Enforcement of Bottle Beverages at Miami port

It’s not the taste; I don’t know what it is. There is something in the ship’s water that make my feet and ankles swell so I can’t get shoes on and my skin is stretched so tight it hurts. 
Since I started bringing water the swelling doesn’t happen. 
This is on both Princess and Royal, and I don’t want to go back to any of the others. 
Princess charges more than the stores do, but it isn’t nearly as high as Royal’s price. 
The freshwater they produce on board still contains a modicum of salt. It's only a few ppm -- certainly not enough to taste -- but still more than most other freshwater. The water produced on board is used for everything. Cooking, making ice, soda fountains, brewing tea and coffee, etc. So if you are salt sensitive, it could have a cumulative effect.
  • Like 1

Two weeks ago … Symphony ….I tried to take on four bottles of wine.

Usually, I would just say "we have two cabins" - this time they wanted to verify the boarding docs that an adult was actually on the reservation in each cabin.

So, I'd say yes, they are cracking down. 

8 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Usually, I would just say "we have two cabins" - this time they wanted to verify the boarding docs that an adult was actually on the reservation in each cabin.

I don’t have a problem either. I like that we are able to bring on a small amount of soda or water, and two bottles of wine per cabin. I would hate if abuse made this allowance disappear. 

M

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, hapster85 said:
2 hours ago, jagsfan said:
It’s not the taste; I don’t know what it is. There is something in the ship’s water that make my feet and ankles swell so I can’t get shoes on and my skin is stretched so tight it hurts. 
This is on both Princess and Royal, and I don’t want to go back to any of the others. 
Princess charges more than the stores do, but it isn’t nearly as high as Royal’s price. 

The freshwater they produce on board still contains a modicum of salt. It's only a few ppm -- certainly not enough to taste -- but still more than most other freshwater. The water produced on board is used for everything. Cooking, making ice, soda fountains, brewing tea and coffee, etc. So if you are salt sensitive, it could have a cumulative effect.

Food is the only thing out of the items you mentioned that I would be involved with. 

I know they’re pretty generous with salt so I don’t add any. No ice, no soft drinks, and  no coffee or tea. 

I am ok if I don’t drink the water. I have gotten used to drinking it before and after meals. 

It’s not a big deal, and I’ll bring on 12 bottles and order some in the cruise planner. I just don’t think they should charge astronomical prices for something everyone should be drinking more of. 

41 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

- this time they wanted to verify the boarding docs that an adult was actually on the reservation in each cabin.

until passengers are delayed for 4 minutes during that process and royal come up with the idea that all passengers need to board fast so they can spent money onboard lol 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jagsfan said:

A friend of a friend said yesterday that she has various bottles like mouthwash ready to decant various liquors into. 

I told her they’re onto that and it will be confiscated. 

She bet me $5 her hooch will get through. 

Normally with my luck I don’t bet, but I can use $5. 

I hate, though, that they’re getting so tough on water! 12 bottles for 7 days for 2 people is a little stingy. Especially for the Caribbean!

As opposed to when you weren't supposed to bring on ANY water according to policy.  At least you can now bring on 12 bottles in compliance to the policy

• Like 2

So the rule is 12 regular sized bottles of water is allowed? Or is it by the length of the cruise? We are on Anthem 5 days next month and I was planning on bringing 10 bottles. Is that going to be allowed? Thanks guys.

9 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

So the rule is 12 regular sized bottles of water is allowed? Or is it by the length of the cruise? We are on Anthem 5 days next month and I was planning on bringing 10 bottles. Is that going to be allowed? Thanks guys.

12 containers per stateroom, no matter how many guests in the stateroom, regardless of cruise length.  Each container no larger than 500ml.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Good for them. Problem is when people get greedy is when privileges get taken away for everyone. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Buying bottled water is bad enough. Buying it at Royal’s price would be embarrassing. 

Yes and no. They don't really make huge Profit of Evian bottles as they do on everything else. $39 for 12 on Royal when it's $11-13 for 6, $22-26 at onshore stores. I miss the days when Soda was free with meals on Royal ships, but at least they still allow some water/soda bottles as carry on. Always bring 12ct 16.9oz bottles pop carry on each cruise.

So, we’re on the Anthem next month... if I pack bottle water in my suitcase and check it with the porter, do you think there will be any problems? What if I pack my two bottles of wine, too? I would really rather not pay for it on broad, but I don’t want to lug it around for two hours until cabins are ready either. 

2 minutes ago, Bobbysjack said:

So, we’re on the Anthem next month... if I pack bottle water in my suitcase and check it with the porter, do you think there will be any problems? What if I pack my two bottles of wine, too? I would really rather not pay for it on broad, but I don’t want to lug it around for two hours until cabins are ready either. 

It will be detected and your luggage will be held down below in the "naughty room".  Instead of having your bags delivered to your stateroom, you will have to go down, open your bag and show the bottles.

At that point, they will either let you have the bottles of water or confiscate them for violating the policy that requires you to carry them on yourself.

Use a small suitcase with wheels as your carryon, and you won't be "lugging it around".  You'll be comfortably wheeling it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yes and no. They don't really make huge Profit of Evian bottles as they do on everything else. $39 for 12 on Royal when it's $11-13 for 6, $22-26 at onshore stores. I miss the days when Soda was free with meals on Royal ships, but at least they still allow some water/soda bottles as carry on. Always bring 12ct 16.9oz bottles pop carry on each cruise.

I had said in a much earlier post I would bring 12 and order some through the Cruise Planner. 

I didn’t notice it was Evian.

I guess I’ll definitely without. That and Perrier both hit my taste buds wrong. 

2 hours ago, Bobbysjack said:

I most definitely would not put your wine in your checked luggage.  Red wine splashed all over your clothes?  No...not for me.  We have no problems at all taking on 2 bottles of wine in our carry on bags.  DH has one in his, I have one in mine...they are rolling bags.  Hardly know they are there.  

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I had said in a much earlier post I would bring 12 and order some through the Cruise Planner. 

I didn’t notice it was Evian.

I guess I’ll definitely without. That and Perrier both hit my taste buds wrong. 

You can get water bottles at any bar.  Not Evian, but some minor brand.  Tastes fine to me.

I agree, Evian tastes bad.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:46 PM, jagsfan said:

The water on board, even though it is filtered, contains higher concentrations of salt which cause the swelling. I've seen it on longer cruises and took a test kit last time.

29 minutes ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

The water on board, even though it is filtered, contains higher concentrations of salt which cause the swelling. I've seen it on longer cruises and took a test kit last time.

According to the Chief the water on-board a ship contains almost no minerals including salt.  What is most likely causing your ankles to swell is the lack of potassium (also non existent in ships water)  which plays a role in balancing  your salt intake which has increased from all the salt in the food.

On 8/24/2019 at 4:36 PM, mcatmcat said:

until passengers are delayed for 4 minutes during that process and royal come up with the idea that all passengers need to board fast so they can spent money onboard lol 

We boarded crazy fast in PC last week. Around 11am.  Less than ten minutes