The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday October 23rd, 2022

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Interesting days. I don't have a MIL. Never had Mole (sauce) but don't like moles (animals) digging in my yard, and never heard of chemistry mole day. I don't watch TV talk shows. Good quote.

I like quesadillas, but never made one myself. Pass on the drink and wine. I like Roy's meal.

I have not been to Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt. I had some coworkers from Egypt, and even they acknowledged politics made it difficult to visit.

It's a lovely day here, 70F and sunny, after a chilly start. Of course lost on me, as I'm inside doing my GI prep. I also need to try to unjam paper from my ancient HP laserjet printer. So far the knee is eh, but I know the gel injections take a while to work.

@aliaschief Thanks for the photos from your river cruise.

@ShipsAreTheBest Welcome to the Fleet Report/Daily!

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr. David's sermon. 

@msmayor I'm sure you enjoyed having Lana and her parents there, as well as Dean.

@kazu Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend's brother. 

@StLouisCruisers How exciting for Ren and Colton to get to play with that older team; great experience. And to get to see DD as well!

@smitty34877 Wishing you all some peace and repose from all you are going through.

@kochleffel Sorry to hear you were ill and couldn't attend Fran's memorial service. That seems strange of the pastor to speak like that. I hope you are feeling better.

@HAL4NOW I hope you and DW are feeling ok.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Prayers for DH's surgery tomorrow, his medical team and your travel to the hospital.

@Sharon in AZ Safe travels home. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Home again.....and glad to be here. I have tried to keep up with the Boards, but haven't always been able to. Will have to look back when I get a chance. Picked up the dogs this morning and they are really glad to be home, especially the Chihuahua who raced madly around the house. I am afraid he thought he was being rehomed again.

Quick summary to the week - with more information than you probably really want to know.

Durango to Denver. Left the condo at 5:30... it was dark. Plane left Durango 45 minutes late as it needed deicing. Smooth flight. Arrival in Denver at concourse A-my next flight left from concourse B. According to United it was a 22 minute transfer - I had 20 minutes and I can no longer run or even walk really fast. Started to walk and fortunately one of electric carts came by. He gave me a ride and I just barely made it.- was about last person to board. He earned a good tip.

Denver to Baltimore/Washington. Smooth flight. Full. Few masks ( I wore one in all airports and flights). Arrival on time. Luggage also arrived but without any tags - even destination tag. I identified it and the woman took my word. No proof. I walked off with bag - my niece picked me up.

Visit with Sister. She is doing fairly well but is having increasing trouble with eye-sight. She does worry about growing old (who doesn"t?). She is very limited in her driving and I think she should not be driving at all. My niece agrees... my nephew doesn't. Ate well... crab cakes and oysters. I am going to have to talk to my nephew - I think he really does not really understand how growing older changes a person. And he tends to be a bit tight with money so he nags his Mom on expenditures. She is careful with money but she does need to do some house repairs for her comfort but is reluctant to do them since he will fuss. When her husband was alive he made all decisions, so she is not used to not deferring to other's opinion.

Return trip - Baltimore/Washington to Denver on Saturday. Airport was pretty empty. Flight on time and arrival into Denver was ok. I had asked for transfer assistance in Denver since flights to Durango can leave from either concourse A or B. My arrival was B55. My departure was B56. Ok... no help required. There was one obnoxious man on the flight who kept requesting additional alcohol. The flight attendant was very good at settling him down and when he realized he was getting the stink eye from everyone around him he did stop fussing about "silly rules".

Denver to Durango. Rough, rough, rough. Storm was coming in. We were told to stay buckled up and not to get up for any reason. Wild ride over the Rockies but we arrived in Durango only a little late. I picked up luggage, located car in the overflow parking lot, stopped at the grocery store on my way home and staggered through the door at 10pm. Still need to finish unpacking. Today is cold, rain and a few snow showers.

Not an exciting trip, but I am glad I did it.

My most positive thoughts to all who need them.

Susan

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Home again.....and glad to be here. I have tried to keep up with the Boards, but haven't always been able to. Will have to look back when I get a chance. Picked up the dogs this morning and they are really glad to be home, especially the Chihuahua who raced madly around the house. I am afraid he thought he was being rehomed again.

Quick summary to the week - with more information than you probably really want to know.

Durango to Denver. Left the condo at 5:30... it was dark. Plane left Durango 45 minutes late as it needed deicing. Smooth flight. Arrival in Denver at concourse A-my next flight left from concourse B. According to United it was a 22 minute transfer - I had 20 minutes and I can no longer run or even walk really fast. Started to walk and fortunately one of electric carts came by. He gave me a ride and I just barely made it.- was about last person to board. He earned a good tip.

Denver to Baltimore/Washington. Smooth flight. Full. Few masks ( I wore one in all airports and flights). Arrival on time. Luggage also arrived but without any tags - even destination tag. I identified it and the woman took my word. No proof. I walked off with bag - my niece picked me up.

Visit with Sister. She is doing fairly well but is having increasing trouble with eye-sight. She does worry about growing old (who doesn"t?). She is very limited in her driving and I think she should not be driving at all. My niece agrees... my nephew doesn't. Ate well... crab cakes and oysters. I am going to have to talk to my nephew - I think he really does not really understand how growing older changes a person. And he tends to be a bit tight with money so he nags his Mom on expenditures. She is careful with money but she does need to do some house repairs for her comfort but is reluctant to do them since he will fuss. When her husband was alive he made all decisions, so she is not used to not deferring to other's opinion.

Return trip - Baltimore/Washington to Denver on Saturday. Airport was pretty empty. Flight on time and arrival into Denver was ok. I had asked for transfer assistance in Denver since flights to Durango can leave from either concourse A or B. My arrival was B55. My departure was B56. Ok... no help required. There was one obnoxious man on the flight who kept requesting additional alcohol. The flight attendant was very good at settling him down and when he realized he was getting the stink eye from everyone around him he did stop fussing about "silly rules".

Denver to Durango. Rough, rough, rough. Storm was coming in. We were told to stay buckled up and not to get up for any reason. Wild ride over the Rockies but we arrived in Durango only a little late. I picked up luggage, located car in the overflow parking lot, stopped at the grocery store on my way home and staggered through the door at 10pm. Still need to finish unpacking. Today is cold, rain and a few snow showers.

Susan

I'm glad you got the chance to visit with your DS even though it's not an easy trip there and back.  Yes, your nephew needs to be talked to about his viewpoints on his aging mother.  Welcome home!

34 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I tested negative today and I am feeling good. DW is feeling better, but won’t be tested again by ship staff because we disembark prior to her five days of isolation. 

Great news that you're negative now and your wife is feeling better.   I hope you have an uneventful trip home once you disembark.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I taught a Hebrew class for adults this morning, then went to the grocery store, had lunch, and napped with the Junior Cat. I slept very soundly and when she woke me at 2:30 I thought it was 2:30 AM. Now I'm baking sweet potatoes for a version of the stuffed sweet potatoes we had in the Daily not very long ago. Radicchio salad with it.

I'm still planning the visit to Canyonlands and Arches in the spring. There is no shuttle required or  offered at those parks, but this year Arches had timed tickets for most of the season. Bryce Canyon and Zion, which I don't plan to visit in the same trip, have shuttles -- optional but recommended at Bryce Canyon for hikers who would park all day at a trailhead, and required at Zion on the Scenic Drive. Zion and Bryce are too far from Moab to visit from there, and I don't imagine making this a long enough trip to shift base.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I taught a Hebrew class for adults this morning, then went to the grocery store, had lunch, and napped with the Junior Cat. I slept very soundly and when she woke me at 2:30 I thought it was 2:30 AM. Now I'm baking sweet potatoes for a version of the stuffed sweet potatoes we had in the Daily not very long ago. Radicchio salad with it.

I'm still planning the visit to Canyonlands and Arches in the spring. There is no shuttle required or  offered at those parks, but this year Arches had timed tickets for most of the season. Bryce Canyon and Zion, which I don't plan to visit in the same trip, have shuttles -- optional but recommended at Bryce Canyon for hikers who would park all day at a trailhead, and required at Zion on the Scenic Drive. Zion and Bryce are too far from Moab to visit from there, and I don't imagine making this a long enough trip to shift base.

Have a great trip. That's a spectacular part of the country.

• Like 7

Good afternoon from the Noordam in Bora Bora

Just got back on board after a really nice day . We are not leaving here until 11pm and tomorrow is Raitea. I have an early excursion. We were told to wear masks today while ashore., we were all suppose to be tested again but it was cancelled. Most passengers complied with the masking. 
Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser you and DH are in my thoughts and prayers. Praying for a very successful outcome. You have our support. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  It’s going to be a cooler day and rain is on the way.  After a quick run to Aldi I’ll stay home.  Yesterday I washed a few more windows as I prepare for winter.  I asked DH to put away a container of ties and that made him look at his clothes closer.  He now has two bags of clothes to donate.  @0106 thank you for the pictures and recipes, the second one looks very appealing.  It was nice watching a sail away from Port Everglades and the toots were wonderful.  Looking forward to hearing them live again.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.6da16230529cb5aafbf6d06a90de1c24.png

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha to my CC family!

Hello!! I am still here! Just very busy but I do try to read the Daily!!

Mahalo to all! We are at our home in Maui!

Denise☺️

• Like 14

10 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

After the events of the past week,  DH will have in patient PT, then go to a long term facility for more PT and to rebuild his strength.  The surgeon wants him to be able to function fully before coming home.

@Quartzsite Cruiser 🙏Prayers for you and DH tomorrow and in all his healing days ahead.🙏

-Melisa

• Like 8

Good evening after a long day.  Tomorrow will start early so DH can have the second shower withnthe antibiotic soap before DDand DSIL leave about 8.  We are so lucky they could be here to help the last few days.  

10 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser  I think the longer someone can stay in a hospital that will work with them to get well, is so much better than sending them home, thinking that it is easier there.  It is not.  It is not easier on them or the caregiver.  I'm hoping that you can get some good rest yourself, and that your DH gets all the PT he can.

I have tried calling Shari several times this week.  I get the answering machine, it allows for messages, but I have left several and no one has called back.  I guess I will email Barbara later today to see if she knows anything.  Jesse started the chemo, and did show up for the Proton Radiation, but the machine was out of service, have not heard from his wife since.  

My MIL , I am told,  is besties with DH's first wife.  She does love me, for being DH's caregiver all these years, through the cancer and all the surgeries attached to that, the heart attack, the head fractures, the lung surgery, etc, but I have only met her twice.  And I am more an after thought,  Chuck's brothers have been with their partners/spouses for more than 40 years.  I've only been part of their lives the last 22, and have only been with the family two times.  For a long time I couldn't get DH to talk with his step mom, or even think about calling his brothers.  Now he calls mom every Sunday.  We talk with his step brother (really brother as they grew up together) every three weeks, and the other brother?  Well, he did a walk about with his partner, tried to get as much money from mom as he could, tried to move in with his partners son, well if ever there were two sponges in the world, it would be those two.  But the family got wise, and have sort of disconnected from them.

And speaking of disconnected, my niece responded to one of my Jackie Lawson cards.  I have not heard from her since the pandemic started.  She has a beau, she's moved to Austin, she's in love,  and she turned into a beautiful young woman (she sent me pics).  No news of my brother or nephew, but I don't really expect any.  It wa just nice to hear from her after such a long time.

I have often considered that we lose (in general) the older people in our lives, when we are young, our parents when we are grown,  our friends and spouses when we get old.  And each time we lose someone, we grow a bit more in our hearts to be able to feel empathy for others who are going through what we have gone through.  I talk with elderly people all day (face it, older people were the ones who invested in the arts for years) it makes me so sad to hear that they wont go anywhere anymore because they have lost someone.  I worry that they will lose themselves by being by themselves.  Love life!

Annie, thank you for supporting the idea of long term PT.  The surgeons staff now realizes this should have happen after the first procedure.  I'm going to try to get some rest and catch up on some neglected chores.  It actually felt good to mow the yard yesterday.

9 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon from Fort Lauderdale airport. We will be boarding our flight in about two hours for home. 

My MIL was very sweet to me but we lived far apart so didn’t have much time together. My DM, Craig’s MIL, has been close but the two of them aren’t close. He’s supported her but she’s kept him at a distance. I think she has always thought no one could be good for my daughter. 

I absolutely love quesadillas and think we’ll have some when we get home but we’ll have to go shopping for ingredients. I like them extra crispy!

Jacqui @kazu , Condolences to you and your friend on their loss. Also, I never could get our boarding passes to load on the Navigator app and even called HAL and even emailed Navigator support. Nothing. So I went old school and just used our paper boarding passes.  All was fine. 

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, wishing good thoughts to you and your DH on his surgery tomorrow. 

Not sure what we’ll do for the next few hours but we are at the airport and that’s a good thing. 

Have a great day everyone!

Thank you, Sharon, for the good wishes. .

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Interesting days. I don't have a MIL. Never had Mole (sauce) but don't like moles (animals) digging in my yard, and never heard of chemistry mole day. I don't watch TV talk shows. Good quote.

I like quesadillas, but never made one myself. Pass on the drink and wine. I like Roy's meal.

I have not been to Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt. I had some coworkers from Egypt, and even they acknowledged politics made it difficult to visit.

It's a lovely day here, 70F and sunny, after a chilly start. Of course lost on me, as I'm inside doing my GI prep. I also need to try to unjam paper from my ancient HP laserjet printer. So far the knee is eh, but I know the gel injections take a while to work.

@aliaschief Thanks for the photos from your river cruise.

@ShipsAreTheBest Welcome to the Fleet Report/Daily!

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr. David's sermon. 

@msmayor I'm sure you enjoyed having Lana and her parents there, as well as Dean.

@kazu Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend's brother. 

@StLouisCruisers How exciting for Ren and Colton to get to play with that older team; great experience. And to get to see DD as well!

@smitty34877 Wishing you all some peace and repose from all you are going through.

@kochleffel Sorry to hear you were ill and couldn't attend Fran's memorial service. That seems strange of the pastor to speak like that. I hope you are feeling better.

@HAL4NOW I hope you and DW are feeling ok.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Prayers for DH's surgery tomorrow, his medical team and your travel to the hospital.

@Sharon in AZ Safe travels home. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone. 

Thank you, Vanessa.

6 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Susan

Welcome home.  It's always hard to come to grips with fact one's parents are growing old.  I hope you can get your nephew to accept the facts.

5 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I tested negative today and I am feeling good. DW is feeling better, but won’t be tested again by ship staff because we disembark prior to her five days of isolation. 

I'm glad you are testing negative and that your DW is feeling better.

2 hours ago, superoma said:

@Quartzsite Cruisersafe travels tomorrow. Will keep your dh and his medical team in prayers.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Prayers will indeed be with you tomorrow @Quartzsite CruiserLenda.

With you, your DH, and his medical team.  You’ve been so supportive to the group here.  Pulling for you now that you have challenges of your own.

Thank you.  Your kind words mean a lot to me.

55 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good afternoon from the Noordam in Bora Bora

Just got back on board after a really nice day . We are not leaving here until 11pm and tomorrow is Raitea. I have an early excursion. We were told to wear masks today while ashore., we were all suppose to be tested again but it was cancelled. Most passengers complied with the masking. 
Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser you and DH are in my thoughts and prayers. Praying for a very successful outcome. You have our support. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

Thank you, Charlene.  Ii wish we were with you in Bora Bora and Raitea.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha to my CC family!

Hello!! I am still here! Just very busy but I do try to read the Daily!!

Mahalo to all! We are at our home in Maui!

Denise☺️

Hey Sis. I miss you so much. I wish I could have visited with you and David when we were your neighbors in Maui in July.. love you sweet sister mine!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hey Sis. I miss you so much. I wish I could have visited with you and David when we were your neighbors in Maui in July.. love you sweet sister mine!

❤️O my goodness!!! Love you too sweet sis! 
life is soooo busy right now! Shawn is wonderful

and little a paisley is our love as you know! Healthy 13 year old cocker!  Will be home for Thanksgiving and then several cruises 4 till March!  Love to you and Allen! God bless you both and am happy for so many on CC! Happy that Jacqui Kazu is sailing!

❤️ Denise

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

@Quartzsite CruiserThinking positive thoughts for you and DH tomorrow.

Susan

Thank you, Susan.

33 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda you and your sweet husband have been on my mind all day. I pray for a successful surgery tomorrow. Please keep us updated. We really do hope for the best results! Love from your fellow Texan's!

Thank you so much, Joy.  I'll try to update all about the surgery, which should begin around 1 pm.  

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thank you, Susan.

Thank you so much, Joy.  I'll try to update all about the surgery, which should begin around 1 pm.  

Lenda

Sending you both our prayers 🙏 Lenda.

Best wishes.

Graham. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1