Quantum returning to port - possible coronavirus case onboard.

37 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

It IS POSSIBLE to keep coronavirus off a ship. The International Space Station has remained coronavirus free by multiple weeks of total isolation of new crew and material. The issue is that paying cruise passengers are not willing to give up those weeks of their lives in isolation. 

What?  The ISS has 6 people on it.  Furthermore, it's the flipping International Space Station.  Do you think they are just going to let astronauts do whatever they want 2 weeks before blasting up to space?  NO.  They are in a controlled environment so there is little to no chance of contracting Rona before blasting up to space.  Is that even possible for most people taking cruises?  NO.   WE HAVE TO GET TO THE SHIP SOMEHOW.  IS THERE A CHANCE WE COULD PICK UP THE VIRUS ON THE WAY TO THE SHIP?  YES.  Don't even bring up "but you have a mask on!" Anyone starting to think that masks aren't AS EFFECTIVE as we think they are?   Will the test at the pier pickup the virus we contracted 3 hours earlier - I'm not sure?  Would lean towards NO. 

1 hour ago, biff-tannen said:

Nope. It's looking likely that, for this particular instance, Rona was, in effect, not on the ship. Someone just thought she was.

Great news!!! Screwed up the whole trip though.  Rona testing is a disaster

16 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Thank you that was what I was referring to. I also wonder how many false positives come up with those tests. We really don't hear about that. There is too much risk on the table for me to even think about cruising before the majority of the population is vaccinated. I don't want to be turned away before boarding or quarantined with a terminated cruise because one person tests positive.

my apologies for typing you "handle" wrong.    

I think I heard the PCR test is 80% accurate.     All depends which test by which manufacturer.    It goes both ways - false positives and false negatives.

19 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

WE HAVE TO GET TO THE SHIP SOMEHOW.  IS THERE A CHANCE WE COULD PICK UP THE VIRUS ON THE WAY TO THE SHIP?  YES.  Don't even bring up "but you have a mask on!" Anyone starting to think that masks aren't AS EFFECTIVE as we think they are?   Will the test at the pier pickup the virus we contracted 3 hours earlier - I'm not sure?  Would lean towards NO. 

Masks are only a small part of helping us.    I heard on local news they are asking everyone to go back to the recommendations made in the Spring as most people, stores, restaurants, etc. stopped spraying down the shopping carts, disinfecting chairs and tables, countertops, your cell phones, etc etc.      Avoid touching your face is something almost everyone has problems with.    And I hardly see anyone use the purell or wipes at the store entrances / exits anymore.      

I believe the average person is 3 to 8 days before they will test positive after contracting the virus. 

Another reason why RCL wants to restart cruises for 3 or 4 nights.   

16 hours ago, HowardK said:

I'm waiting until 2023 at this point - are the ships going to be able to recirculate air in the corridors besides the rooms as I read they would be working on air systems?

2022 is indeed pessimistic. Once the vaccine has been distributed we can expect things to change quite rapidly in the following few months. I am 57 with no underlying health issues and I expect the vaccine (UK) by the end of March at the latest. This should be the case in many countries.

We have TA cruises booked for March and April and they certainly will not go ahead but our one in October should. I also expect the USA to open up for foreign citizens flying in approx March/April. My wife and I have a 2 month road trip booked for Canada/USA arriving 26th May - I certainly expect to be able to do that one.

One thing is certain - no proof of vaccine, no cruising with RC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

However, whether the test was a true or false result, it appears the response to one possible case, at least for now, is lock down the ship and terminate the cruise.

Are enough people going  to accept this risk to get cruising restarted in a meaningful way in the U.S.?

Not me.  I love cruising but until things are back, or very close to the way they were pre-covid, then I'll look for different ways to travel for a year or two.  That may mean more travel in the US and that can only benefit our economy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

What?  The ISS has 6 people on it.  Furthermore, it's the flipping International Space Station.  Do you think they are just going to let astronauts do whatever they want 2 weeks before blasting up to space?  NO.  They are in a controlled environment so there is little to no chance of contracting Rona before blasting up to space.  Is that even possible for most people taking cruises?  NO.   WE HAVE TO GET TO THE SHIP SOMEHOW.  IS THERE A CHANCE WE COULD PICK UP THE VIRUS ON THE WAY TO THE SHIP?  YES.  Don't even bring up "but you have a mask on!" Anyone starting to think that masks aren't AS EFFECTIVE as we think they are?   Will the test at the pier pickup the virus we contracted 3 hours earlier - I'm not sure?  Would lean towards NO. 

Great news!!! Screwed up the whole trip though.  Rona testing is a disaster

i think the point of the post you quoted was that it is possible to have a covid free environment. The fact that some would not be willing to conform with the necessary protocol is not material. 

Cruising is a luxury.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Digjharper said:

2022 is indeed pessimistic. Once the vaccine has been distributed we can expect things to change quite rapidly in the following few months. I am 57 with no underlying health issues and I expect the vaccine (UK) by the end of March at the latest. This should be the case in many countries.

We have TA cruises booked for March and April and they certainly will not go ahead but our one in October should. I also expect the USA to open up for foreign citizens flying in approx March/April. My wife and I have a 2 month road trip booked for Canada/USA arriving 26th May - I certainly expect to be able to do that one.

One thing is certain - no proof of vaccine, no cruising with RC.

Remember everyone has to get 2 doses of the vaccine, I think 21 days apart.     

To have everyone vaccinated by end of march is not an easy task.      We haven't even begun in the US.      I recently learned that I will be at the bottom of the list of getting vaccinated since I am 53 with no health issues even though my DH is very high risk as an organ transplant recipient.     Someone that is 30 or under will get vaccinated before me.

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

i think the point of the post you quoted was that it is possible to have a covid free environment. The fact that some would not be willing to conform with the necessary protocol is not material. 

Cruising is a luxury.

The NBA was quite successful, other than in the early stages,  in containing C19 as the league required the players and staff to stay in a bubble environment.  Question, can cruising achieve the same results if proper protocols are followed.

Ps.  Can't remember if testing was done every or multiple times a day.

29 minutes ago, Digjharper said:

My wife and I have a 2 month road trip booked for Canada/USA arriving 26th May - I certainly expect to be able to do that one.

I sure hope your travel plans are a go....but several Canadians that regularly post on CC are saying the rumor is their borders will remain closed till September 2021.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Masks are only a small part of helping us.    I heard on local news they are asking everyone to go back to the recommendations made in the Spring as most people, stores, restaurants, etc. stopped spraying down the shopping carts, disinfecting chairs and tables, countertops, your cell phones, etc etc.      Avoid touching your face is something almost everyone has problems with.    And I hardly see anyone use the purell or wipes at the store entrances / exits anymore.      

This has been my experience as well. There is only one supermarket in my area that still places an associate at the entrance to monitor capacity and wipe down carts and offer sanitizer.  They still have one way aisles as well.

Every time there's a reported case onboard a cruise ship, the media (mainstream and social) goes ballistic, with many doing their happy dance - "see? We told you cruising would never be safe!"

But when the initial reports turn out to be false positives, they're nowhere to be found. Typical. Which is why I am not basing a blasted thing on what the media says. What I choose to do (or not to do) is ZERO PERCENT dictated by what I read online. Too many people with an axe to grind or forming opinions based on ignorance and speculation. Nope.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

However, whether the test was a true or false result, it appears the response to one possible case, at least for now, is lock down the ship and terminate the cruise.

Are enough people going  to accept this risk to get cruising restarted in a meaningful way in the U.S.?

Considering the cost of a cabin, the cost of flights, hotel, etc, just to get to the port on-time, and then to have it all taken away because of one positive test -- not likely.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Remember everyone has to get 2 doses of the vaccine, I think 21 days apart.     

To have everyone vaccinated by end of march is not an easy task.      We haven't even begun in the US.      I recently learned that I will be at the bottom of the list of getting vaccinated since I am 53 with no health issues even though my DH is very high risk as an organ transplant recipient.     Someone that is 30 or under will get vaccinated before me.

Our heart transplant nurse is not sure if they can get the vaccine.  Right now live vaccines are prohibited  as well as being around the grandkids if they get the live vaccine shots such as the chicken pox shot.  They just don’t know how the immunosuppressed will respond.

36 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I sure hope your travel plans are a go....but several Canadians that regularly post on CC are saying the rumor is their borders will remain closed till September 2021.

I live in BC just outside of Vancouver. I'd be shocked if the land border between Canada and the US is open before summer 2021.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Nope....that is the news reports.  90% of every news report is either false, or truth stretched.  Don't believe everything that you are told

I'm guessing the 10% that is truth is the side you are on.

Keep on ignoring the experts and continue staying home rather than cruising, if it ever starts back up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. We have cruises booked in April and May with the full knowledge and understanding that if "something happens" on our cruise, that it (1) will be terminated and (2) that we may be quarantined on the ship beyond our scheduled return date.

That' being said, we'll be watching the restart very closely and making an informed decision on whether to proceed with the voyages.

Seems to me that your answer is maybe, not yes.

• Like 1

Received an email from Viking yesterday on the safety measures they're implementing.  Recognize that what's do-able on a 930 passenger ship may not work on a Quantum sized one.  Lots of protections being implemented but what especially struck me is the amount of testing they will perform.  All passengers will be pcr tested at pier and not allowed to board until test comes back clean (They have added pcr labs to all their ships).  Then for duration of cruise everyone will be pcr tested daily.  Hopefully this will allow them to nip any outbreaks in the bud.

35 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

Considering the cost of a cabin, the cost of flights, hotel, etc, just to get to the port on-time, and then to have it all taken away because of one positive test -- not likely.

Not to mention people who have limited, or even unpaid, vacation time blowing it away for nothing.

3 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Received an email from Viking yesterday on the safety measures they're implementing.  Recognize that what's do-able on a 930 passenger ship may not work on a Quantum sized one.  Lots of protections being implemented but what especially struck me is the amount of testing they will perform.  All passengers will be pcr tested at pier and not allowed to board until test comes back clean (They have added pcr labs to all their ships).  Then for duration of cruise everyone will be pcr tested daily.  Hopefully this will allow them to nip any outbreaks in the bud.

I have no idea what the logistics would be to run 930 tests every day.