The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 3rd, 2023

richwmn

Today is Grab Some Nuts Day, National Watermelon Day, and National IPA Day

Well-behaved women seldom make history.--Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

Meal Suggestion for today - Mediterranean Chickpea Wedge Salad
Drink of the Day - Tokyo Collins
Wine of the Day - Ringbolt - Cabernet Sauvignon Margaret River 2021
Destination of the Day - Manila, Luzon Island, Philippines

Today in History:
1492 Christopher Columbus with Juan de la Cosa second-in-command sets sail on his first voyage with three ships, Santa Maria, Pinta, and Nina from Palos de la Frontera, Spain for the "Indies"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Koningsdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2100

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Oslo, Norway eta 04 Aug

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 0800-1800

Oosterdam

Argostoli, Greece

Rotterdam

Akureyri, Iceland 1000-1900

Volendam

At Sea destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska eta 04 Aug

Westerdam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Zaandam

At Sea destination Qaqortoq, Greenland eta 8/5

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Akureyri, Iceland eta 04 Aug

0803Alaska.thumb.png.54bff288477c2dbc60a75b6cb3fa8f26.png

0803Atlantic.thumb.png.b3a6e0378d5be3e3cea654d8f99966f0.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care list:

Ger_77’s DH having an angiogram today for increased angina

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-op, lung infection, on ECMO

Mamaofami’s DH Sam back in the hospital for brain bleed

1Angelcat’s friend Barb with surgery Friday for pancreatic cancer

NextOne’s friend Denny with a large stroke, and his DW Bonnie

Sharon in AZ’s family member’s situation

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Ill pets – Heartgrove’s Sam. Cruising sister’s Molly

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Smitty34877’s DH Lou getting chemo

Crusing-along’s niece Jeannine with MS recurrence

Catmando with eye infection; cancer recurrence, treatment being decided on

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Rafinmd working on getting stronger following pneumonia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday lazey! (Jane)! I was off by one day

RMLincoln’s DH’s good post eye surgery report

Congrats to Seasick Sailor on the adoption of Oliver!

Kazu’s Ivan doing better

Ger_77’s DH much better from gout attack

Cruzin Terri’s AC working again

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Copper10-8 (Nieuw Amsterdam Aug 6 to Aug 13)

AV8rix (Nieuw Amsterdam to Aug 13), Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23), StLouisCruisers (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 18

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

I like to eat various nuts as well as watermelon and drink IPA beer.

A very true quote because it tends to be misbehaving people who make the news.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone is safe and well 

Good wishes to all Dailyites to have a fantastic day.

Screenshot_20230803_113713.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Wedge salad is a favorite of many when having dinner in the Pinnacle Grill.  Today we have a Mediterranean Chickpea Wedge Salad.  Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans,  are considered to be both a vegetable and a protein because they're so nutritious. Some people even consider them a superfood. They are high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats and have a low GI. Potential benefits of chickpeas include helping control blood sugar, manage weight, and support heart and gut health. 

Mediterranean Chickpea Wedge Salad with Hummus Dressing  contains roasted chickpeas, crunchy vegetables, and a delicious creamy dressing.  The flavors are similar to what is found in falafel.

u5YGH-gEpCgklKH8gECPRMvVbzynOjET2Uc3dpC6

Wedge Salad with Crispy Chickpeas and Avocado Ranch Dressing that I think makes the salad feel luscious and creamy.  The tomatoes bring the brightness, and fresh herbs shower it with freshness. The supremely-spiced chickpeas bring the meatiness and crunch.

HJlsv7d7xdf7jRCk4CaEuzQkAX6vXk44_0ZVZMlZ

Here is a Mediterranean Chickpea Salad without the Wedge  Super quick to make, light and refreshing. No reason you couldn’t serve it over a wedge.

nRt9BygQz4k5nuQJykI9zGS4ftgZ2PoJ51xkPqXI

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes. May your life be good

• Like 19
  • Thanks 12

Good morning friends!  We are still 1 1/2 hours ahead of the east coast of the U.S. and the sun is rising very early it seems like.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report.

Yesterday we went to the stream trail in Corner Brook that Debbie and Sue went to.  I looked for them but we didn't run across them.  The line was long for the shuttle ride back to the ship so DH and I walked back.  It's not really that far.  We enjoyed the hike around the lake but wish the entire trail had been open for us.  Someone said there was a sinkhole under repair on a portion of the trail.  Oh well!

Prayers for all who are in need of them.  So many things going on in everyone's lives.  I keep up with the Daily during the day but don't always get a chance to comment.  I hope to hear good news on some of our most troubled Care list people.  Cheers to those celebrating!  Thanks to Vanessa, Tina, Dixie and Ann for their reports today.

The port of the day is Manila, Philippines which was our port on June 16, 2021 and Dec. 13, 2022.  Here are the links.  I haven't been before but appreciate all photos. 

Hope for good days for you and your loved ones.  Time to leave, the stewards want in the room for cleaning.  We are having lunch in the Pinnacle so had a very small breakfast. Talk to you later!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Toyko Collins cocktial:

Ingredients
1 ½ parts Suntory Roku® Gin
1 part Lemon Juice
½ part Simple Syrup
2 parts Club Soda
Garnish: Cherry, Lemon Slice

Instructions
Combine Suntory Roku® Gin, lemon juice and simple syrup in an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice, and top with soda. Garnish with a cherry and lemon slice.

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 6.52.23 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 14

Good Thursday morning.  Thanks for our daily reports.  No nuts to pass right now, I haven't had watermelon in a while and when I drink beer or ale it is always a light. I don't agree with the quote.  Thanks for the recipes @0106.  I love wedge salads, now that a second appetizer isn't $7 extra we can now ask for it chopped up and on top of our PGwedge salad again.   I hope the Tokyo CollinsI has some Japanese whiskey. Today's wine sounds like it will be a good Aussie CS. 

Prayers for Baby Murphy still on ECMO🙏. Prayers for everyone on our Care list and the people of Ukraine.   

We have another hot day ahead of us and then back to seasonal weather with cool nights and days in the 70s.  Yard work and fishing for me. John caught a nice walleye yesterday and it is in our holding trap in the lake.  Fishing is a respite for me lately, I can stand and fish from the front of the boat without getting breathless.  I am glad I made it until August until the smoke started getting to me.   Have a nice day everyone. Nancy

HxM9noPGSVeT8heHShEASA.jpg

IMG_20230802_102923093.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Just 1 day to Friday.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Tina, Dixie, and Ann.  I'll pass on the IPA and after @aliaschief's recent dental experiences I'll pass on the watermelon as well.  I will definitely grab some nuts today. 

For someone who didn't know where he was going or even where he had been Columbus certanly changed the world.  I think many of the women who made history (Rosa Parks, Suffrage pioneers, etc.) were believed to be not well behaved.

I have not been to the Philippines and will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Lychees with Kiwi Wedges, Chilled Raspberry Soup, and Perfectly Grilled Breast of Chicken as served on MS Prinsendam August 3, 2011.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich

Nice collections of days.  I’ll pass on that particular beer but will celebrate the other two days.  

Call me contrary but I disagree with the quote.  Does being aggressive, intelligent or outspoken make a woman not well behaved?  I don’t think so.  I consider women like Elizabeth I, Elizabeth II, Queen Victoria, Katherine of Aragon, Jeanne D’Arc (to name a few) to all be admirable women in history full of courage & strength for what what they believed in and all well behaved.

Love wedge salads - thanks @0106 and thanks always to @JazzyV, @summer slope & @cat shepard for their work on providing our Care list & F & B choices.

Ivan is making it hard to type playing fetch 😂 It’s week since his last pain pill now.  His last one was last Thursday 👏.  We are going to have to try to some serious gardening today 🤞 I am so far behind - seem to be in slow motion all the time 😔 

Speaking of gardens, I thought my peony had re-bloomed when I saw this dahlia from a distance.

IMG_1801.thumb.jpeg.03edd67976bf424730a4268a83cdf7a7.jpeg

Their flowers are totally different - like a peony, nearly.  Beautiful.  I only ordered 6 for my little planters afraid my old ones wouldn’t survive.  They are not what I thought they were - a very pleasant surprise.

IMG_1800.thumb.jpeg.cf765667604aef75ebc07484fe48f1b0.jpeg

A happy birthday one more time to @lazey1

So many people on our Care list in need of prayers 😔. My prayers are with them all but special ones for Baby Murphy, @mamaofami ‘s Sam, @ger_77’s DH today.  Prayers for everyone suffering and Cheers to those Celebrating.

IMG_0916.jpeg.fb61062d98697de1ecf94e07a4deafec.jpeg

Have a good Thursday everyone.

IMG_1798.thumb.jpeg.8b7d8cec2ddf1424eb97f83bc750c34e.jpeg

IMG_1799.thumb.jpeg.09e27fc3a47abf206b28d2a94c46d1a8.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s another beautiful morning but the humidity is expected to start building late in the day.  It will be another busy work day.  After several meetings this week I think the project is on track for next week.  I’d like some watermelon but will have some fresh strawberries that I picked up.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

Two years ago today.

image.png.1f9cbe4b2cf0ea9e558ba46d9537f32b.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  Thank-you for the daily report, recipes and lists.  Nice collection of days that will leave us well fed and watered.  Not sure what the context of the quote is so  no comment.  The meal and drink suggestions sound very tasty, we’ve been trying to eat more Mediterranean dishes here.  I have not been to today’s port. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list. Happy ________ to those of you celebrating happy events! 

• Like 25

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

We had rain overnight, but this morning is sunny and warm.  Bertie and I had a nice walk, looking forward to another one after breakfast.

A good collection of days.  I like nuts, watermelon and IPA (Alexander Keith's is my preferred brand).

I think the quote is meant to be provocative.

The meal suggestion sounds great, thanks for the recipes.

The drink sounds tasty too.  Hope the wine isn't too expensive.

Thanks again for pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.  Happy Birthday @lazey1

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 29

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all the contributors.

National Watermelon Day. My favorite day when growing up. Ate watermelon everyday as a kid. Has anyone ever had preserved watermelon rind? Delicious!

National Grab Some Nuts Day. Are you kidding. Do I want my post removed today. I want begin to touch this. 😳

• Like 9
  • Haha 14

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A bit of a marine layer this morning, after a night with such oppressive humidity that I hoped it would rain. 

I love today’s quote because of how we all interpret it a bit differently. I do believe that many people viewed the women who stood up against the wrongs of society as not well-behaved. I have been called a trouble maker by many people in my career, because I questioned wrong doing and poor decisions. I wore that badge proudly and it landed me in an amazing position from which to end my career. 

Vanessa, thank you for taking the time to scour our posts and share important happenings with us. Bindi walks, chores, Zumba & maybe some pool time should fill my day. @0106 I am going to use that hummus dressing recipe. Sounds amazing, Tina!

IMG_1563.jpeg.9a53eb70b6514b3e4c8b8c910fcd331f.jpeg

IMG_1557.jpeg.f07c20bc06f50e71c01114f91867c6cc.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. @lazey1 Happy Birthday for real! @Mr. Boston getting really close!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Ringbolt - Cabernet Sauvignon Margaret River 2021

A lively, easy to find, reasonably priced Australian Cab with a lot of fans. Available from numerous online distributors with prices starting at $15.90.

Winemaker Notes

Crimson in color. The nose is classic Cabernet Sauvignon from Margaret River. Layers of intensely flavored ripe forest berries infused with tobacco leaf, blackcurrant, sea spray and a hint of brooding cedar oak. The medium-bodied palate revels in bright berries and a spicy mid-palate freshness. A fine expression of varietal definition from a cool vintage that yields soft luscious tannins and a long, fresh finish.

Enjoy with Angus beef fillet topped with garlic poached marron (what the locals refer to as steak and lake), or char-grilled kale with brown rice and onions

JS91  James Suckling
A fresh and youthful cabernet with aromas of blackcurrants, red licorice, rosemary, graphite and tobacco leaves on the nose. Medium-bodied with fine-grained tannins. Excellent freshness and drinkability. Drink or hold.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 7

It’s cool this morning so I’ve opened up the house. It’s been nice(r) the last few days (in the low 90s F) but I could do without the humidity. This weekend it will be triple-digits again. 😥

Prayers 🙏 for those on the care list, and for everyone who needs them.  Cheers 🎉 for all the celebrations, especially @Cruzin Terri’s AC working. And thank you all for caring and sharing. 😘  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  74 degrees here, cloudy.  Might rain?  Very humid.  I once again have a PT discrepancy- my schedule says 10, their email says 9.  DH has tried since last week to reach his oncologist, and no one has called him back.  So he is going to tag along with me for the PT, and then head downtown and we are just going to show up and hope that either the nurse will talk with him, ot that the doctor will.  He wants to go with the immunotherapy, but with his own doc, but he cant reach his doc, and is wavering about changing to Winship.  If he can get the same treatment from either, wouldnt you stay with the doc you know?  Who knows you and your complete history.? 

And then work this afternoon and evening.

a3bf95667786c6e15aa9f84715eb187f.jpg

9b7ea7e597cab13a23c48fd0dc8f45f7.jpg

306d5702cd2c8a4a1d8d66047b778e0c--kliban-cat-cat-scratching.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

We had Sue's family from Ohio overnight earlier this on their way to Virginia Beach. They had rented a house for the week near the beach. Four adults and three children surprised Sam I'm sure. Everyone was amazed at how big he actually is compared to photos! Sam finally discovered that we have a  screened porch. We have an outside set of stairs down from the porch I determined that are too steep for him to manage with his rear legs. Juno loved being out there (even winter) if she couldn't be down in the yard. Alaskan Malamutes like to have a perch that they can lay and observe their realm. Sam is actually doing much better overall right now but does things occasionally that are not his norm. Today for some reason left a portion of his food. I'm wondering if the tumor is getting larger as it compresses his stomach?

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need today.

- Jack

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning to all. Went out to dinner with neighbors last night and I definitely blew my diet. Mainly a seafood restaurant that overlooks a marina but after a half dozen oysters I had their half pound hamburger. It was so good and I’ll be back on diet today. We have an appointment with a lawyer today as our new irrevocable trust is finalized. Glad we got that done and it should make it easier on our children but I hope not soon.

Will visit Manila next year as we have an overnight stay on our cruise.

Lot’s of folks having health issues so know that your in our thoughts and prayers.

Bruce

image.jpeg.7bb6f9064295f79b7fbb48c7d8d124dc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a1e8fa372728edbc389cfd3f5b81cd9f.jpegimage.jpeg.aac661d6f8c4abb15aabd9e968970460.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.689782892d180b7a536c75e8259211ef.jpegimage.jpeg.0b2d7ecde4a38454db35ba00034e643a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0a4147d17378e97bd2b2bec73eb4cd7a.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Haha 14

Good morning from a sunny and warming central Texas.  It was already 82F when I took my walk a few minutes ago.  Since I have a couple of early errands, I'll repost my pictures of our 2018 Coral Princess visit to Manila.  When I get back, and probably after breakfast, I'll come back and read the Daily.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thanks for posting the links.  It seems the wifi is working better on the ship.

We were in Manila on October 31, 2018, on Coral Princess.  These are the pictures I posted on June 16, 2021.

As far as Manila itself was concerned, we did a quick drive through of the city, and my pictures out the bus window are not good.

We did a tour that took us out of the city to Taal Lake, with stops along the way.

The view of Manila as we sailed into port.

DSC05726.thumb.JPG.64dcdd87b51d8e191d1e856057610067.JPG

DSC05727.thumb.JPG.b4c2a1948657b8eee59aa09bbcb64571.JPG

We were greeted by one of the local bands.

DSC05730.thumb.JPG.7a6eea8ece3187888addfbe50c7c4a45.JPG

A couple of pictures of the Jeepneys that are the main "public" transportation in the Philippines.   Some have set routes. They were originally made from Jeeps left at the end of WWII, but now they use many different vehicles.

DSC05741.thumb.JPG.14ff32a132c17df7347fe896ef95d0ae.JPG

DSC05742.thumb.JPG.d1790011eaf6570b64f40364039da8b2.JPG

Our first stop St. Joseph Parish Church in Las Pilas to see the 19th century bamboo organ.

DSC05743.thumb.JPG.d2dbbe1c921415e3b163e3b281d89a48.JPG

DSC05744.thumb.JPG.922accd7ffbbf1cf5dd8eb34fab03eb3.JPG

DSC05752.thumb.JPG.98571121998ff2cd1516ab6023f02e01.JPG

DSC05753.thumb.JPG.00b0279ab61bcb2059c55b9e65079138.JPG

DSC05754.thumb.JPG.aee961882e72d07232d331f6a125555d.JPG

Our next stop was the Jeepney "factory", the term used in the tour description.  I'll let you decide if it's a factory.

DSC05763.thumb.JPG.20d574c7da12a5c0265f29bd5fc33a53.JPG

DSC05758.thumb.JPG.ba90155fd46c5e3bb6b418584e297637.JPG

DSC05761.thumb.JPG.6c25c183f3c3952d83d6d9e4f42553f3.JPG

DSC05762.thumb.JPG.362298f1a0eaceb6a42359d1d9a234c6.JPG

And their inventory control.

DSC05768.thumb.JPG.ec5a88de186b62cd48578f936b464801.JPG

In another post I'll share pictures of our final destination and the trip back to the dock.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

I'll finish our 2018 tour, and I did find a few of downtown Manila that aren't horrible.

From the Jeepney factory, we went to Taal Lake for a buffet lunch of Filipino food, and a view of the lake and Taal Volcano, which erupted in 2020.

A view of the lake, which is a caldera with a cone inside.  It was very humid so the distance pictures are a little hazy. 

DSC05782.thumb.JPG.1372e7293ddc42cb3669e95916a30631.JPG

DSC05775.thumb.JPG.a9901fd999c60b3d96c86a48fb9a997e.JPG

Next door to the hotel

DSC05777.thumb.JPG.2e0bcdcce1f60c3906c6c94ba85253d6.JPG

The hotel and the grounds.

DSC05773.thumb.JPG.af8d160a3fb4f5fa6a4d739b67b41166.JPG

DSC05789.thumb.JPG.604200ed96c1b873955e426ad2718892.JPG

DSC05779.thumb.JPG.ab4706f09855100a835c22d3847b7b12.JPG

DSC05780.thumb.JPG.9e92fbad68d884ea611050336b0e3a9d.JPG

DSC05772.thumb.JPG.596bf5723bff927f8c394e218a6cb869.JPG

On the way back to Manila, we stopped at a roadside market where they were selling fruit and flowers.DSC05791.thumb.JPG.b445aad90f77365ad9e6e9d1fe13d4b0.JPG

Manila traffic

DSC05795.thumb.JPG.3bcb436c5c2d21fc930b9162126b54cd.JPG

One of their malls

DSC05792.thumb.JPG.578eacefe32f9e371aab50453a3466ce.JPG

A quick view of some of downtown from the bus

DSC05796.thumb.JPG.9d19e4d317fbe5977f6b6b81df047ff5.JPG

DSC05797.thumb.JPG.079c970d58ca1dc9844bffe49f425685.JPG

DSC05801.thumb.JPG.d3ba8b125b1f6774616125f16ffde64d.JPG

We had another band for our sail away.

DSC05803.thumb.JPG.bf8fa00ca21d1810d44e0053fb66b515.JPG

One last view of Manila

DSC05810.thumb.JPG.61511fdba20d27291495f9c171af4707.JPG

The next morning, we saw a lot of these little boats near the ship.  We were told that the fishermen rowed our to the fishing grounds.  This was many miles off shore.

DSC05818.thumb.JPG.5a7d26fd9b9249f2d917f56087fb5298.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Good morning. We have another nice day ahead  with temperatures  to the mid eighties.I love most nuts and have to restrict myself when they are available. Watermelon is a great snack.I recently tried a salad with watermelon  and feta that was very good.Chick peas are popular here and I even make a soup when we have leftover greens  to use up.I agree with Jacqui @kazu about the quote.

I am thinking of Sam, Murphy and @ger_77'  s DH today and sending extra prayers.

Hope the day is a good one for all

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3