The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday October 2nd, 2023

richwmn

@Quartzsite CruiserJust got back on the computer. Lenda, I am sorry to hear that Steve is back in hospital. Positive thoughts and prayers on the way.

It finally has gotten around to raining. Fortunately dogs went out about 10 minutes ago and it does not look like it will last long.

Back to cleaning out the area below the sink in my 2nd bathroom. Lots to be tossed there.

Susan

• Like 13

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

My DH fell from his chair this afternoon.  I pulled him up into his chair and wrenched my back. 3 Aleve and a glass of wine... still killing me!!

I am so sorry to hear this Joy. Please get yourself seen as soon as possible. Do you have anyone who can help?

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My DH fell from his chair this afternoon.  I pulled him up into his chair and wrenched my back. 3 Aleve and a glass of wine... still killing me!!

Thinking of you!  Hope you feel better quickly.  

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh no Joy!  I hope you can get some relief from the pain somehow and get yourself seen tomorrow if it doesn't feel better.  Is Allen all right?

• Like 12

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

The thread that I'm questioning said that foreign hospitals never accept credit cards. This is a serious question: I really cannot cope with the idea of needing to carry many thousands of dollars in cash.

It all depends on the hospital - when DH was sent to hospital in Panama City, the overnight stay along with ambulance fees, CT scans, ECG's, etc., came to a whopping $10,000 which  of course we didn't have in our pockets, but were able to put on our credit card.  While there I visited another couple who were on their 3rd credit card of the stay and were hoping he would be discharged before their cards ran out.  Just our experience - hopefully you won't have to find out in person.

@Quartzsite Cruisersending prayers that your DH's blood pressure issues are just a small hiccup in his recovery process.

@Seasick SailorOh yikes, I'm sorry about your back - please make an appointment to get it checked out, otherwise you won't be able to help your sweet DH at all.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I wonder if it would be possible to google hospitals in Spain and see if they take credit cards.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Google turned up many, many sites about healthcare in Spain for expats and long-term visitors such as students, not that these were any help.

It also led me to a very interesting thread on a site for people walking the Camino de Santiago, the Way of St. James, in which several participants described their experiences. Several said they were given a bill, but the hospital or clinic would not accept any form of payment directly. They were supposed to pay through the Spanish banking system, either by taking the bill to a branch of the bank indicated by the IBAN (like routing number and account number in the U.S.), or using a transfer service such as wise.com.

One person reported that the bill (from France, not Spain) was mailed to him, weeks later, at home. Someone else mentioned that banks in Europe will charge a non-trivial fee to pay cash into an account that's not your own, so it's better to do it electronically, where fee would usually be less.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Joy @Seasick Sailor Yikes, I hope your back feels better soon and you don't have any damage.  Is your DH ok?

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser still praying.

We just got home from getting our RSV vaccines.  The pharmacist told us it can cause body aches and fatigue, I've taken some Tylenol to head it off.

I got some startling news today.  My friend who I was planning to meet for lunch on Wednesday has been in the hospital since Sept. 22!  She has kidney stones, an abscess on a kidney, and also found out she's diabetic.  Her glucose was 600 when she was admitted. 😞  They've gotten that more under control, but she has a long way to go.  They can't address the stones until the abscess is taken care of.  She's always been so healthy, this was quite a surprise. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8

So much going on here. Everyone with issues is in my prayers. I hesitate to list for fear of leaving someone out.

i booked appointments for our flu vaccine and a Covid booster. First available was Nov 17 so will just be careful until then. I asked about the RSV vaccine but not available with our doctor nor can I find anywhere near us giving it. I have a chronic cough, reason undetermined, and I really want to get this to be safe. Will continue to check.

we are having absolutely wonderful weather yesterday, today, tomorrow and Wednesday. This Wednesday will be our last Wise Women swimming group. The pool next door closes on Saturday. We go into winter mode on Wednesdays and play various board games or just enjoy each others company. Saturday the temps will drop significantly. Time for chilli , soup, stir fry’s, casseroles and things like that. This Wednesday we are making nachos, our last ode to summer.

Attached is a pic of my wise women group. Great bunch of ladies.

IMG_1666.jpeg

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oh, my gosh, Joy!   I think you need a trip to at least Urgent Care.  Is Allen ok?

25 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Joy @Seasick Sailor Yikes, I hope your back feels better soon and you don't have any damage.  Is your DH ok?

We just got home from getting our RSV vaccines.  The pharmacist told us it can cause body aches and fatigue, I've taken some Tylenol to head it off.

I got some startling news today.  My friend who I was planning to meet for lunch on Wednesday has been in the hospital since Sept. 22!  She has kidney stones, an abscess on a kidney, and also found out she's diabetic.  Her glucose was 600 when she was admitted. 😞  They've gotten that more under control, but she has a long way to go.  They can't address the stones until the abscess is taken care of.  She's always been so healthy, this was quite a surprise. 

Wow!  I'm glad they have the BG under control.  Kidney stones are the worst!  

I have something growing in my belly.  As I told my friend John the doctor, if I'm going to have a fat belly, I want it nice and round.  But, I've got a mountain peak growing and to make matters worse, it is off center.   John seems to think it could be a stich that came undone from my surgery in May or a hernia.  I did not have this mountain peak when I was on the cruise.  I do have an appointment with my doctor next week.  I'll let him earn his fee and figure it out.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

56 minutes ago, superoma said:

So much going on here. Everyone with issues is in my prayers. I hesitate to list for fear of leaving someone out.

i booked appointments for our flu vaccine and a Covid booster. First available was Nov 17 so will just be careful until then. I asked about the RSV vaccine but not available with our doctor nor can I find anywhere near us giving it. I have a chronic cough, reason undetermined, and I really want to get this to be safe. Will continue to check.

we are having absolutely wonderful weather yesterday, today, tomorrow and Wednesday. This Wednesday will be our last Wise Women swimming group. The pool next door closes on Saturday. We go into winter mode on Wednesdays and play various board games or just enjoy each others company. Saturday the temps will drop significantly. Time for chilli , soup, stir fry’s, casseroles and things like that. This Wednesday we are making nachos, our last ode to summer.

Attached is a pic of my wise women group. Great bunch of ladies.

IMG_1666.jpeg

Eva, I love the photo especially your buddy the canine with the ball in his mouth!  lol!  I have a chronic cough too, reason undetermined, and think I will ask about the RSV vaccine.  In my state you have to have a prescription to get it.

45 minutes ago, dfish said:

Oh, my gosh, Joy!   I think you need a trip to at least Urgent Care.  Is Allen ok?

I have something growing in my belly.  As I told my friend John the doctor, if I'm going to have a fat belly, I want it nice and round.  But, I've got a mountain peak growing and to make matters worse, it is off center.   John seems to think it could be a stich that came undone from my surgery in May or a hernia.  I did not have this mountain peak when I was on the cruise.  I do have an appointment with my doctor next week.  I'll let him earn his fee and figure it out.

Debbie, good to hear you have an appointment for your tummy lump.  You want to find out why and get something done for it.  Good luck, fingers crossed and prayers for you!

• Like 14

54 minutes ago, dfish said:

I, too, have a tummy lump with no diagnosis despite an ultrasound & a CT scan...oh well...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Late on Saturday, I hid some questions in the Daily. I would still welcome replies, so here they are, reposted.

I'm finishing up arrangements for Spain and the Spanish Farewell, and I have a question about the train in Spain. I'll be going from Madrid-Barajas airport to Atocha station on the Cercanias commuter rail, and from Madrid to Barcelona on the Iryo high-speed train. For those trips, and the Barcelona metro to my hotel, is the risk of theft enough that I should put locks on my luggage, to the extent that it's possible? Or does that only identify a bag that might contain something worth stealing? I'll also travel between Madrid and Toledo on the high-speed rail, but without luggage.

I was also thinking today about whether using laundry on the Oosterdam would allow packing lighter without having to do hand laundry in Madrid. I've concluded that it wouldn't, because of the number of days before boarding and the need to have something to wear until the laundry comes back. Unfortunately I'll have to take some things that I don't usually carry, such as a bluetooth keyboard.

And an unrelated question: In another forum, people were discussing paying for hospital care abroad. The thread contains some misinformation, such as the statement that no Medigap plan covers foreign treatment, which some plans (C and F that I know of) actually do. But the concerning part is the insistence that foreign hospitals require payment in cash, meaning currency, and won't take credit cards. It is hard for me to imagine traveling with thousands of dollars in cash.

I'm not able to comment from personal experience on #1 or #3, but have been watching w/interest to see what others might say as we spend some time in a few different Spanish ports on our upcoming TA.

As for the laundry, I am a huge fan and do pack less because I use it, but you seem to have already decided that it won't be of much value. I know some people send out a full load on Day 1 of their cruise to get everything done they wore prior to boarding. You might consider that and see if it helps reduce packing.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie, good to hear you have an appointment for your tummy lump.  You want to find out why and get something done for it.  Good luck, fingers crossed and prayers for you!

Oh, it is more than a lump!   It pushes my shirt out quite a ways.  And it has gotten bigger in the past week.  

2 hours ago, 57redbird said:

I, too, have a tummy lump with no diagnosis despite an ultrasound & a CT scan...oh well...

Oh, my.  When I push on mine I can feel a popping.  Kind of like it is going back where it belongs?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

As for the laundry, I am a huge fan and do pack less because I use it, but you seem to have already decided that it won't be of much value. I know some people send out a full load on Day 1 of their cruise to get everything done they wore prior to boarding. You might consider that and see if it helps reduce packing.

Oh, I fully intend to use shipboard laundry! It's just that, from the time I leave here until I board the ship is six days: flight to Spain, four days in Madrid, and then a day in Barcelona before embarkation.

• Like 4

@Quartzsite Cruiser Hoping this is just a step sideways and meds can be adjusted 🙏 for you both. Good you’re there with him. Walking the path together!  

@Seasick Sailor Hoping you feel better soon and DH is ok. 

@kochleffel Paul, not sure if my comments will help but here are some thoughts. We took a bus from airport to Barcelona, had our luggage with us. Thievery did not seem to be an issue except for pickpockets on Las Ramblas. re: hospital bills…my nephew was hit by a streetcar in Amsterdam and hospitalized 3 days, they billed him at home months later, not a lot.
Our annual travel insurance includes a benefit of money wire transfers.

Our credit cards are associated with an investment house from which we can electronically transfer money into accounts accessible by debit cards or credit cards or ACH transfers. We do not carry much cash, not over maybe several hundred dollars at most, divided between us for an extended trip of several weeks. Mostly we use credit cards and ATMs.  
These are important factors to consider for travel. Good for you for asking the questions. 
Maureen 

• Like 7

A late good evening from central Texas.  We were back home by 7:30, but it's taken this long to get the car unloaded, showers, supper, and a few chores.  Someone was looking out for me today.  The traffic going into Dallas was the best we've had in the last year or so, still not what I would like, but not nearly as nerve wracking.  We left during rush hour, but by taking a local street past the worst of the back ups, it wasn't that bad a drive. 

We went in because when DH called this morning about his very high blood pressure, they said call 911.  While the paramedics were here, the BP meds began working, finally.  Still they wanted to see him in the UTSW ER.  Once we were there, the doctor and the resident were not worried about the BP.  They both said that mainly the problem with high BP causing strokes was not a spike, but long term very high blood pressure.  They would be worried if it was 250+ over 150+, which it wasn't.  The doctors still wanted to make sure there was not problem in the brain like a bleed.  According to the resident the CT scan showed no damage and that the ventricles were now normal size.  So the shunt is working.  They also took a chest x-ray which was clear and one that followed the shunt tubing from his head to his abdomen, and that was good.  Of course, there were a lot of blood tests, which were done three times at certain intervals.   When DH walked out of the ER, he was walking very well, but after the car ride, not so well.  The ride on our not so smooth roads shook his head and made him dizzy.  It didn't help that neither of us had anything to eat or drink all day.  He's gone to bed now, and I'll follow soon.  We're hoping a good night's sleep will help.

When we first saw the doctors, the resident told me that DH looked very good for someone who had just had a shunt put in.  That was good news too.

I haven't read the Daily yet, but will try to read some of it.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I read about what happened to your DH, and that you hurt your back getting him back in his chair.  I hope it's better in the morning, if not, please have it looked at.  If you need help getting your DH up, don't hesitate to call 911.  Our EMTs are very good about helping with things like that.

Lenda

• Like 14

@Seasick Sailor Joy - I second the motion that you call 911 and get help to lift DH. I have lots (and I mean lots and lots) of experience with this scenario. I was instructed by our local medics/firemen to just tell them you need a "lift assist" and nothing else and then they won't send the ambulance, etc. Our local group was amazing the number of times I had to call for my DH. It was so appreciated that we had donations to the local fire department as part of DH's obituary (and have about $300.00 to donate). 

I felt "weird" calling the first few times but I was assured that it was totally ok and to keep calling. There were a few times they were here twice in a day when DH was feeling adventurous. The medics even knew where my cookie jar was and that it was always stocked! 

Karen

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I made it through the Daily, and I know I'll forget to comment on some things.  First, thank you for all the well wishes for DH today.  They are much appreciated.  I won't name manes as I know I would miss some.  @JazzyV  Vanessa, I think and hope this was just a bump in the road to recovery, and I don't think he needs to be on the care list again.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, last year I called the paramedics when DH fell and when I needed help getting him into or out of the car.  In our case, they did bring the ambulance, but were more than willing to help.  One even gave us a concert on our grand piano.  Even this morning when it turned out I'd be taking DH to UTSW instead of them, they stayed until DH was in the car.  They kept an eye on him as I got everything ready to go.

I'm another who liked the quote, but not the man.  I only named one car, the 56 Plymouth I drove in high school.  It was built like a tank and had several quirks.  I'm not sure if it was me or one of my friends who named it The Bomb.

15 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

I have always named my cars and presently drive an elderly Subaru named “Irv”. I have not been to the port but enjoyed the beautiful pictures thanks, Sandi, @StLouisCruisers. I loved the pictures of Elliot Rose!

The woman who interviewed yesterday will start on Wednesday. We hope it will work out. Fortunately she likes dogs as they interview as well. I am relieved but will wait and see how it goes.

Have a great day everyone 

Terry, I'm glad you have a new aide starting Wednesday.  I hope she works out well and gives you much needed relief during the week.

14 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a lovely day here in mid-Michigan with sunny skies and temps in the mid  80s.  A flashback to summer!   That's ok.  We can get some more work done around the yard.  Yesterday I painted the lamp post and now it looks brand new.  It is amazing what a little paint can do.  Sue gave the mailbox the first part of a make over as well.  IMG_2975.thumb.jpg.367ac4bb9bfcbccd5dd2b52063135d8d.jpg

IMG_2976.thumb.jpg.37d78ad987ff380ae4460730ed66f875.jpg

Sorry, Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, but I don't have a picture of the old, ugly light on the lamp post.  IT was a big plastic ball that was dirty and had bugs crawling all over inside it.  

It was nice to be treated to pictures of Elliot Rose.  We always enjoy seeing the Daily babies as they grow.  

We did have some cars with names.  We had an old, white station wagon that we referred to as The Old White Ghost.  It was about 12 years old when Dad finally got rid of it.  He couldn't trade it in when he bought the new car as they were going to charge him to take it to the junk yard.  Then we had The Bonny - a Pontiac Bonneville sedan.  And The Toy - a Toyota Carolla.  

Today's meal is Mac and Cheese, a lovely comfort food for many.  But, we're going to have Mac and Cheese Outside the Box.   We'll start with Caprese Mac and Cheese.   https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/4-cheese-caprese-mac-and-cheese/

Funwithmacandcheese1.thumb.jpg.c8236c0397b15dd1c81717a6fc772151.jpg

There are a lot of things you can do with mac and cheese to liven it up a bit.  It doesn't have to be just mac and cheese.  Here's one with caramelized onions and everyone's favorite, bacon.  https://juliasalbum.com/macaroni-and-cheese-with-bacon-and-caramelized-onions-recipe/

Funwithmacandcheese2.thumb.jpg.9c66710f3a39cb65fd5c4f7c13f3f491.jpg

Or how about mac and cheese stuffed peppers?   These also have mini Italian meatballs included in the stuffing.  https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/mini-italian-meatball-mac-cheese-stuffed-peppers/

Funwithmacandcheese3.thumb.jpg.d7def3a014c31b96ed4cae420b577e25.jpg

Bet you never thought of this - shrimp scampi mac and cheese.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/shrimp-scampi-mac-and-cheese-3581376

Funwithmacandcheese4.thumb.jpeg.5beb01ab3082cad8a1ba761e5ce4a079.jpeg

I bet you can come up with even more ideas!  Here's some to get you started.  https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/collections/gallery/10-new-takes-on-mac-n-cheese/k1a49rhf?page=5

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Debbie, thanks for the picture of the new light.  It looks very nice.  From your description, I think the old one was past its prime.

9 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

Custodians are often underappreciated. I've never named any of my cars. Farm animals are important. I like the quote. I like mac and cheese, although I rarely eat it these days. Pass on the drink, but I'll take the wine. I've been to Australia, but not Brisbane. An important day in history.

It's 78F and sunny out, going up to 81. I'm just back from seeing the Physiatrist. She thinks the pain is a radiculitis, coming from a nerve being affected by all the degenerative changes in my spine. She has referred me to pain medicine, for possible lumbar spine injection with steroid 😧. I'll have to get an appointment for them to assess me. And she wants more core strengthening at PT. Now that I'm home, I really need to mow the lawn, as I didn't feel up to it yesterday. I notice the trees are really starting to turn now, and of course leaving lots of leaves in my yard!

@lindaler Bon Voyage!

@StLouisCruisers Wonderful photos from Brisbane! And thanks for the pictures of Elliott Rose yesterday; I hope you get to see her in person soon. I'm glad to hear there's a little progress with your friend Susan's Scott. Continued prayers for him and her DB.

@grapau27 You're already on my list, but thanks for the reminder.

@rafinmd Your meal looks delicious. I hope you're having a wonderful time.

@smitty34877 Great news about the aide; I hope she turns out to be a keeper!

@aliaschief I wish I could find a good painter here; I have several rooms that need to be painted.

@Haljo1935 I hope you're feeling better soon.

@Heartgrove Great names for your tractors!

@dfish The lamp post looks very nice. I had one put in when I moved here, even though there's a street light right in front of my house.

@cruising sister I'm sorry your asthma is acting up. Cute photos from the cider fest.

@Cruising-along Good luck with the RSV shot. My plan is to get that first, then Covid and flu vaccines late this month.

@1ANGELCAT I hope there's nothing too out of line with your bloodwork. Good luck tomorrow.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Oh no, Lenda. Prayers for Steve that all will be alright after the doctors sort things out.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad the new doctor had some suggestions.  I hope the pain management doctors can give you some relief.

6 hours ago, durangoscots said:

@Quartzsite CruiserJust got back on the computer. Lenda, I am sorry to hear that Steve is back in hospital. Positive thoughts and prayers on the way.

It finally has gotten around to raining. Fortunately dogs went out about 10 minutes ago and it does not look like it will last long.

Back to cleaning out the area below the sink in my 2nd bathroom. Lots to be tossed there.

Susan

Susan, I'm glad you got some much needed rain.

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Carolyn, I hope your friend gets better soon.

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Debbie, I hope your doctor can find what is causing the growth, and that there is a simple fix.

19 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

@Seasick Sailor Joy - I second the motion that you call 911 and get help to lift DH. I have lots (and I mean lots and lots) of experience with this scenario. I was instructed by our local medics/firemen to just tell them you need a "lift assist" and nothing else and then they won't send the ambulance, etc. Our local group was amazing the number of times I had to call for my DH. It was so appreciated that we had donations to the local fire department as part of DH's obituary (and have about $300.00 to donate). 

I felt "weird" calling the first few times but I was assured that it was totally ok and to keep calling. There were a few times they were here twice in a day when DH was feeling adventurous. The medics even knew where my cookie jar was and that it was always stocked! 

Karen

Karen, I'm glad you got some donations for the local fire department.

Now, I'm going to get in bed and read until I fall asleep.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Besides if you have travel insurance you would contact them immediately and they generally take care of the charges right then and there.  I'm sure everything will be fine.

Good Evening

When I research travel insurance policies, I look for an "Advance Payment" clause which specifies the insurance company will provide advance payment (directly to the Provider) necessary for admission to a hospital or clinic.

B

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sorry to hear this Joy.

I hope you are both okay now.

• Like 4