richwmn

Watermelon Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Pinnacle® Original Vodka
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Watermelon Schnapps
1 splash Lime Juice
Garnish: Watermelon Slice

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with a slice of watermelon.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 8.48.55 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 9

54 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I think a lot of onboard experiences depends on one's attitude.   The staff are great and doing their best to keep everyone happy.   The internet is poor, we have a repeater in our cabin and it's still a challenge.   The food is good but the selection is mostly the same from day to day, even the distant lands section.  Tamarind is, as usual,  the best spot for dinner.  All the main stage shows are reruns.  If you sailed since the restart you probably saw them.

Halfway through and we are having a relaxing cruise.  We are most thrilled to be going to San Juan again, our favorite port.

Agree with everything except we have never been to Tamarind to comment.

The staff was great, internet and TV signal both really bad. Also agree on food. Suzi said between lunch and dinner pork butt was offered at least 6 times.  We went to all three of the comedian "Orlando" shows and thought he was very funny.

We showed up a little later than our scheduled (11 am) embarkation hoping to avoid the initial onslaught of people arriving early.  We were told Neptune Suite guests no longer receive priority embarkation and were told to go to the end of the line. On our last NA cruise (11/2021), this entire process took about 10 minutes. On this cruise, it was almost 90 minutes.  Suzi and my sister both were very unhappy standing outside as both have knee issues and no place to sit except on the concrete.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 10

Good morning. It’s a brisk 38 degrees this morning here in North West, Florida which made for a good night’s sleep and a late wake up. The new air purifier seems to be helping with my allergies. Have been to today’s port of call and with effort kissed the Blarney Stone. Eight years later I don’t think I would or could. Today’s quote seems just the opposite as these days we tear down monuments that we used to revere! 
Today is get the laundry done and start packing for our trip out West. Shouldn’t need to bring much as we have available laundry at both places. 
Thanks for the Fleet Report and to all who contribute.

Have a great week.

Bruce

• Like 27

16 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Agree with everything except we have never been to Tamarind to comment.

The staff was great, internet and TV signal both really bad. Also agree on food. Suzi said between lunch and dinner pork butt was offered at least 6 times.  We went to all three of the comedian "Orlando" shows and thought he was very funny.

We showed up a little later than our scheduled (11 am) embarkation hoping to avoid the initial onslaught of people arriving early.  We were told Neptune Suite guests no longer receive priority embarkation and were told to go to the end of the line. On our last NA cruise (11/2021), this entire process took about 10 minutes. On this cruise, it was almost 90 minutes.  Suzi and my sister both were very unhappy standing outside as both have knee issues and no place to sit except on the concrete.  

We arrived by 10:30. At that time there was priority boarding for Neptune's and 4* & 5*.  If I had your experience I'd be complaining loudly.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning fellow Daily-ites.. brrr a chilly breezy morning. Rain in the forecast. 🌧 

Last night we played bingo with friends.  We didn't win any money but the Knights of Columbus run the games and they've contributed a lot of money to charity. And we had fun.

Tonight is Game Night at our house. We normally have 10 to 12. I'm making a spaghetti casserole and dessert. Others bringing apps and salads.  And wine. (I did that for Gerry)

I'm sorry some of our Daily cruisers have less than stellar experiences onboard. Everyone comes back with different feelings sometimes. 

image.png.1206cc7553784df35fde119eafb9b682.png

Wishing everyone a blessed week. Prayers and Cheers. 

• Like 26

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich. I love all of today's days, and my local BSA girls troop has a girl about to advance Wednesday.  I think there's a lot of sad truth to the Klein quote.  Cobh was my first modern HAL port in 2010 after an absence of 10 years, on a Rotterdam transatlantic. The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Pasta Genovese, and Pistachio Gelato. as served in Eurodam's Canaletto last nght:

dishes13.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP firefighter Andy
Kazu severe foot injury
Ottahand7 Brother in rehab
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy and new blood clot
Mister67 persistent hand injury
Terri’s next door neighbor with stroke and complications
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and poor attitude
Luvteaching DH recovering from fall and facing dimentia
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

My new socks
Quartzite Cruiser feeling to start coming back (progress while painful
Ichiban Nekko settling into new house
Sandi’s neighbor Linda well enough to receive visitors
Work about to start on Cruisin Terri’s house
6 days for Cruise Suzy, Lazey1, and HAL Lover (Rotterdam 11/20 to 11/30)
5 days for StLouisCruisers and Summer Slope (Volendam 11/19 to 12/17)
5 days for Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam 11/19 to 1/14/23)
CrazyForCats and segarsmoker (Nieuw Amsterdam to 11/13), Norseh2o (Sirena to 11/18),   Kazu , 0106, jimgev, Heartgrove and ger_77 (Oosterdam 11/5 to 11/19).  RednckBob (Beyond  to 11/20) and me (Eurodam to 11/20) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Special prayers and extra hugs to @HAL Sailer @smitty34877 @Quartzsite Cruiser.  Wishing you peace and comfort as you work through the challenges you and your loved ones are facing.  🌷

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Mac and Cheese has enough starch as it is.  I tend to not eat it as it brings back memories of penny pinching meals in college.  It was great back then because I could get 4 boxes of the stuff for $5.  Of course, I made it with water as I didn't want to spring for the butter and milk.  I swore when I was making enough money to be able to afford better that I would never eat mac and cheese again. 

Back when I was a very young newlywed, in a new Province far away from family, I was learning to make ends meet on my husband’s minuscule military salary and what I could bring in from the only job I could find on base.  Kraft Dinner/Mac & Cheese went on sale for 10¢ a box, so I bought a case of them.  Oh boy.  I  can completely relate to your never wanting to eat Mac and cheese again.  🤢  I never did eat KD again but I do like Stouffer’s Mac & Cheese every now and then…. but only many years later.

9 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

We were told Neptune Suite guests no longer receive priority embarkation and were told to go to the end of the line. 

😮 This is a real shocker if it’s true and not an invention by the terminal worker.

I guess I wasn’t quick enough with plugging in the bird bath because it was frozen solid this morning.  I did get a bit of a chuckle from the ones who were walking on it trying to figure out how to get to the wet stuff.  I have lots of work to do today so I’d better get started.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We arrived by 10:30. At that time there was priority boarding for Neptune's and 4* & 5*.  If I had your experience I'd be complaining loudly.

I spoke with the concierge that afternoon before the ship sailed. She said several people had already spoken with her about having a similar experience with only a time variance of around an hour to go through embarkation.  

• Like 15

Good morning all.  I survived my first Chili Cook off. There were chilly temperatures, and news reporters with cameras, power outages and tons of people. But even with three professional chefs competing my son won twice. He got best for Carnivores and Best of Show. I was so proud. 

chili5.jpg

chili1.jpg

chili3.jpg

Edited by lindaler
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.

Thought I would post while i have a few minutes

We will head over to our house to continue to pack things up.  Not a job I am enjoying.

Thank you for the prayers for our neighbor.  She remains hospitalized with lots of tests.  Don’t know how long she will be there.  I do know from her husband that she has two different infections that they are trying to clear up.  She has been in a wheelchair for many years due to a massive stroke. Cannot do anything for herself.  She did not need another. Will update if I learn more today.

Just as I suspected, but hoped it would not happen, my Polymyalgia Rheumatica flared up again right after I received the latest Covid booster.  So I have to start another regimen of Prednisone.  I had just weaned myself off of it and now it is back to square one.  Last night was awful with very painful arms and shoulders, keeping me awake for most of the night.  Hopefully the meds will kick in soon and make me more comfortable.

We are working hard at the house trying to meet the deadline of Thanksgiving to get everything packed.  Lots to do.

Will try to post later tonight when we are back at the apartment.

Take care and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning everyone.

Thought I would post while i have a few minutes

We will head over to our house to continue to pack things up.  Not a job I am enjoying.

Thank you for the prayers for our neighbor.  She remains hospitalized with lots of tests.  Don’t know how long she will be there.  I do know from her husband that she has two different infections that they are trying to clear up.  She has been in a wheelchair for many years due to a massive stroke. Cannot do anything for herself.  She did not need another. Will update if I learn more today.

Just as I suspected, but hoped it would not happen, my Polymyalgia Rheumatica flared up again right after I received the latest Covid booster.  So I have to start another regimen of Prednisone.  I had just weaned myself off of it and now it is back to square one.  Last night was awful with very painful arms and shoulders, keeping me awake for most of the night.  Hopefully the meds will kick in soon and make me more comfortable.

We are working hard at the house trying to meet the deadline of Thanksgiving to get everything packed.  Lots to do.

Will try to post later tonight when we are back at the apartment.

Take care and God Bless,

Terri

I hope you feel better soon Terri.I am so sorry to hear about your neighbor.

• Like 14

Good morning. We got an unscheduled light snow last night. And ice!!! Dogs and I walked very carefully and they were happy to come in. I did manage to wrestle Monty into his coat. We will go out later after the melt which may be awhile.... it is only 17 right now.

I might actually like today's meal, but don't think I will make it. Tonight will be salmon and veggies.

Off to the wars at the shelter.  May can not come soon enough. The animals are wonderful... our BOD not so much.

Susan

• Like 19

Good morning all!

Another heavy frost this morning, but clear.  A crisp 33 F heading for 48.  We're enjoying this dry stretch!

I come from a family of 3 sisters, so I salute Girls' Day and Children's Day.  Will pass on the pickles, meal, drink and red wine though.  Never have been a fan of Mac & Cheese, and Sweet Potatoes with Mac & Cheese?  Just no...

We've been to Cobh twice, in 2014 on the Eurodam British Isles cruise,  and in 2019 on our 50th anniversary cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.  In 2014 we took the train to Cork and went to Blarney Castle.  In 2019 our Captain was Noel O'Driscoll (who was our Captain on the NS again last month).  This is (near?) his home and the whole town came out to cheer the arrival of the ship!  On that visit we took the ferry out to Spike Island, or as our guide calls it, the "Irish Alcatraz".

Melissa @HAL SailerI'm sorry to hear your DH's confusion is worse with your change in location.  

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruisersorry about your DH's pain -- I hope it's short-lived.

Terry @smitty34877I hope the new aide will be a big help, I'm sorry you aren't doing well right now.

Linda @lindalerCongratulations to your son winning twice even against professional chefs!  

Some photos of our visit to Spike Island, the "Irish Alcatraz"

Entering the prison grounds

295789020_EnteringprisonSpikeIsland.jpg.61af7da006e9f921a1c67bdcbe432bee.jpg

Cell Block A, burnt in the 1985 riots.

456674994_CellBlockAburntin1985riots.jpg.12085b1d838ff4e0e4c0ac7c1342b250.jpg

The punishment block from the 1850's

851194382_PunishmentBlock1850s.jpg.a0c7e098287047021bd0a6fc2dd506d3.jpg

Solitary confinement cell

1965091906_solitaryconfinement.jpg.0bfb077bac98ecc10b4425cbf10a3472.jpg

View of our ship and Cobh from Spike Island

192407738_ourshipseenfromSpikeIsland.jpg.c61eed5832624b72345ba61ea30260cc.jpg

Love the colorful streets of Cobh

1719656019_Cobhstreet.jpg.11231d7950e290f1416e458386a3ac1d.jpg

342485967_Cobhchurch.jpg.f32129838a783aba43df95bb31b09626.jpg

These houses in the background going uphill are called The Deck of Cards.

412908855_DeckofcardshousesinCobh.thumb.jpg.b31e45518a56acb66f223cb96ff25f06.jpg

And a few of Blarney Castle from our visit in 2014.  We did not choose to kiss the stone 😉  

Blarney.thumb.jpg.1dda599e6a127c0e4efdbfe6e1b31d5e.jpg

1453762476_BlarneyCastle.jpg.9117e63027b1e3c10849f4c95af45537.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll salute Girls and Children. I like dill pickles. It's also World Diabetes Day - so many are affected.

Strange quote. The meal sounds interesting (sans potatoes), but carby. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine (but too $$$).

I haven't been to Cobh, or anywhere in Ireland.

Brrr. It's cold with flurries. It was 33F, now up to 38F! Another bad night last night due to my stomach issues and neuropathy. I need to call GI and the neurologist.

@seagarsmoker Welcome home. Sorry to hear of the embarkation issues.

@grapau27 Thanks for the pictures from Cobh.

@Crazy For Cats Nice photo. Too bad the turnaround was discombobulated.

@smitty34877 I hope the new aide for Tana works out, and that you feel better soon too.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Sorry to hear of Steve having pain, but I hope it only means nerves are healing.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos.

@HAL Sailer Unfortunate to hear the effect of travel on DH; I went through that with my Mother. And I understand the effect on you as well.

@MISTER 67 Good luck with the hand surgeon tomorrow.

@marshhawk I hope the vet is able to help Irving. Unfortunate about the contract going backwards.

@rafinmd Thank you for our lists. And congrats on finding socks!

@lindaler Congrats to your son on his Chili wins!

@Cruzin Terri Continued prayers for your neighbor. Sorry to hear your PMR flared up and that you have to restart the Prednisone; hopefully a shorter course this time. Good luck with the packing.

@Cruising-along Lovely photos. Cool about Captain O'Driscoll's reception.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 9

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Meal Suggestion for today - Shortcut Mac 'n' Cheese with Crispy Bacon and Sweet Potatoes

That certainly sounds pretty good.

I would, however, make these adjustments

• Hold the Sweet Potatoes
  • Hold the Cheese
  • Hold the Macaroni

🤣🤣🤣

I do have a T-Shirt that says "Fueled by Bacon."

• Like 6
  • Haha 16

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today’s care list:

HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy and new blood clot

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

My new socks

@rafinmd 

Today's Care List

Roy, please consider moving my DSIL to the Rotation list. Her  cancer therapy will be ongoing and her health issues will be with her the rest of her days.

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Considering the source of your new socks, I think we all need to see pictures! Do they say I ♥️ ARUBA?

-Melisa 

• Like 15
  • Haha 8

Good morning and thanks all!   Have enjoyed Cork years ago, before digital, lol! 
Sending gentle hugs and care to @HAL Sailer@smitty34877 @Quartzsite Cruiser@MISTER 67

our neighbour who had the stoke is back in hospital with a brain bleed, so needing prayers as well.

We’re so fortunate to see some lovely creatures, although for the first time we were stopped by conservation officers as there had been some poachers.  We only hunt with a camera and saw this lovely short eared owl and it’s mate. 

F2901A72-448C-4B99-9452-B1D75F987F74.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

Thank you for the daily reports.

Interesting days and food.

I don't like the quote.

We visited Cobh on Independence of the seas.

Wishing everyone a lovely day and good health.

Graham.

IMG_20180531_114146.jpg

IMG_20180531_094853.jpg

Good photos of you two but the gal next to Graham looks like her Visa card was declined.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Brr!  33F this morning but sunny and a high of 55F expected.  Before we leave this week DH has to sign up with our new insurance company.  He would have done it last week but due to Nicole passing by the insurance companies stop issuing new policies until the storm is over with.  Then we have to sign up for a new Medicare Supplement plan and I'm glad to be DONE with this year's plan.  We only changed because our hospital wasn't playing nicely with our previous company and they had an impasse.  Hopefully 2023 will be a good year and we won't need a hospital anyway.  Still waiting and praying our absentee ballots arrive in the mail before Thursday so we can vote in the Dec. 6 runoff.  I have a feeling it's not gonna happen!

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily.  Love the girls and children days and they really do go together.  I like pickles.  I have to agree with @MISTER 67 , why sweet potato in our mac & cheese with bacon?  The quote is a bit uncomfortable.  After they build the monuments then years down the line some group demands they be torn down!  😕

Prayers for our Care list today and cheers for the celebration list.  I was outside yesterday chatting with next door neighbor Brenda (socially distanced because of my test this Wednesday) when our neighbor up the street drove by and stopped, rolled down the window and said hello.  She is the wife of the gentleman who died last Sunday at home from multiple myeloma.  We offered her our deepest sympathy and agreed he wouldn't have wanted to linger with his severe pain.  It was nice to see her and we of course advised she take care of herself during this time of grief.  She promised she would.

Jake @Crazy For CatsI love the photo!  Thanks for showing us.  Sorry yesterday was such a mess at turnaround.  Hope everyone gets their act together this coming Saturday!  Terry @smitty34877I'm sorry to hear you are not at your best right now.  And I know that affects the household and your care of Tana.  Hope the aide is a good one.  Hugs to you!  And Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserI'm sorry I haven't read yesterday's end of day Daily so I hadn't heard of the pain problem for Steve.  I hope things will work out better today for you both!  Hugs to you too!

Our destination today is Cobh (Cork), Ireland and we last saw it on Oct. 17, 2021.  The link to that date will be posted below.

We visited Cobh in 2015 on Royal Princess.  Not only did we enjoy seeing Cobh, which is a lovely town, we also went to Blarney Castle and had a great time there as well.  My best remembrance of Cobh is a purchase I made there.  A sterling silver Celtic knot pendant and neck chain.  The finish on the pendant was so smooth and well done.  I love wearing it.  

My photos of our visits to Cobh and Blarney Castle.

A view of the Lusitania memorial only with wreaths laid.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIu-883K1Gvk062Y3n2spWm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189596

Cobh is a hilly place and I liked this view of the houses side by side down the hillside.  Many different colors (to help you find your own home after a trip to the pub?).00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLqVuzpCM7nMqdaEhAlezQZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189603

While walking past those homes we saw this little dog watching us from "their" window.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIRgQUU9Ji8wVFqCFOVLTlg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435194539

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOz76XV2-7nXgDMuz1Hbmh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189588

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6d5XSPdTFL7_8MHjg526K?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189600

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHrG2BAYU60V60PpUqQNhx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189584

Annie Moore statue00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIj5VDQyJeZgICS6iZPzriY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189572

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIqvXvCfQFQcYu-NNtf9yWp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435189573

In viewing our pictures I see we were in Cobh twice on back to back cruises on Royal Princess.  The first cruise was a spring 2015 transatlantic cruise and on that one we spent our stop that day visiting Blarney Castle.  The second cruise was a British Isles cruise and that is the day we spent in town exploring.  I knew I'd been to Blarney Castle.  We enjoyed these two cruises with our friends from Myrtle Beach whom we met in 2008 getting on our first transatlantic.  Great couple!

A nice view of Blarney castle and someone who decided to kiss the Blarney stone.  Not an easy task!  Our group passed on it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKGhEv0ZVmG6ICqid-eKqaw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187373

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJSZDKGF2fnTUDwzMZEsm-q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187429

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxe1AaHHnmow5mJLJg18rI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187445

The spot you kiss as seen from below.  Very top center.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6LLWs2r0FBQIgnq5YQ3_Z?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1435187389

Nice photos Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 4