The Daily for Saturday 05/28/2022

richwmn

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

I'd be interested in what you do differently.  One thing I've learned about cooking is that there is no one way to do it.  I often look over several recipes and combine them.  

Debbie,

I basically don’t use flour.  I dip in egg first and then very fine seasoned breadcrumbs.  Then pretty much follow the rest of the recipe.  

Terri

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks for the update. I hope today will be a better day for everyone.

It’s time to support some more  Lancaster county fire companies today with Bird in Hand for chicken bbq and Bareville for charcoal steak dinner.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️🎉

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We've always been supporters of Amnesty International - they've done good work for the oppressed for many years.  Neither of us is a jazz fan, but we both love hamburgers, whether at home or at a fast food place.  @rafinmdmentioned the burgers at the Pinnacle Grill for lunch - I'd forgotten about them, they are superb!

It's a cool, cloudy, drizzly day out there this morning and it's supposed to carry on throughout the day.  That means I'll be getting out the big umbrellas because DH and I are going to yet another country cemetery where he's conducting the internment the ashes of an elderly distant relative.  She died shortly after the lockdown began, so of course there could be no service for her, so that's where we're off to today. 

I like the menu suggestion and looked up the recipe, thinking it would involve heavy cream - which it doesn't!   I'm surprised the recipe calls for frying in olive oil, though, so I'll be using my old standard - canola oil.  It looks like an easy one to prepare so when we get back from the internment late this afternoon, I'll get it going so we can enjoy a new chicken dish with air fryer asparagus and coleslaw for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do. Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and Uvalde and all they're going through.  Extra also for our Daily family who are facing hardship and struggles.  We'll raise our glasses to salute all on the happy list tonight.  Be well, get your boosters, wear masks when you need to, and stay safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 35

28 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

I don't post a lot about my private life because I tend to keep it private, but I love this spot on these boards.  

+1

When I've had some really difficult times these past two plus years, I always felt the care from Dailyites even tho I didn't post my problems. For that I thank you all.

• Like 37

32 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Yesterday I resolved my email issues but not sure I  wasn’t, scammed. I followed all google instructions and used a second method of verification to retrieve my account and entered the code I was given. I was told my account would be restored in 48 hours. Well, 5=days went by and there is no phone number for Google. When I found a number it was for a web based company that took control of my computer and said I was hacked by someone from Canada. They spent two hours and restored my account on my phone, desktop and iPad. It cost me about $169 and everything is back. I changed my bank password and a few others and am praying the company was legit.

Our outdoor pool is supposed to open today but if it rains that won’t happen.

Stay safe everyone and prayers for all on our list,

Carol

I am sorry to hear your computer was hacked yesterday and it cost $169 to repair.

We get regular phone calls saying there is a problem with your computer  on line security and to click on a number to fix it.

We also get a number of texts saying We were unable to post your parcel click on this link to redeliver but we were at home when they claimed they couldn't deliver.

A lot of people who buy online could be caught out by this scam.

Why don't these people use their skills to get a real legitimate job?

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Dailyite Family!  I love todays quote, thank you for reminding me that while I can be anything I want, its better to be the me I is.

Jazz...while not my first musical choice, i'm more into classical and folk, I worked at a radio station in college.  I wanted to do a late night request show, midnight to 3 a.m., but in order for the management to agree to that, I had to do a jazz show on Sunday afternoons. And not knowing much about jazz, I would play (yes this is back in album day)  a live recording, start the applause sound track, turn that down, introduce the artist, and then let the whole album play.  When it was time to turn the album over, I would get back on the air, make up something about what the artist was doing...like taking a short break for a drink of water, left the stage, etc, turn over the album and play the second side.  Do the time and weather on the hour.  And then go back and put on another artist's live recording.  

hF872B385

@dfish Thank you for the recipes.  I am going to ask DH to make one of todays for me.  When it comes to putting something in a pan, he has the patience for it.    And yesterday's?  OMG I wanted to try that, with gravy.   Taters and gravy.  Oh,  i'm hungry now.

The Irving cat is getting old, he goes to his plate, but seems to forget to eat.  This morning he jumped up on the computer table and misjudged and fell right off.  I think it's time to let him go...but DH thinks that he should get older with us.  I believe in quality of life for an animal.  We shall see.  He is content when DH is on the sofa and he can sit on his lap.  The rest of the time, he's a ball on the floor looking for somewhere warm to be.  He still likes his catnip.

Currently waiting for Formula 1 qualifying this morning, and I am on one job only now...this afternoon, they want a few hours from us.

I was at a meeting yesterday, and a man walked in wearing a shirt that said "dam shirts".  It was an old shirt, on the back it listed all the ships and there wasn't a "nieux" one listed at all.  I told him I wanted to talk to him about his dam ships and he said the next time he saw me he would tell me his adventures.  Can't wait.

Have a wonderful day, and if you are off on an adventure this holiday weekend, be safe, and have a great time.!

• Like 31

This forum has been very important to all of us the last couple years.  I can only speak for myself, but the posters on this forum feel like family, as we have helped each other through a not so fun time, and during our own tough times.   But like all families there are occasional differences that pop up from time to time, but since we are all family, we just make the best of it.   I am not a big social media person, so this has been the extent of my social media, and for that I am very grateful to the many posters that have joined us since Rich started this for us all of us.   I hope that this thread continues to pop up every day so that we continue to keep track of our extended family.  Thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 7

36 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update. I hope today will be a better day for everyone.

It’s time to support some more  Lancaster county fire companies today with Bird in Hand for chicken bbq and Bareville for charcoal steak dinner.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️🎉

Sounds like you will have some really good meals this weekend!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone,

Just a quick post as I have been busy since I returned from my cruise last Sunday with family issues and also needed to emergently dog sit for a cousin. Although I haven't posted I have been reading every day, the Daily always is "go to" for me. For some reason this week I didn't want to post, just wanted to get get through things by myself. On previous occasions I have found the support of this group very welcoming and hopefully those who have shared both good and bad in their lives have also felt this support from the group.

Even though I have never met you I feel like I know you and look forward to continue to share in your lives and Travels.

Mary

• Like 34

The Chicken Francese sounds nice.  My alternative is the Arugula and Radicchio Salad, Pork Chop and Lemon Curd Tartlet as served on Adventure of the Seas May 27, 2022:

dishes27.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

With my connection issues I always try to check in once a day on the Daily. I am grateful for this group.  My friend is going on a Alaska cruise on June 8 and was told only one ship was sailing up there. Thanks to the Daily I could name every one. I truly appreciate all the work that @richwmn does to glue this together and for everyone else's contributions.  

55 degrees here and bugs galore. I wear netting which is hot so this is a perfect day for gardening.  Some sun would be nice for our solar panels.

Prayers for all on Roy's care list and for the families of the lost in Uvalde and for the people of Ukraine.  Have a lovely Memorial Day weekend.  

• Like 21

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  I’ve had a busy week getting ready for our trip, lots of last minute things to do with more to do today so we can fly tomorrow to Barcelona. It was so much easier the last time we went on a Med cruise. We are 90% packed but I need to rearrange our carryons. I felt like I was packing for three trips— the Barcelona part, the cruise part, and our 6 days in Venice. 

Oosterdam here we come!  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 31

Good morning, All.  It’s nice to see a prompt here today to go grab an In-and-Out burger.  Any excuse…😊

Amnesty International does important work.  I never learned to appreciate jazz.  Not sure about the quote.  Some people are authentic.  I like them best.

@dfishDebbie, the chicken looks delicious.  Sort of like chicken piccata, right, but without the capers?  I do pan fry every so often— half butter, half olive oil.  The recipe is a keeper.

I waited yesterday on “wig-out” day for someone to ‘fess up to wearing them.  I did during chemo for breast cancer 10 years ago.  The exorbitantly expensive human hair one I bought always looked like something the cat brought in.  The cheap synthetic ones were cute and comfortable.  

Looking forward to photos of Kanazawa.  Apparently Japan has finally opened up to limited tourism.  Baby steps….

Many thanks to Rich and all contributors to the Daily.  Wishing all a pleasant Saturday.  Mine will be very lazy, as I babysat DGD last night and she took it out of me.

6727D8F0-5DBD-4A82-BB1E-6B474C91532B.jpeg.60f813e09fc41b433b4b044889effe29.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Sea Viewer said:

Good morning everyone,

Just a quick post as I have been busy since I returned from my cruise last Sunday with family issues and also needed to emergently dog sit for a cousin. Although I haven't posted I have been reading every day, the Daily always is "go to" for me. For some reason this week I didn't want to post, just wanted to get get through things by myself. On previous occasions I have found the support of this group very welcoming and hopefully those who have shared both good and bad in their lives have also felt this support from the group.

Even though I have never met you I feel like I know you and look forward to continue to share in your lives and Travels.

Mary

+1

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  I’ve had a busy week getting ready for our trip, lots of last minute things to do with more to do today so we can fly tomorrow to Barcelona. It was so much easier the last time we went on a Med cruise. We are 90% packed but I need to rearrange our carryons. I felt like I was packing for three trips— the Barcelona part, the cruise part, and our 6 days in Venice. 

Have wonderful  cruise  and  enjoy.

• Like 13

Our daily lunch on a BHB is a burger and fries from the Dive In and a Bahama Mama....can't wait to get back on board.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to use caution.  Our county has numbers going up.  Wear your mask if you feel the need.  I've never stopped.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from, you guessed it, sunny, windy, and hot central Texas.

Amnesty Internal does great work and deserves a day.  I like jazz occasionally.  Hamburgers were on the menu tomorrow, with smoked pork butt on Monday.  Tonight, I'd planned to have the leftover chicken cacciatore.  Instead, I think we'll have the hamburgers tonight, the pork tomorrow and the leftovers Monday.

The Kurt Vonnegut quote is interesting, but it is easier to be myself.  In other words, what you see here is me, but without seeing the Irish temper I inherited from my parents.  I try to keep in in check, but once in a while watch out.

The recipes look interesting today.  @dfish  Debbie, I wonder if it could be "fried" in the air fryer and then finished on the stove top with the sauce.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Kanasawa, Japan.  The Daily has made me realize how much more of Japan we need to see.

@richwmn  Rich, I don't thank you often enough for creating the Daily from the Fleet Report, and for providing all of us with a safe haven the past 2+ years.  Also, thank you to @rafinmd Roy, for the lists, @dfish Debbie for all the wonderful recipes, @cat shepard Ann, for the wine reviews, and @summer slope Dixie, for the drink recipes.

A big thank you to all the Dailyites who contribute to this wonderful place whether you post daily or only occasionally.

@Mr. Boston  Glad you are getting your booster and I hope you don't have too bad a reaction.  I hope your DH is feeling better soon from his booster.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I don't want to jinx you, but glad you could report two days of feeling good.  Sending good thoughts for many more such days.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope your back feels better soon.

@puppycanducruise  I loved your meme.  It reminded me of our two dachshunds who had the please drop something look down to perfection.  I brought back sweet memories.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm glad you have your email problems solved, and I also hope the on-line company was legit.

@ger_77  Gerry, be safe on the roads in the rain.

@grapau27  Graham, I agree with you about the phone scammers putting their brains to better use.

@travelnap  Like you, I'm not big on social media.  I do have a FB account to be able to keep up with classmates and what is happening in Quartzsite when we are gone.  I very rarely post anything on it, and don't go there often.  There are too many people calling others horrible names and telling them their ideas, beliefs and opinions are wrong.  It's not the friendly place we have here.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, have a safe flight tomorrow and a wonderful trip.   🛳️ BON VOYAGE 🥂

Now, I need to check the tracking on three packages that UPS has managed to misplace in the last two weeks.  The fourth package did turn up finally, but after we had received the replacement.  They all seemed to drop off UPS tracking.  It's very frustrating.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JAM37 said:

It saddened me as I read the second half of yesterday's Daily. I really still don't understand what it was all about. I did not "join" this family until August 2021. From the very beginning I felt welcomed and realized I had somehow come across a group of loving, caring people. As many have said before and again yesterday...this is my happy place, a safe place. I would hate to see it disappear.

To summarize my understanding of yesterday:

The world has been an intensely nasty place this past week and we are all on edge and feeling wounded.
Someone said something that almost everyone took personally, although it was not meant that way. An intense sibling battle ensued. Things were said, hair was pulled, feelings were hurt. It was suggested we be sent to our rooms and not allowed to play together any more. This was a much worse option than the fight, so we all went to bed and came back this morning better behaved and happy to play together.

I guess we HAVE become a real family.

BTW - your entire post was excellent, and I agree with every word.

As a side note, yesterday was ‘Wig Out Day’. I looked it up:

wig out

phrasal verb of wig

1. INFORMALUS
    behave in an irrational or erratic way; panic or become hysterical.
    "she wigged out and started screaming at Sam"
    • make someone feel distressed, unsettled, or annoyed.
      "it would wig me out to have people on my property"

How unsettlingly appropriate.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

What a fabulous trip you've put together, Sharon.  Have a great time!  Try to give some progress reports here to the folks back home!  😍

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning. Thank you for the Daily.

Ah.. the good ole days when we talked on the Daily like sisters. Denise, Ann, Sandi, Jacqui, Gerry, Sharon, and our buddy Roy.

Miss y'all!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha Sister! My Joy❤️

Miss you too! Those were the good Ole days!

I remember us west Coast,East Coast, AND OUR MIDDLE SISTER! LOL. 3 Musketeers!!

Your move from Idaho, to Georgetown ! I can go on! Love to you and Allen! Think of you especially when we walk to Hula bar and Grill.

Stay healthy and enjoy life! We are well! Life is good . ❤️ Happy Memorial Weekend to all our DAILYITES 

Denise😊

• Like 26

Greetings Everyone!

We are back in St. Paul after an interesting couple of weeks at our Canadian cottage. I was following the Daily thread but was having problems posting because we were so busy enjoying being at the lake. 

Then Saturday, May 21 arrived. 

I haven't looked at the Daily since then (it seems there are some things I need to catch up on), but it may have been pointed out that there was a massive storm that swept through Ontario. I was out on the the lake probably 2 miles from the cottage when I noticed the sky getting ugly and hightailed it back to the dock. I hadn't been inside for more than 5 minutes when the tremendous winds and sheets of rain hit. It would have been very bad to have been on the lake! We did not have any trees come down on our property and there was no damage to the house. However, a wide area from essentially London to Ottawa (and maybe beyond) had severe wind damage. 

Power of course went out, but we have a gasoline backup generator so we could power parts of the house. I went out Sunday morning to try to get gas for the generator and realized the extent of the damage. Peterborough, Lakefield, Selwyn, and Buckhorn were without power except for a small section just north of Peterborough and parts of Bridgenorth (on Chemong Lake). There were maybe 3 gas stations open and the lines of cars trying to get in were huge. So no gas for us!

Trees were down everywhere taking power lines with them. There were many wooden power poles that had snapped in half in the wind. It was obvious that power was going to be out for quite a while. 

Luckily, I was able to siphon enough gas from the mowers and boat motors to keep the generator going by running it briefly a few times a day so we could run the water well and keep the fridge/freezer cold. By Tuesday (IIRC), the Curve Lake First Nation Reserve got power and their 3 large gas stations were operating normally. So we were able to get a couple Jerry cans of fuel. Hydro kept promising power would be restored for our Lane soon, but that was wishful thinking considering the extent of the damage. We stayed an extra day in hopes that the power would be restored but ended up leaving Thursday morning with the power still off. Made closing up a little more difficult! We got notification on Friday (while we were traveling) from some neighbors that power was finally was restored around dinnertime on Friday. 

We can't wait to get back there in a couple of weeks to see what new adventures await!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6