The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday November 1st, 2023

richwmn

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone.   Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.    A great quote!   Today's days of authors and family literacy go well together.  I would like spatchcocked chicken but we rarely buy whole birds.     What a cocktail!   My two dislikes in one cocktail - banana and mint.   Today's wine looks like a winner!

Prayers for everyone on our care list and others needing them.  Prayers for those in war zones and suffering for no fault of their own other than being in the way of hate.   

It was very snowy here yesterday and the outside truck is covered in a dusting of snow.    I have to drive it today to a garden club lunch and I never would have thought that the first of November would be icy.  My plant sale plants behind the garage were beautiful until yesterday and they succumbed to the freeze.   Time to move them to their winter spot out of the way.   

My fist HA cruise was on the Noordam to Alaska and Juneau was one of our stops.   I enjoy everyone's photos of sunshine.   We had precious little our entire mid-September cruise.    We did a HA shorex to Mendenhall, a high view of the city and a private botanic garden.  These are just of the botanic garden.  

GG big falls.jpg

GG entrance.jpg

GG entry.jpg

GG summit pine.jpg

GG rock formation.jpg

GG summit view.jpg

GG rock formation.jpg

GG pond.jpg

GG misty woods.jpg

Thanks for your collection of botanical garden photos in Juneau. They're beautiful!   A totally new look at the city for most of us.  I love botanical gardens!

48 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

Regarding the Zuiderdam, I saw this post a couple of days ago. I had it in a sent e-mail to friends who are also in the region with those ports on their Azamara itinerary. They are due in Aqaba on the 3rd and Sharm El Sheikh on the 4th. The last I heard from them, those ports had not been cancelled, but still possible. They are in Safaga Egypt today and tomorrowl

We are on the Zuiderdam on the Grand Africa cruise and our ports of Aqaba, Jordan and Sharm el Shiekh, Egypt were just canceled because of the unrest in this part of the world. They were able to add an extra day in the Seychelles and a new port in Oman to make up for it. The cruise has been wonderful so far!

Thanks for that update.  I'll tag @richwmn so he has that information available for his Fleet Report.

29 minutes ago, dfish said:

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cold start to the day here in mid-Michigan with a temperature of 27F.  But, we do have blue skies and that helps make up for it.  A few more leaves have fallen, but not enough to drag me out to rake or blow them to the curb.  

Our niece came over last night with her two little guys for Trick or Treat.  We were their last house, so they came in for cupcakes and cider. We had a nice visit with them.  We only had 6 trick or treaters come to the door, but that is 6 more than the neighbors said we would get.  I guess they are getting braver to come up our street with no lights or sidewalks.  The kids we did get were older, so no littles except for the one from next door who brought his mom and dad with him.  

We are going to have River this weekend so we made plans to take her out to our nieces so she can play with the boys and see the chickens.  River needs a break so she can just be a 6 year old for a couple of days, so that is our plan.  

Today's meal is an interesting way of cooking chicken or turkey.  Spatchcocking a chicken or turkey is supposed to speed up cooking time while making the cooking more even.  It makes sure the dark meat gets done without over cooking and drying out the white meat.  https://natashaskitchen.com/spatchcock-chicken-recipe-video/

roastedspachcockchicken1.thumb.jpg.85ee394d45741b181abc386a86138c20.jpg

It is easy to turn a spatchcocked chicken into a one pan meal.  Just surround it with the vegetables you like!   https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/roast-spatchcock-chicken

roastedspachcockchicken2.png.23ea420c399c58fe8036713fe7714708.png

The seasonings you use on the chicken can vary according to taste.  The ones in the recipes are suggestions for you, but if you have a favorite way to season your chicken, go for it!  Spatchcock chicken is a method of cooking more than anything else.  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/crispy-spatchcocked-chicken-recipe/

roastedspachcockchicken3.thumb.jpg.d30d53fd0efb65a0c9aa9ffc102dbb7d.jpg

And there you have it!   

Safe travels and loads of fun to our Dailyite friends embarking on cruises.  What fun!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Debbie, thanks for the recipes and explanation of why spatchcocked chicken is a good way of cooking it evenly.  The first one with the brussels sprouts, potatoes and carrots looks very good.  I will give that one to DH.  We're having roast in the crock pot today.  Sounds like you had a good Halloween.  I'm sure you and Sue are both looking forward to having River stay over this weekend.  She will love it, too.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Absolutely stunning photos Sandi.

Fantastic photos of yourself and Dennis and of your son and his dear wife.

Thanks Graham.   I'm so glad DDIL thought about an Alaska cruise way back then.  Look where it led us!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It is chilly here at 40 and cloudy.

We went to Juneau twice and took the tram and a whale watching tour. My DD DH was quite a Brooklyn born city boy. I will never forget his astonishment when a whale breached right next to the boat. It was an unforgettable moment.

Last night the boiler stopped working. We are waiting for the repair person. I am trying to not panic but it is already damp and cold in here.Sigh.

Anyway Bon Voyage to @kochleffel, @Vict0riann and @ocean sounds

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

40 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

It looks like everyone is starting to feel the new month with cold weather - sorry that we've shared it with all of you!  We're sitting at -4C (24F), and we're only expecting a high of 0 (32F) with cloudy grey skies all day. 

Looks like our tundra is more frozen than yours today 😂 

22 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Last night the boiler stopped working. We are waiting for the repair person. I am trying to not panic but it is already damp and cold in here.Sigh.

Yikes!  I hope you don’t have a long wait for the boiler repair 🤞 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I needed to see CJ our concierge this morning about something and after she answered my question, she told me that Suzi and I will be receiving our medallions later this week and even though we are turning 4 star on this cruise, that will become official on our next cruise. 

• Like 25

47 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

We went to Juneau twice and took the tram and a whale watching tour. My DD DH was quite a Brooklyn born city boy. I will never forget his astonishment when a whale breached right next to the boat. It was an unforgettable moment.

I hope your boiler is a simple fix Terry.

The copper pipe thermocouple is often the culprit.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Terry @smitty34877 I sure hope someone comes soon to take a look at that boiler and it's an easy repair.  The weather is much too cold to go long without that boiler!  

Bruce @aliaschief I bet it's chilly out there today.  Even being in a hot tub might not be warm enough.  Seems like I remember that is the crew area out on the bow.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. A bit warmer this morning when the dogs and I ventured out.... 23F and high will get into the 50's. Fine with me. No trick or treaters last night so the candy will be taken out to the shelter for the staff (bet they have plenty). Since it is all wrapped they can put it out for the customers. It will disappear fast.

@smitty34877hope the heating is fixed really quickly today. Not something you want to be without. It is going to take some time adjusting to my new timers on the ETS heaters, but they do work for which I am very grateful.

Little new from hear. I am sorry so many are having health issues and wish you all the best and a quick resolution. What issues I have seem to be age related and just general slowing down. Just plodding along but I am going to have to pick up the pace if I want to be ready to cruise in January.

Susan

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit. Good morning, all! The quote and the meal sound good. I like to spatchcock, or butterfly, chicken - it cooks faster and more evenly. I even cooked the Thanksgiving  turkey that way once when the clearance between the bird and the upper oven element was a little sketchy. I love bananas, but avoid any drink with banana in it.

We were in Juneau on the Konigsdam in late August with DH’s cousins.

Well, I hope November starts better than October ended here. In the morning, a house about 2 blocks from us caught fire. It was empty, about to be demolished for new construction. Someone was sheltering in there, lit a fire to stay warm, and away it went. In the afternoon, our drier went on strike and became a large, awkward, expensive laundry hamper. Then when I made supper, smoke began pouring out of the base of the pressure cooker. We got it unplugged and outside before it could damage anything. Now I need a new one. But, today is a new day and a new month!

Happy November, everyone! Don’t eat all that Halloween candy at once.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Terry @smitty34877 I sure hope someone comes soon to take a look at that boiler and it's an easy repair.  The weather is much too cold to go long without that boiler!  

Bruce @aliaschief I bet it's chilly out there today.  Even being in a hot tub might not be warm enough.  Seems like I remember that is the crew area out on the bow.  

The bow hot tub is for guest. Some folks swimming in pool as it’s heated. It’s getting out that hurts. Presently 48 degrees and raining.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

The bow hot tub is for guest. Some folks swimming in pool as it’s heated. It’s getting out that hurts. Presently 48 degrees and raining.

Oh, well if that hot tub is for guests you should plan on getting in after lunch!  No crowds!😆

• Like 12
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, dfish said:

And there you have it!   

I love the three pictures together. The first and third is the traditional way of placing a spatchcock chicken in a pan, with the ‘knees’ turned in and the meat spread out.

The middle picture, with the knees turned out and the meat tucked under looks like a bird that spends its whole cruise working out in gym. It makes the other two look like they spend their whole cruise grazing in the Lido. 😄

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 8
  • Haha 16

We've only begun one cruise in Barcelona and that was exactly two weeks after 9/11.  With a smaller number of passengers embarking Golden Princess for her inaugural TA the check in process was very quick.  We were even upgraded from a forward balcony on an upper deck to a mini-suite on a lower deck mid-ship.  We had to go to our former cabin to locate our luggage, but it soon arrived in our new cabin.

We did have a small glitch when we returned to the ship later that afternoon after walking along the Rambles and getting a stash of cokes.  The glitch was getting back through security, but that was our fault.  We found a Toledo sword "replica" of King Arthur's Excalibur and carried it back to the ship.  When that long box went through the x-ray machine, the security guard's eyes got bigger and bigger.  After consulting his supervisor, he asked us to step aside and wait for an officer from the ship to talk to us.  The officer said we could bring the sword on board, but they would keep it until we arrived in Fort Lauderdale.  The last day of the cruise, our cabin steward returned it to us.  We knew we would have to check the box for our flight from FLL to DFW.  The box was not that strong, so with the help of our steward who found some stronger cardboard and packing tape, we reinforced the box.  The agent at the airport gladly check the box with our luggage.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 26

Good morning all!

Interesting collection of days, I'll pass on the banana drink (eww) and the wine.  Would like the meal but have never spatchcocked a chicken before.  The directions always make it look easy....I'm not so sure. 😅

We've been to Juneau at least 3 times.  Our first cruise in 2004 was to Alaska (easy, easy no flights).  It was on the Amsterdam and of course we've been hooked ever since.  That was a 7-day cruise, we took another 7-day on Celebrity, a 12-day Cruise/Denali, and next year we'll be taking the 28-day Alaska Arctic Circle cruise.

Bon Voyage @kochleffel, @Vict0riann, @sailingdutchy and @ocean sounds!

On our first Alaska cruise we went kayaking in Juneau and Ketchikan. This was from Juneau.

Juneaukayak.jpg.c946612a3f44b3ca9fc0665396ac67a1.jpg

One time we rented a car and drove to Mendenhal Glacier Visitor Center and walked to the glacier and Nugget Falls.

MendenhallGlacier.jpg.7f6b5a84d09925ca50a267d3901d901c.jpg

GlacierandNuggetFalls.jpg.4e2be6e8930dc6738d01ea877a6c0eef.jpg

NuggetFalls.jpg.73ceded6cb652382b022fe93d69303c6.jpg

A short stop on our drive

Alaska.jpg.ba4a7b65d863aa29c7c02b999ec592cd.jpg

Our last Alaska cruise was this fall and we had a drizzly day in Juneau.

We would have taken the Mt. Roberts tram but the visibility would obviously be bad at the top.

Mt.Robertstram.thumb.jpg.8e21947a5da987b3e87976fb5895d63c.jpg

And we wanted to get a drink at the Red Onion Saloon, but it was packed wall to wall with people and a very long wait.  So we passed.

RedDogSaloon.thumb.jpg.7f57eb35745e486cebfb505c6d4cf6ce.jpg

Some wild flowers in Alaska

SalmonBerries.thumb.jpg.8e9850206cfdf2916e66db9ea9f586d1.jpg

WildLupine.thumb.jpg.c72dd82527089118482c341effea20a5.jpg

•  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!

I'll salute authors, no pet to cook for, and family literacy is important. It's also Dias de los Muertos. I like the quote. I've never made a spatchcock chicken. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I have been to Juneau on the Ryndam in 2009. The diphtheria vaccine was an important breakthrough.

There were bands of snow showers here earlier, with some areas getting 4" and others (like mine) only getting a few flurries. It's 32F with a high of 41. I'll be staying inside; it's the first weekday without an appointment for a while. I took a Benadryl last night and crashed around 10PM due to being so tired. While it helped me fall asleep, I still only got about 3-1/2 hours total, as I couldn't lay down due to pain. I came downstairs early and tried to nap in the recliner, but the leg pain was just too much. I have a check-in call to pain management, but the next big step is seeing the Neurosurgery PA on Friday. Tomorrow is PMR doctor. I have some stuff I need to do around the house, so I'll make an attempt.

@kochleffel @Vict0riann @ocean sounds Bon Voyage!

@seagarsmoker Enjoy your day!

@aliaschief It sounds like a fun Halloween onboard.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos.

@Nickelpenny I'm glad you're getting the MRI. 

@kplady @GTVCRUISER Nice photos.

@ottahand7 I was in Glacier gardens; not sure if that's the same place.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

A few photos.

Arriving to the dock area in Juneau.

351650200_0224-Juneaudockingarea.thumb.JPG.307bfbe2833e00af100c1270f3c716b6.JPG

They were celebrating 50 years of statehood (2009).

648400239_0228-50yearsofstatehood.thumb.JPG.ebbc889a9e029572c6cb8cbd229b97dd.JPG

Being greeted by a moose on debarkation.

1636014505_0230-Moosegreeting.thumb.JPG.2e27f236015d041e1fc2dce1d1cb8757.JPG

Mendenhall glacier.

1047516056_0272-MendenhallGlacier.thumb.JPG.84be4e65b152321448da3a4cc3a5c6fb.JPG

We were supposed to do a helicopter ride and land on a glacier, but the weather was not good and it was too windy. So we went whale watching instead.

0302.thumb.JPG.b77f0a7c603ec0df05e4d4646f0a380b.JPG

Vanessa, I hope at the check-in appointment with the pain management staff can give you some answers.  I also hope the appointment with the neurosurgeon's PA can get things started toward a solution to ending the pain.

3 hours ago, tjcox9 said:

Regarding the Zuiderdam, I saw this post a couple of days ago. I had it in a sent e-mail to friends who are also in the region with those ports on their Azamara itinerary. They are due in Aqaba on the 3rd and Sharm El Sheikh on the 4th. The last I heard from them, those ports had not been cancelled, but still possible. They are in Safaga Egypt today and tomorrowl

We are on the Zuiderdam on the Grand Africa cruise and our ports of Aqaba, Jordan and Sharm el Shiekh, Egypt were just canceled because of the unrest in this part of the world. They were able to add an extra day in the Seychelles and a new port in Oman to make up for it. The cruise has been wonderful so far!

I am not surprised that the Zuiderdam and other cruise lines are rearranging their itineraries.  It reminds me of our 2003 mystery cruise from Bangkok to Rome shortly after the invasion of Iran and the emergence of SARS in Asia.  We had seven of the 13 ports changed, but still had a wonderful cruise, except for getting Delhi Belly in Agra.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cold start to the day here in mid-Michigan with a temperature of 27F.  But, we do have blue skies and that helps make up for it.  A few more leaves have fallen, but not enough to drag me out to rake or blow them to the curb.  

Our niece came over last night with her two little guys for Trick or Treat.  We were their last house, so they came in for cupcakes and cider. We had a nice visit with them.  We only had 6 trick or treaters come to the door, but that is 6 more than the neighbors said we would get.  I guess they are getting braver to come up our street with no lights or sidewalks.  The kids we did get were older, so no littles except for the one from next door who brought his mom and dad with him.  

We are going to have River this weekend so we made plans to take her out to our nieces so she can play with the boys and see the chickens.  River needs a break so she can just be a 6 year old for a couple of days, so that is our plan.  

Today's meal is an interesting way of cooking chicken or turkey.  Spatchcocking a chicken or turkey is supposed to speed up cooking time while making the cooking more even.  It makes sure the dark meat gets done without over cooking and drying out the white meat.  https://natashaskitchen.com/spatchcock-chicken-recipe-video/

It is easy to turn a spatchcocked chicken into a one pan meal.  Just surround it with the vegetables you like!   https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/roast-spatchcock-chicken

The seasonings you use on the chicken can vary according to taste.  The ones in the recipes are suggestions for you, but if you have a favorite way to season your chicken, go for it!  Spatchcock chicken is a method of cooking more than anything else.  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/crispy-spatchcocked-chicken-recipe/

And there you have it!   

Safe travels and loads of fun to our Dailyite friends embarking on cruises.  What fun!

Debbie, I'm glad you and Sue will have River for the weekend.  It sounds like she needs normalcy in her life, and she's very lucky to have the two of you in her life.

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.   Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Hurray for authors and for the literacy they create among young and old.  I've never cooked for any of our pets, but I'm sure they'd like to have me do it.

It looks like everyone is starting to feel the new month with cold weather - sorry that we've shared it with all of you!  We're sitting at -4C (24F), and we're only expecting a high of 0 (32F) with cloudy grey skies all day.  Last week the forecast said today we should be having a high of +5, so we thought we might put the Christmas lights on the house . . . that won't be happening today, and looking at the forecast, we might just forego the lights all together this year because of the cold.  

Last night was fun - we had a total of 38 little and bigger people coming to the door with some fun costumes.  One little wee guy kept saying "I'm a knight, I'm a knight, I'm a knight."  I think he figured that was good enough to get some candy.  We also had a surprise visit from our Ukrainian friends - their little girl was dressed as a Pokemon creature and was just adorable.  This was their first Halloween and both parents and child were just so excited about it.   We're having them over for a delayed Thanksgiving dinner on the weekend so we'll hear all about their experience when we get together.

Bon Voyage to all our Daily-ites; @kochleffelI'm happy to hear boarding process was painless, as that's been our experience every time in Barcelona as well.

I'm going to definitely pass on the drink of the day (just can't imagine the combination of flavors), will say yes to the wine, and haven't ever spatchcocked a chicken.  DH has requested breaded pork chops, so I've got a couple thawing in the fridge that will be served along with baked potatoes and green beans at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those in pain and those suffering from the ravages of wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, how wonderful your young Ukrainian friends are settling in to live on the frozen tundra, and are enjoying some of the "western" customs and holidays.

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

it is a clear cold morning.  There were lots of trick or treaters at my DS house which was nice. I think I ate my weight in candy and feel pretty blah this morning. DB had a pretty rough night so hopefully today will go better. 

I was in Juneau for a 90th birthday cruise for my dad. He always wanted to go to Alaska. He would have preferred a pickup truck and camper but realized this was the only way he was getting there. He was apprehensive about cruising since the last ship he was on was coming back from WWII. I told him he would find this different and he had a great time. 

I am sad reading how many of our Dailyites are having pain. I hope relief comes soon. I am happy to read so many are off cruising. I agree with @kochleffel boarding in Barcelona was a breeze. Have a great trip.  

The recipes look delicious. I will surely try one this weekend. I will celebrate vaccines and have seen what a difference  they make during the years I practiced.  Having Diphtheria must have been awful for Graham’s mom. 

Prayers and well wishes. Have a great day. 

Lorraine, your Halloween at your DS's house sounds like fun.  I'm sorry your DB had a rough night, and I hope he sees a big improvement today.  I'm glad your DF got to see Alaska even if it was from a cruise ship.

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Terry, I hope the boiler is fixed quickly and easily.

36 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit. Good morning, all! The quote and the meal sound good. I like to spatchcock, or butterfly, chicken - it cooks faster and more evenly. I even cooked the Thanksgiving  turkey that way once when the clearance between the bird and the upper oven element was a little sketchy. I love bananas, but avoid any drink with banana in it.

We were in Juneau on the Konigsdam in late August with DH’s cousins.

Well, I hope November starts better than October ended here. In the morning, a house about 2 blocks from us caught fire. It was empty, about to be demolished for new construction. Someone was sheltering in there, lit a fire to stay warm, and away it went. In the afternoon, our drier went on strike and became a large, awkward, expensive laundry hamper. Then when I made supper, smoke began pouring out of the base of the pressure cooker. We got it unplugged and outside before it could damage anything. Now I need a new one. But, today is a new day and a new month!

Happy November, everyone! Don’t eat all that Halloween candy at once.

Carolyn, I too hope November is better than the end of October for you.  

23 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Bruce, I remember a swim on Rotterdam VI across the Arctic Circle.  The heated Sea View pool wasn't bad, but getting out was brutal.  It didn't help that someone took the towels we'd left on the edge of the pool.

I have enjoyed all the pictures from Juneau today.  Alaska is one of our two favorite places to visit.  The other is Bora Bora.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Well, I finally accomplished what I started with the VA.  They approved my dental care and I have an appointment with a local dentist at Noon today.  After a number of phone calls and waiting for call backs that never happened, I had an appointment for a check up at the local VA clinic.  Told the doctor that the only problem I had was dental and asked if he could help with a referral.  His nurse was the most helpful.  She investigated and found that the Community Care office had been notified and was supposed to call me.  They hadn't, so I contacted them via MyHealtheVet.  Within a couple of hours I had approval for a year, starting yesterday.  As I mentioned before, it just takes persistence.

Ray

• Like 29

3 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Well, I finally accomplished what I started with the VA.  They approved my dental care and I have an appointment with a local dentist at Noon today.  After a number of phone calls and waiting for call backs that never happened, I had an appointment for a check up at the local VA clinic.  Told the doctor that the only problem I had was dental and asked if he could help with a referral.  His nurse was the most helpful.  She investigated and found that the Community Care office had been notified and was supposed to call me.  They hadn't, so I contacted them via MyHealtheVet.  Within a couple of hours I had approval for a year, starting yesterday.  As I mentioned before, it just takes persistence.

Ray

I'm very happy to hear you have approval now for your dental benefits.  Having these types of problems hanging over our heads makes for too much stress and at our age, we don't need any more stress!  Good luck today.

• Like 16

Good morning.  It is a chilly morning in Western Colorado.  At least we don’t have snow, like the mountains and Front Range.  I am sitting at the car dealers service department’s lounge.  Getting new tires before winter.  I had known my tires were needing to be replaced, so finally decided to do it.  I always loving spending over $1,000!!  That kind of spending (and more) should be reserved for cruising.

I love reading about those are cruising, and seeing the wonderful pictures that so many share.  Have been to Juneau on 4 of my 5 Alaska cruises.  That is also a stop on the 28-day Alaska cruise for next summer.  I just cancelled 2 cruises so am really looking forward to seeing many ports in Alaska that are visited very seldom. (Dutch Harbor, Barrow, Nome to name a few, plus Hubbard Glacier and College Fjord which I have not seen,)

Prayers sent for all that are in pain or needing special thoughts.  If I get out of here in time will go to church for Mass for All Saints Day.

Have a great day everyone.

Mary Kay

• Like 21

We have the Hawaii cruise on a complimentary hold until tomorrow, but in the meantime I have to reverify for the educator discount.  The problem comes in that my verification comes from the retirement system, but I can't load that in as such.  I can only submit the name of the school district I retired from.  So, I keep being told that my pay stubs are not sufficient to verify me.   This is the same problem I had last time.  You'd think they would have fixed it by now.  

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit sure worked here today!   Sue found out she doesn't have to pay for a new wheel bearing in the car.  So, it is only an oil change today.  Then we stumbled into a great sale at one of our favorite stores.  Sue got two tops and I got two pairs of pants - all at 50% off.  We're going out to dinner tonight to celebrate.  

We've been to Juneau three times on BHBs.  The second time we took the big blue bus to Mendenhall glacier, but it broke down so we made an unplanned visit to the Wal Mart parking lot until a new bus could pick us up.  We still made it into the glacier and Nugget Falls.   

DSC01702.thumb.JPG.9b8cda2c040e150a682180b2114af0b4.JPG

Nephew Matt and me at Nugget Falls.

DSC01823.thumb.JPG.38840d1d1ca024810c276392894b403a.JPG

Sue and Matt

The last time was in 2021 and we did an excursion out of Juneau and got to hold sea urchins.  When I talked to mine, it responded by waving its quills at me.  

20210913_222028599_iOS.thumb.jpg.0c7b24e43c7461d7570fdaa30fe3056b.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1