The Daily for Saturday Jul 17, 2021

richwmn

Happy anniversary @Crazy For Cats!!

@ger_77I heeded your warning about shortages in Canola oil today and purchased another bottle when we did our grocery shopping.  I'm not sure where our U.S. supply comes from but not taking any chances.  😉

At lunch time we tried finding a spot to stop and eat before shopping, but was having some difficulty finding a place with inside dining.  The Burger King we ate inside last week now has only drive-through.  Service was slow last week so perhaps they are understaffed.  Too many people sitting home instead of taking the many jobs that are available, unfortunately.  We ended up at our Chick-Fil-A and it was busy as usual in the drive-through lanes, but inside service was fast and friendly.  We thanked the young lady who took our order and said we hope they are paying you well.   She said yes they are.  But first she said "my pleasure" as all Chick-Fil-A employees are trained to do.  A very refreshing experience!  I wish I owned a Chick-Fil-A franchise - they're the best!

I didn't post any photos this morning from our 2006 Bonaire visit with DD.  It seems we were enjoying ourselves so much we took more photos of the three of us than photos of the islands visited.  Here are a couple of my favorite photos taken that trip.

View from the ship of the lovely water and colorful town of Kralendijk.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIW9oT1Dfyu30XofcT3ak2t?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

DD and myself00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJqdNog7owPzqsenAvShMpN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Mom, Dad and daughter with Water Island behind us (St. Thomas).enhance

November will be 15 years!  Those years went by way too fast.

• Like 23

How bizarre is it that most of the world has rain and sometimes too much rain, and here in the "rainy" Seattle area we haven't seen rain in over a month. Eastern Washington and eastern Oregon could do with a good dump of rain without any wind. Friend's daughter and family have evacuated twice from the Sisters, OR area but so far their house had escaped the fires-just some embers in the yard. Still very scary!  Stay safe everyone.

• Like 15

29 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@ger_77I heeded your warning about shortages in Canola oil today and purchased another bottle when we did our grocery shopping.  I'm not sure where our U.S. supply comes from but not taking any chances.  😉

At lunch time we tried finding a spot to stop and eat before shopping, but was having some difficulty finding a place with inside dining.  The Burger King we ate inside last week now has only drive-through.  Service was slow last week so perhaps they are understaffed.  Too many people sitting home instead of taking the many jobs that are available, unfortunately.  We ended up at our Chick-Fil-A and it was busy as usual in the drive-through lanes, but inside service was fast and friendly.  We thanked the young lady who took our order and said we hope they are paying you well.   She said yes they are.  But first she said "my pleasure" as all Chick-Fil-A employees are trained to do.  A very refreshing experience!  I wish I owned a Chick-Fil-A franchise - they're the best!

I didn't post any photos this morning from our 2006 Bonaire visit with DD.  It seems we were enjoying ourselves so much we took more photos of the three of us than photos of the islands visited.  Here are a couple of my favorite photos taken that trip.

View from the ship of the lovely water and colorful town of Kralendijk.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIW9oT1Dfyu30XofcT3ak2t?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

DD and myself00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJqdNog7owPzqsenAvShMpN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Fantastic family photo.

That is a beautiful picture of yourself and your daughter.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 10

💕Best Wishes and Congratulations to @Crazy For Cats on your special day!💕

Wow...what a good looking pizza, @grapau27.🍕

👍Great photos of Bonaire, @sailingdutchy.

😊 Also, your Sitka photos are interesting @Sharon in AZ.

I'm glad to hear Sam is coming along, @mamaofami.

🙏🙏🙏Prayers for those in areas in The Netherlands,  Germany and Belgium that are experiencing flooding!!

Katie

0_happy-anniversary-images-animated-4.gif

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

And a very nice Saturday to all on the Daily , after an all night rain the sun is out in SW Ontario and hopefully all the standing water we have collected will slowly disappear into the ground .

We have been a few times to Bonaire which is part of the Lesser  ( Leeward ) Antilles but now has a special status as a  municipality within the Kingdom of the Netherlands . Population of about 21.000 and the capital city is Kralendijk.

We have had the pleasure to go there a couple of times on one of the BHB’s and the last time was on Jan 19th 2018 while on the Koningsdam with our good friends Ann and Pat and good friends from the Netherlands .

DSCN6238.thumb.JPG.72e0771ee006888daf8aa02a9ac8f93b.JPG

145233819_DSCN62042.thumb.JPG.bba34b8865c2f1509d84901c5b55da0e.JPG

DSCN6206.thumb.JPG.37acc8769522dc46b7d863f82ff680e5.JPG

DSCN6220.thumb.JPG.0e60d737a026bdc754984e96701d5056.JPG

DSCN6221.thumb.JPG.73f8ac7c4d5852771d0071b16090b391.JPG

DSCN6223.thumb.JPG.8d3a9c119780eec5f95a689a5e42e3cb.JPG

DSCN6225.thumb.jpg.a1abc9e62a7f243624d7572fb67670ed.jpg

Don’t know about that one ……….. but I will give it to you ……...

DSCN6231.thumb.JPG.88ee5533371c7f3c7944d59d3cf4e84e.JPG

DSCN6229.thumb.jpg.a5a4dc2c35a7ca81b840e88c49b0deb1.jpg

DSCN6232.thumb.JPG.dc551743b1e21642f6da8e788a76bee5.JPG

There are lots of wild donkeys on the island 

1784270167_DSCN62332.thumb.JPG.b0a4f82faf54795444c6db568d03e3cf.JPG

DSCN6237.thumb.JPG.b155a19979b2f1602e324dd54ef93f53.JPG

And a toast to a very nice day at the Librije Dinner that evening . We sure missed you Ann @VictOriann !

DSCN6254.thumb.JPG.09988e578163481d88cd42c20cd56b61.JPG

Appetizer from the menu  “Oysters on the Beach ! “ 

DSCN6244.thumb.JPG.c823785fce42848b40abb80604f5963c.JPG

And a very, very different  "Dutch " Apple tart …..

DSCN6262.thumb.JPG.80ea267cd84c93a4ece6c4b95c297a80.JPG

The ABC Islands are a great escape from winter destination with almost steady temperatures of 28 degrees  C with a nice breeze but no huge storms . 

Also Bonaire is one of the nicest destinations in the world to go diving in heavily protected waters ! 

Dear SIL and Grandson diving near the Salt pier  

GOPR7131.thumb.jpg.28a673441b6c83b2fbb1da381b08b310.jpg

GOPR7124.thumb.jpg.14481beba5f346da71a2cf6ebce1f1b9.jpg

GOPR7105.thumb.jpg.209cfed2cb32d0377497e79bde8eeba2.jpg

How do they do that , I can't even float ......... was only able to do that in the Dead Sea !

Tony 😄

Nice pictures, Tony.  Have you had any word from our Dutch friends that they are alright during all the terrible weather they are having in that part of Europe?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Hi Sharon , I had to look it up myself and believe I found it , let me see if this works .........

Calbas of Curacao

Calabash tree, (Crescentia cujete), tree of the family Bignoniaceae that grows in parts of Africa, Central and South America, the West Indies, and extreme southern Florida. It is often grown as an ornamental; however, it is also used in traditional systems of medicine. The tree produces large spherical fruits, up to 50 cm (20 inches) in diameter, the hard shells of which are useful as bowls, cups, and other containers when hollowed out.

The Calbas has, for Centuries been used for countless creations from Musical Instruments, Tasty sweets to Herbal Remedies. The Soursop with it’s distinctive taste gives this Liqueur a Lovely twist that makes…

DSCN6225.jpeg.9022822d13aedb17313d1a0bb819dc6f.jpeg

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Nice pictures, Tony.  Have you had any word from our Dutch friends that they are alright during all the terrible weather they are having in that part of Europe?

Yes now you saw what you missed out on that day Ann .

Last I talked to our friends was about a month ago and they are doing fine and luckily they are quite a ways North from where all of the flooding is happening in the Netherlands  , Germany and Belgium . 

I have never seen the flooding of the large rivers this bad in my life time !

• Like 9

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

@kazu, loving your hydrangeas,  are they hardy ones?   Enjoy the wag you, hope you do get to Japan, both were incredible

Yes, they are hardy, Brenda.  This one wasn’t happy after an ice storm a couple of winters ago so I am delighted to see it coming back with so many flowers this year.

Thanks on the wag.  I’ve never had it nor cooked it.  Hope I don’t muck it up.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You all look wonderful in these pics 😄. Beautiful!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Here is a picture of some of the dried ones:

96FD15C4-E4C9-477A-8048-D30E9591464D.thumb.jpeg.d74fcc9c895079153bdbd46488f94942.jpeg

Thanks Sharon 👍 

They look like the dried ones I can get from the store only better 😉 

I’ll leave it to DH what he wants and any leftovers that won’t make it when it is starting to get too cold will be preserved one way or the other.

I started my seeds early so I’m really hoping I will start harvesting some early which will make a big difference if the season can be spread out longer 😉.  🤞 

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Hi Sharon , I had to look it up myself and believe I found it , let me see if this works .........

Calbas of Curacao

Calabash tree, (Crescentia cujete), tree of the family Bignoniaceae that grows in parts of Africa, Central and South America, the West Indies, and extreme southern Florida. It is often grown as an ornamental; however, it is also used in traditional systems of medicine. The tree produces large spherical fruits, up to 50 cm (20 inches) in diameter, the hard shells of which are useful as bowls, cups, and other containers when hollowed out.

The Calbas has, for Centuries been used for countless creations from Musical Instruments, Tasty sweets to Herbal Remedies. The Soursop with it’s distinctive taste gives this Liqueur a Lovely twist that makes…

DSCN6225.jpeg.9022822d13aedb17313d1a0bb819dc6f.jpeg

Wow!  Who knew?  Thank you!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Beautiful family!

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Fantastic family photo.

That is a beautiful picture of yourself and your daughter.

Graham.

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

You all look wonderful in these pics 😄. Beautiful!

Thank you all.  If only time stood still we'd still look like that.  😉

• Like 10

It’s not how we look today,  it’s the wisdom we can pass on and most of all it’s what we share from a loving, caring, heart and soul.

Sharing our Blessed years; it’s what’s happening here on the Daily.

We are very fortunate CC members!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

It’s not how we look today,  it’s the wisdom we can pass on and most of all it’s what we share from a loving, caring, heart and soul.

Sharing our Blessed years; it’s what’s happening here on the Daily.

We are very fortunate CC members!

I agree.  We feel we did a super job of raising our two children, and they have also done so with our six grandchildren.  Truly blessed!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

I agree.  We feel we did a super job of raising our two children, and they have also done so with our six grandchildren.  Truly blessed!

We hear others talk about their children who are struggling. Fortunately, all of our children are successful and are raising  our grandchildren the opportunity to follow.

• Like 7

It has been an interesting day here.   I should have stuck to my vow of a lazy day.   When I went to get dressed this morning I decided I would dust and sweep the bedroom.   I got my room dusted and did the room across the hall and moved to the next room.  That's when the power went out.  Now, I had to be lazy.  When the power came back on I had to fight with the router to get it to work properly.  That took a good half hour.  I was ready to pack up and go get a new one.  I don't know what the problem is with it.  I rebooted the modem a couple of times and the router even more.  

So much for a lazy day.

@Crazy For Cats Happy Anniversary to you and Juan!    Celebrate!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Yes, they are hardy, Brenda.  This one wasn’t happy after an ice storm a couple of winters ago so I am delighted to see it coming back with so many flowers this year.

Thanks on the wag.  I’ve never had it nor cooked it.  Hope I don’t muck it up.

Auto correct had its way with me again! Sigh!  I’m sure you’ll enjoy it,  just don’t cook it too much.  It’s pretty much like eating butter! 

AC279719-DFCE-4E1C-9726-53BF5FEDFD97.jpeg

E6E7331B-29EE-4042-A6E6-FEF895A3D722.jpeg

4BF846F6-F906-411B-9A3F-F47EF41C47C7.jpeg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Auto correct had its way with me again! Sigh!  I’m sure you’ll enjoy it,  just don’t cook it too much.  It’s pretty much like eating butter! 

AC279719-DFCE-4E1C-9726-53BF5FEDFD97.jpeg

E6E7331B-29EE-4042-A6E6-FEF895A3D722.jpeg

4BF846F6-F906-411B-9A3F-F47EF41C47C7.jpeg

Great pictures.  I should have taken at least one but I didn’t 😉 

I am happy to say I didn’t overcook it 😉 

But OMG, I had no idea how big the steaks were when I ordered.  I only cooked one so we will either have another in a few days or I will freeze it.  My butcher assured me it was good for a week in the fridge.  I raised an eyebrow and said are you sure?  I NEVER keep beef that long in the fridge.

Apparently wagyu is different and does keep so I’ll decide tomorrow what to do.  DH only gave it an 8.5.  I gave it a 10.  It was delish.

You have to keep in mind DH prefers medium and I was keeping this just a tad around medium rare to be safe.  Delish 🙂 

• Like 12

Well I overdid it today and I've been in bed since my lower back began acting up right after lunch, so I haven't been able to respond to much of today's daily, so hope you're all having a great day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3