Tuesday December 12th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Today is Gingerbread Decorating Day, National Ambrosia Day, and National Poinsettia Day

You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.--Albert Camus

Meal Suggestion for today - Butternut Squash Curry with Chickpeas
Drink of the Day - Red Zone
Wine of the Day - Rocco Del Dragone Aglianico Campania
Destination of the Day - Ravenna, Italy

Today in History:
1901 Guglielmo Marconi sends the first transatlantic radio signal, from Poldhu in Cornwall to Newfoundland, Canada

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 17:00

Koningsdam

La Paz, Baja California Mexico 07:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Freeport, Bahamas Dry Dock

Nieuw Statendam

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Montevideo, Uruguay eta 12-14

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Falmouth Jamaica eta 12-13

Volendam

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico 11:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Scarborough, Tobago 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Mindelo, Sao Vicente Island Cape Verde eta 12-13

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Fiordland National Park, New Zealand 07:00 - 08:00

Westerdam

Pulau Penang Island, Georgetown, Malaysia Penang 08:00 - 17:00

1212World.thumb.png.c48e5c70dd1bb2d83388a87dd062d8dc.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 21

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

57Redbird’s spinal fusion surgery yesterday

Cruzin Terri at Mayo Jacksonville for tests/appointments Monday & Tuesday

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck not feeling well

Passing of Mr. Boston’s Aunt Roberta 12/10

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Hurricane victims in TN

Shootings in Las Vegas and Texas

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Smitty34877 grieving the loss of her DD DH Lou and caring for Tana

Mamaofami’s extensive dental work

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cruising sister’s g-niece Murphy extubated, and on CPAP 

Cunnorl’s new niece Maeve Grace, Welcome to the World!

RMLincoln now at her new home/community in NJ

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

3 days for Suslor (Rottendam Dec 15 to Dec 22) Eastern Caribbean w/DGS

3 days for Crazy For Cats (Rotterdam Dec 15 to Dec 22) Eastern Caribbean

3 days for Ichiban Nekko (Rotterdam Dec 15 to Jan 5, B2B) 7d Eastern Caribbean + 14d Western/Tropical Caribbean

5 days for Seagarsmoker (Nieuw Statendam Dec 17 to Dec 27, Southern Caribbean)

7 days for St Pete Cruiser (Zaandam Dec 19 to Jan 4, Southern Caribbean Holiday)

GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Dec 16) Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez, RedNeckBob(Celebrity Reflection to Dec 17, B2B, Bimini, Grand Cayman & Mexico/ABC Islands), LAFFNVEGAS (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 17, E. Caribbean), Dobiemom (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 17, E. Caribbean), POA1 (Nieuw Statendam to Dec 17, Eastern Caribbean), Av8rix(Koningsdam to Jan 6, 11n Mexican Riviera & Sea of Cortez + 5n Mexico + 16n Circle Hawaii Holiday), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, 51d B2B2B2B PC Sunfarer + Eastern/Western Caribbean (14n) + Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer (16n)) and Lindaler (Volendam to April 6, B2B) 24d Historical Baja Peninsula & Sea of Cortez Holiday + Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ voyage)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 22

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today should be a nice day if a bit chilly.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion, instead we will have some leftover roast beef.  It’s an in office day and I’m heading in soon.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

2013 San Juan

66625287-8A48-46B4-A837-7435E8379741.thumb.jpeg.c549c5a97425a51314c21cfa8bf37058.jpeg

DDDE55E2-2788-4BE6-AFBA-7564058BA553.thumb.jpeg.04ddf91d36f3233cb97ae598b61b5eaf.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Chance of flurries this afternoon, hope there's not too much, it's pretty if you don't have to shovel it.

No gingerbread in our house but I may make some other cookie this afternoon.  I haven't made Ambrosia in ages.  I have a poinsettia, it's pretty.  I wonder how long it will hold it's leaves.

Interesting quote.

Oh boy, more butternut squash.  I'll pass.  Not sure about the drink or wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Red Zone cocktail:

Ingredients
1 ½ parts Pinnacle® Vodka
1 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps
3 parts Cranberry Juice
Splash of Sour Mix

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a tall glass filled with ice. Garnish with apple slices.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 6.45.15 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 15

Good morning friends!  A frosty 28F this A.M. with sunshine and a high of 55 later today. 🌞 Thanks go to Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday 12/12.

It's beginning to look more like Christmas with the gingerbread decorating, poinsettias and even the ambrosia.  I approve of all of them.  Well, well. Another meaning of life quote!  Butternut squash curry with chickpeas??  Are you kidding me?  I avoid all three so no thank you. 😝 I'll also pass on the Red Zone and whatever type of wine that is.  If I don't know what it is I don't drink it.  Hurray for another good first in communications, Mr. Marconi.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports, and for putting up with my comments on them!  LOL!

Prayers said today for all our Daily friends in need of them, those at war and held hostage, and my own family and friends who could use a lift. 🙏 Cheers to all who are happily celebrating an event or cruising and that is quite of few of us!🎉🎂  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the list work and I pray for some news soon that will help with your leg pain and sleep deprivation. 🙏

Today's port is Ravenna, Italy and I'm pretty sure we haven't been there before.  The previous dates for that port were July 12, 2021 and March 12, 2022.  I searched and searched for July 12, 2021 and nearly gave up but located it in September 2021 due to a very late comment by someone on some topic in the Daily.  I present to you the links to Ravenna's previous appearances:

In sports news I regret to inform you Notre Dame lost to Clemson last night in the finals for the College Cup, 2 to 1.  However after their great season they should be proud to be #2, and have nothing to be sorry about.  Great job Fighting Irish!

Hoping everyone has a successful day no matter what they have ahead of them.  Stay well, and be safe!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a wet 46°F north east coast of England.

3 interesting days.

I will give the quote and food and drink a miss.

Ravenna is relatively new for cruisers after Venice banned cruise ships and we have never been there.

Prayers 🙏 for anyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Screenshot_20231212_114324.jpg

Screenshot_20231212_114625.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good morning. It’s a cool morning in NW Florida and currently 37 degrees. Another annual doctor’s appointment this morning and one more tomorrow to be prescribed malaria meds. Pharmacy overrides were started yesterday and UPS will pick up two advanced luggage bags today. 
More butternut squash and curry? Never have heard of today’s port of call.

Rich thanks for the Fleet Report and continued thoughts and prayers for those in need. Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.6a1127891d5581cc685ceefc04080f83.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c15df25a488e342e5d9ccd8d348de465.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.33f39925c6175ff0090811388598d5b0.jpegimage.jpeg.a9620cd5673b1bd0a271d929f04c8336.jpegimage.jpeg.fada513e2a7192efc6da966fba3cd9f4.jpegimage.jpeg.38d448990f01860f4e197f9a30f7e0d8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3e41022222bf8e5d5467d2a59526371f.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 24

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  Nice days but I won't be participating in any.  of them.  I am not really sure about the Camus quote.

I have not been to Ravenna (or to Venice). This is a great day in communications history,

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Apple Vichyssoise, Grilled Half Chicken with Peaches, and Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam December 12, 2013.

A cold day today.  Yesterday's PET scan was a mixed bag.  I hope to say more later but have some other priorities, personal and fire department for a while.

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich

& thank you Ann, Vanessa, Dixie & Debbie

Great collection of days.  All very enjoyable & very seasonal indeed.  I do have poinsettias in the house (out of Ivan’s reach to be safe) of course.  I enjoy ambrosia & gingerbread but not doing it for just me.  I like Camus’ quote.  For the meal suggestion, I’ll take the squash and pass on the curry & chickpeas.   We have been to Ravenna on the Elegant Explorer.  It was a port stop - not a means to get to Venice. I’ll do a dig and see if I have some digital pics I can share.  It really is worth a visit.

IMG_1320.jpeg.0cc616c5532c1dd9f055c0a0a1f13554.jpeg

The storm  is over and now it’s clean up time.  Our  power company has its hands full with repairs - still 19,000 homes without power (way down from last night)..  I have to go out and survey damage or other things on the ground.  So far, I have found 2 leaf guards that were pulled out of the eavestrough.  And, tore out yesterday when I saw a tree start to come down.  It’s caught in a branch of my Maple tree and I’m hoping it can hang on until my tree guy can get here.  He’s swamped of course and since this only poses damage to my garden or shed it will be lower priority than the huge ones that have come down on peoples’ homes.  It’s a skinny one, thankfully.

IMG_1324.thumb.jpeg.c6199cbbcf18cc91c38f22f1bd51a60f.jpeg

If I may a bit of Maritime ingenuity to share with you.  To get to the Kingston Peninsula (very close to here) you have to take a ferry.  Otherwise it’s a very long drive on flooded roads.  Most ferries were cancelled but these kept running.  One went empty to block the waves and the wind from the other one transporting the cars.  The waves were horrendous and it was a wet and Mal de Mer ride but they kept people from being stranded.

IMG_1794.thumb.jpeg.0bb40785c5089e1e0b8bc38f04d1f32e.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health problems, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1790.thumb.jpeg.76ca2f928bdee4fb717a02c0bf6f6409.jpeg

Have a good Tuesday everyone.

IMG_1316.jpeg.0e576892aaa03f69196beaef9852f4c7.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

Rich, thank you for today’s FR & D! I hope you know how much I appreciate everything you do. I admire your openness to posts that find fault or correct you, and I wish the poster would find a better way to let you know. Most of us know there are nice ways or even fun ways to let someone know a correction is needed. Ok vent over.

It is 45, dry, and no wind - yet. It is supposed to be windier than yesterday! I needed a couple of layers even in the full sun. It was almost comical when Bindi & I were out. I would unzip the windbreaker, when we were out of the wind’s reach & then zip it back up when the wind hit us. Even Bindi started looking at me as if I were nuts. 

IMG_2174.jpeg.6764d23db7728976c1885d6ab5d4b802.jpeg

Vanessa, I don’t know what meds your PCP will be prescribing, but I hope they help you sleep longer. And I am praying that the neurosurgeon can find a solution to your pain. 

Gym, Bindi walks, my Plummer is coming to fix my leaky faucet, and then celebrating the season with a group of friends at our local wine bar. 
IMG_2161.jpeg.c5ec931158f7480ee52bdb6625f7c092.jpeg

IMG_2194.jpeg.c784fdf5cc2efda37297944e19a18c21.jpeg

IMG_2195.jpeg.3d8aa5bce7299a6e7b29715e97a7d4cc.jpeg

IMG_2187.jpeg.a306449596f0e4ee982357a266d38ebf.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those suffering from debilitating pain or conditions, and grieving the loss of someone dear. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Rocco Del Dragone Aglianico Campania 2020

I used the 2020 vintage info, since this appears to be the most recently released. This lovely Italian red wine is rich, smooth and leaves a wonderful lingering finish. No harshness whatsoever. Many fans amongst consumer ranks. I enjoyed this by itself and with food.  Available from a decent number of distributors. Online prices start at 

$15.99.

Vintners notes

Deep ruby-red colour, with aromas and flavours of black cherry, blackberry, dark chocolate, coffee, pepper and mineral. Full bodied yet amazingly smooth and elegant. Best when served with meats, game and strong cheeses.

100% Aglianico

ALCOHOL: 13%

Selected low-yielding vineyards in the province of Avellino, in the Campania region of Southern Italy.

AGE OF VINES: In average 20 years old.

PLANT TRAINING AND DENSITY:

Cordon Spur. Approximately 4000 plants per hectare with a yield of 1.8 to 2.0 kg of grapes per plant.

Manual harvest occurs in late October, early November.

VINIFICATION:

After de-stemming, the grapes are not crushed, allowing them to remain intact, reducing damage to the skins and optimizing colour extraction. Fermentation takes place at a controlled temperature of 25°C for 10 days. Both remontage and delestage are carried out in the very early stages of fermentation in order to achieve soft extraction of aromas and gentle tannins. At each delestage a part of the pips is removed so by the 4th day of fermentation no pips remain, thus avoiding the harsh tannins that can be extracted from the pips. After the 6th day of fermentation, when the wine has reached an approximate alcohol level of 10%, the skins are completely removed. This is done to avoid the harsh and bitter tannins usually associated with this grape variety. After racking, malolactic bacteria are added to induce a second fermentation.

AGEING:

30% of the wine is placed in American barriques for 10 months.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 6

Good morning Daily-ites from the beautiful Rotterdam. We have a sea day today. Tomorrow is Jamaica mon. 🇯🇲 

We have been to Cinque Terre and hiked the trail above the towns. We stayed in Monterosso. A small boat transports you to each town. Beautiful. 

We walked through the market stalls in Limone and I bought a few fun things for my game girls back home.

I always have to smirk at the guys who have the tiny tool kits and swear they made every piece of jewelry on their table. 2 stalls down and different guy, same tool box, exact jewelry lol.

Last night's dinner was pretty good. I had liver, Allen wienerschnitzel. After dinner we watched football on the big screen at Lido. Another couple joined us for a nightcap.

Let's all pray really really hard today for those on our prayer list and perhaps a miracle will happen. God bless you.

• Like 32

Good Morning to all and thanks for daily and fleet reports.  Christmas themed days it seems; not a fan of gingerbread "stuff" but I do like to look at gingerbread houses.  I wish I could grow pointsettias but no go.  I do like the quote.  I think I would like the meal (but not tonight), pass on the drink (peach), the wine sounds interesting and never been to Ravenna.  Wow on the day in history!!

ScreenShot2023-12-12at05_48_57.thumb.png.1986e870f27759a37bef258333c32e7a.png

Another cold start to the day.  Presently 49F going up to 76F.  No precipitation on the horizon.  Dressing in layers is always a good bet here in the desert.  Received a call changing my appointment with the spinal surgeon AGAIN!  The time didn't work for me but was able to change it to a better time tomorrow.  I hope I get some answers.  

Off to sub HS English for a teacher I have subbed for before.  Yesterday was an easy day - 2 classes of PE.  Martina is still sticking to me like glue.  I have more cat hair on my clothes than I care to have!!

I am glad @57redbird surgery went well and @JazzyV gets a plan to deal with the pain issues.  Thoughts for the world and those on the care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.

ScreenShot2023-12-12at05_50_10.thumb.png.2295862f6f3d9c3ad9eff19e07119852.png

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

My appointments went well yesterday and happy to "see" there is no change in my eyes. My cataract doesn't need to be addressed yet. The snow has surprisingly stayed on the ground. People need to learn how to drive again in winter as I did pass a minor fender bender on my way to the eye doctor.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 30

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'll postpone the gingerbread decorating for about 8 or 9 days till we're with our family in Calgary.  Thanks for the idea of Ambrosia - will add that to the Christmas dinner menu; I'll bet the kids will really like it.  I do love pointsettias, however, having a cat in the house means either it has to be up high, or it just isn't safe for her.  Same goes for Easter lilies.

It's rather cool out there this morning at -13C (8F) with a bit of wind, but certainly not like yesterday, and definitely not like @kazu was experiencing.  Yikes on that!  Yesterday was a cold one for us and the wind gusts were really strong - I felt bad for anyone having to work outside, as it would have been very uncomfortable.  Speaking of wind - thanks @kazu for sharing the maritime story - what a great idea having one ferry provide shelter for the other.

Not much happening here today, just time to sort out what's going to be coming with us at Christmas, making a list of everything I have to take (we always provide Christmas dinner, so bring the turkey, and this year the littlest DGS has also requested ham), and the things to go with the meal.  DH has mentioned making a run to the Salvation Army to drop some things off that he's decided to give up from the garage.  I'm sure I could find things in the house as well, but not right now - I think that'll happen in the new year.

I saw this on FB this morning and thought it was important to share - so many are wanting to have the "perfect Christmas" that we forget that it's easy to have one without all the fuss.

DontNeed.thumb.jpg.87905036a463136bba646551db189d42.jpg

I'd like to try the drink of the day, would definitely appreciate the wine, but will do a drive-by of the menu suggestion.  Last night DH said we haven't had something in a long time, so it's looking like we'll be having toasted BLT's and tomato soup for dinner at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Nice days; pass on the meal (squash - no thanks), yes to the drink & wine; not been to the port; not sure about the quote; the history day is surely worth remembering. 

For gingerbread day, I offer some of the holiday bakework from last week on the Nieuw Statendam.

20231206_170727.thumb.jpg.bb54ed3461f34d28f4c82e7b2fa06dad.jpg

20231206_170650.thumb.jpg.f5f9d167e609c42673c0b683defd653f.jpg

20231206_170705.thumb.jpg.33c3e48386f0f50a33f823fc5a78fd96.jpg

20231206_170625.thumb.jpg.e435e14ba42f2507ff6805e7261846ff.jpg

Today is a trip to pick up Rx, PT (again ) and more work.

Currently chilly 37° headed to 66° with rain on Friday.

20231212_065328.thumb.jpg.74d6a15d881e351a8444209736884d40.jpg

Learned I am needed out of town for work in March same dates as my cruise, so I canceled it yesterday and hope to find an acceptable replacement. 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning,

It is an early start to the morning for me today. I had to have the exterminator out yesterday for an ant problem in my master bath. This seems a strange time of year for ants. He searched and could not find where they are coming from. He put some bait down along the baseboards and something at the back of the house. There are a few on the bait this morning so hopefully they will take it back to the mother ship and they will be taken care of. All I need is a house full of ants when I come back in April. 

My niece who went with me to the spa is definitely having FOMO about my upcoming cruise and wants to find time to come see me before I leave. There is no sense in my trying to talk her out of it as she can be very determined. It will push me to put finishing touches on my packing this week. I hope the price of airfare discourages her. I love her but she is intense. 

Vanessa I don’t know how you get so much done with the pain you have. Prayers the neurosurgeon can help with the pain. 

The list of upcoming cruisers is growing. Welcome to the new daily friends. I was a long time lurker before joining. 

Prayers for the care list. Everyone have a great day. 

• Like 30

Good morning. I have not been to the port and  remembered how much the teenager liked the ambrosia when I made it earlier in the year. Tonight’s dinner will be bean and cheese enchiladas as per his request. 
Thank you to @bennybear for your kind thoughts yesterday. 

I  am sending a picture of DS’s gingerbread house creations this

year. I hope the puppy can’t reach them.

Have a great day everyone.

IMG_2515.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.

Just checking in before my first appointment.

Not really happy with the blood test results yesterday.  Will see the doctor this afternoon to discuss the next steps.

Have mammogram this morning and then PCP this pm.

Going home tomorrow.

Will post more later.

Terri

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General info from all contributors.

RNB returns after three days at sea and able to go into Aruba for Wi-Fi. Celebrity Wi-Fi package still is two levels below sucking so getting on CC on ship is impossible. I think that they lay a 1000 miles telephone cable from the ship at PE to Aruba and it sounds like dial up when trying to get on the CC. 😳 I did make it to the sailaway on Sunday with my big hand wave. Stay tune for next update in Aruba as the Misses wishes to stroll into the crystal clear blue water!

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 27

Happy Tuesday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Sunny but chilly today. Typical December weather. 

Busy workday today. Setting up a practicum class today and grading assignments in two classes this morning. Seeing clients in the afternoon so I will be at my office today. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.a4af7a96e14a15fbb0b74d52a0dbb993.png

• Like 25