The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 21st, 2022

richwmn

8 hours ago, kazu said:

Warnings are out already - Fiona is coming and if the water isn’t cold enough to slow her down enough - she will hit as a cat 3 Hurricane.  The strongest hurricane ever to hit Atlantic Canada.

So, I will be busy today between appointments and trying to get a bunch of stuff done.

@kazu Thinking of you as you prepare for Fiona but with prayers that Fiona changes course.

-M.

Edited by HAL Sailer
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I was browsing this morning for covid boosters and hoping for Moderna.. Viola! CVS got a shipment last night and we got our shots at 12:30 today. Then went to our local pub for lunch.

Well, don't know how these ugly, nasty, rotten, mean as snakes fire ant bites work, but I have 17 sites on my right leg with blisters and only 1 bite on my left. After our shots I bought a 91% rubbing alchohol and using it regularly. The pharmacist suggested drawing salve, calamine, cortisone and even medicinal turpentine. Never realized how bad these bites can be! Thank you, Texas...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

We may have lost the house in Michigan.  They got another offer.  The seller dragged it out as long as he could with us in the hopes of getting another offer.  My realtor is really mad.  

The inspector has come and gone.  He was here an hour longer than scheduled.  He broke the outdoor faucet in the back of the house.  I used it yesterday and it was fine.  But today he couldn't get it to turn off.   He was probably turning it the wrong way.  Hope he didn't find too much else to look at.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 9

A late good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

We certainly need International Peace and World Gratitude!. Miniature golf is fun, although I haven't played in a long time. Excellent quote.

The meal looks good. Pass on the drink and maybe on the wine.

I've been to Australia, but not Townsville.

I'm late today. I had a dental cleaning appointment this morning (good report) and then did a bit of grocery shopping. It's partly cloudy now and we're expected to have storms later with 60+ mph winds, possible hail and possible tornadic activity. Let's hope it's not that bad.

@Crazy For Cats Happy Birthday to Tucker and Jasper.

@seagarsmoker Sorry to hear about the cancelled cruise.

@kazu Happy to hear that you got your SUV back. Be careful moving the chairs and during the coming storm.

@dfish Good news on the dry basement after the rain last night. Fingers crossed for the inspection. Ugh on the Michigan seller; that stinks!

@smitty34877 Thank goodness for the neighbors. I hope Tana's appointment goes well. I'm sure it's hard to give up some control.

@HAL Sailer Great news about DSIL's scans! Prayers that the chemo is tolerable and effective.

@aliaschief That grilled shrimp salad looks good. Shrimp is one of the few seafood things I'll eat.

@*Miss G* Sorry to hear of your DH's father's ill health and your father's. Prayers for your family.

@Seasick Sailor Yikes on the fire ant bites! It sounds awful. I hope the remedies help with the discomfort.

@kochleffel It sounds like junior cat is improving. You're a busy person!

@HAL4NOW Prayers for your area, and good to hear that the Bolt Creek Fire has died down some.

@cat shepard Enjoying your travelogue.

@Cruising-along Sad for the DGSs that Nimbus hasn't been found. 

@Cruzin Terri Thinking of you and DH during your house ordeal.

@Copper10-8 Thanks for the laughs.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe and healthy Everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
This disappeared trying to post it!
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

We may have lost the house in Michigan.  They got another offer.  The seller dragged it out as long as he could with us in the hopes of getting another offer.  My realtor is really mad.  

The inspector has come and gone.  He was here an hour longer than scheduled.  He broke the outdoor faucet in the back of the house.  I used it yesterday and it was fine.  But today he couldn't get it to turn off.   He was probably turning it the wrong way.  Hope he didn't find too much else to look at.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you find a quick alternative. 

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, dfish said:

@dfish Oh, NO! Or as I really want to say:

"Oh, H-E-🏒🏒  NO!"

-Melisa 

Edited by HAL Sailer
spacing
  • Like 11

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

He broke the outdoor faucet in the back of the house.  I used it yesterday and it was fine. 

😲  That is terrible!!  I wonder, do you have any recourse?  Maybe your real estate agent will know.  Don’t worry if you lose the house you have an offer on.  Whenever I look back on disappointments, they turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

prayers for your DFIL and all the family.  Also I'm so sorry that your Dad isn't looking well.  ((hugs))

5 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

@*Miss G*Prayers for your family.  Sending you hugs.

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Life truly turns on a dime,  glad you felt you could share here.  Wishing you strength and peace as you navigate these difficult times.  

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I'm sorry about your DH's father nearing the end of his life.  Safe travels to you DH as he heads to NC.  I hope the situation with your father improves.  We have both lost our parents, and know what you are going through.  I'm glad you felt comfortable sharing with us, and we're here for you whenever you feel like sharing.

40 minutes ago, kazu said:

@*Miss G* such sad news on your dear father in law 😢 and so concerning on your own father. 💔   You are understandably conflicted but please don’t feel guilty.  My prayers are with you and your DH and of course, both of your fathers 🙏🏻   

16 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@*Miss G* 🙏Prayers for you and your DH as you each travel and deal with all you've been dealt.🙏

12 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@*Miss G* Sorry to hear of your DH's father's ill health and your father's. Prayers for your family.

Thank you all so much, as well as to all those who “reacted”.  My husband is almost at his parents’ house.  He will let me know when he has a better idea of how things are.  He did a quick run down there, last week, and got back the day we left for Canada.  At that time, his father opened his eyes and was aware he was there, but was unable to speak.  He has been receiving home hospice care.  My sister-in-law was the one who called last night to say he was rapidly deteriorating and to get there sooner rather than later.  She is familiar with the signs as she sat with her daughter in 2020 as she passed.

I might have ice cream for dinner.  🍦

Edited by *Miss G*
Poor grammar.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 12

28 minutes ago, dfish said:

Well DAM and WTH?????  Something is not right in Denmark, me thinks.

If you had an accepted offer and met the conditions it should have been abided by.

I’d go looking for another house (not the words you want to hear) rather than deal with this jerk.

And blast your inspector.

9 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I might have ice cream for dinner.  🍦

If it were me in your situation, I’d be having some wine with your ice cream 😉.   Ice cream does have some nutrients but remember under stress, it’s important to eat well balance meals (this from the pot calling the kettle black).

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily. Carnitas..my kinda food with DosEquis. My Lumbar Back SurgeryDay #8 re-cupe going well. (I didn’t know EBay has a whole section of USED orthopedic drills/saws etc.. morbidly interesting). Gonna pass on a TransAtlantic in Nov. Rome/FLL. Therefore, wife and her friend must  suffer thru it without me. 

• Like 11

Good evening.

Thank you to Rich for the Fleet Report and the Daily.

I like the quote from John Lennon as well as the days.  I must admit that it has been years since I played Mini Golf.. However I am a champion of International Peace and World Gratitude.

I will take a pass on the wine, drink and meal.  We have been reduced to take out.  When we get back to the condo I am usually too tired to cook.  

This afternoon, before we left Bluffton, I stopped at the local butcher, where they prepare take out food and bought things that I just have to warm up.  Very easy. And there’s a bottle of wine in the fridge.

Prayers for all that need them.

@*Miss G* I hope your DH makes it in time to his father and I pray that your father is doing okay.  Hope you get to go on your trip.

@dfish Debbie, I am sorry your deal may have fallen through.  Who knows, you may find your dream house.  Sorry about the faucet.  I hope the inspector doesn’t report it as broken.

@smitty34877Terry, you have wonderful neighbors to be helping you with Tana.  You do need to step back and let the aide do most of the work.

@aliaschiefthat salad looks delicious, but the way I feel, it is just too much work.

Prayers for all those who need them and that I did not mention. And cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

As for us, we had to get up at 6:30 am, have breakfast, get washed and dressed, and do an hour’s drive to get to our house in time to meet the plumber at about 9 am.  That is earlier than anytime I want to do anything.  That is like going to work.  

Two young men showed up and their orders did not agree with what I was told was going to happen. I was not able to get in contact with Service Master so we wasted a lot of time.  Finally the tub came out in pieces and shower head but not the shower stall.  They did not haul the tub away. They just left it in the middle of the bathroom.  Thank you very much.

I also learned that I will not get a contract soon, because the water mitigation is not yet finished.  So it is impossible to prepare an estimate.  So the waiting is about to begin.  I have a feeling that this is going to take a long time.

We were going to go and look at paint colors today, but were so tired that after going to the butcher we went right back to the condo.  Now I am sitting with my feet up and just resting for a while.

Jim and I appreciate all your support and prayers.

Have a great evening and stay safe,

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

3 great days, although it's many years since I've played miniature golf. 

Well, not entirely.  One of the hallmarks of Crystal World Cruises was a "World Cruise Games" which featured events attuned to the age of the passengers.  I was on that segment in 2018 and one of the events was putting.  I did not do well but had one moment of glory with a hole in one:

holeinone.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

1 hour ago, dfish said:

That stinks. Really stinks. The seller should watch out for Karma. 

My best wishes for you two finding a place that is even more of what you want. 

• Like 12

For @dfish I suggest you do a Google search for homes for sale in Midland, MI.  A couple of sites like realtor.com and homes.com will come up describing about 300 available homes there with new ones added daily.  Another thought is that a high percentage of current offers do not end in a sale as mortgage rates are increasing or a costly defect is found in the inspection.  So that house may be back on the market again.

Ray

• Like 12

Our visit to the Tex/Mex restaurant did not disappoint.  We've been going there ever since they opened, and the food is consistently good.  

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Last evening I was pulling some weeds in the flower bed and got 6 fire ant bites. They are blistered and so painful. I got the fire ant killer granules on the mound and this morning they were all gone. Our monthly pest team is due on Thursday for our last mosquito spray and yearly fire ant treatment. 🐜 Go figure..

Joy, I feel your pain.  I've been bitten by fire ants 🐜 more times than I want to remember.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Debbie, to quote my favorite line from A Christmas Story, "Oh, fudge!" on both counts. Could you, if you wanted to continue dealing with that jerk, make a new offer?  On the other hand, your realtor may find you an even better house.  While this is not nice, hopefully the jerk will do business with someone who treats him the same way.  👿

Can you get the inspector to pay to replace the faucet he broke?

10 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report and I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

HAL canceled our March NA cruise. Not sure what we are going to do now.  😞 

Oct06cruise 150.jpg

I'm sorry your  cruise was cancelled.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

The fire flared up again today as temperatures rose, winds increased, and humidity decreased. The flames sounded like jet engines each time a new cluster of forest erupted. Thankfully, the wind is heading in a favorable direction and the town of Skykomish remains on a level one evacuation notice.

526083542_fire1.thumb.jpg.b1fe413188123fab0c9b1ffa6e2ed349.jpg

Fresh fire is being started by burning logs rolling down the hillside.

529200628_fire2.thumb.jpg.a2a9b49e7948a3cd13cbcfdfc30c07e9.jpg

And the fall crocuses also decided to flare up.

508266485_fire3(2).jpg.fc7a69330f2a7d5b4ed8f179045050e0.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish Good news on the dry basement after the rain last night. Fingers crossed for the inspection. Ugh on the Michigan seller; that stinks!

Thanks, Vanessa.   I agree about the Michigan seller.

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you find a quick alternative. 

Me, too!

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

@dfish Oh, NO! Or as I really want to say:

"Oh, H-E-🏒🏒  NO!"

-Melisa 

I think that is what my realtor said.  He told me he ripped the other realtor a new one for dragging this out and playing us while they waited for another offer.  

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

😲  That is terrible!!  I wonder, do you have any recourse?  Maybe your real estate agent will know.  Don’t worry if you lose the house you have an offer on.  Whenever I look back on disappointments, they turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Thank you!  We did put in a last ditch offer that met the criteria he set in his last counter.  Haven't heard anything yet.   Prayers for your DFIL and DF.   I've been through that as well.  

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

@dfishthe perfect house with a no attitude seller is just around the corner. Prayers. 

I sure hope so!

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Well DAM and WTH?????  Something is not right in Denmark, me thinks.

If you had an accepted offer and met the conditions it should have been abided by.

I’d go looking for another house (not the words you want to hear) rather than deal with this jerk.

And blast your inspector.

We are looking for another house.  But, as my realtor noted, there really isn't much out there that is comparable.  If we go comparable in cost we get some questionable properties.  It is a difficult market.

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@dfish,I am so sorry about the house.And the faucet. 

It will all work out.   The faucet is the least of my worries.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

@dfish Debbie, I am sorry your deal may have fallen through.  Who knows, you may find your dream house.  Sorry about the faucet.  I hope the inspector doesn’t report it as broken.

This is nothing compared to what  you are going through.  We'll be ok.

51 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

That stinks. Really stinks. The seller should watch out for Karma. 

My best wishes for you two finding a place that is even more of what you want. 

Thank you.  We'll find something.  Eventually.

48 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

For @dfish I suggest you do a Google search for homes for sale in Midland, MI.  A couple of sites like realtor.com and homes.com will come up describing about 300 available homes there with new ones added daily.  Another thought is that a high percentage of current offers do not end in a sale as mortgage rates are increasing or a costly defect is found in the inspection.  So that house may be back on the market again.

Ray

Ray, I check realtor.com every morning and every evening.  There may be 300 homes available but they are either way over our budget or less than 1000 square feet.  We don't want to sit on each other's laps.  

43 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, to quote my favorite line from A Christmas Story, "Oh, fudge!" on both counts. Could you, if you wanted to continue dealing with that jerk, make a new offer?  On the other hand, your realtor may find you an even better house.  While this is not nice, hopefully the jerk will do business with someone who treats him the same way.  👿

Can you get the inspector to pay to replace the faucet he broke?

We did make another offer, but haven't heard anything back.   As for the faucet, I have possession of the inspector's level.  He left it in my basement.  He gets it back when I get a new faucet.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

Evening all, I can’t say good because of all the grief and stress everyone has endured today. 
 @dfish, how about filing an ethics complaint with the Bar association about the jerk of an attorney ?  I know everything will work out for the best.🤞
     I’m still not sure about the cruise , Aetna has denied to pay for the Botox, claims it doesn’t meet the criteria. I have left a message for the Dr , not in office today.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 🙏❤️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

46 minutes ago, dfish said:

Thanks, Vanessa.   I agree about the Michigan seller.

Me, too!

I think that is what my realtor said.  He told me he ripped the other realtor a new one for dragging this out and playing us while they waited for another offer.  

Thank you!  We did put in a last ditch offer that met the criteria he set in his last counter.  Haven't heard anything yet.   Prayers for your DFIL and DF.   I've been through that as well.  

I sure hope so!

We are looking for another house.  But, as my realtor noted, there really isn't much out there that is comparable.  If we go comparable in cost we get some questionable properties.  It is a difficult market.

It will all work out.   The faucet is the least of my worries.

This is nothing compared to what  you are going through.  We'll be ok.

Thank you.  We'll find something.  Eventually.

Ray, I check realtor.com every morning and every evening.  There may be 300 homes available but they are either way over our budget or less than 1000 square feet.  We don't want to sit on each other's laps.  

We did make another offer, but haven't heard anything back.   As for the faucet, I have possession of the inspector's level.  He left it in my basement.  He gets it back when I get a new faucet.

The level for a new faucet sounds fair.  I have no doubt you'll find the perfect house.  In the meantime, relax with some cardbordeaux. 🍷

22 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Evening all, I can’t say good because of all the grief and stress everyone has endured today. 
 @dfish, how about filing an ethics complaint with the Bar association about the jerk of an attorney ?  I know everything will work out for the best.🤞
     I’m still not sure about the cruise , Aetna has denied to pay for the Botox, claims it doesn’t meet the criteria. I have left a message for the Dr , not in office today.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 🙏❤️

I'm sorry the insurance denied the botox.  I hope the doctor can appeal.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The level for a new faucet sounds fair.  I have no doubt you'll find the perfect house.  In the meantime, relax with some cardbordeaux. 🍷

Cardboardeaux sounds really good, but I don't have any.  I'm in my jammies and it is too much effort to get dressed and go get some.

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I'm not sure the jerk is worth the effort to file an ethics complaint.  I hope the Dr. can appeal the decision about Botox.  It is expensive to pay on your own.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The Northwest saga continues….

September 9th

Ketchikan

Gym, coffee, Lido.

Didi, our cabin steward extraordinaire came to say goodbye. His contract was done and he was flying home from Ketchikan. It would take him three days (partly because of crossing the International Dateline) to get home. We exchanged hugs, and took the opportunity to express our thanks. 

A “late to return couple” in Juneau resulted in our departing almost 30 minutes late, and as a result, we were a bit late arriving in Ketchikan. We were a bit nervous because we’d booked a flight with Island Wings. And then had a tour with Kawanti Adventures including a rainforest hike, Totem Park & Raptor rehab center visit, and possible wildlife sightings.  It would be a tight squeeze time-wise. 

The Niew Amsterdam thankfully got the prime spot on the dock, and the end of the gangway was just feet from the Rain Gauge meeting spot. 

Our Island Wings shuttle driver found us and led us and another group to the shuttle. A short ride to the office and dock, we paid and then boarded the plane. Michelle, the owner, was our pilot.

F812D1F0-80AE-4AEA-A060-A991C49D1B7B.jpeg.1dd2e67e30a79ac140c485911cf51885.jpeg

She made us welcome and comfortable and pointed out so many amazing vistas as we flew over the Misty Fjords. She landed the plane on Grace Lake - a pristine wilderness where not a sound could be heard. We picked and enjoyed some blueberries ripe for the taking! 

I did not leave one blueberry on this bush for the photo!

0970D8D2-4A53-45EC-B712-A2AF4CF75DB4.jpeg.db293d08ef4a5c2ca3f699cd36a1626e.jpeg

We flew back via a different route and saw some tiny white dots on the mountains that Michelle said were mountain goats. We just had to believe her!

Landing on the water was smooth and fun, since we taxied right by the Niew Amsterdam.  We said our farewells, and were dropped back off at the Rain Gauge.  

We nibbled on peanut butter stuffed pretzels while we waited for the next shuttle driver. I don’t believe I mentioned packing a humongous bag of these nummy treats for those times when a meal was not possible, but we needed something to eat. They came in very handy.  And were somewhat nutritious. 

Our driver quickly found us & we were off. We arrived at the entrance to the rainforest and our guides, Claire & Bryn split us into two groups. Claire waited with the group that included those who needed to use the facilities and the rest of us went with Bryn. She was amazing. A treasure trove of information, with some corny jokes thrown in. 

9264CEF5-D38B-4E46-BEE6-4A2F871E18A5.jpeg.676fe42c89b1a355f19ae6a9c53c22cb.jpeg

She pointed out a wide variety of plants, often in a symbiotic relationship. She offered all of us the opportunity to pet or hold a Banana Slug, a creature she described as one who does a lot for its environment. I touched it, and was surprised it did not feel slimy. But I resisted the temptation to hold it. 😎. I did not have to resist very hard. 

The rainforest opened up to a creek bed. Not only was it filled with salmon heading to the waters of their origin, there were gulls everywhere and a Black Bear!

37BC090E-D6A1-41DA-8D49-AD03264CCD93.jpeg.03c1e39e95213539d6877dd75c7ec84a.jpeg

Bryn led us to the Raptor rehab center, an abandoned saw mill, where Douglas was working on carving his totem in a room that was part of the abandoned saw mill. Saws were literally left in huge sections of tree trunks when the workers found out the owner had left for other parts. 

We then walked out to the Totem Park, where she left us to explore the totems. Each had a sign that not only explained the figures represented, but also the story behind each figure. We spent a great deal of time with three people from New Zealand on a Celebrity cruise. They were as fascinated as we were and they found similarities with their Māori people’s carvings. 

Our driver took us back to the dock and we were 45 minutes before final boarding!

We quickly changed and went up to the Crow’s Nest for Happy Hour and Sail Away.  No John! We had to actually order our drinks. And no nibbles either. Clearly we were spoiled. We made sure to submit a Let Us Know about how much we appreciated John and how well he took care of us. 

Downtown Ketchikan from the Crow’s Nest. 

F7CDC50C-8614-408B-91C9-E93A970947AC.jpeg.7cfd007b6854f5079cbe250b7f3181b7.jpeg

We headed down to the MDR, were greeted by Daniel, and seated in Toto’s section. He was amazing and we found ourselves wishing we had met him our first time in the MDR. We really enjoyed our meal. Took the rest of the wine back to the cabin and enjoyed a warmish evening on the Verandah after checking out the reading group.

35A9E173-56DC-49E9-83CB-35975378805D.jpeg.28055972a77105ae3de3e7086a9f9f4d.jpeg

We were looking forward to a day of nothing….

We slept so well.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3