Saturday November 18th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and DIxie.  Very late to the party today and I'm not sure if I'll make it at all tomorrow between Sunday and the canal. 

I used to get fresh apple cider direct from local orchards but they are long gone now.  I'll pass on Mickey and Princess.

Happy Anniversary St. Peters.  I've been close but not inside.  I don't think I've been to Baie Comeau although I believe I've at least been close if not actually there.  I drove for my second trip to Newfoundland in 2000, and at the time there was a ferry from Lewisport into Goose Bay Labradory and then I drove  the Trans Labrador Highway which ended near Baie Comeau.  I think I may have taken a ferry from Baie Comeau to the South Shore of the St. Lawrence and then driven down to Montreal.

After the explanation I think the quote seems pretty sad.  The meal is definitely interesting.  My alternative is Gourmet Greens, Beechers Macaroni and Cheese, and Pistachio Ice Cream as served in Rotterdam's Club Orange last night.

Roydishes17.jpg

Roy

• Like 24

29 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I used to get fresh apple cider direct from local orchards but they are long gone now. 

There is nothing like fresh apple cider.  I am lucky enough to be apple to get it at my local farmers market.  You buy the apples and they press them right in front of you using an old fashioned, hand cranked press.

@rafinmdThere are many orchards in Central MD that still make fresh cider in the Fall.  https://www.baltimoremagazine.com/section/fooddrink/best-apple-cider-destinations-around-baltimore/. In addition to fresh cider Baughers has great pies and Webers has delicious apple cider donuts.  For those of you on PA, Shaws is right on the MD/PA line and has a small store with local goods.  All the orchards listed make a lovely day trip.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

@0106, was it you who was asking about the library on Oosterdam?  I took some pictures, a few days after we sailed, and there were gaps in the supplies - I heard they would be loading more books.  But I also overheard someone saying they took 10 books!   

IMG_0951.thumb.jpeg.650dd6fceef096760e6a7bbb261ae10e.jpeg

IMG_0952.thumb.jpeg.47671d2ead2993bc48ffd86d7c89f6bc.jpeg

IMG_0954.thumb.jpeg.f0413a490591f30b597f56b470a0614a.jpeg

IMG_0955.thumb.jpeg.3372e210a27a40a8a3848198a4a7c0e7.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon, we’re back from picking up the turkey dinners. We got in line about 20 minutes before 3 and there was already about 20 cars before us. The car smells so good. 
Just like @0106, we have several local orchards that make their own ciders. We were there yesterday and got some pear cider.

• Like 18

@Vict0riannThanks for the pictures of the library but it wasn’t me who ask.  Why in the world would someone take 10 books!  Regardless, I’m sure I’ll find something to read. 🤔📚

I plan to spend most of my 7 scenic cruising days looking for penguins & whales and enjoying the icebergs and fjords. If anyone has any “advice” about an SA & Antarctica cruise, I would welcome it.🐧🐳

Timer just went off, time to take another tray of cookies out of the oven.🍪😊

• Like 17

Good Afternoon,  most of my chores got done today.  @1ANGELCAT post reminded me that one of the local rescues was having a fundraiser today.  We went and picked up three catnip mats.  Two are going to PA next week.  The kids approved of the mats and may not want them to leave the house.

Tucker was first. 

20231118_132652.thumb.jpg.eef99407d4de09909736b6d01d0fc155.jpg

Jasper 

20231118_135103.thumb.png.b22d96c49d78ef198f2da28171345d29.png

Zander

20231118_133429.thumb.jpg.9d09ecfee5c50a1bebcebd6c73727186.jpg

Amelia was last to test them out.

20231118_135902.thumb.png.a01e0fc6f339fa48d8a9679b29177f56.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Had a good but exhausting day yesterday, but the movers got it all in!  Granddaughter and her fiancé were here all day working hard, literally doing the heavy lifting, so so so glad they could!  No way I could keep up with them so I’d take a break and point at things. They were so cheerful to help.  Kitchen, beds and some bath basics are set up but nearly everything done yesterday will need rearranging… in due time. Had a lovely supper in the dining room with the kids, then collapsed into my own bed!  Slept till 5:30!  

Sounds like things went quite well 👍. You can only get so much done on moving in day and it’s great that you had help and dinner.

Welcome to you new home 🙂 

6 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Also yesterday was a trip to Dr for DH and I - he has bronchitis, I have a viral gastro thing. That took half the day, so I have some work to finish today as well as starting to pack for the cruise. Gut needs to cooperate - I leave Tuesday. 

Gee, hate to hear you are both under the weather 😔. I hope you are MUCh better before you travel and cruise 🤞 

9 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good early morning,

I had trouble sleeping last night but I don't feel bad this morning. DGS has his 6th bday party with friends today. It is at one of those jumping places. DGD is to young and to small so we will hang out together. I have organized some of my squirrel piles and hope to get them in a suitcase later today or tomorrow. 

Have a great weekend. 

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Very late to the party today and I'm not sure if I'll make it at all tomorrow between Sunday and the canal. 

Don’t worry about posting here, Roy.  Enjoy your cruise.  You can’t do everything (speaking from experience).  Have fun and enjoy !

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

I love apple cider.  I love stopping at Cracker Barrel for breakfast and getting a cold mug of cider.  I love warm cider with cinnamon.  I even (gag most people) like instant Cider.  Guess I like Cider.

Well I worked today.  It felt strange.  Only did 3.75 hours, but after my near death experience (doc said) I have decided to work less, so only 30 hours a week, with a day off.  Yay!

If I'm getting oxygen, it wont be until Monday, as Carrie Lynn had not figured out how to order it for me by the time she left work yesterday.

Chuck fell today, tripped over a chair leg, and hit is head under his right eye on the glass coffee table. Lots of blood.  But he didnt want to go to the hospital.  He says it hurts but not as bad as some of his headaches.

We must do grocery shopping tomorrow.  We have not done any shopping since we got home.  It is now mandatory!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 13

4 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I love apple cider.  I love stopping at Cracker Barrel for breakfast and getting a cold mug of cider.  I love warm cider with cinnamon.  I even (gag most people) like instant Cider.  Guess I like Cider.

Well I worked today.  It felt strange.  Only did 3.75 hours, but after my near death experience (doc said) I have decided to work less, so only 30 hours a week, with a day off.  Yay!

If I'm getting oxygen, it wont be until Monday, as Carrie Lynn had not figured out how to order it for me by the time she left work yesterday.

Chuck fell today, tripped over a chair leg, and hit is head under his right eye on the glass coffee table. Lots of blood.  But he didnt want to go to the hospital.  He says it hurts but not as bad as some of his headaches.

We must do grocery shopping tomorrow.  We have not done any shopping since we got home.  It is now mandatory!

Please take good care of yourself!  Poor Chuck! Hope nothing permanently damaged!  

• Like 15

I'd like some fresh-pressed apple cider. My favorite O. Henry story is "The Ransom of Red Chief."

Indian butter chicken would be OK, but actual dinner here will be a stir-fry of tofu and bok choy. I've just set up the rice cooker to make enough for a casserole tomorrow, too. Adding whiskey to lemonade is not a very original idea. Another Sauvignon Blanc? I'll go with Buttonwood Grove Fumé Blanc 2021. (Although many Finger Lakes wineries grow Sauvignon Blanc, German varieties such as Riesling are the best here.) I haven't been to Baie Comeau.

Cattolibrarian.jpg.7f13ddc0ceaf5a7318df77dfcb4fde51.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 16
  • Haha 5

Annie .... am glad that you have decided to work less. Take it slowly and rest when you feel the need. I am sorry that Chuck fell and hope he did not do any major damage. I have been trying to trip-proof my house and some throw rugs have been discarded. I warned my downstairs neighbor she may be able to hear me walking about more. I just have to watch out for the dogs.

Rained some today, but not much. It is soup and salad for supper tonight. Off to walk dogs while it is still light enough for me to see where I am putting my feet.

Susan

Monty and Bandit (she served us supper late!!)

Edited by durangoscots
  • Like 17

Good afternoon from Colorado City on the edge of the Permian Basin. It took longer than the time predicteed by Google Maps,but we were here by 3 pm.  Thos os the forst afternoon since we decided to switch motorhomes that I've had time to sit and relax.  It feels strange, but wonderful.

We stopped at a campground where we've stayed for seve4al years.  One of the puses this year was beging able to watch the Texas v Iowa State game tonight.  Since we were here in 2022, they've done away with the cable tv.  I think we may be able to stream the game using their WiFi which is working for the first time.

11 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Good morning everyone.  Happy preThanksgiving weekend.  Lots for me to get done as company coming later this week. 

Health issues continue here.  DH Bill continuing with cipro for urinary tract pain.  Seems to be getting better but what worries me is that DH had pain also in October when I was away with DS Karen.   Because urgent care doctor said to go directly to hospital emergency if this happens again I am worried.  Dr implied other conditions may be impacting urinary tract.  Speaking of DS Karen - she has been hospitalized for the past two nights with stomach pains.  Tests are clear but pain continues.  It never seems to end!  

Best wishes for all as we enter a very busy time of the year.  Katherine 

Katherine,I'm sorry Bill is still on cipro.  I hope he is better soon.  Also, I hope they find the cause of your DS's stomach pain. 

10 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It was 55 earlier but the temperature will drop all day and end up in the thirties tonight and tomorrow. I am driving up to see DS and family tomorrow. I will stay for a week. I am a little nervous about leaving here but the rest of the family will take over what I usually do. The teenager said he expects there will be a lot of pizza!

@Quartzsite Cruiser, Lenda, I wish you and Steve safe travels to Arizona. It certainly was a lot of work to get everything ready. I admire your energy and enthusiasm.

@cat shepard,Ann, yesterday was the first day since Lou died that I woke up feeling like myself again. All of your good wishes have certainly helped and I thank you again.

A big thank you to everyone here who sends such kind words and prayers our way. I am aware that the ups and downs will continue but it is a relief to want to get up and going again.

I have sworn off cooking until I return next week so we will see what dinner looks like later. I have not been to the port.Apple cider is not a favorite. I remember DGD’s Princess phase and watching “Frozen” with her.

Have a great day everyone 

Terri, thank you for your kind words.  I'm just doing what has to be done.  I've admired the way you've handled the situation with Tana and your DD DH.  I was glad to see that yesterday you woke up feeling like yourself.  Enjoy your time with your DS and his family.  I know everyone will step up and see that things go smoothly.

9 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning to All!!  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I do like apple cider in small doses, grew up with Mickey Mouse and was a frequent visitor to Disneyland as I lived close.  I AM a Princess - LOL!!  When I worked in Riyadh, I had to have a driver and sit in the back seat.  The windows were tinted and I always said I felt like a Princess being driven to the places I wanted to go.  After the explanation of the quote, I understand it now.  I have never been a fan of the meal so I will pass, the drink sounds yummy, no on the wine (white), and have never been to the port. Went to St. Peter's Basilica 2 years ago and it is amazing.  Do miss Walt and his movies from back then.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Safe travels on your way to AZ!!  We have had some rain and the humidity is up there (~85% right now) but we will get up to low 70s today (presently it is 62F) with a slight chance of rain.  The Tour de Tucson is today - a 102 mile bicycle race.  This is the 40th year, I think.  And there was a tragedy in our Flowing Wells family.  A 9yo was killed at one of the elementary schools after a metal gate fell on them.  Some reports say it was a girl but others a boy.  It is so sad.

Today is "it is getting real" day - straightening things, packing, etc.  The young man who "watches" Martina will be coming to get the key this weekend.  I have a list of things to do day by day.  I always make lists but never stick to them!!  LOL!!

Many, many thoughts for the world and those on the care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!!

image.jpeg.30002d59585793943a030e7b412267a4.jpeg

Penny, thank you for the good wishes.  I can't wait to smell the desert after it rains.  Nowhere else does it smell like that.

8 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Had a good but exhausting day yesterday, but the movers got it all in!  Granddaughter and her fiancé were here all day working hard, literally doing the heavy lifting, so so so glad they could!  No way I could keep up with them so I’d take a break and point at things. They were so cheerful to help.  Kitchen, beds and some bath basics are set up but nearly everything done yesterday will need rearranging… in due time. Had a lovely supper in the dining room with the kids, then collapsed into my own bed!  Slept till 5:30!  
Today the cable guy is expected. The only other thing on the agenda is a soak in the hot tub!  Maybe some groceries today but haven’t thought that far ahead. Everything aches but we’re ok, resting up today for the next push with other granddaughter and her husband tomorrow. One day at a time. 

@smitty34877 Smooth travels as you absorb changes. Happy for you that you are heading to your son’s. @Quartzsite Cruiser Smooth travels west!  
@cat shepard Thank you Ann!  

Blessings to all in need to healing, relief, path forward, strength, comfort or hope!  Especially those suffering in war zones. 
Yay for all celebrating, Life is Good!  
Smooth travels to all away!  Enjoy it all!  
Maureen 

Maureen, I'm glad the move went smoothly, and that you had help from your DGDs.

8 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Don't drink apple cider, but plenty do and I'll celebrate their day; Mickey Mouse and princesses are worthy of a day.

I think the quote is beyond me; pass on the drink; would try the meal & the wine; not been to the port.

The days in history certainly each made significant contributions in their own ways.

Picked up new glasses yesterday; they feel good - driving will be the test. Also yesterday was a trip to Dr for DH and I - he has bronchitis, I have a viral gastro thing. That took half the day, so I have some work to finish today as well as starting to pack for the cruise. Gut needs to cooperate - I leave Tuesday. 

Craving CFA, but not allowed for a few days til I can return to normal diet.

Currently 59° and sunny headed to 68°; still no rain on flight day.

Prayers and positive thoughts for all!Screenshot_20231118-090950_Weather.thumb.jpg.2a8bddaf24e66714fa93799c88598d4f.jpg

I hope you and your DH feel better before your cruise.

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We have an interesting sky this morning.  Looks like a sunny morning but I know rain is in the forecast.

Novembersunrise.jpg.3e1dd1f33b0ad5e661b0a027a314e8a3.jpg

I like apple cider once in awhile, DDIL worked for Disney as an Imagineer and always said she "worked for the Mouse".  I feel like a princess when we sail on a BHB!  I'll pass on the meal and drink, but am sure I would like the wine.  Have not been to the port.

Today I need to work more on the Christmas shopping (online).  I have 1 person taken care of, lots more to do.  The cards are all addressed and ready to send in a few weeks.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers I'm sorry to hear that you'll most likely cancel the cruise -- I was looking forward to meeting you.  I do understand though.  We're happy that Egypt was kept, we haven't been there since 2006 and would love to get back again.  I dreamed about Egypt last night LOL.

Bon Voyage @Cruise Suzy!

@Lady Hudson I'm so sorry to hear that your DH and DS are dealing with health issues.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser Safe travels to AZ!

@Haljo1935 Very sorry to hear your DH has bronchitis and you're dealing with viral gastrointestinal issues.  Hope you both feel better soon.

Thank you, Carolyn.

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  

I know I am late to the table so to speak, but safe travels to @smitty34877 and @Quartzsite Cruiser this week! 

@seagarsmoker I was very saddened by your news yesterday.  I seem to have worked for companies that told me that I was expendable the day of the layoff, not two weeks before,  Guess they want you to take any vacation you have earned before you leave, so that they don't have to pay that out.

I live in a brick ranch which gets great sun during the day in the den.  Furnando has taken to lizard watching as they warm themselves on the bricks by the windows.  During the afternoon, the bricks heat up enough this time of year to create a warmth so that we can open the windows for a few hours everyday.  

Annie, I hope you get the oxygen soon, and that you plan to work fewer hours.  Sorry about Chuck's fall.  I hope he wasn't hurt too badly.

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good afternoon from an overcast Miami.

We were going to go on a sightseeing boat ride but the weather changed our minds,

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie and Ann for all the information on this thread and keeping us up to date.

I am not a big fan of Apple Cider but will have a bit.

I am, however, a big fan of Mickey Mouse.   Have been to Disneyworld many times.  

I was never a Princess.  Never will be.

The quote is interesting and thank you to @0106 for the explanation.

I will pass on the food and drink for today.

I have not been to the Quebec.  We have a trip planned for next summer, God willing.

Prayers for those on the cares list.

@JazzyV I hope you start to get some relief from that leg pain.

@lazey1 prayers that you start to feel better

@marshhawk Annie, I hope your pulmonary issues begin to resolve.

Prayers for everyone here and their loved ones who are ill and suffering.

@Cruise Suzy BON VOYAGE!

@smitty34877 So happy you are going to visit DS and taking some time for yourself.  The best thing you can do for yourself right now.

@RMLincoln Glad you are in your new digs.  Hope it doesn’t take you too long to get settled.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Safe travels back to Arizona in that new Motorhome.

Prayers for Baby Murphy as she continues to hold her own.

@seagarsmokerHope you find some employment that you are happy with in the near future.

We are spending a quiet day.  Jim seems more tired than I expected.  I am kind of tired myself after doing all the driving for two days.  So we will wait for another time for the boat ride,.

Just chilling out today.

Will be happy to board the ship tomorrow.

Prayers for everyone and 

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, BON VOYAGE  to you and Jim.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

My DW and I visited Baie-Conrad September 5th on the Zaandam. The locals pronounced it “bay como”.

We just did a walk about and really enjoyed our time there.

IMG_2060.thumb.jpeg.90aefb3ec7f596745642ed2e9442e851.jpeg

IMG_2059.thumb.jpeg.3f15bd0280fd3f23afa88a8373f16b0d.jpeg

IMG_2058.thumb.jpeg.9eba160dc5783dd9b68f724cf49c3b11.jpeg

IMG_2057.thumb.jpeg.cb9bc0b7cbc0720f96b4532d8fe3cc9e.jpeg

IMG_2056.thumb.jpeg.def7c0bf7978394481506b0e084db9d1.jpeg

IMG_2055.thumb.jpeg.0c3dab73b41aaf412c08e154db10bb04.jpeg

IMG_2051.thumb.jpeg.befdc4052901524186ded65afbdd0f52.jpeg

IMG_2052.thumb.jpeg.736cdeaa3d3213cb376283940e6e5810.jpeg

IMG_2053.thumb.jpeg.a89945405aa6114ed6686694791f12b7.jpeg

IMG_2050.thumb.jpeg.e45e638b5d1ededf5ead5b0eb1ab30f0.jpeg

IMG_2041.thumb.jpeg.dfcb5ae030817f2ab3f7f682d032bf26.jpeg

IMG_2040.thumb.jpeg.d3a7c966f5cabd17f79acaee7a3b70d7.jpeg

IMG_2042.thumb.jpeg.d80d40ffc7a4d899ea14fd7893e23bd7.jpeg

IMG_2039.thumb.jpeg.8edb081c568481eb54aa4ad7779c6d9c.jpeg

IMG_2038.thumb.jpeg.c5f3b06506038c4871b769eb96590041.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

41 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@DeeniEncinitas Hey sweet sister! Have not heard from you since September when you and David were in Maui. Hoping you are both well and sending love to sweet Paisley!

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Love you Sis!!!!!

Paisley says Hi!! She turned 14 July 4th’ 

Healthy little girl! Our daughter is leaving on her first cruise in Miami and we pick Paisley up tomorrow! Thanks for thinking of us!! Enjoy your cruise with Allen and Hey, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! We are well and looking forward to all the holidays!

Bon Voyage and enjoy your cruises!! Oliver is precious with his little tie! 
🌺Mahalo Sis

image.thumb.jpeg.15e4b4c4746fe7c19c0c655c8fd1e3d7.jpeg

• Like 14