointment to pick up his Dad's PC; I think the HD is bad and I couldn't get it up and running, after spending too much time on it. I messaged my Rheumatologist about my painful hand joint; she suggested a quick steroid pulse, but I think I'll just ride it out a bit as my next biologic shot is tomorrow.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for our start today. Great photos from Moorea. Sorry to hear about the roof leak. I leave on 4/21 for FLL.

@RMLincoln Prayers for your DH and his surgeon as he undergoes his procedure. They should put a shield over the surgical eye so he won't rub it; my Ophthalmologist was conservative and had me wear it 24/7, not just at night while sleeping.

@RedneckBob Yum, key lime pie on a stick sounds great! I haven't made it to Key West yet.

@Vict0riann Good thing you planned to arrive 2 days ahead! I'm glad you had an evening with friends. Safe travels to FLL.

@smitty34877 I am so sorry to hear your aide left; I can understand her wanting better pay, but it leaves you in a lurch! (((Hugs))) I hope you can find someone new and good.

@GTVCRUISER Nice photo.

Stay well everyone.

Yes, very hard indeed! 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Good morning, 

It's 32F at the moment with the sun out and a high of 60F predicted. I can handle that! 

Good news on the DH front. Yesterday he had his eyes open and he grasped my hand and squeezed it! His central line is out as is the Foley catheter. He's off of a lot of the medications. The bacteria has been isolated and he'll be back on an antibiotic for 10-14 days. We got words out of him!!! Mind you it was "owie, owie, owie" as they were putting in an IV but they were words. 

The doctor has changed from "doom and gloom" to a more optimistic outlook. DH may be moved out of the ICU today to a step-down unit. That will be for a couple of days and then to a regular bed. At that point he may be able to transfer back to our local hospital (which is smaller and not equipped for the bigger emergencies as he experienced) which is closer to us which would be nice. He may also be able to do the acute rehab program at the hospital. We'll just have to wait and see. 

We have some cruises booked and final payment is due on the first one - Westerdam, Alaska, July 1st. I'm considering canceling partly due to his health and I'm not thrilled with a few things such as the cabin (it's cramped as we've had it before.). Decision time in the next couple of days. 

Off to get cleaned up, have a neighbor for tea and then head to the hospital. Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers! They are working!

Karen

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

5 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@GTVCRUISER Nice photo.

Stay well everyone.

Vanessa, you have about 3 1/2 weeks then.  We will surely miss you while on Celebrity Apex for your transatlantic!  Time to start thinking of a replacement list keeper.🤔   Good luck with your biologic shot tomorrow and sorry to hear about the hand pain.  Every day is a new place to start having problems anymore, it seems like.  Too bad you couldn't get the  PC working after all that work!

2 minutes ago, highscar said:

With the K now in dry dock, wondering if they will replace the peeling seats in the lido. The only downside of that lovely ship. 

They should.  This is the perfect opportunity.  I have never been on the Koningsdam so I can't comment on the ship but peeling seats doesn't sound ideal!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser oh brother with those high temps next week!  DGS Ren and DS are flying to Dallas either tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning.  Ren was invited to join the new FC Dallas team in a tournament there next week.  But first he and his Dad have some business there.  Checking out the school and talking with the counselor.  The team has about 100 students who go to that high school and they have their own counselor.  DS will probably be looking at apartments for Ren and Mom to live in near the practice facility and the school.  DDIL may even decide to look for a job at a nearby University.  She has held different positions at U of Michigan in the past.  So things are coming along with Ren and DDIL's move down there around August 1.  The tournament is Monday to Wednesday I think of next week, after school hours.  Should be interesting and so nice of them to invite Ren down for it.  But quite a shock for a Michigander to feel 90 degree temps in early April!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@aliaschief  Did you or your DW organize any South American tours?

Yes DW organized and planned quite a few. We also did a pre visit to Machu Picchu and post Iguazu Falls. Sue is my personal Excursion Officer and does a fantastic job in planning great excursions. That was a few years back and wonder if she kept any info. She is presently on a cruise.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Like several here, the only thing I want to eat on a stick would be chocolate covered ice cream or maybe a toasted marshmallow (to put in chocolate and a graham cracker).  No appreciation of weeds here, it's a constant battle to keep the weeds out of the lawn, and that's probably one thing I'll be doing today.  I respect every cat every day.  

Will pass on the drink and red wine, but the meal sounds very good.  Last night I made the 2nd recipe for Sweet and Sour Meatballs.  DH said it was a keeper -- I did have to add a LOT more cornstarch to thicken it up though.  Either it called for too much pineapple juice, not enough thickener, or both.  Very good though once I got it thick enough.  

We will be in Moorea next year on the Grand Australia.  We have a private tour booked.  Speaking of private tours, we're blessed to have someone on our roll call who has been great at arranging tours -- and I've booked several with her so far.  Unfortunately another tour I booked with someone else has caused some concern.  I just hope I still have a tour!...too long to go into here, but just say I appreciate those who are organized at arranging tours and keep up with their emails.  

@lvhh Very sorry to hear about your fridge problem!

Sandy @StLouisCruisersOh no, sorry to hear your roof problem continues.

Maureen @RMLincolnpositive thoughts for your DH as he has eye surgery today.

Terry @smitty34877I'm so sorry to hear that your aide has left!  Prayers that you find someone (a good someone) soon.

Debbie @dfish$125 isn't bad -- I'd be happy with that too!

@sunviking90Welcome to the Daily!  I hope we see more of you. 🙂  

Sandi @StLouisCruisersThank you for posting the maps showing where the Koningsdam will have drydock.  The K is our next ship in just a month.  I don't think we've ever had a cruise so soon after a drydock. 😄

You are welcome!  I was very interested in seeing the ship head to the drydock and missed most of it, but was glad I caught the end of the journey.  The ship is expected in Vancouver on April 13.  Here is a map of her all set up in the same place that larger ship was in the photo earlier.

image.thumb.png.f151fbed808fced6749f164c33466209.png

12 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

It's 32F at the moment with the sun out and a high of 60F predicted. I can handle that! 

Good news on the DH front. Yesterday he had his eyes open and he grasped my hand and squeezed it! His central line is out as is the Foley catheter. He's off of a lot of the medications. The bacteria has been isolated and he'll be back on an antibiotic for 10-14 days. We got words out of him!!! Mind you it was "owie, owie, owie" as they were putting in an IV but they were words. 

The doctor has changed from "doom and gloom" to a more optimistic outlook. DH may be moved out of the ICU today to a step-down unit. That will be for a couple of days and then to a regular bed. At that point he may be able to transfer back to our local hospital (which is smaller and not equipped for the bigger emergencies as he experienced) which is closer to us which would be nice. He may also be able to do the acute rehab program at the hospital. We'll just have to wait and see. 

We have some cruises booked and final payment is due on the first one - Westerdam, Alaska, July 1st. I'm considering canceling partly due to his health and I'm not thrilled with a few things such as the cabin (it's cramped as we've had it before.). Decision time in the next couple of days. 

Off to get cleaned up, have a neighbor for tea and then head to the hospital. Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers! They are working!

Karen

Karen, that is great news!  I'm glad the doctor has a more optimistic outlook now.  Hopefully things work out so he can be moved to the local hospital.  Good luck with the decision on the July 1 cruise.  Worrisome having these things hanging over your head like that.  Have a good rest of your day!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Too early for me but anxiously awaiting the day to unfold -DH has eye surgery about 11:30. I’m trying to block out the fears and go with the flow!  

Best wishes for your DH’s eye surgery today 🙏🏻 

@lvhh so sorry to hear that you have been hit with the appliance gremlin. 😔. Refrigerators seem to be the bane of many of us over the last year or so.

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all!  We are in Toronto, as we missed our flight to Fort Lauderdale yesterday, but every cloud has a silver lining, as friends were able to join us for dinner here, and we had a lovely evening.

Sorry you missed the flight but so glad you got to enjoy dinner with J & J 🙂   Thank heavens you were flying out a couple of days early 😅 

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

We are once again without an aide as our newest one took a job that pays better. Although I completely understand I just feel like crying, something I usually save for  sad movies and commercials. Hospice people have tried to help but there are not a lot of folks lining up for such a difficult job. We have reached out to other local family members to help at least temporarily as I have to continue to get DH to his medical appointments. 

Well DAM 😢 So very sorry that you are aide - less again. I swear you are being tested to the limit.  I pray you can find some help soon 🙏🏻 You surely need it.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Drain specialist came and the drain is now working like a charm.  Only put me back $125.  I am rejoicing.  

Woo hoo!  $125 is pretty cheap for a plumber visit indeed.  I’d be rejoicing too 👍 

2 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Thank you to everyone who posts daily! I have never contributed but enjoy and laugh out loud at the memes and cartoons every morning, A great way to start the day!

Welcome to the Daily. 🙂 

22 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Oh this is great news 👍 I pray that improvement and optimism continues 🙏🏻 

21 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Good morning  Travel is an adventure. While boarding plane in Denver, hotel called.  Guess I am being moved to a different hotel in FLL!  Later!

Yikes!  I hope the new hotel works out for you 🤞 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Speaking of drains. I had a plumber tell me one time to never pour milk down a drain as it builds up and will eventually cause a clog. I then remembered how many times I had poured spoiled milk down the drain.

Glad you got it fixed and that is my Heloise tip of the day.

With all the things we're not supposed to put down the drain, it makes  you wonder why we even have them.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Very happy to hear the drain is unclogged.  Did he say whether it was roots or what?

Hair, lint, grease.  The clog was in a part inside the house and not in the main sewer line.  He looked at those and said all was fine there.  

34 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

Karen

Wonderful news!   Thanks for letting us know.   

• Like 18

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Just took a look at cruisemapper.com and see the Koningsdam getting into position at drydock in Portland Oregon right now.  It's quite a distance from the ocean.  

image.thumb.png.219aaba474143cd45f5d8dba546ff5e8.png

See its journey?image.thumb.png.afed92d39fc83a4e3e4a50a0772584cd.png

Wow...surprise...I'm tempted to drive up and take a peek....I think I left something in the Grand Dutch Cafe......but maybe I'll wait until it isn't raining a gale....:)

• Like 13
  • Haha 2