The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday January 19th, 2024

kazu

42 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

The recruiter just called and it sounds like I will be getting an offer on that job very soon. 🙂 Thanks again to everyone here for the support! 🙂 

Woo hoo! I will not break out the champagne 🍾 until it is official.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Snowy here — looks now that we will get about 4 inches.  DH Bill went out with his driver/ helper last night and stocked up our refrigerator and freezer.  We can be good for many days, if necessary.

Sorry to hear of so much stress and illness.  Prayers to all.  Thanks to everyone who gives us information each day.  I have never been much of a writer but I certainly enjoy all reading all of your posts.  Have a great day.  Katherine 

• Like 25

@ger_77 We’re sad you had to cancel your cruise, and for the reason. Hoping for an early procedure date. Then you’ll be looking at new cruises!!  @Haljo1935 hoping your shoulder can improve quickly and you can get back to the fun stuff!  @seagarsmoker Yay! What grand news!!  I hope the offer is good for you and you can enjoy the job. 

Thank you all for your sympathy. I know how you understand from your own experiences, and I more than appreciate you, I credit you with a lot of my better managing through tougher days. ❤️

I’m learning quickly that Aging is a phase of dealing with losses - loss of our own capabilities and loss of loved ones and friends, connections. It’s not something I have felt well enough prepared for while getting here through other phases of life, but I am finding that I am developing a broad range of coping skills dealing with loss, or at least starting to develop them. It really is a different perspective for me. I think my best days are from feeling deep gratitude for the present, something that wasn’t totally lacking before but something I’m much more aware of now.  I can do today, and do it well!  I can do it well because of the loving connections that carry me, and I count you all in that category!  

I find joy in all the fun happenings here even if I’m not cooking, drinking or cruising now. These are all deeply woven into who I am, and a change in environment or activities doesn’t change that. And the shared concern for each other and our larger families and world is life enhancing!  Thanks for being here! 💓 m—

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  The only potion I'll be brewing is tea today, as I'm sure the cauldron is still out in the snow.  I think I still have a good memory . . .  Yes, I do love popcorn and usually have a big bag of it in the house for afternoon snacks.

The weather has certainly moderated, as this morning we're sitting at a less than hateful -19C (-2F), and a wind chill of -26 (-14), so even with the wind it won't be like hitting an arctic blast when we go outside.  I'm sorry for those of you who aren't used to a lot of snow who are getting it right now - and @kazuwhose area seems to get every storm there is on the East coast, no matter the season.

@VMax1700sending good thoughts that your DW feels better soon.

Well yesterday wasn't the very best - DH had a call first thing in the morning from our doctor (he never calls) to say the tests show that he has a leaking aortic valve and will be looking at a replacement.  The cardiologist's office has been notified, so now we wait to see when it can take place - not sure, as it isn't deemed an emergency yet.  So, having said that, I had to call our lovely TA and cancel the cruise we should have been taking in only 2 weeks time.  I took the countdown off the fridge, emptied the suitcases and put them back downstairs in storage, put all our cruise clothing back in the closets and drawers, and cancelled our FLL hotel.  Sigh.  We have to get DH healthy so I can start all over again, as I not only love cruising, I love the lead-up to it.

I'm going to take a pass on the drink of the day, would really love to try the champagne, but it's hugely out of my budget, and would like to sample the chili.  It's Friday night pizza night at our house, so after picking up a new medication for DH, we'll head to a nearby restaurant to pick out something hot and cheesy to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

First, get your husband fixed and then you can plan and plot again

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a partly cloudy Quartzsite.  It is 44F and we should reach 71F today.  Not too much on the agenda, but I hope to begin getting the things I want to pack for our cruise together.  We normally don't pack until the day before we leave, but I like to have things ready to go into the suitcase so the packing goes a little more quickly.

I doubt I'll brew a potion today, and I think my memory is still pretty good.  It's been a while since we popped any popcorn, but maybe we'll have some this afternoon.

I generally agree with today's quote, but there is some variety we can do without.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.

We have not been to Elephant Island.

Three interesting days in history, one saw progress for everyone, one progress for women, and the last a very sad day in cycling history.

@Haljo1935  I hope you can get the dog to the vet so she can get her medicine.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, our condolences on the death of your NM friend.

@dfish  Debbie, please wish brother Bill a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY and a VERY HAPPY RETIREMENT for us.

@1ANGELCAT  I hope the motorized chair will make Steve and his wife's lives easier as he recovers.

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm sorry your DH did not sleep well last night, and that your left hip is bothering your.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm sorry your DH needs a valve replacement, but glad they found the problem early.  I'm also sorry your had to cancel your cruise.

@cunnorl  Charlene, thank you for your pictures of Elephant Island.  I hope we can get there someday.

419155336_10159258436356431_5256555788244601840_n.jpg.6373db115b2058fc5c2a409a75bedec5.jpg

419743822_10211407595822948_8250753997706399766_n.jpg.b5d541cb13a8bc4f26050a00c0aa1d87.jpg

419899391_10222385765465367_5505073552247292463_n.thumb.jpg.94d95264a760fa7718e739e3d451be07.jpg

420159053_777107814451122_4444316639699014277_n.jpg.69f60f9747c6f6719b6ddac051b90365.jpg

419763614_688001676822288_5266025747494800006_n.jpg.5202ee88c6be1356d8ecc27027fb52d7.jpg

420036951_122122846796138001_7486024645354525686_n.jpg.d4fc2c3e9f39b1fd902f10a4609e979f.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 21

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @kazu and @richwmn.

I won't be brewing any potions today except for coffee. A good memory is a blessing, and I hope to keep mine. Popcorn is a good snack. Good quote. Not sure about the meal, and pass on the drink and wine ($$$). I have not been to Kangaroo Island. 2 good days in history, and 1 shameful one.

It's 25F out and lightly snowing. We got about 2.5" overnight, and will pick up another 1"-2" during the day today. It's very quiet as nobody much seems to be out and about. I'm sleepy. I think it's a Benadryl hangover. I forgot my injection on Wednesday, and almost yesterday, taking my pre-injection Benadry very late at 11pm. I'll be inside today working on my diamond painting, and trying to see if I can find a number for the radiologist's office.

@grapau27 Joy is back home now.

@ottahand7 I hope you're feeling better today.

@Crazy For Cats That sounds like a no fun day at work yesterday!

@kazu Ugh on the temperature and the uncooperative driveway. 

@RMLincoln My condolences on the sudden loss of your NM friend. Surviving a ruptured AA is hard even in the big city.

@dfish Early Happy Birthday to DB Bill and congrats to him on his retirement!

@1ANGELCAT Prayers for Steve's wife trying to handle his recovery. I sometimes think I should have gotten one of those recliners that lifts up to help you get out of it.

@marshhawk I hope you get some relief from your hip discomfort. 

@ger_77 Sorry to hear about DH's aortic valve leaking, eventual surgery, and the need to cancel your cruise. I'm sure that was a sad task, but he needs to get healthy first. BFF's DF needed valve replacement, but being afraid of doctors and hospitals, waited until it caused congestive heart failure. They had to fix that, then he had replacement surgery and did very well.

@cunnorl Thanks for the KI photos.

@seagarsmoker Continued crossed fingers for that job offer!

@HAL Sailer I hope you and DH are doing ok.

@Cruzin Terri Let's hope the US will give the podiatrist a clue about what's going on with your foot.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

3 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @kazu and @richwmn.

I won't be brewing any potions today except for coffee. A good memory is a blessing, and I hope to keep mine. Popcorn is a good snack. Good quote. Not sure about the meal, and pass on the drink and wine ($$$). I have not been to Kangaroo Island. 2 good days in history, and 1 shameful one.

It's 25F out and lightly snowing. We got about 2.5" overnight, and will pick up another 1"-2" during the day today. It's very quiet as nobody much seems to be out and about. I'm sleepy. I think it's a Benadryl hangover. I forgot my injection on Wednesday, and almost yesterday, taking my pre-injection Benadry very late at 11pm. I'll be inside today working on my diamond painting, and trying to see if I can find a number for the radiologist's office.

@grapau27 Joy is back home now.

@ottahand7 I hope you're feeling better today.

@Crazy For Cats That sounds like a no fun day at work yesterday!

@kazu Ugh on the temperature and the uncooperative driveway. 

@RMLincoln My condolences on the sudden loss of your NM friend. Surviving a ruptured AA is hard even in the big city.

@dfish Early Happy Birthday to DB Bill and congrats to him on his retirement!

@1ANGELCAT Prayers for Steve's wife trying to handle his recovery. I sometimes think I should have gotten one of those recliners that lifts up to help you get out of it.

@marshhawk I hope you get some relief from your hip discomfort. 

@ger_77 Sorry to hear about DH's aortic valve leaking, eventual surgery, and the need to cancel your cruise. I'm sure that was a sad task, but he needs to get healthy first. BFF's DF needed valve replacement, but being afraid of doctors and hospitals, waited until it caused congestive heart failure. They had to fix that, then he had replacement surgery and did very well.

@cunnorl Thanks for the KI photos.

@seagarsmoker Continued crossed fingers for that job offer!

@HAL Sailer I hope you and DH are doing ok.

@Cruzin Terri Let's hope the US will give the podiatrist a clue about what's going on with your foot.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV.

I thought she might be home now but hadn't seen her post so I was hoping Joy @Seasick Sailor was okay.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@1ANGELCATplease tell your friend to make sure that the chair she buys has a battery backup. In case of a power outage while he is sitting in it, it will be nigh on to impossible for her to get him out. Happened to my sister recently with her dh in a sudden power outage. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the caring my friends, it's nice knowing others are supportive.  It is disappointing, but I know things could be far worse, so I will just continue to roll with the punches.

@RMLincolnI am sorry to learn of the passing of your friend; it's always difficult losing someone who has been an important part of our past.

@seagarsmokeryay for you - I hope you get all you want from this new job!

@marshhawkhow is Chuck doing this morning, and how are you???

Another reason for my being a downer this morning is our danged internet kept cutting in and out - I'd be in the middle of something and then the "circle of death" would appear on the screen.  I finally did the ultimate and unplugged the router, went and got a cup of tea and it seems to have fixed the issue.  If only all problems were so easily fixed!

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It is 39°F in North East England.

3 nice days and quote.

We have never been to today's port although Pauline's cousin who lives in Adelaide Australia has been many times.

I hope everyone is fit and well.

I hope Joy  is okay as I don't remember seeing her posts recently.

Hopefully she is still having a fantastic cruise.

Good morning Graham.  Thank you for thinking of me. 

I've been crazy busy since getting home Sunday night. DH Doctor appts,  labs, puppy to groomer, paperwork.. normal things that happen while away.

Best wishes to you and Pauline. Xx

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, 

The only potion I'll be brewing is my tea and I like popcorn especially the 100 calorie bags of Smartpop I get at Costco. It's slowly starting to warm up but it's taking awhile. My outside temp is 30F with rain falling. All the school districts in this county are 2 hour late start but the county to the north of us has them all closed except the university. 

My friends and I are rescheduling our lunch out today. The main roads, if I could get to them, are fairly good but getting there is the rub. My friend walked out to her mailbox and almost fell from ice so I'd be concerned about the parking lots as well. We can get together next week. 

Meanwhile another day at home. I have lots to do here as I'm having DD DH's family for Christmas on the 28th so it's time to start cleaning, etc. 

@ger_77 so sorry you had to cancel but it's the right move. Hope all goes well for your DH and you can get this taken care of soon. 

Karen

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for well wishes for me.  I am now paying back all the hours the Prednisone kept me awake taking a nap this afternoon. I am tapering the dose to 30 mg today and tomorrow.  We were just in beautiful Dominica last March so I don't feel bad about doing nothing.  John is being a patient trooper. 

@RMLincoln I am sorry to read about your friend's passing.  

@ger_77 I am sorry about your DH heart issue and that you had to cancel your cruise.  

Have a lovely day.  Nancy 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  The only potion I'll be brewing is tea today, as I'm sure the cauldron is still out in the snow.  I think I still have a good memory . . .  Yes, I do love popcorn and usually have a big bag of it in the house for afternoon snacks.

The weather has certainly moderated, as this morning we're sitting at a less than hateful -19C (-2F), and a wind chill of -26 (-14), so even with the wind it won't be like hitting an arctic blast when we go outside.  I'm sorry for those of you who aren't used to a lot of snow who are getting it right now - and @kazuwhose area seems to get every storm there is on the East coast, no matter the season.

@VMax1700sending good thoughts that your DW feels better soon.

Well yesterday wasn't the very best - DH had a call first thing in the morning from our doctor (he never calls) to say the tests show that he has a leaking aortic valve and will be looking at a replacement.  The cardiologist's office has been notified, so now we wait to see when it can take place - not sure, as it isn't deemed an emergency yet.  So, having said that, I had to call our lovely TA and cancel the cruise we should have been taking in only 2 weeks time.  I took the countdown off the fridge, emptied the suitcases and put them back downstairs in storage, put all our cruise clothing back in the closets and drawers, and cancelled our FLL hotel.  Sigh.  We have to get DH healthy so I can start all over again, as I not only love cruising, I love the lead-up to it.

I'm going to take a pass on the drink of the day, would really love to try the champagne, but it's hugely out of my budget, and would like to sample the chili.  It's Friday night pizza night at our house, so after picking up a new medication for DH, we'll head to a nearby restaurant to pick out something hot and cheesy to enjoy at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Sorry to hear about your DH needing a valve replacement. Had my valve replaced in 2016 and it definitely improved my overall being. Bruce

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!   Stay warm and keep well all!  Love the popcorn! 

@cat shepard I would love a taste of that wine!   We splurged on a vintage champagne and while I enjoyed it, I am perhaps just as happy with a much cheaper version.   
@seagarsmokerYay!  So happy for you! 
@RMLincoln my condolences on the loss of your friend!

@ger_77 I am sorry to hear your news!  Hoping he can be scheduled soon,  our friend had that surgery in November and is now enjoying Hawaii.  so a quick recovery is possible.  It’s always hard to cancel things we are looking forward to.  But so glad you know what is needed to be done. 

I love the unusual flowers! 

IMG_0297.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Segment 2 will take us to these ports of call. Easter Island is about a fifty per-cent chance but we are there for two days. We have some movement today from our 3-5 foot swells. 
Off to another lecture.

image.jpeg.a569d3e93f47ce90df6b84adbdb84ee9.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

The only potion I'll be brewing is my tea and I like popcorn especially the 100 calorie bags of Smartpop I get at Costco. It's slowly starting to warm up but it's taking awhile. My outside temp is 30F with rain falling. All the school districts in this county are 2 hour late start but the county to the north of us has them all closed except the university. 

My friends and I are rescheduling our lunch out today. The main roads, if I could get to them, are fairly good but getting there is the rub. My friend walked out to her mailbox and almost fell from ice so I'd be concerned about the parking lots as well. We can get together next week. 

Meanwhile another day at home. I have lots to do here as I'm having DD DH's family for Christmas on the 28th so it's time to start cleaning, etc. 

@ger_77 so sorry you had to cancel but it's the right move. Hope all goes well for your DH and you can get this taken care of soon. 

Karen

Karen, I'm glad you erred on the side of caution and postponed your lunch with friends until the weather and roads are better.

2 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Thanks everyone for well wishes for me.  I am now paying back all the hours the Prednisone kept me awake taking a nap this afternoon. I am tapering the dose to 30 mg today and tomorrow.  We were just in beautiful Dominica last March so I don't feel bad about doing nothing.  John is being a patient trooper. 

@RMLincoln I am sorry to read about your friend's passing.  

@ger_77 I am sorry about your DH heart issue and that you had to cancel your cruise.  

Have a lovely day.  Nancy 

Nancy, I hope you are feeling better.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!   Stay warm and keep well all!  Love the popcorn! 

@cat shepard I would love a taste of that wine!   We splurged on a vintage champagne and while I enjoyed it, I am perhaps just as happy with a much cheaper version.   
@seagarsmokerYay!  So happy for you! 
@RMLincoln my condolences on the loss of your friend!

@ger_77 I am sorry to hear your news!  Hoping he can be scheduled soon,  our friend had that surgery in November and is now enjoying Hawaii.  so a quick recovery is possible.  It’s always hard to cancel things we are looking forward to.  But so glad you know what is needed to be done. 

I love the unusual flowers! 

IMG_0297.jpeg

Interesting and lovely flowers, Brenda.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

@dfish Thanks Debbie! And the green chile stew would be a treat!  In NM they make it with pork, onions and potatoes, a tad of oregano. There the broth isn’t usually thickened so it’s more soup-like. And green chile is a staple there!  The Chile can be hot, medium or mild. It’s often served in restaurants in a very big bowl. With fresh flour tortillas.   I used to make a pot whenever DH had a sinus infection, usually from spring allergies. I could use some in this cold!  Thanks! m—

That sounds really good and I'd like to try that!  Thanks!

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm sorry to hear that your DH has an issue that requires surgery, but the good news is that there is a remedy.  I know it was so disappointing to have to cancel the cruise and while the condition isn't deemed an emergency yet, you sure don't want it to become one while on board a ship.  The next cruise will be even better than the one you had to cancel.

4 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

The recruiter just called and it sounds like I will be getting an offer on that job very soon. 🙂 Thanks again to everyone here for the support! 🙂 

YES, YES, YES!!!!!   I hope the offer comes very soon and is everything you want it to be!

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@dfish  Debbie, please wish brother Bill a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY and a VERY HAPPY RETIREMENT for us.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish Early Happy Birthday to DB Bill and congrats to him on his retirement.

Thank you both!  He'll be very confused when I tell him Lenda and Vanessa wished him a happy birthday!   

Time to get cooking!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon Dailyites 

Goodness, so much happening with our Daily family. Prayers lifted for all of us!

@ger_77 Gerry what the heck!! You tell Maurice to get well right this minute! He's not allowed to stop the flow of cruising!! Seriously,  give him a hug for me. 

My sorrow and prayers go out to those who have lost family members and friends. 

Vanessa, you are amazing posting our cares, prayers, celebration and cruising lists while you yourself are in pain. Thank you!

Oliver has been such a good boy. He loves our sitter, but when I'm here, he sticks to me like glue. It's cool here and I got him this sweater. He doesn't want to have it off. 

20240118_204952.thumb.jpg.8b52cc36cf0163cbae514139bf0c8be4.jpg

I made some pumpkin apple cream soup for my friend who is under the weather, and it's just about done, so better get going. 

Wishing everyone a blessed day. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all (only just morning - 15 minutes to go).  Sorry to hear about your DH, @ger_77, mine needs a new valve, too, but it's for aortic stenosis.  We'll see what the cardiologist says next week.  I'm hoping recovery will be quick, we have a cruise booked in October, but it's just as well we cancelled our spring cruise.  I'm worried he won't be allowed to fly, or drive...

Debbie, Happy Birthday to your DB!  Surprise him...    

Still very white here, but it is raining and the white stuff is slowly disappearing.  The reservoir is up to 89%, hope we reach 100% before the end of the month.  As the population grows, we use more and more water.

Prayers going out for everybody!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@aliaschief is there any scuttlebut yet about the possibility of the Red Sea situation affecting your cruise>

Roy

Lot’s of discussions but no announcements. One discussion floating around ship is that they would fly us ahead and a minimal crew would take the ship through Red Sea. The other would be Africa which would really change the itinerary. The majority of us on full voyage are very well travelled and flexible. Will just have to wait and see.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Graham.  Thank you for thinking of me. 

I've been crazy busy since getting home Sunday night. DH Doctor appts,  labs, puppy to groomer, paperwork.. normal things that happen while away.

Best wishes to you and Pauline. Xx

Thank you Joy.

I'm pleased to hear from you and that you are both well.

Graham xx

• Like 12

Back from Wegamans about noon.  The roads in my immediate neighborhood were awful but the rest of the trip not too bad and improving.  Wegmans was running pretty normally *they also have a covered garage) and I got everything I wanted except for grapes.

Roy

• Like 20