Tell me this isn’t true….more Guy’s Burgers cutbacks!!!!

silvercrikhix

After I saw a recent thread on the mushrooms, I sent a text to my sister saying that we may need to cancel our trip!  She was as horrified as I was. (know that we both love Carnival and we make each other laugh)

While we will both most definitely miss the mushrooms, we will still sail with big smiles and enjoy our embarkation burgers!  

• Like 2

Havent had Guys in awhile, found them too greasy, probably for about 5 years.  But I thought I would try the Funderstruck burger and loved it.  Even had it on another day.  For however long they keep it, I will be visiting Guys at least once per cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chili and Queso said:

Why is there no breakfast burger? Guy's burger, add an egg, some bacon, lettuce and tomato. Done.

I had one on the radiance when they were testing it out. Beef patty, hash brown, 2 fried eggs, bacon, maple aioli. Sure it had some real heft, but it was absolutely delicious. I think the Mardi Gras has them today.

I love Guy's burgers. Burgers are one of my favorite foods, but unfortunately more than half of restaurants (probably more) out there serve you a bland burger. To put your own toppings on burgers is key. Perhaps this is why I used to be such a huge fan of fuddruckers. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

I would rank Guy’s a close second to the Dive In burgers & fries on Holland America.

I will be on HAL next week for the first time in four years.  So will try the Dive In Burger.   I love Guy's burgers, but of course I hope you are right about the HAL burger!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I had one on the radiance when they were testing it out. Beef patty, hash brown, 2 fried eggs, bacon, maple aioli. Sure it had some real heft, but it was absolutely delicious. I think the Mardi Gras has them today.

I love Guy's burgers. Burgers are one of my favorite foods, but unfortunately more than half of restaurants (probably more) out there serve you a bland burger. To put your own toppings on burgers is key. Perhaps this is why I used to be such a huge fan of fuddruckers. 

Serving a sausage patty instead of a beef patty with that would kick it up a notch I'd say.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TxTeach79 said:

I'd have to double check - I can only be certain about Mardi Gras off the top of my head. Maybe somebody else can help??

I don't think Guy's had breakfast burgers on Mardi Gras a few weeks ago. It did not open until noon every day that I checked.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TxTeach79 said:

I'd have to double check - I can only be certain about Mardi Gras off the top of my head. Maybe somebody else can help??

As noted on post #30, they no longer offer the breakfast burger at Guy's. Not enough interest. It was already off the menu when we cruised on Mardi Gras in May.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Of course you know what they say about opinions but I would be willing to bet Guys wouldn't crack the top ten of cruise ship burgers if a survey were done.

LOL....I have cruised most of the mainstream lines and I can't even think of another burger that is memorable.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

I'll take the tacos and burritos from Blue Iguana over Guy's slop patties every day of the week.

As I eat tacos pretty much weekly here in San Diego, I can surely say that putting slop, unseasoned meat in a soft taco does not make it good, or a real taco.

• Like 2

Oh man! I like to get just a patty and put some onions and mushrooms on it. I noticed on our June cruise on Glory there was no mushrooms but I didn't realize this was a fleet wide thing! I was SO looking forward to them on our next cruise in October. Bummer. I might have to smuggle my own on, might need to buy some Rum Runners and use them for mushrooms!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

As I eat tacos pretty much weekly here in San Diego, I can surely say that putting slop, unseasoned meat in a soft taco does not make it good, or a real taco.

Didn't say it was a "real" taco.  Just said it was better than Guys grease patty.

But if we're going down the road of "real" food from our native areas...I don't even want to talk about the stuff Carnival passes as "pizza".   Worst I've ever had.  But, at least the 40 minute long lines for it don't affect me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

gatekeeping tacos? oof

• Like 2

Maybe unrelated, but on our most recent cruise with RCL, two of the mushroom dishes on the menu weren't available.  Turned out to be related to a mushroom recall due to Listeria contamination.

These days, it could also be a supply issue vs. a cutback.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 1

I enjoy food. Like, a lot. One of the foods I like best is a hamburger, sometimes a cheeseburger. If I had to guess, I've probably eaten more burgers than, well, most members of the human population have.  In many cases, significantly more. Sometimes, if I'm feeling a little peckish, I'll pop over to McDonald's (in a pinch), and get 5 McDoubles and a Big Mac, and go to town. That both soothes my cravings, and reminds me that McDonald's is kind of awful. Other times, I'll just ride over to Burger King, get a couple of Whoppers and fries, and just put that away to fight off the pangs.

I've eaten burgers in most every state, and a whole lot of  non-cruise related countries.  From wagyu burgers in Colorado (wagyu burgers are kind of nonsensical to me), to some kind of burger that might actually have been made out of ham beachside in Bibione.  Heck, I've eaten burgers on CCL before and after the Guy's burger rollout.  When I make burgers at home, I take my time and cook them very precisely to order, depending on the tastes of the individual who is going to be partaking of my beefy generosity.  Thick and rare?  I gotchu.  Smashburger on the grill?  Say no more fam, I have a griddle on the top rack nice and hot and ready to sear.  Well done?  If you insist, I guess.

What this is all leading to is that as a very experienced glutton, and radical devotee of the divine treat that is a burger, I find Guy's Burgers to be very underwhelming, and sometimes sub-par.  Kind of wish the seaside grill was still in operation, but with more toppings/condiments like are currenty (previously?) offered.  You know, like they have at Fuddrucker's.  

I want you to all have good hamburgers and cheeseburgers. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 12:37 PM, Expressman said:

Just got off Freedom last week. I knew there had been changes, but I really missed the mushrooms as a topping on Guys Burgers. Did not realize how important this was to me. 

Also, long standing issue is how slow the sauces are dispensed. I find that the squirt bottle of BBQ sauce is my go to sauce instead of dealing with the dispensers.

The fries aren't quite the same but I find this less of an issue than the lack of mushrooms. It is still the best burger on the seas but...

Love the mushrooms and onions, will also miss the mushrooms

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:36 PM, silvercrikhix said:

Was just reading nybumpkin’s Magic review and she says this:

Had Guy’s twice – while the burger was good, I was disappointed that they cut back the available toppings. My “go to” burger use to be a Plain Jane with cheese, topped with bacon and mushrooms and one of Guy’s sauces. The sauces are there, but the bacon and mushrooms were no more. 

OMG!!!!!!
Did I somehow miss this being another cut back?????

If this is true, I think we just hit the ‘what would it take to be over Carniva’l thread event. 
THAT’S too much. Dang, I hope this is a one off for some reason. With all the other bs changes they’re making……poo…I’m so disappointed….Crud….2 newbies on next up cruise. I’m about to be embarrassed to bring them. 

Yes, I know they were shut down, blah blah blah. But good heavens….

Nice review. Very enjoyable read. But, this is baaaaad news 😞

Edited just now by silvercrikhix

Not sure if this a cutback as much as a supply issue. There is a bacon shortage right now. Not sure about mushrooms.

• Like 1

okay, so I just got off the Carnival Liberty and noticed that Guy's did not have the mushrooms and it seemed to be replaced with Chilli.  However, the long lines were still proof of the appetite for the actual burger.  Each day, the lines appeared to get longer.  I enjoyed my burger even without the mushrooms.  I wish they would have the veggie burger at the Guys station.  I read here that you just needed to ask.  We did and were told to go to the deli.  However, the deli line was ridiculous and they only had one person working at the time.  So my DH (the pescatarian) opted to stay with me and just request the ringer without the beef pattie and then topped it off with the onions, peppers and other toppings and enjoyed that with his fries for one snack.

Lastly, I did not see any bacon on the buffet for breakfast the first morning.  Neither was it on the Guys burger station at anytime.  I did go to the sea day brunch the second morning and was served bacon.  I did not go to the final breakfast so not sure if it ever returned to the buffet.