The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 20th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

We are doing our final packing and last steps for closing up the cottage. We head back to Minnesota this morning. We'll stay overnight in Sault Ste Marie and be back in St. Paul Friday for dinner!

Safe travels home

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Dancing with the Devil cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Triple Sec Liqueur
2 parts Jim Beam® Devil's Cut®
1 part Lemon Sour
1 part Passion Fruit Juice
2 dashes Tabasco® Hot Sauce
Garnish with Maraschino Cherries

Instructions
Shake all with ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry or orange slice.

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 7.47.39 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I haven't had brandied fruit in years; the last time I did, it was a gift from a friend.  Cheers for both chefs and waiters who make our dining experiences memorable!

A little late to the party - slept in, sort of.  Last night's guests stayed later than we thought, although it was great getting together with DH's bandmates and their wives.  Lots of stories went around the room, we had lots of food and laughter, so it was worth having to clean up starting at midnight.  

We've had daytime temps of +15 for the past couple of days, so we figured today would be a good day to put the Christmas lights on the house (we don't turn them on until Dec 1), but there's rain in the forecast for today, followed by wind.  And starting tomorrow, our highs will only be in single digits, so I'm not sure we'll get that job done.   There's nothing like standing on a ladder, trying to hook lights onto the gutters with freezing fingers, but that might be what we'll have to do.

I don't think I'd ever make today's recipe, but might order it if I saw it on a menu (the liver paste turned me off), but we've got serious leftovers to deal with.  There's cheese, salami (3 types), veggies, and half a loaf of pumpernickel filled with a crab/shrimp/cheese mixture that needs to be consumed, so we'll be having a do-over of last night for the two of us at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, especially the people of Ukraine who are valiantly fighting every day; cheers to all who have celebrations.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27

Last night I had a B52 drink for the first time. I’m not a big cocktail drinker but I saw someone else order it for dessert and it looked delicious. I loved it!  It’s meant to be drunk as a shot but I did it in two shots. It might become my new dessert. 

E5D6AB7E-AF50-45F1-B044-39972FC93701.thumb.jpeg.6ececb39baf42b6b9d066df055dae7c4.jpeg

It’s a layered drink. Bottom layer is Kahlua, middle is Bailey’s, top is Grand Mariner. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Good cool and sunny morning. It’s currently the same temperature here as in Juneau. 
   We heard from the vet yesterday about Ninja, she wants more blood work in 3 weeks. Blood count is still abnormal but still not sure if it’s his thyroid medication. He continues to gain weight and his thyroid medication is working. 
   I have a haircut appointment for this afternoon, not much else happening.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 21

29 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Last night I had a B52 drink for the first time. I’m not a big cocktail drinker but I saw someone else order it for dessert and it looked delicious. I loved it!  It’s meant to be drunk as a shot but I did it in two shots. It might become my new dessert. 

E5D6AB7E-AF50-45F1-B044-39972FC93701.thumb.jpeg.6ececb39baf42b6b9d066df055dae7c4.jpeg

It’s a layered drink. Bottom layer is Kahlua, middle is Bailey’s, top is Grand Mariner. 

I will have to try this...... my kind of after dinner drink.

• Like 10

Sister is off to a doctor's appointment. Hopefully all will go well. I am enjoying my Maryland visit with fried oysters yesterday. I do miss good oyster and crab in Durango. I am watching the weather this weekend. I am due back in Durango Saturday night around 8:45..... we will see if I beat the weather that is forecast. In any case it will probably be a cold rain us but the walk out to my car will be wet and cold. That is, if I even make the flight. The time between my arrival in Denver and departure for Durango has gotten tighter (thanks, United). I am arranging some assistance. I can walk the distance, but I am no longer speedy. 

Susan

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone from a smokey Pacific Northwest. Today should be the last day of smoke conditions as rain is in the forecast for the next week. The smoke is so heavy that you can smell and taste it - not fun! 

I'm reading every day (several times) but life has been busy. Last Thursday DH went down on my twice and the second time I had him transported to the local ER. By the time I got there he was shaking and not too coherent. Diagnosis - bladder infection (turned out to be a yeast one) and a small broken bone in his left ankle. He was admitted, has a boot on his left foot, etc. Tuesday he was transferred to a local rehab/care facility and will probably be there a few weeks as they work to build his stamina. Due to his memory issues I try to be there from 11:30 - 5:00 or so. Yesterday was the intake for both OT and PT. Speech tried but DH was asleep and couldn't be woken. DH is doing fine, has a good attitude about things, and waits every day for the treats (some cookies and a bit of fudge) that I bring. It just is a new routine to get used to. 

Have a good day today everyone!

Karen

• Like 14
  • Thanks 10

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

When I was growing up a friend of my Mother always put a jar of brandied peaches in my Christmas stocking; I felt very grown up! A salute to Chefs and Waiters. Fun and true quote!

The meal is ok, sans liver. I will pass on the drink and wine. I like Roy's meal.

I haven't been to Hualien.

Brrrrr. It was about 33F this AM. We're up to a balmy 45F now and it's sunny, but there's a wind chill making it feel like 36F. I'm just doing stuff around the house; my house is a mess from my ebay activities. Tomorrow I see the Ortho doc, then flu and bivalent vaccines in the afternoon.

My area is busy today, as Biden will be here to look at the progress on the fallen bridge; we're all delighted that it may be finished by year's end, rather than the 3 year original estimate.

@HAL4NOW Sorry to hear about the positive Covid test; good that DW is negative.

@Vict0riann Condolences on the loss of Pat's cousin and sorry to hear the cousin in CA is failing.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Good to hear DH did no damage with the fall, and that family is coming to help until the next surgery. It sounds like it was quite the challenge getting to the hospital.

@aliaschief Bon Voyage! Wow on that food market.

@Overhead Fred Safe travels home.

@kazu It's always something! A piece blew off my roof, so now I'm waiting for the roofer to come back and fix it.

@smitty34877 Good to hear Fred is ok. Thanks, I wondered about the RA med, but when mentioned to the Rheum PA, she accurately recalled that I had issues preceding its use. So far I just have the elevated liver tests (?due to meds) and some fatty infiltration of the pancreas (which can be treated with diet, weight loss and exercise, which I need to do anyway). She thinks maybe irritable bowel. I still need to submit a "sample".

@Sharon in AZ I've heard of B52 drinks but never had one. I'll have to try it!

@luvteaching Sorry to hear about DH's fall, infection and broken bone. I hope rehab will get him feeling and moving better. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. Extra prayers for those in Ukraine who have no utilities from the bombings, as winter sets in.

Stay safe everyone.

The fall color is outstanding this year. This is a picture from this morning by a local photographer, Dave DiCello.

Fall10_20_22.thumb.jpg.58f1cef9b2f7450299fb03d52a29df16.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 3

A second antigen test was negative, needed because of an acupuncture appointment later today.

I would try kaldereta in a restaurant but would be unlikely to make it at home. Washington Chardonnay is always OK with me although I slightly prefer Sauvignon Blanc. I don't think I would enjoy the cocktail.

Bridgeport.jpg.7bca4b8e6e3c40b2e733dc06499a9efb.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning everyone from a smokey Pacific Northwest. Today should be the last day of smoke conditions as rain is in the forecast for the next week. The smoke is so heavy that you can smell and taste it - not fun! 

I'm reading every day (several times) but life has been busy. Last Thursday DH went down on my twice and the second time I had him transported to the local ER. By the time I got there he was shaking and not too coherent. Diagnosis - bladder infection (turned out to be a yeast one) and a small broken bone in his left ankle. He was admitted, has a boot on his left foot, etc. Tuesday he was transferred to a local rehab/care facility and will probably be there a few weeks as they work to build his stamina. Due to his memory issues I try to be there from 11:30 - 5:00 or so. Yesterday was the intake for both OT and PT. Speech tried but DH was asleep and couldn't be woken. DH is doing fine, has a good attitude about things, and waits every day for the treats (some cookies and a bit of fudge) that I bring. It just is a new routine to get used to. 

Have a good day today everyone!

Karen

I'm really sorry to hear about your DH's infection and broken bone.  Meanwhile you're kept busy running back and forth to keep him company.  I hope he can get to rehab soon to build that stamina back up.  Take care!

58 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

When I was growing up a friend of my Mother always put a jar of brandied peaches in my Christmas stocking; I felt very grown up! A salute to Chefs and Waiters. Fun and true quote!

The meal is ok, sans liver. I will pass on the drink and wine. I like Roy's meal.

I haven't been to Hualien.

Brrrrr. It was about 33F this AM. We're up to a balmy 45F now and it's sunny, but there's a wind chill making it feel like 36F. I'm just doing stuff around the house; my house is a mess from my ebay activities. Tomorrow I see the Ortho doc, then flu and bivalent vaccines in the afternoon.

My area is busy today, as Biden will be here to look at the progress on the fallen bridge; we're all delighted that it may be finished by year's end, rather than the 3 year original estimate.

@HAL4NOW Sorry to hear about the positive Covid test; good that DW is negative.

@Vict0riann Condolences on the loss of Pat's cousin and sorry to hear the cousin in CA is failing.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Good to hear DH did no damage with the fall, and that family is coming to help until the next surgery. It sounds like it was quite the challenge getting to the hospital.

@aliaschief Bon Voyage! Wow on that food market.

@Overhead Fred Safe travels home.

@kazu It's always something! A piece blew off my roof, so now I'm waiting for the roofer to come back and fix it.

@smitty34877 Good to hear Fred is ok. Thanks, I wondered about the RA med, but when mentioned to the Rheum PA, she accurately recalled that I had issues preceding its use. So far I just have the elevated liver tests (?due to meds) and some fatty infiltration of the pancreas (which can be treated with diet, weight loss and exercise, which I need to do anyway). She thinks maybe irritable bowel. I still need to submit a "sample".

@Sharon in AZ I've heard of B52 drinks but never had one. I'll have to try it!

@luvteaching Sorry to hear about DH's fall, infection and broken bone. I hope rehab will get him feeling and moving better. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. Extra prayers for those in Ukraine who have no utilities from the bombings, as winter sets in.

Stay safe everyone.

The fall color is outstanding this year. This is a picture from this morning by a local photographer, Dave DiCello.

Fall10_20_22.thumb.jpg.58f1cef9b2f7450299fb03d52a29df16.jpg

What a pretty picture!  When the sun is low like that everything seems to gleam.

Good luck with your Ortho appointment and shots tomorrow.  Sounds like a busy day.

Are you planning on voting early or on Nov. 8?  It's a big election there.  We will be voting tomorrow I would guess.  Maybe have lunch out.  The news says Monday, which was opening day for early voting, set a mid-term election record by a long shot.  Apparently all the crude remarks made by the mainstream media against our updated voting regulations were incorrect, as most everyone here believed.  In Georgia it's easy to vote, but harder to cheat.  I'm looking forward to casting my vote.  And if we need a run-off (less than 50% of the vote for the leading candidate), we should be here for that election too.  I believe it would be early January.  We try to avoid traveling during elections.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 13

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

What a pretty picture!  When the sun is low like that everything seems to gleam.

Good luck with your Ortho appointment and shots tomorrow.  Sounds like a busy day.

Are you planning on voting early or on Nov. 8?  It's a big election there.  We will be voting tomorrow I would guess.  Maybe have lunch out.  The news says Monday, which was opening day for early voting, set a mid-term election record by a long shot.  Apparently all the crude remarks made by the mainstream media against our updated voting regulations were incorrect, as most everyone here believed.  In Georgia it's easy to vote, but harder to cheat.  I'm looking forward to casting my vote.  And if we need a run-off (less than 50% of the vote for any one candidate), we should be here for that election too.  I believe it would be early January.  We try to avoid traveling during elections.

We don't have early voting here. I have a mail-in ballot, a hold over from when Covid was bad. I'll be glad when the election is done, if only to be rid of the awful name-calling commercials on TV 24/7!

@grapau27 You look very handsome in your suit! And the meal looks good too 😉. We don't get to see Pauline's smiling face?

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

We don't have early voting here. I have a mail-in ballot, a hold over from when Covid was bad. I'll be glad when the election is done, if only to be rid of the awful name-calling commercials on TV 24/7!

@grapau27 You look very handsome in your suit! And the meal looks good too 😉. We don't get to see Pauline's smiling face?

I hear you about all these vicious commercials!

Where is Graham's suit?  He must have edited it out.  I would like to see them both dressed up.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all! Sorry to hear about more falls in the daily family.  
@summer slope a special shout out for the interesting drinks,  spicy passion fruit,  I’d Iike to try that! 
@Sharon in AZ continuing the drink theme,  I don’t drink coffee but will with a B52😂

@kazu sorry you have two sore arms,  I didn’t get a sore arm this time, just the fatigue, but DH had a sore arm three days later. Always different. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 14

43 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

I hope I did not let the cat out of the bag. Anyone who responded to this post has dated themselves; let’s say at least +65 ?

Hate to break the bad news to you Redneck Bob, but we all did that when we remembered who Groucho Marx was in your original post.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Sister is off to a doctor's appointment. Hopefully all will go well. I am enjoying my Maryland visit with fried oysters yesterday. I do miss good oyster and crab in Durango. I am watching the weather this weekend. I am due back in Durango Saturday night around 8:45..... we will see if I beat the weather that is forecast. In any case it will probably be a cold rain us but the walk out to my car will be wet and cold. That is, if I even make the flight. The time between my arrival in Denver and departure for Durango has gotten tighter (thanks, United). I am arranging some assistance. I can walk the distance, but I am no longer speedy. 

Susan

Glad you arranged for assistance, Susan 👍 I hope Mother Nature smiles on you and you can get home safely and make your flights.  Wishing you early safe travels.

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

. Last Thursday DH went down on my twice and the second time I had him transported to the local ER. By the time I got there he was shaking and not too coherent. Diagnosis - bladder infection (turned out to be a yeast one) and a small broken bone in his left ankle. He was admitted, has a boot on his left foot, etc. Tuesday he was transferred to a local rehab/care facility and will probably be there a few weeks as they work to build his stamina. Due to his memory issues I try to be there from 11:30 - 5:00 or so. Yesterday was the intake for both OT and PT. Speech tried but DH was asleep and couldn't be woken. DH is doing fine, has a good attitude about things, and waits every day for the treats (some cookies and a bit of fudge) that I bring. It just is a new routine to get used to. 

Sorry to hear about your DH, Karen 😔 Hoping the OT and PT can help and kudos to you for being with him and treating him 👍. Wishing him the best recovery possible.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

OH NO!  I hope your roofer can get there to repair it quickly. 🤞 

6 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

We are doing our final packing and last steps for closing up the cottage. We head back to Minnesota this morning. We'll stay overnight in Sault Ste Marie and be back in St. Paul Friday for dinner!

Safe travels home!

@cunnorlMy condolences on the loss of your friend.  Losses of dear ones are so hard.  Prayers for her, her family & you 🙏 

20 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@kazu sorry you have two sore arms,  I didn’t get a sore arm this time, just the fatigue, but DH had a sore arm three days later. Always different. 

Thanks.  I’ll take a sore arm over the fatigue any day. 😉 

@aliaschiefscrumptious food in your pics - thanks for starting our day off brighter 🙂 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hear you about all these vicious commercials!

Where is Graham's suit?  He must have edited it out.  I would like to see them both dressed up.

Thank you Sandi.

Tonight's desert.

IMG_20221020_194220.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 12

Hi everyone,

I am doing a quick check-in just to let you all know that we are alive and well.

We attempted to check in to our alternative living arrangements on Tuesday only to find out that we had to climb three flights of stairs to get to the apartment.  This was not going to work and was not noted on the description on the website.

For the past two days we have been trying to get in touch with the owners and the insurance company to make alternate arrangements.

Airbnb was not cooperative at first but finally gave in and refunded our money after the owner agreed.

We have now found alternate living arrangements in a builiding with an elevator in a gated community.  It is a two-bedroom, two bath  apartment and we have it until the end of February.

Hopefully we won’t need it that long.

it is very comfortable.  We will move in tomorrow.

We were very concerned that we would not have a place to hang our hats.

It has been a very tiring and frustrating time since we got home from Barbados.  

i will post more when we get settled.

Thank you for your prayers and concern.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1