CDC No Sail Order July 16 Update

HaveWeMetYet

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruise lines canceling cruises does nothing to address virus concerns. The virus is not going to disappear in time. A miracle should not be plan A.

Read the CDC paper if you want to learn about the CDC requirements and the lack of acceptable responses from cruise lines. One of the reasons cruise lines are having 3 different covid conferences/working groups is to try to pressure the CDC into ignoring science and their own guidelines.

Well that is one way to look at it.  Another way is to father as ma t ans as much expertise so that a true best of breed can be gathered.  3 responses might get affirmatives in different  areas.  Imagine the cdc working together with the cruise lines.  What a novel thought.  Or we can just rip the cruise lines.    

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well that is one way to look at it.  Another way is to father as ma t ans as much expertise so that a true best of breed can be gathered.  3 responses might get affirmatives in different  areas.  Imagine the cdc working together with the cruise lines.  What a novel thought.  Or we can just rip the cruise lines.    

How about the cruise lines working with each other first, and coming up with a consensus? If they can't agree with each other, that's a problem you can't blame CDC for.

I do understand triple dissimilar designs and the theory behind that is that all three won't make the same mistake. But that is only effective if all three designs are on the same ship and then you are golden.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, airdale said:

jimbo5544, have you read the news article about the Argentina fishing trawler being out 35 sea days, the crew having quarantined for 14 days and all tested negative prior to sailing?  Some crew started getting sick while out and when they arrived in port, 57 of the 61 member crew tested positive for COVID 19!  HUM?  Don

Hi

On a quick glance you would think something was fishy 😀.

Here is a link to the story... https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-argentina-fishermen-trawler-ushuaia-covid19-echizen-maru-a9621716.html

At least someone is actually looking in to it. My first impression is that someone lied/cheated. Very often you realize that someone who might be afraid of losing their job, is just not telling the whole truth and that's what the fear is about cruises restarting. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, airdale said:

jimbo5544, have you read the news article about the Argentina fishing trawler being out 35 sea days, the crew having quarantined for 14 days and all tested negative prior to sailing?  Some crew started getting sick while out and when they arrived in port, 57 of the 61 member crew tested positive for COVID 19!  HUM?  Don

Listen, we can’t bate what the “right” amount off quarantine should be.  When you read what you posted you read that the outloook is dismal and we should quarantine for 2 years, when I read I read someone lied about the quarantine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

How about the cruise lines working with each other first, and coming up with a consensus? If they can't agree with each other, that's a problem you can't blame CDC for.

I do understand triple dissimilar designs and the theory behind that is that all three won't make the same mistake. But that is only effective if all three designs are on the same ship and then you are golden.

I would love the cruise lines to work together a cohesive unit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I would love the cruise lines to work together a cohesive unit.

I thought the major directive of the CLIA was to do just that. Am I missing something here? [won't be the first time, lol]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

I thought the major directive of the CLIA was to do just that. Am I missing something here? [won't be the first time, lol]

Their job is to be the spokesperson for the industry.  Coordination of effort In this regard, might not be in their job description but it a win or lose across the board scenario. Despite the bashing from escape From ct, they will part of the aolution, not part of the problem.  

33 minutes ago, coevan said:

How can you say the executives have failed when their hands are tied and NO ONE knows what the next 2 months will bring. The ties are probably as frustrated as us.

They were given clear requirements for resuming sailing.  Waiting to see what the next two months will bring, is what has brought the cruise lines to this point, they were waiting to see, not working to meet the requirements.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

They were given clear requirements for resuming sailing.  Waiting to see what the next two months will bring, is what has brought the cruise lines to this point, they were waiting to see, not working to meet the requirements.

Do you expect cruise lines to be more proactive now coming up with some kind of plan(s) to possibly resume operations in the not too distant future or are the growing number of people predicting no cruising until possibly 2022 more likely to be correct. 

Well dang... I bought stock in CCL/RCCL/NCL and am still ahead.  Hope for a cruise end of Oct. but I just don't know what to think. Sadly for me and others what we think or hear is most likely the tip of the iceberg and whether it's good or bad the majority is hidden from us.

Now who has a glowing orb that can give me some stock advice?🙄

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Do you expect cruise lines to be more proactive now coming up with some kind of plan(s) to possibly resume operations in the not too distant future or are the growing number of people predicting no cruising until possibly 2022 more likely to be correct. 

I think there will be some progress made, but some foot dragging as well.  Some of the requirements are quite onerous, financially, so they will address the easy topics and defer the hard ones.  There will also need to be serious negotiations with US hospitals as to whether they will sign contracts to take patients from the ships.  And, the longer the US fails to control the virus, the longer the most onerous requirements will remain in place.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2020 at 8:44 AM, SCDreamWeaver said:

And if there is "no vaccine", ever...then we have Covid #20, #21, etc....

I'm thinking this.

The "Spanish Flu" took YEARS to go away. 

However, I still have two cruises booked. I'm thinking the November one ain't happening.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well they surely don't want to test heard immunity with 3,000+ guests. Tough to make an educated decision when the outcome is completely unknown. 

1 hour ago, drerickson77 said:

I'm thinking this.

However, I still have two cruises booked. I'm thinking the November one ain't happening.

at least with the flu of 1918 is it was mandated to wear a mask or go to jail.

CDC Extends 'No Sail Order' by Two More Months

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention has issued an extension of its No Sail Order that was due to expire July 24, extending it until September 30, 2020, for all cruises out of U.S. ports of call.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5467/?et_cid=3345900&et_rid=16914174&et_referrer=Popup_Main

8 hours ago, Joe817 said:

CLIA is a stupendously incompetent organization with a vile track record. Its accomplishments throughout the coronavirus crisis have been ZERO.

And if the CDC remains fiercely mistrustful of the cruise industry, put the blame where it belongs: The under-performing execs at CCL, RCI and NCL as well as the empty suits of CLIA.

47 minutes ago, alibaba1 said:

CDC Extends 'No Sail Order' by Two More Months

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention has issued an extension of its No Sail Order that was due to expire July 24, extending it until September 30, 2020, for all cruises out of U.S. ports of call.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5467/?et_cid=3345900&et_rid=16914174&et_referrer=Popup_Main

Today was a bad time for Cruise Critic to send that email. For a second I was afraid it actually was another two month extension which would've canceled another cruise for me. It's just old news they decided to email out today for some reason.

Today was a bad time for Cruise Critic to send that email. For a second I was afraid it actually was another two month extension which would've canceled another cruise for me. It's just old news they decided to email out today for some reason.

As usual, you’re spot on!! The Cruise Critic article was dated July 16. The link was provided by the poster on the evening of July 19. Absolutely nothing to do with Cruise Critic, it was old news by then.

7 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I agree it’s old news but it’s also a likely precursor of a future notice. 

11 hours ago, drerickson77 said:

I'm thinking this.

Hopefully, medical science is more advanced than it was 100+ years ago and will come up with a solution.

I would agree that the November cruise is not likely to happen.

9 hours ago, RD64 said:

The Bahamas have now banned flights and commercial ships from the United States - you can’t blame the CDC for this decision.

Thanks for sharing.

This is horrendous news for our favorite cruise lines, IMHO - much worse than the CDC's recent no sail order extension.  The private islands are all located in the Bahamas, and Nassau and Freeport are key stops if available because they're so close to many embarkation ports.  The PVSA still applies and there seems to be almost no pressure to modify it.  That means cruises have to stop in a foreign port.  With the Bahamas out and Cuba out, there's not much left.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I suspect, but do not know, that CC simply sent out a weekly "news highlight story", which of course was going to be that big news.  Useful for folks that aren't here everyday, but not so useful for those of us that are already aware.

On 7/17/2020 at 3:29 PM, jetsfan58 said:

My belief is that since Florida will play a major role in the Cruise Industries return, they need to lead by example and require mask for everyone going out. Also opening Disney was absurd. Sometimes you don't need rules; Just Common Sense! 

Amen!!!

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 1:55 PM, Saint Greg said:

I was on Panorama when it was held over an extra day due to a COVID-19 scare. There was no social distancing that extra day. A lot of people went to bed early but other than that...the bars were packed. There wasn't any distancing there or in food lines or shows or anything like that.

https://saintgregtravel.com/panorama-coronavirus-day/

I took a cruise on the IMAGINATION, which was waiting in the harbor, for your PANORAMA to disembark (a day late) before we could board. A real cluster. To be fair, there were no masks or social distancing because at this time these preventative measures were essentially unknown.

Edited by glrounds