What I Don't Miss About Cruising

Oakman58

Going through some old cruise photos I was reminded of the one thing I don’t miss about cruising.  I don’t miss having to go to your actual outside muster station when the temperature is 90 degrees and waiting for everyone to show up while you’re packed in like a bunch of sardines in a can.  Nope, don’t miss that one little bit.

SAM_1244_1.thumb.jpg.3595c26d5dc15afdf98a313fcf6089e1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Going through some old cruise photos I was reminded of the one thing I don’t miss about cruising.  I don’t miss having to go to your actual outside muster station when the temperature is 90 degrees and waiting for everyone to show up while you’re packed in like a bunch of sardines in a can.  Nope, don’t miss that one little bit.

Good thing we don't have to do that ^^^^ anymore !!!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Agree, though I remember doing that with our life jackets on! 😜

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I don’t miss having to go to your actual outside muster station when the temperature is 90 degrees and waiting for everyone to show up while you’re packed in like a bunch of sardines in a can. 

On Liberty in September 2018 we had to stand for nearly 45 minutes waiting for everyone to show up, packed in just like your photo, and a woman near me passed out.  Nope, I don't miss that at all.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Agree, though I remember doing that with our life jackets on! 😜

Yes, on our very first cruise which was on a RCCL ship out of Galveston we had to do that.  Perhaps that was the reason we didn't cruise again for 6 years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

I don't miss these..

Wreckage-350.jpg

There is an alternative to this. I don't know why Carnival has never thought of it. Instead of having people put their trays on the floor by the cabin door(s), why not have carts with shelves at certain locations, like the elevator lobbies on each deck, where people could put their trays? 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

There is an alternative to this. I don't know why Carnival has never thought of it. Instead of having people put their trays on the floor by the cabin door(s), why not have carts with shelves at certain locations, like the elevator lobbies on each deck, where people could put their trays? 

That would work great....but you'd have to rely on people to actually do this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

Good thought, but you know how people are. They have these types of stations on the lido deck by the pool, etc.. but people still leave their finished with items wherever the finished them at.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Agreed !

10 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

because people would probably still put them outside their doors.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bigguy24 said:

What's was the new muster drill? Thank you

As soon as you get on the ship, even before you drop your bags off in your cabin, go directly to your muster station. A crew member will scan your boarding pass, and demonstrate how to put on a life jacket. It is indoors now(ours was in Jiji's). That's it. Easy peasy. 

On 11/13/2021 at 12:34 AM, Bigguy24 said:

What's was the new muster drill? Thank you

17 hours ago, Joe817 said:

As soon as you get on the ship, even before you drop your bags off in your cabin, go directly to your muster station. A crew member will scan your boarding pass, and demonstrate how to put on a life jacket. It is indoors now(ours was in Jiji's). That's it. Easy peasy. 

Yeah and when you get to your station its usually pretty empty. Ours was in the MDR with maybe 6 other people there. You are also supposed to watch a video as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

Muster took less than 5 minutes.  The new way is sooooo much better.

Amen !! I agree completely ! I really disliked the outside (90+degree) temp 30 people gatherings,where there's ALWAYS one loud mouth sounding off as the briefing's being given. This makes it even longer, because he won't shut up, even when told by the safety crew they can't continue till he's quiet. Plus, the new way is very personal, almost one-to-one, allows for questions to be asked and answered. Just my  opinion, of course. My only gripe is there are still people who wait till the last moment (because they announce ) an half hour before sailing over the P.A. they'll call the names that still haven't went down to the room for the Muster Station drill, reminding them that the ship cannot sail till everybody has checked in. IF people wanna go back to the old HOT way..? Hey, Just keep being late to the new way muster, it's no skin off the Captain's nose, he works and lives in air conditioning.

Mac

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 9:30 AM, beachbum53 said:

I wonder how many people would actually use them. Judging from how many people don't bring shopping carts to the return kiosks, we would still see a lot of these

• Like 1

YES!  I also remember how you were almost penalized for showing up early.  You had to stand towards the back where there was no air movement as others filed in front of you.  And, you had to wait the longest in the heat.  Those who showed up late had the prime standing.

Definitely a huge improvement though I do miss the pictures of the kids in their lifejackets.

19 hours ago, SmoothFlying said:

I really disliked the outside (90+degree) temp 30 people gatherings,

where there's ALWAYS one loud mouth sounding off as the briefing's being given.

This makes it even longer,

because he won't shut up, even when told by the safety crew

they can't continue till he's quiet.

That would be the alcohol talking!

Can't label them 'drunks' these days -might get offended and want to fight.

Those who cruise to booze very often start as soon as they board

so by the time muster is called, they're already "well-advanced"!

IMHO alcohol should not be served until muster is completely finished

- it would avoid all sorts of silly problems....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

IMHO alcohol should not be served until muster is completely finished

- it would avoid all sorts of silly problems.

I completely agree but knowing how some 'hard core' alcoholics attitude are Carnival's probably afraid one OR several of these extremely 'toasted' liquid imbibed gentlemen ( notice, I did NOT say 'drunk' gotta be PC here for the moderators) would probably come over the bar and DEMAND his alcoholic 'fix'. But you're right, it wouldn't hurt to push forward liquor sales to 1630 hrs (4:30 pm). After all, I believe ships that sail out of Texas can't even sail liquor till they're three miles out at sea ( I may be wrong here) but if this is the case, then what's two or three hour wait on bar service ? Just my humble opinion.

Mac

• Like 2