The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 13th, 2022

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'm not left handed, but I do a lot of things with my left hand (I bat and swing a golf club left-handed). I am an only child. I used to have garage sales; then it was ebay and/or donate.

Good quote. The meal sounds good, pass on the drink, but I'll take the wine.

I haven't been to Copenhagen. 

Another beautiful day here. It was only 53F this AM, but now mid-70's. I'm not doing much today, although I will say the yard looks good after yesterday's efforts. BFF is having two people and me over later. This will be my first social gathering, other than just seeing BFF, since March 2020. We'll be out on the deck, so hopefully ok. 

@kazu Thinking of you and Shadow.

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to your DH! Safe travels tomorrow. Great photos!

@dfish It will be nice to be near family when you move to Michigan.

@smitty34877 It's good to hear that Tana is feeling a bit better, and I hope that continues. I'm glad you have 24 hour help for Tana, as the rest of you continue to recuperate.

@Seasick Sailor So scary about the fires! I hope you get some rain.

@ger_77 I hope DH feels better soon, and that you remain negative.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the photos.

@aliaschief Lovely pictures. Bon Voyage tomorrow! Enjoy the cruise.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Oh no on the white residue! I've only used the baking soda as a paste (scrubbing) to try to clean a pan. 

@grapau27 Welcome home.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

Greetings!

I've been to Copenhagen several times but, unfortunately, never as a cruise port.

On my first vist (gosh, it was 50 years ago!) visited the Calrsberg Brewery. It was the most memorable part of my trip. The bee was very good, but that ws not what really impressed me. Carlsberg is actually (or at least was back then) a non-profit corporation. It is (or was) a little self-contined community within the city. In there, they provided housing for their workers, schools for the workrs children and medical care (cliic and hospital) for the workers. After paying for all the benefits for their empoyees, all the profits went to support for the arts. The "Little Mermaid" sculpture in the arbor is one the the donations from Calrsberg. Fifty years later, I am still amazed at this corporation.

On something completely different, I , like many of you, am heartbroken over the news about Jacqui and Shadow. I can only wish that the pain will go away and a good home for Shadow can be found.

• Like 23

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Today we visited the city of Delft and The Hague. Weather again in nineties. Delft factory, old and new churches, lunch on the plaza and then over to Hague to see Prime Ministers office, Parliament and some Rembrandt and other notable art at the museum. Beautiful cities, 

Tonight we are having a Rjistafel dinner which is always a must have dining experience in the Netherlands.

MS Rotterdam tomorrow. Interesting our guides opinion on why we have to board MS Rotterdam in Rotterdam versus Amsterdam is not because of canal conditions but because it is so much cheaper for ships to dock in Rotterdam.

image.thumb.jpeg.ef4ed058828557fcdf09d5d84bb1ab8c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.203e9d44b18a6233cd974a9cfc430e17.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f8b7cbce94e5d59436a53ebdf888938a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9890addbf6740c9530620860c8a9e0a0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fb9f209359215a15df67985af66d124f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a5dcde73651ad3df793505d51330dce9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fc350a40b1e2b9768c26033698f0210e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a305ac50218c6338e4ae590c2ef97dc1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6c7219ae686617df623b610c5e797a40.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ef22dc24d159b75832a45e09b092c6e9.jpeg

Bruce, thank your for the pictures from Delft.  We took the train from Amsterdam to Delft once and toured a Delft factory on the outskirts of town.  We did not see much of the central part of town, and we only saw The Hague from the train.

37 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! None of the days apply to me today, and I haven’t been to the port - yet.

@dfish thank you for the recipe. The retirement move sounds like an excellent idea. Happy house hunting with your DS! @ger_77 so sorry to hear your DH has Covid. He may sleep a lot for awhile. When we had it in May, the only symptom that lasted more than a day or two was the overwhelming fatigue. Here’s praying you manage to dodge it! @kazu I’m hoping you find the right special needs rescue for Shadow. Love and strength to you both.

Last night I tried to save a roasting pan that had chicken and BBQ sauce burnt onto while using it on the BBQ. (My fault)

In desperation, I tried an internet suggestion of using a very thick layer of baking soda, covered with water, and boiled on the stove for 30 minutes. Did you know that baking soda can dissolve, travel in steam, and reform as white residue everywhere the steam touches? Neither did I.  Now I do. Today I am washing down the entire kitchen. At least it should sparkle when I’m done. I will also be throwing out the pan which is now totally ruined. Follow me for more cleaning tips!😏

Happy Saturday, everyone! Salutations to all aboard a BHB, which is probably not coated in hardened baking soda.

I didn't know baking soda would dissolve and travel with the steam.  I tried using a paste of baking soda and I think vinegar to clean the oven in Quartzsite.  You were supposed to let it set overnight and remove the paste with water the next morning.  It was supposed to remove the baked on grease.  The paste was very difficult to remove, and it did not remove the worst of the grease.  Once the oven dried, there was still baking soda residue in places.  Try as hard as I did, years later I can still sea white residue in places.  Moral of the story, Ill use baking soda for cooking but not cleaning.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Right-handed middle child, married to an ambidextrous middle child. Plenty of lefties in the family, darling mother (left handed) told us how her left-handed father was forced to learn to use his right hand in school. 😕
Thank you, Gerry for update on DH, prayers to all on the Care List, I think of and pray for Kazu and Shadow each day. 

• Like 22

Good morning all!

I'm very late today, I slept late (awake over 2 hours in the night, seems to be my new "normal").  Then to catch up on 3 pages 😉  

I'm left-handed-- well, I do all small motor skills with my left hand (writing, eating, sewing) and use my right hand for large motor skills (throwing a ball, bowling, etc.).  I cannot do those things with the opposite hand to save my life.  To my surprise, my feisty Mother went to my school and chewed out the teacher who was trying to force me to write with my right hand.  I probably had come home in tears about it and she was angry!  That teacher never did that again!

My oldest Grandson is also left-handed, we're the only ones in the family who are.  I'm sure his teachers aren't so misguided to try to get him to change thank goodness.  I remember being traumatized.

Not a middle child, I'm the third of 3 girls.  Have only done one garage sale and that was a neighborhood garage sale years ago.  I decided it was way too much trouble for what it was worth. Now everything is donated.  The quote is a good one, as is the meal and drink.  Will pass on the red wine.

We spent a couple days in Copenhagen after our Baltic cruise on the Eurodam in 2014.  We went to 3 castles -- and planned to go to Tivoli Gardens but sadly it poured rain that day and we spent most of it in our hotel room.  Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersand Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserfor the great photos.  

Debbie @dfishsorry about the rain on the day of the family picnic -- good thing you have a covered area.  Good news about the choices of homes for you!

Sandi @StLouisCruisersHappy Birthday to your DH Craig!

Gerry @ger_77I'm so sorry your DH has Covid, praying it will be mild and that you don't get sick.

Terry @smitty34877I'm glad Tana is feeling a bit better and that she has 24-hour help.

Some photos of our days in Copenhagen.

We took a canal boat ride and saw only the back of The Little Mermaid who was surrounded by a crowd of people.

1900969364_backoflittlemermaid.jpg.6075373a06e531ef64e98d3420bbc5d7.jpg

1647991323_canalboat.jpg.99bdaf3acfb74a8357977cbb978f5735.jpg

738370872_Copenhagencanalboatride.jpg.52a67e3c94aa002b68ece7721ccaa065.jpg

And visited Kronborg Castle

1903082043_KronbergCastle.jpg.3f56aa1b0a7cc4a245add61335ccfc7a.jpg

1160925714_courtyardKronbergCastle.jpg.d254faa0d9e1d6a78c279785e481e331.jpg

And Frederiiksberg Castle

369383608_FrederiiksbergCastle.jpg.cf2d7b412a329fa479589293bae6f00d.jpg

1923737370_exteriorcastle.jpg.be434fe6b95b8a7606a735d2d250adf2.jpg

And Rosenborg Castle

1968338930_RosenborgCastle.jpg.25a593ae4d2e8be7fadf780c8f09452a.jpg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Thanks to all of you who posted photos of Copenhagen.  I am excited that we will be there next summer.  We will spend a few days there at the end of the cruise plus there is a stop mid cruise.

It has been on my bucket list for a while.

Terri

• Like 20

4 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Thanks to all of you who posted photos of Copenhagen.  I am excited that we will be there next summer.  We will spend a few days there at the end of the cruise plus there is a stop mid cruise.

It has been on my bucket list for a while.

Terri

here are a few of mine. one is near the canals and one is of guards at the palace and of course the little mermaid.

P8090060.JPG

P8090046.JPG

P8090055.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Happy Saturday everyone. 

Copenhagen is a favorite port for many of us.  My first was 2003 on the N class Nordam. It was a 14 day Capitals of Europe cruise, and we disembarked in Copenhagen much closer to the city than the cruise port is now. 

Returned in 2013 on the Ryndam doing a 14 day Baltic cruise. 

Then in 2019, embarked on the Zuiderdam and did Norway and continuing onto Boston on the Viking Passage cruise. We found an AIRBNB room, yes small, that the owner needed to bike to the train station to lead us to it. Our GPS didn't work as Denmark blocks many cell phone data plans. My fourth and last time in Copenhagen was just in June on the Nieuw Statendam.  I had to leave the ship a few days later in Kiel with a perforated appendix. 

In 2019, Tom Jones was performing at Tivoli Gardens. We were disappointed to hear him sing those songs we know so well, but without his powerful delivery of his younger years.

20220610_115920.jpg

20220610_122602.jpg

20220610_123238.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sandi, I'm sorry. I thought your husband's name is Dennis! Wait, isn't Sharon's husband Craig? Is Cruising-Along messing with us??

Yes, his name is Dennis.  But hopefully I've trained him to come when called!😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

Thank you everyone for your concerns and caring.

I’m sorry I haven’t been on - I am kind of frozen except when working with Shadow.  I am seriously depressed.  In my opinion, this dog should never have been shipped.

So they say if I can’t keep her they will ship her back to Egypt.  WTH?  That is outright cruel IMO.  

She either needs some sort of help or frankly, should possibly be put down.  Her rescuer is adamant that she is a miracle dog and took her to 3 vets until she found one that said she would make it.  Just because you can survive distemper doesn’t mean it’s the right thing for the dog.  Sometimes you have to end the pain.

She is a sweet thing but you can see her brain spin trying to figure out how to get to different places.  That’s why she prances and jumps like a goat.  I have found a place for disabled dogs in Nova Scotia IF they will accept her.

they are concerned as she has had distemper and say it sheds for months (I didn’t know that, honestly but my dogs were all vaccinated and avoided it).  They need a ton of stuff that we don’t have yet.  The vet is being consulted tomorrow to see if she can be helped with braces or something.  I did now she had distemper but was told the only problem was her tongue which she moves weirdly.  I was fine with that.  Now I find out it has damaged the nerves in her back.  

My trainer was back out today as she feels so badly  (today was free as she feels the same pain I do).   She won’t come to us if we are on certain parts of the lawn as it’s too hard for her to manoeuvre. Distemper can affect dogs neurologically and her brain swims trying to figure things out..  But, if we sit on the deck she knows the path to get to us.  She has literally created paths outside where there are the fewest bumps or hills.

I have gotten very depressed over this and when I am not taking care of her, I become frozen or searching for answers.  I haven’t even got my spread sheets updated for my cruises (will try tonight - I’m a week behind) and that always gave me joy.  Now I am overwhelmed.  I think this stress has raised my grief to a new level.  I am seeing my doctor next week and attending grief counselling next Wednesday.  

This dog will never be walked properly IMO - she’s too unsteady.  She’s not frightened - she’s anxious.  She’s been fine meeting strangers.  And I won her over quickly.  She wants to be out instead of in the house because of her difficulty moving on the surfaces and, we all know that isn’t going to work in the winter.

I have been making her stay inside a few hours every day to try to adapt her (and of course she’s in at night).  She will sort of sit but every time she slips or falls, all the training falls by the wayside and she starts all over again.

She now wears a leash every time she is out so I can make her come in easier.  I don’t think she should be put through that flight and the crate to go back to Egypt.  I don’t think she should be in a crate with her issues, period - ever.

I have decided that life stinks.  I just can’t keep up to the Daily right now, sorry.  I will be back but right now, I’m not my best and have no good news.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 37

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thank you everyone for your concerns and caring.

I’m sorry I haven’t been on - I am kind of frozen except when working with Shadow.  I am seriously depressed.  In my opinion, this dog should never have been shipped.

So they say if I can’t keep her they will ship her back to Egypt.  WTH?  That is outright cruel IMO.  

She either needs some sort of help or frankly, should possibly be put down.  Her rescuer is adamant that she is a miracle dog and took her to 3 vets until she found one that said she would make it.  Just because you can survive distemper doesn’t mean it’s the right thing for the dog.  Sometimes you have to end the pain.

She is a sweet thing but you can see her brain spin trying to figure out how to get to different places.  That’s why she prances and jumps like a goat.  I have found a place for disabled dogs in Nova Scotia IF they will accept her.

they are concerned as she has had distemper and say it sheds for months (I didn’t know that, honestly but my dogs were all vaccinated and avoided it).  They need a ton of stuff that we don’t have yet.  The vet is being consulted tomorrow to see if she can be helped with braces or something.  I did now she had distemper but was told the only problem was her tongue which she moves weirdly.  I was fine with that.  Now I find out it has damaged the nerves in her back.  

My trainer was back out today as she feels so badly  (today was free as she feels the same pain I do).   She won’t come to us if we are on certain parts of the lawn as it’s too hard for her to manoeuvre. Distemper can affect dogs neurologically and her brain swims trying to figure things out..  But, if we sit on the deck she knows the path to get to us.  She has literally created paths outside where there are the fewest bumps or hills.

I have gotten very depressed over this and when I am not taking care of her, I become frozen or searching for answers.  I haven’t even got my spread sheets updated for my cruises (will try tonight - I’m a week behind) and that always gave me joy.  Now I am overwhelmed.  I think this stress has raised my grief to a new level.  I am seeing my doctor next week and attending grief counselling next Wednesday.  

This dog will never be walked properly IMO - she’s too unsteady.  She’s not frightened - she’s anxious.  She’s been fine meeting strangers.  And I won her over quickly.  She wants to be out instead of in the house because of her difficulty moving on the surfaces and, we all know that isn’t going to work in the winter.

I have been making her stay inside a few hours every day to try to adapt her (and of course she’s in at night).  She will sort of sit but every time she slips or falls, all the training falls by the wayside and she starts all over again.

She now wears a leash every time she is out so I can make her come in easier.  I don’t think she should be put through that flight and the crate to go back to Egypt.  I don’t think she should be in a crate with her issues, period - ever.

I have decided that life stinks.  I just can’t keep up to the Daily right now, sorry.  I will be back but right now, I’m not my best and have no good news.

Jacqui, I think I speak for all of us when I say take care of yourself and Shadow.  I hope the place for disabled dogs will take her.  She definitely should not be put through the stress of being shipped back to Egypt.

We' will miss you, but your health comes first, and we'll be here when you are able to join us and when you need support.

(((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))) 

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

17 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, I think I speak for all of us when I say take care of yourself and Shadow.  I hope the place for disabled dogs will take her.  She definitely should not be put through the stress of being shipped back to Egypt.

We' will miss you, but your health comes first, and we'll be here when you are able to join us and when you need support.

Lenda

Jacqui @kazuLenda said it perfectly so I fully agree with everything she said.  ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

1+

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jacqui @kazuLenda said it perfectly so I fully agree with everything she said.  ❤️❤️❤️

I do too.  You NEED to take care of yourself.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Just getting caught up.....sort of. I am off my computer which is in the shop having the evil demons removed.  No computer and no bank accounts since they were hacked. Back when I can....JACQUIE....I am so sorry about Shadow. Why would they send her back????? She would just be put down there. If a rescue can not take...better she is put down here with lot of love. She has probably had the best days of her life with you.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4