The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 19th, 2023

richwmn

35 minutes ago, kazu said:

I called today to make my appointment and because I have the Fall and Spring boosters, I need to wait until mid October when the new booster will be here.  I explained I was going away and they said I should be fine since I have both.

Never thought of Paxlovid.  I have no medical conditions to be leery of other than my age and bad habits 😜. I feel your frustration, believe me.  I couldn’t get mine until after the 25th and didn’t realize I would have to wait.

Jacqui, you really might consider getting the Rx for Paxlovid.   I had full vaccine and many boosters, but still did catch covid back in December.  It took a long time for my lungs to clear out (about three months,) and then in March I started having leg pain that at times caused me to walk with a cane and caused many sleepless nights. Long story short, after a whole lot of tests, everyone seems to agree that it's covid-related.  Looking at reputable health websites, I guess this is something that does indeed happen.

I'm seeing improvement now, rather than getting worse, or probably wouldn't even talk about it.  (It's just all so weird.)  But when we travel in October, we are taking Paxlovid with us, just in case.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

Good afternoon everyone. I was very touched by the outpouring of support and love from this very special group.Forgive me for not thanking you all individually. I am having a hard time with things,as expected.My son is staying for a few days and helping so much. We are all so very sad but grateful we were with our Lou at home. Tana has had an especially rough time as they were very close.I just keep putting one foot in front of the other and try to remember the good things. He loved cruising and new adventures as much as his big heart loved all of us.Thank you again

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh the winner only gets 60 seconds of fame and a trophy picture. The trophy stays here!

That might work except I would have to dust it.

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good afternoon everyone. Thank you for the good wishes for Sam and the anniversary wishes. Sam had brain surgery yesterday to stop the brain bleed. It was successful and now the team is deciding if he goes to rehab or home. It’s been a very stressful month but hopefully things will start to improve soon.

What wonderful news!  He must have done very well if they have to decide between rehab and home.  Let's hope it is home.

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Lemon zest is an excellent substitute for lemongrass.  The recipes do look delicious.

I am Bowman Creeper Chumbucket.  Had to get that in before I forgot it.   Thanks for the tip on lemon zest.  Saves me a trip to Florida.  I know where I can find that!

4 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good afternoon everyone. I was very touched by the outpouring of support and love from this very special group.Forgive me for not thanking you all individually. I am having a hard time with things,as expected.My son is staying for a few days and helping so much. We are all so very sad but grateful we were with our Lou at home. Tana has had an especially rough time as they were very close.I just keep putting one foot in front of the other and try to remember the good things. He loved cruising and new adventures as much as his big heart loved all of us.Thank you again

Oh, Terry, I am tearing up just reading this.  Don't worry about thank  yous.  Just know we are thinking of you and holding  you close.  

• Like 23

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Lemon zest is an excellent substitute for lemongrass.  The recipes do look delicious.

Today I would like everyone to refer to me as Squidlips Bones Swashbuckler or I may have to make you walk the plank.IMG_7925.thumb.jpeg.4624d37c8bc84acc1ca945908baaa90d.jpeg

When my niece and I arrived at the port of Kahului, I rented a car with the intention of driving to Hana.  Although it was truly beautiful, the road to Hana was the narrowest, twistiest road I have ever driven.  Several times I had to back up because a large tour  bus took up the entire road.  We stopped at a beautiful scenic overlook to have a picnic lunch.  My niece admitted she was feeling a bit car sick and I was happy to turn around and return to the port.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Earlier, I forgot to add this.  I'm Buccaneer Patch O'Malley and DH is Mad Spike O'Malley.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Haha 7

41 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Jacqui, you really might consider getting the Rx for Paxlovid.   I had full vaccine and many boosters, but still did catch covid back in December.  It took a long time for my lungs to clear out (about three months,) and then in March I started having leg pain that at times caused me to walk with a cane and caused many sleepless nights. Long story short, after a whole lot of tests, everyone seems to agree that it's covid-related.  Looking at reputable health websites, I guess this is something that does indeed happen.

I'm seeing improvement now, rather than getting worse, or probably wouldn't even talk about it.  (It's just all so weird.)  But when we travel in October, we are taking Paxlovid with us, just in case.

Thanks so much.  I checked and it seems that we have to have symptoms to get it.  I may ask my pharmacist.  He’s a pretty good head and perhaps he can help.  Not sure about my doctor.  She’s new to me (my old one retired) and it takes forever to get an appointment.  

14 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Please, please don’t worry about thanking individually.  I had to go have my own little cry after you posted yesterday 💔 

I am SO glad you have your son with you for a bit.  It will help.  

Putting one foot in front of the other is all you can do right now and if you can do that right now, it is more than enough.

Please take care of yourself and know that we are all holding you close in our hearts ♥️ 

• Like 25

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

We are always here for you Terry so please take care.

I'm sorry we live so far apart and are unable to help you in person but you have our prayers and best wishes always.

Graham and Pauline xx

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

@0106What a find!  I am Miss Jack Silver, DH is Matey Bones Silver. I rather like them both!

@USN59-79 As my career was Human Resources, I have to apologize that you got sidetracked from your life on the far more interesting high seas. Note to self:  Don't raise hand. 

Regarding Covid boosters, since we hadn't had any booster since the early availability of Bivalent, we just got another of those. And hope we can call it good for our upcoming cruise. Our doctor did give us a round of Paxlovid to take along as insurance. 

@mamaofami So happy for your wonderful news!

Actually, it worked out well.  I changed my rating to electronics technician, eventually was promoted to Chief Warrant Officer, and qualified for Officer of the Deck for underway steaming on a Navy Repair Ship.  I spent many hours driving our ship up and down the coast of Vietnam as we had to go to sea every night to avoid swimmers with bombs.  Those were interesting high seas.

Not sure I want a pirate name that starts with "Miss".

Ray

• Like 15
  • Haha 8

Hello Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  I’m late to the party today.  We were woken up at midnight by the detectors.  Two of the breakers flipped off and one was the source of power for the detectors.  When I got into the office I called the electrician and they offered a 1:30 appointment to determine what went wrong.  After my morning meetings ended I went home.  Turns out two of the breakers went bad so they replaced them for a nice fee.  I happily paid the bill since I’d rather not face a worse fate.

DM is home and very happy to be there.  DS saw her on Sunday and let me know that she looks like her old self.

@smitty34877 my deepest sympathies and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

@dfish thanks for today’s recipes they look good to me.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day.

image.thumb.png.b94b7492667387f8446e817cb6c965a9.png

Edited by Crazy For Cats
More details
  • Like 20
  • Haha 6

I talked with my pulmonologist and he recommended that I wait another 3 weeks or so then get the flu vaccine, the RSV vaccine and the Covid vaccine.  All immunizations would be fully active and I would be over any potential side effects before my Thanksgiving cruise.

I took my Lucky cat to a new Vet today for an exam and immunizations. He said she was basically healthy but at 12lbs 1 oz a bit to fat. Very thorough exam and very personable doctor. I will take my Silky cat in next Monday.

For today you can call me Fluff Bucket Bones Holystone.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 24

Hi all

i have been following this thread for a while, and being a huge Talk Like a Pirate Day fan, thought that THIS is the day I finally posed the question that has been rolling around in my mind. (By the way, I am Deadman Creeper Swashbuckler)

actually, it’s several questions wrapped up in one…

How did this thread start - do all of you “core” people actually KNOW each other (ie meet onboard?   How did the “daily assignments “ (Days, quotes, food and drink, ports, care lists, etc) come about: did it just evolve into what it is or a conscious decision? 
how long has it been going?

it’s been very intriguing to me (first HAL trip was in Aug, so have been searching for info for a bit before that…. Still reading).  I hope you don’t feel like I am intruding into up your group.   Love looking forward to the daily lists (and @RedneckBob‘s daily levity).

just a curious question…

Good thoughts go out to all.😀🙏

ps… I will take the wine any day.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Hi all

i have been following this thread for a while, and being a huge Talk Like a Pirate Day fan, thought that THIS is the day I finally posed the question that has been rolling around in my mind. (By the way, I am Deadman Creeper Swashbuckler)

How did this thread start - do all of you “core” people actually KNOW each other (ie meet onboard?   How did the “daily assignments “ (Days, quotes, food and drink, ports, care lists, etc) come about: did it just evolve into what it is or a conscious decision? 

it’s been very intriguing to me (first HAL trip was in Aug, so have been searching for info for a bit before that…. Still reading).  I hope you don’t feel like I am intruding into up your group.   Love looking forward to the daily lists (and @RedneckBob‘s daily levity).

just a curious question…

Welcome aboard!  Very few of us have actually sailed together, and a number of us have never been on a HAL ship but we've become quite a close yet diverse group.

@richwmn started us off way back in 2019 with just a bare listing of the fleet locations,  It stayed that way for about a year until Covid hit and the ships were not going anywhere, and Rich added features one or 2 at a time until we ended up with a lot of categories.   When the meal, drink, and wine of the day people just started exploring information on them and @summer slope, @dfish and @cat shepard each ended up with backups when they go off on a cruise.

I started the care and celebration lists for a while but early this year was hospitalized and first @superoma took it over followed by @JazzyV.

We're a very diverse group, most of whom have never met, but we relish newcomers.

Roy

• Like 29

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Welcome aboard!  Very few of us have actually sailed together, and a number of us have never been on a HAL ship but we've become quite a close yet diverse group.

@richwmn started us off way back in 2019 with just a bare listing of the fleet locations,  It stayed that way for about a year until Covid hit and the ships were not going anywhere, and Rich added features one or 2 at a time until we ended up with a lot of categories.   When the meal, drink, and wine of the day people just started exploring information on them and @summer slope, @dfish and @cat shepard each ended up with backups when they go off on a cruise.

I started the care and celebration lists for a while but early this year was hospitalized and first @superoma took it over followed by @JazzyV.

We're a very diverse group, most of whom have never met, but we relish newcomers.

Roy

Thanks Roy for the shout out but I think @jazzyv took over the lists when you were sick and I filled in for her when she went on vacation. I posted some updates for you to the group while you were sick but the credit for taking on the task of the cares list needs to go to Vanessa. I appreciate her hard work.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Thanks!

it was initially the fleet positions that caught my eye (I have a fleet of ships that I watch nearly daily on MarineTraffic, so it was a good fit).

then I grew to love my daily dose of food, wine, cartoons, lists, and fun banter.   Port photos as well morning coffee photos are also a daily pleasure.

Hope you are feeling better these days (Covid, even if mild, can take a lot out of you!).  A little fresh salty air would be great medicine🙂

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

When I first started reading and posting on The Daily, as it was known then, I noticed that people were talking about this wonderful Tomato Pie that was the meal of the day.  Several had made it and they all wondered what recipe the other one used.  Wanting to contribute more than just what boring tasks I was completing each day, I started posting a recipe link for each meal.  That was early in 2021.  When I went on an Alaska cruise in September of 2021 @kazu Jacqui took over for me.  For a later cruise @0106 Tina took over.  Tina has become my go to person as the next time I needed coverage Jacqui had her hand full at home.  

What is nice about this thread is that it is a place where all can belong, not just the popular kids.  We've gotten to know each other through the information we've each shared, some more, some less and we have recognized the strengths and warm, loving characteristics each poster has. During the height of Covid, when no one was going out, it was a source of regular human contact for many of us.  During that time we laughed with each other, worried with each other, cried with each other, and held the hands of those who lost loved ones.  Since this thread some of us have cruised together and met each other.  Last fall was a repo cruise from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale and several of us regular posters were on that cruise.  It was so nice to meet in person the people we had come to know and care about on the thread.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, dfish said:

When I first started reading and posting on The Daily, as it was known then, I noticed that people were talking about this wonderful Tomato Pie that was the meal of the day.  Several had made it and they all wondered what recipe the other one used.  Wanting to contribute more than just what boring tasks I was completing each day, I started posting a recipe link for each meal.  That was early in 2021.  When I went on an Alaska cruise in September of 2021 @kazu Jacqui took over for me.  For a later cruise @0106 Tina took over.  Tina has become my go to person as the next time I needed coverage Jacqui had her hand full at home.  

What is nice about this thread is that it is a place where all can belong, not just the popular kids.  We've gotten to know each other through the information we've each shared, some more, some less and we have recognized the strengths and warm, loving characteristics each poster has. During the height of Covid, when no one was going out, it was a source of regular human contact for many of us.  During that time we laughed with each other, worried with each other, cried with each other, and held the hands of those who lost loved ones.  Since this thread some of us have cruised together and met each other.  Last fall was a repo cruise from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale and several of us regular posters were on that cruise.  It was so nice to meet in person the people we had come to know and care about on the thread.

Beautifully said Debbie. 

• Like 20

1 hour ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Hi all

just a curious question…

To be honest, credit for the concept of the Fleet Report (the original title) must go to Lisa @LAFFNVEGAS . She did a ship listing for many years. When she could no longer do it, another member continued it for a while and their source went away at the end of 2018. A couple of months later (Roy @rafinmd has the date) I found a place to get the itineraries from and posted it in case someone wanted to start it up again. A couple of days later I went ahead and posted that days list and have been doing so since.

As Roy mentioned, other things were added to get us thru the pandemic and have remained. Everyone chips in when needed, @kazu and @StLouisCruisers have taken on the task of posting when I can't, but the information is prepared in advance and is also available at halfacts.com/daily.

It has been a lot of fun over the years for me, and I hope everyone else.

Rich

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

Love looking forward to the daily lists

I was a bit late to this wonderful Daily party. My first post was 1/23/22 and my first sentence was, “I enjoy reading the Daily but have never posted.”  I was nervous because this group seemed to know each other very well; they were so supportive of each other, so positive, so caring.  To my surprise I received many “Welcome to the Daily” messages that day.  I immediately knew that this was an inclusive group of travelers. Now, I read the Daily with my morning coffee to start my day on a positive note. I don’t post every day; I’m not comfortable sharing many personal details; I don’t have many beautiful port pictures to contribute but when I feel I can make someone smile or  contribute some insight from my background as an English teacher, I post.  I love to cook and am happy to help with the meal of the day when @dfishis cruising.  I hope to see you posting here again @AroundWithMAPTravels

• Like 25

Hi all

just a curious question…

Welcome to the Daily 🙂 

this is not a clique of a small group - it started when Rich @richwmn when the old OP of the Fleet report resigned.  shortly after Rich took over, covid hit and he looked for a way to keep the Fleet report going without just saying the ships are going nowhere.  

It’s grown and developed depending on interests and the Daily - ites have grown with it.  It was probably the only uplifting thread during the height of covid and for that, many of us are grateful.  

I hope this will not be your last post here.  Everyone is welcome 🙂 

38 minutes ago, dfish said:

I think you just said it all ♥️ 

• Like 25