The Daily for Monday Jul 05, 2021

richwmn

Last night I watched the Boston Pops from Tanglewood where we go every summer and taped Macy’s fireworks in New York where we went in person to Brooklyn one year. New York won. The year we went to Brooklyn near where my daughter lived it took an hour to get there and over three hours to get home. 
The Boston Pops played the 1812 overture and had the army using the cannons at the end. I saved it for Sam because he loves that overture.

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 19

@StLouis Cruiser- summer slope and DH, and I were also on that cruise in 2016. I stayed on in SD and went to the So Pac, summer slope [& DH] got off in SD. That would have been my first visit to Corinto. I wasn't impressed, but it still showed up on every itinerary there after from that region.

Edited by Happily@Sea
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Happily@Sea said:

Roy, 

Every time I've sailed sailed the west coast of Central American [4-5 times - Corinto has been on our itinerary [all BHBs] except last time on Zaandam From my notes --  SUN 22APR18 Corinto, Nicaragua 9:00am 5:00pm    CANCELLED - [Political Unrest] 

It seems strange you have never been there.

Carole

All but one of my cruises in that area have been on Crystal.

Roy

• Like 5

Good Afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Somehow the day has gotten away from me. I was awake late due to neighborhood fireworks past midnight. 

Interesting days. I like apple turnovers, this body will never see a bikini, and I was a work-a-holic until I retired.

Haha on the quote. I just realized I forgot to pay my estimated taxes for June.

I like the meal, although too many calories for me these days. I also like the wine. Pass on the drink.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for those who post pictures.

It's 90F and more humid. It'll be hot the next few days, with some thunderstorms.

@smitty34877 Safe travels and have a great time!

@mamaofami Hoping for the best outcome for you and Sam. I went to college in Boston in the 1970's and had the pleasure of seeing Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Symphony play for July 4th on the banks of the Charles River. Great stuff!

@ger_77 What a ceiling fan adventure. I've hung a couple myself and fortunately they worked.

@grapau27 Your garden looks delightful.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list. Hoping those in the path of the storm stay safe. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Just now, JazzyV said:

Good Afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Somehow the day has gotten away from me. I was awake late due to neighborhood fireworks past midnight. 

Interesting days. I like apple turnovers, this body will never see a bikini, and I was a work-a-holic until I retired.

Haha on the quote. I just realized I forgot to pay my estimated taxes for June.

I like the meal, although too many calories for me these days. I also like the wine. Pass on the drink.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for those who post pictures.

It's 90F and more humid. It'll be hot the next few days, with some thunderstorms.

@smitty34877 Safe travels and have a great time!

@mamaofami Hoping for the best outcome for you and Sam. I went to college in Boston in the 1970's and had the pleasure of seeing Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Symphony play for July 4th on the banks of the Charles River. Great stuff!

@ger_77 What a ceiling fan adventure. I've hung a couple myself and fortunately they worked.

@grapau27 Your garden looks delightful.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list. Hoping those in the path of the storm stay safe. 

Thank you.

I appreciate your nice words.

Graham.

• Like 3

🤔In "questionable" ports of call, we will take a ship's excursion...too many times in the past, I thought we could see sights on our own and then didn't have much of a good experience. 😯

@atexsix your idea of reading today sounds good.📚

Katie

FB_IMG_1584250595787.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

Since Roy keeps my name on the celebration list, I feel compelled to post when ever we have maritime events. 

Today in Maine, we toured Belfast. Yes Belfast, but not the one in Ireland.  It is a delightful town on the coast complete with a port, not a Holland America port, but large enough for American Cruise Line. I think the Prinsendam could have tendered guests ashore here and maybe it did?

I thought it was as nice as Bar Harbor in some ways, but no national park adjoining it.

The Independence backed in while we were there with less than 70 guests. We talked with 2 gents from the ship, who were doing the 7 day RT out of Portland, to the tune of about $5k each. I explained we were HAL cruisers, and we agreed that there was little in common other than the basics. Love the port calls, but not the rest. They had rough seas coming from Portland and the dining room was almost empty. Average age was very senior!

20210705_105444.jpg

20210705_110017.jpg

20210705_120306.jpg

20210705_120327.jpg

20210705_135700.jpg

• Like 23

We have been to Corinto on two HAL cruises, Rotterdam VI, in 2010, and Westerdam, in  2018.  I agree with those who said take a tour, rather than staying in Corinto!  We went to Leon and the Bubbling Mud Pots, which was worthwhile, in 2010.  On Westerdam, in 2018, we decided to walk around Corinto, but besides touring around on a pedal “taxi,” it wasn’t worth the time. Take a tour away from the port!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, garlictown said:

🤔In "questionable" ports of call, we will take a ship's excursion...too many times in the past, I thought we could see sights on our own and then didn't have much of a good experience. 😯

@atexsix your idea of reading today sounds good.📚

Katie

FB_IMG_1584250595787.jpg

That's me!  I read hours and hours a week and there have been many days where I was like "ooh, look! a book!"

• Like 9

Good evening all!

Stayed up pretty late yesterday, first attending a fireworks display on the Missouri and then getting booms until after midnight from some local partiers.  Yesterday was picture perfect.  I will try and post a pic of the sun setting as we drove toward the river later. It's on my phone and not uploaded to my desktop.

I have never been a bikini wearer (population sighs in relief), but I did discover tankini's which have become my go-to swimsuit. It covers, but the two pieces make it easy to go to the restroom on the beach (sorry for TMI). I order online from Swimsuits for All and can return as needed.

The wine sounds delish, the drink-really?  I must ask my sister about this, she used to work at Circus, Circus. I like General Tso's Chicken, some Asian restaurants that serve it make it quite hot.

I guess I'm one of the few that enjoyed my visit to Corinto.  The reason for me is that it was real. So many of the ports and the excursions are sanitized for us, they aren't really real. My daughter and I got off and wandered the town, saw a parade, chatted with some of the residents, shopped in the market, got some bargains on a blouse, a hat and some musical instruments (my oldest DD collects them). It was relaxing, we felt welcomed and hopefully helped the economy a little.

Offering prayers for all who need them 🙏 and always glad to raise a glass to help people celebrate 🍷.  Take care everyone, Covid still seems to be on the prowl.

St Louis Sal

Here are a few pictures:

IMGP3829.JPG

IMGP3830.JPG

IMGP3836.JPG

• Like 20

My July 4 sunset picture looking toward the Missouri River.

St Louis Sal

P.S. Glad I was able to log in here from my phone. I got a new phone and it uses facial recognition to open. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn’t know who I am! And of course if I forget I have a mask 😷 on, no go. 

AD320047-279A-47CD-A33F-53ABD0643BD9.jpeg

• Like 20

25 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

My July 4 sunset picture looking toward the Missouri River.

St Louis Sal

P.S. Glad I was able to log in here from my phone. I got a new phone and it uses facial recognition to open. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn’t know who I am! And of course if I forget I have a mask 😷 on, no go. 

AD320047-279A-47CD-A33F-53ABD0643BD9.jpeg

Lovely. Almost looks as if one cloud is hugging the setting sun. 

• Like 9

Good afternoon, all! We just got home from visiting DS and BIL in the Okanagan. We had a wonderful weekend, in spite of the heat and forest fire smoke. The heat is abating slightly, the smoke is getting worse. One DD is still in Chilliwack and was here to welcome us back. The other is till quarantined on Salt Spring. She has gotten bored and is cleaning all those things her short mother can’t reach. I’m more than OK with that. She has three days left before she can get loose. The place should be in great shape by then! @mamaofamiCarol, I’m so sorry you and Sam are having such a horrible time. It’s good you have family working on your behalf. @ger_77Gerry, the ceiling fan story was great. I hope the electrician can get it sorted out.  I’m glad the heat is letting up there. DD from Colonsay is heading back that way tomorrow.

Tomorrow we’re back to our regular routine at home. Is cool here and less smokey, so hopefully it will be easier to behave with social grace, especially since we are suddenly seeing people again!

E7AA8375-CB77-4FF3-AB44-C2C92D15241B.thumb.jpeg.1866528b80581fed5811dffc7985eb8b.jpeg

Happy Monday, and bring back our BHB’s!

583DF406-1C64-4D39-BF01-EB42ADD0E470.thumb.jpeg.addecdae74957b640cc1dd9257ace9ae.jpeg

• Like 18

Good evening!  It's late to post, but still want to wish a nice evening to everyone.

The big news here was first check-up and teeth cleaning post-pandemic.  All was well, which was a great relief.  I've never gone so long without seeing a dentist!  Are we all taking good care of our teeth, Dailyites?  Dr. Denise @DeeniEncinitashas been missing.  We need her to keep us honest!

We've been to Corinto and made the day trip to Leon.  All I remember about it was successfully finding a civil looking place to have coffee and internet.  Back in those days, when DH was still working, seems like all we did in ports was look for coffee and internet.  So glad he's retired!

Maybe some of you have been through that routine as well.

On other fronts, bikini day?  Ha!  They sure have gotten minuscule, haven't they??!!  😳

Again, everyone have a very lovely evening.  A click of the glass to those celebrating, and very sincere prayers for those having difficulties.    

• Like 16

3 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Glad I was able to log in here from my phone. I got a new phone and it uses facial recognition to open. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn’t know who I am! And of course if I forget I have a mask 😷 on, no go. 

Besides not recognizing me when I'm wearing a mask, I've found it doesn't know me if I'm yawning.  🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

After a long day cleaning the siding in the rv/carport, I'm finally finding time to check back to see what's been happening.  The siding is as clean as it will get.  There is something in the dirt that blows into the port that makes it stick like glue.  Tomorrow, I'll clean all the stuff we keep in the port and finish cleaning the concrete.  That should be it for another year.

@St. Louis Sal  I'm glad to know that we aren't the only ones who enjoyed Corinto.  Your sunset picture is stunning.

@grapau27. Your garden is lovely.  I cab picture myself in one of those chairs with a good book.

I'm  glad some of our travelers have made it home safely..

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

After a long day cleaning the siding in the rv/carport, I'm finally finding time to check back to see what's been happening.  The siding is as clean as it will get.  There is something in the dirt that blows into the port that makes it stick like glue.  Tomorrow, I'll clean all the stuff we keep in the port and finish cleaning the concrete.  That should be it for another year.

@St. Louis Sal  I'm glad to know that we aren't the only ones who enjoyed Corinto.  Your sunset picture is stunning.

@grapau27. Your garden is lovely.  I cab picture myself in one of those chairs with a good book.

I'm  glad some of our travelers have made it home safely..

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

• Like 1