Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

54 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

It hasn't been a good couple of days in our house.

After the AC fiasco a few weeks ago we thought we were done with big fixes. Nope.

Wed night John thought the computer was running slow. He took it out to the garage to blow out the dust. Has done it many times. Tjus time when he hooked it back up, trouble. DEAD AS A DOORNAIL.

Did some looking around...it might be this, or this, or a new computer. He got ahold of a computer place that had done some work for his boss and took it over there. Just a dead power supply. They had one in stock and now we're up and running.

Then, I noticed the ice maker wasn't making ice. Oh boy. It could be this, or this, or new unit. He bought a new filter, punched some buttons (why not?) and whew! it's making ice again.

Oh, but we're not done yet spending money. He came up from the basement today and the dehumidifier was not working. The compressor was running way too hot so he couldn't fix this one. It's kind of important that it gets replaced ASAP as we have a LOT of magazines in the basement that we sell in our shop and for some silly reason people don't like to buy moldy paper. So new dehumidifier is now humming away in the basement.

What do they say about things in three's? I'd say we're done! 

It’s like when it rains it pours. I can’t tell you how many times the big 3’s have happened to us. We’ve gotten to to the point after the first one we look each other and say “ok what’s the next two going to be?”

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The problem started right before he had his transplant in 2017.   He's been told compression socks may help but he doesn't want to wear them especially in the summer.   So he tries to manage as best as he can but every now and then, usually after eating a big meal or middle of night is when it tends to be a problem.

His transplant doc asked him if he wanted to be part of a case study another Doc is holding at Penn Medicine but he didn't want to go into Philadelphia 2 to 3 times a week.    We see his transplant doc in mid August will ask how the study is going.

I have a similiar problem.I wear compression socks from 9AM to 9PM every day.I wear socks for diabetics from 9AM to 7 AM.I am not diabetic but my Vascular doctor suggested that I wear them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

Anyone going on an 8 day on Allure, can you post the menu for dinner on the 8th day?

All I can find is 7 days plus breakfast on the 8th. 

We are going on an 8 day Allure in October.   Our 8th day diner will probably be Chops.  😆   Here is a pic of what the app says it will be in the MDR on the 8th day.  It a long scrolling pic so it will probably post narrow and you will have  to spread it out.  If it doesn't work let me know and I will get several small pics to post.

Edited by Ozark_Kid
The pic was too long. I will try again with several regular pics.
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Are you SURE you are getting off?😄

😁 Unfortunately yes. I was going to book the next one about a week before this one sailed, but when I looked again the price had doubled. 🤨  To make up for it I decided to book the September 3rd and the 11th which will make a b3b to the September 17th cruise. 😁

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Yes still a tender port. To me, it looked like it has lost its glory days. Many establishments have closed down or not reopened or consolidated into one store. Kind of sad for a thriving port. However, the duty free had somewhat of a crowd.  The Royal Palms is no more, since some beaches got eroded. 

We stayed in town, walked around. Tenders were plenty and not packed. Carnival Vista and Liberty of the Seas were moored. They were tendering to South Terminal tender dock. Celebrity tendered us to the North terminal.

I have not seen Georgetown this quiet. My favorite restaurant Paradise Cafe on the waterfront has shut down, as some others.

I think the government screwed Grand Cayman with their COVID restrictions for so very long.  An economy based largely on tourism cannot survive that long without any tourists, and GC kept themselves closed off for far longer than reasonable (IMO).

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I see there has been some discussion about ice cream.  I said that Skyline Chili was the thing that I missed the second most about Cincinnati behind my daughters.  The thing I miss the third most is Graeter's Ice Cream.  It's easily the best ice cream that I've ever had...especially their flavors with chocolate chip in them as the chocolate chip is actually huge chunks of high quality chocolate.  Oprah said that it was the best ice cream that she's had (or something to that effect) on her show a few years ago and there was a tremendous amount of ice cream ordered online the next day.  Well worth ordering an admittedly expensive dry ice packed shipment of 6 pints (for $80 shipped) if you're an ice cream afficionado.  

When I was a kid my dad delivered milk to supermarkets in Manhattan also ice cream mix to caravels ,once a summer I joined him and when we delivered to a carvel owner gave me anything I wanted. Loved carvel ice cream. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

It’s like when it rains it pours. I can’t tell you how many times the big 3’s have happened to us. We’ve gotten to to the point after the first one we look each other and say “ok what’s the next two going to be?”

I'm paranoid. Waiting for another shoe to drop. Can't be the car...was T-boned last April going to the dentist. Not much left!

• Like 3

@bobmacliberty That chocolate chip ice cream ( my favorite) sounds delicious. The company ships ice cream in dry ice ?

Very tempting...😉

@Bailey & Sophie You have had a string of difficulties. Hoping things settle down for you. As one  of my Mom’s health aides would tell me, “ Don’t say what’s next ! That is jinxing yourself.”

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Keksie said:

My friend who lives closer to the coast then we do sent me this picture yesterday.  The bear walked between her house and her neighbor's house and then across the street.  They are more common in her area then in mine.  I would love to see a bear in my yard!

Resized_20220714_123858.thumb.jpeg.f619c7cea4952d0c3a8dc9ac50c5bd99.jpeg

Stupid bears and tenants. The house across the street from our other house in the Sierra foothills became an AirBnB. Which is fine....except that garbage pickup is on Mondays. If they leave at any other time after their stay and put their trash out in the cans, the bears get into it. The bears knock over the cans and drag the trash out everywhere. 

We're not living up there yet, and just see it on the cameras. But they will have to make some sort of arrangements when we do move up there. Because I do not want bears in the front yard. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 7

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

I think the government screwed Grand Cayman with their COVID restrictions for so very long.  An economy based largely on tourism cannot survive that long without any tourists, and GC kept themselves closed off for far longer than reasonable (IMO).

Grand Cayman said they were doing quite well without tourists and had no plans of opening up any sooner than they did. 

Of course, they didn't talk to small vendors. And they have always been sort of a banking haven. :classic_smile: Some folks were still doing well. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

Grand Cayman said they were doing quite well without tourists and had no plans of opening up any sooner than they did. 

Of course, they didn't talk to small vendors. And they have always been sort of a banking haven. :classic_smile: Some folks were still doing well. 

And they have more yachts per square inch registered there than any country.

• Like 2

Good late morning.

It is currently 65°F and sunny here in North East England at 11.35am with a high of 72°F later this afternoon.

London is nearly always the hottest area in the UK and a new record of 40°C around 104°F is forecast for next Monday and Tuesday.

We are expecting mid 80sF here next week.

I hope everyone stays safe and have a fantastic weekend.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Coralc said:

Stupid bears and tenants. The house across the street from our other house in the Sierra foothills became an AirBnB. Which is fine....except that garbage pickup is on Mondays. If they leave at any other time after their stay and put their trash out in the cans, the bears get into it. The bears knock over the cans and drag the trash out everywhere. 

We're not living up there yet, and just see it on the cameras. But they will have to make some sort of arrangements when we do move up there. Because I do not want bears in the front yard. :classic_rolleyes:

There are trash cans specifically designed to keep bears out.  Not only does the trash not get spread around but it keeps the bears from associating the cans with food and becoming nuisance bears.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Up in Boston for the day. I think it has been three years now since I've been here due to a cartain virus. It feels really good to be back hanging out in this great city.

One of my favorite cities, although I'm a little biased because I was born there.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

One of my favorite cities, although I'm a little biased because I was born there.

Walking along the Charles River right now on the Esplanade. Beautiful weather today to be here. 

• Like 12

51 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm actually from NH, but I support MA too (even with their teams and such) since I spend a lot of time there (I'm heading out to the Cape again soon!), so I'm a bit biased too!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a similiar problem.I wear compression socks from 9AM to 9PM every day.I wear socks for diabetics from 9AM to 7 AM.I am not diabetic but my Vascular doctor suggested that I wear them.

Eric is not diabetic either but maybe I should check out diabetic socks and see if available in ankle or crew style then he would probably wear them.       Thanks Lenny and take care.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brillohead said:

Yes, it was very sad to hear from @Arzeena that so much has been shutdown/out of business.     We used to love stops at Grand Cayman.      

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I eat one hot dog every two years.When I was in my teens I ate a lot in Nathan’s in Coney Island.

When we were young we ate every kind of junk food that now is supposedly not healthy ,yet when we were kids nobody got sick from all these foods.

Lenny, when we were kids we didn't suffer from cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, adult onset diabetes, etc., etc.  We just weren't concerned at the negative outcome back then.

I'm getting tired of our seemingly non stop 100+ degree temps in the Dallas area.  Going to reach 105 later in the week.  I don't know how many days of 100+ temps we had in a row but it's a lot!  No rain in sight.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I didn't realize until now that they serve breakfast at Park Café.  Has anyone had breakfast there?  What do they serve? 

I wandered by during breakfast and saw some breakfast sandwiches, scrambled eggs, bagels, danish, donuts and fruit.     We usually prefer WJ for their fresh made to order omelets, eggs benedict, or I like to get some of the indian dishes.      We also like JR's.    Maybe once per cruise will we do breakfast in MDR.     

• Like 1