The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday, January 7th, 2024

kazu

Oh Annie @marshhawk I'm sorry but at first I had to giggle at the thought of you rolling out of Shari's car so she wouldn't have to stop!  Then I thought good grief!  What if you'd been run over by a rear tire?  I'm glad you lived to tell about it!  No more wishing for snow!  I forbid it!  

We like to eat our red skin potatoes with the skins on too, so don't peel them for mashing.  Same with potato salad.  Your BLT for lunch sounds good.  We have a tomato and plenty of bacon so maybe I will see what DH thinks about that idea.

Sorry to hear you've found so many injuries on Bubbles.  I hate to hear about the new vet's philosophy on caring for money more than his animal patients.  I hope you can get some help for poor Bubbles!

Back to the cow I'm cross stitching!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I debated whether or not to continue the travelogue after leaving Antarctica yesterday but decided I would do just one more day.  After this report we would have spent time in Montevideo, and departed the ship in Buenos Aires with a tour that day and being dropped off at the airport.  So this report will be the last.  

At sea from South Georgia Island to Montevideo, Uruguay Jan. 7-8, 2017 onboard Seabourn Quest

This will be an update on our progress towards Montevideo, Uruguay upon leaving South Georgia Island to stay ahead of a storm.  At first on the afternoon of the 6th the weather was sunny and nice with fairly calm seas.  But soon the waves grew, the wind howled and for about 36 hours we tossed and turned, rolling and pitching.  This lasted through the night and the entire day of Jan. 7th.  The 8th turned sunny with the temperature rising to 55 to 60 degrees so many people went outdoors to bird watch on the 8th.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

See the bird at the top?

We did what we usually do to stay busy.  I read and cross stitched with my friends.  DH went to a lecture and read his book, and of course we ate and drank which is what all good cruisers do.

We ate dinner in our cabin .  It seems many people decided to do so because there were two playoff games on TV on the 7th, Texas-Raiders and Seahawks-Detroit.  The next photo is the Card Room where snacks and drinks were set up for anyone who wanted to watch the football games somewhere other than in their suites.  As you can see watching TV in your suite wasn’t all that much of a hardship because we saw only two people in here when we walked by.   The TV was bigger in the Card Room, but you can’t stretch out in your PJs can you?

Here is our dinner one night at The Grill by Thomas Keller.  That is a specialty restaurant with no extra charge.  The most difficult part is getting a reservation as often as you'd like.  It's very popular and they would like to be able to serve each and every guest at least once on their cruise.  

I believe I ordered a Caesar salad which is prepared there in the dining room.  DH asked for the crab cake as his appetizer.

I have no idea what type of soup DH ordered but I order the jumbo prawns.  They were so large you had to use a knife and fork to eat them.

I ordered the Lobster Thermidor and DH asked for the filet mignon.  Looks delicious!

Turn your head Debbie @dfish!  It's carrots! 😐

And we shared this huge piece of chocolate cake.  Yum!  They must have felt sorry for DH since he didn't order his own dessert so they brought us 2 chocolate cookies, too.

After dinner we told our stewardess Michelle to forget the turndown.  She insisted on changing our wall clock back one hour and we exchanged towels with her.  That’s all.  She joked with us that we were too neat and there was nothing to do so I’m sure she didn’t find a huge mess in our suite the next morning.😇

We were given back our passports and noted a cool stamp from South Georgia Island to go with the Chilean naval base stamp from Antarctica.  Very exciting!  Next stop is Montevideo, Uruguay.  Unfortunately our cruise is rapidly coming to an end.  Where did the 24 days go?🤷‍♀️

Very interesting Antarctica adventure Sandi.

Thank you for sharing.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. Light dusting of snow this morning, still snowing lightly. Right at the freezing mark. I doubt it will accurate much on the roads. We have a birthday party later today. DGD turning 20 today (no more teens, she says) and her brother DGS turning 23 on Tuesday. Not sure where the time went. I quit my job to help babysit them both so DD could go back to work after her year maternity leave. 

prayers for those needing them, cheers to those celebrating. Sorry, but that cheer will be with ice water or a cup of tea as I am trying dry January. Wish me luck. 

Happy birthday to your DGD today.

• Like 11

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!

@grapau27Thank you for bringing us Father David each week.  I appreciate it.

@smitty34877How nice that "getting older" has its benefits.

@rafinmd DH found out that since his radiation appointments were early in the morning, if he didn't eat immediately after, his appetite would be gone all day.  Don't tire yourself out on Monday.

@Norseh2oCondolences on the passing of your mom.  She lived a long life, and she had great kids! I am glad that you and your family got to spend the last week with her.

The more Bubbles moves around on the porch, I notice more injuries on him.  Originally it was just the top of his head, then I noticed the terrible swollen infection under his chin, and yesterday, now that he in uncurling, a bite on his front leg.  I can only think that he was attacked and survived a coyote.  He is using the litter box, he is eating, and drinking water.  He is no longer trying to escape every time I open the door, and with the heater on the porch, it is a comfortable temperature.  He flinches when i try to pet him though, and I think if I can get him in a carrier, I will take him to our vet.  Our vet doesnt like to see strays, and this office now seems to be more interested in money that animals.  The original vet that I had been seeing since 1979 retired several years ago, and sold the practice to another vet.  A young woman that is sweet and wonderful with animals, but she took in another vet who is all about the money.  It makes it hard to get an appointment.  Everyone wants to see Dr. T, so often we have had to have Dr. P.

I am jealous of the snow fall that the north has received.  Our last good snow shut down Atlanta for a week. Shari drove me home from work, but was afraid to stop the car, so she drove through the parking lot of a church near my house, and while it was still in motion, I had to fall out.  It took her another hour to get to her home, and it was only 3 miles away.

How are mashed potatoes a meal?  Years ago someone told me that the nutrients were in the skin, so my potato salad has the skin, and if all i have are reds, then they get mashed with the skin.

Lunch today is a BLT.  So I am not waking DH early.  he will eat breakfast and not want lunch.

I hope that everyone has a relaxing day! 

image.png.9dc7f181eea7d0771ba9f0054a5ec779.png

Thank you @marshhawk.

I'm happy to post David's sermon for yourself and other Dailyites who appreciate it.

Father David also sends us all a message with his sermon each week.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone from Boston where our “snowstorm” was rain and a few flurries.  I guess it gave those weather casters something to gush about last week. Thanks for our daily dose of information!  Nice days to celebrate, I’ve about had it with this cold and I’m not going to take it anymore, I hope.  Maybe it’s because I’m feeling crappy today but the quote seems a little bleak.  The recipe sounds like a delicious side dish. The drink sounds nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those celebrating happy events and bon voyage to @kochleffel! 🍾🛳️

• Like 18

I like garlic mashed potatoes 🥔 😋 

The Harlem Globetrotters are talented and entertaining. I saw this during a recent tour of The Missouri 20240107_094332.thumb.jpg.4e210212321b1f7d0fde4782d99b2b59.jpg

Not been to today's port.

Currently 43° headed to sunny 61°, wet & chilly 45° next weekend.

Today is unpacking and finishing the LIVE review I did on my K'dam Hawaii cruise. There was a disappointing situation re dogs 🐕 onboard that I want to alert both HAL and CCL offices to, so I will also be drafting that communication. 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 20240107_093010.thumb.jpg.493d23aff25cde221baaa641da95e748.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a wet Quartzsite.  It is 45 F and raining.  We've received at least 0.11 inches, and the rain will continue for another couple of hours.  Then the wind will pick up and is predicted to reach 22mph.  As a precaution yesterday, I took the flags down and tried to get some of the patio furniture where the wind would not affect it too much.  We should see a high of 56F this afternoon. 

Sometime in the late 1950s, my father and I were fortunate enough see the Harlem Globetrotters play the Hardin Simmons University basketball team.  Naturally, all the locals were cheering HSU on, but they did not have a chance of winning.  This was during the time Wilt Chamberlain and Meadowlark Lemon were on the team.  I've always enjoyed watching them play and their amazing skills handling the basketball.

Mentors are a valuable part of our society, and I try to help people develop new skills.  I'm also working on not taking it anymore.

I think Anton Chekhov may have gotten things backwards.  Many cannot face a crisis, and from experience, those that can find that a crisis and stress can wear you out.

Slow cooker mashed potatoes sounds good, and at the suggestion of one of the Dailyites, I now make mashed potatoes in the pressure cooker.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Tunisia.

Galileo, who built his telescope, but didn't invent it, opened the skies for future astronomers.  I was surprised to learn the typewriter was patented in 1714, but not surprised to read it was not built until years later.  

A belated Welcome Home to @Ichiban Nekko, @AV8rix Susan, @Haljo1935 and @GTVCRUISER.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, safe travels for Ren and his mother today.  They should have good weather in Dallas and Frisco today.  Thank you for sharing your Antarctic adventures with us.

@grapau27  Graham, thank you for the explanation of I'm Not Going to Take It Anymore day.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, be careful shoveling the snow.  It looks very pretty in the picture, but I'm glad I'm not messing with snow anymore.

@GTVCRUISER  Were you on the Ruby Princess in early March 2016 on the Sea of Cortez cruise?  In one of my pictures of our tour to San Javier, there is a man who could be you.  All it shows is the person from the back, but the hat and shirt made both of us wonder if that could be you.

@dfish  Debbie, I've been adding sour cream and bacon bits to my mashed potatoes for years.  It gives them a boost.

@smitty34877  Terry, that was very nice of your neighbor to get some of his workers to shovel some of the sidewalks and driveway ends.  I'm sorry you lost your pictures of Tunisia.  I have mine on the computer and back them up on an external hard drive.  I still lost some when iTunes messed up my pictures after an update.  

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope your DH is not getting another cold, but if he is, I hope it's mild and short lived.

@Nickelpenny  Pennie, the rain is here and when our winds pick up, it will be headed your way.

@marshhawk  Annie, from you description it sounds like Bubbles is lucky to be alive.  I hope the vet will see him, but shame on the vet who puts money before patients.  That can also happen with human doctors.  Our PCP in Texas left a practice to set up his because the owner of the practice put payments first.  Now, our PCP's practice is thriving, and the other practice was bought out by a regional hospital but kept the doctor.

@Mr. Boston  I'm glad you made it home safely.  Hope you feel better soon.

415181866_3620294454922948_2308353978488767291_n.thumb.jpg.3d61f3b36e4db774f8cf780af70d5ff1.jpg

415510454_775045217994940_566441428151332909_n.thumb.jpg.0566d095c26f60d61edf7d3ec0224016.jpg

416025506_696279379357664_6077968343943379761_n.thumb.jpg.878a356e9ad3ed5905d20a4fab9a969d.jpg

416121768_879213637541018_1172244567349104939_n.thumb.jpg.889da2efd098da24f97f4ea3efbc01ca.jpg

417794884_685389640452378_6672964078539484605_n.thumb.jpg.6d8d18d35ba39e00f6c64d26a70534c9.jpg

415537442_771428375023253_6514742073730012093_n.jpg.c924bc36e5574ea8438f2d416b5bbee1.jpg

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 10

It’s still snowing here!  Started yesterday about 3pm. My weather app says we got 9” and are expecting another 2”. That’s more snow than I’ve seen since we left our New Mexico mountain home in 2021! Diesnt look like much from out 7th floor balcony,  I’m so glad we can just stay in!  Even if the power goes out I know we’ll be fine. IMG_2234.thumb.jpeg.843bf97f9a414194a4551c9ce8e5b765.jpeg

Sandi, I have so enjoyed your travels!  Thanks so much for sharing them.
And heartfelt thanks to all the others here, your presence, your supportive messages, tge beauty shared from all around the world is a great uplift!  

Thanks Graham for bring Fr David’s messages to us. And sweet thoughts for your mom and dad who brought you to us!  

Sending out blessings to you all! 
Hope, comfort, healing, safety!  
Congratulations to all celebrating, helping us remember Life is Good🌈
Smooth travels to all away, near and far!  Thanks for checking in and keeping us in your hearts!  
Maureen 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Forgot to mention mentoring…. 
I still call almost weekly to talk with the teenaged girls who were joining our fire dept while we were getting ready to move away. It was 2020 and COVID kept us from having monthly meetings. I started helping the girls understand the basic structure and processes of the fire department. We’ve continued our talks all through the older girl’s First Responder EMS certification training and beyond. It’s my chance to keep my initiatives progressing into the next generation, and to discuss their questions about their recent calls with guidance from my 19 yrs experiences. They are a great uplift to me sharing their enthusiasm!  I cherish the connection. m—

• Like 20

For the first time in our countless privately booked excursions the tour did not show at designated pick up spot. We are being reimbursed.

Plan B we have the ships pool just about to ourselves. No problemo!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone. I’m recovering well from having several tooth extractions. Thankfully no rain or snow today. Roy, good luck tomorrow My brother just went through the same treatment.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I’m recovering well from having several tooth extractions. Thankfully no rain or snow today. Roy, good luck tomorrow My brother just went through the same treatment.

Stay safe everyone.

I had one and can’t imagine several. Hugs. 

• Like 14

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily.

I'll salute the talent of the Harlem Globetrotters. As mentioned yesterday, mentors are important. I have mentored and I myself had 2 special ones. I will try to stand up for myself when needed; I used to be very shy, but have gotten over that a good bit. Not sure about the quote. Interesting side dish meal. Pass on the drink. The wine's a little pricey for me. I haven't been to Tunis. 2 good days.

It's 34F with light snow off and on; I don't think much accumulation. I took a Benadryl last night and got about 4.5 hours of sleep. Today I'm working on the contract for my restoration work. I also got a bill from the mitigation company, almost $1300, so I need to contact my insurance tomorrow as I thought they would also pay for that. Otherwise I might watch some football.

@kochleffel Bon Voyage!

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad DS and family had a good holiday and vacation together. Your travelogue has brought back great memories of my cruise in Antarctica.

@grapau27 I hope this anniversary of your late Mam and Dad's wedding brings back good memories for you.

@ottahand7 Thanks for the photos. Oh my on John getting a shower from the cleaners a deck above!

@rafinmd The day that will live in Infamy is Dec 7. Good luck with your radiation tomorrow.

@Crazy For Cats Be careful shoveling!

@aliaschief So sorry your tour guide didn't show!  Relax and enjoy the Azamazing Evening tonight.

@smitty34877 That was nice of your neighbor and his workers. I hope things are going a little better today.

@Sir PMP Thanks for the photo.

@superoma Happy Birthday to DGD, and to DGS a few days early!

@marshhawk Sorry to hear Bubbles has so many injuries. I hope you can get him to the vet. Wow on having to jump out of your friend's moving car!

@Cruzin Terri I hope you're doing ok.

@Mr. Boston I hope you feel better soon.

@RMLincoln I'm glad you can just stay in, with all that snow. 

@mamaofami I'm glad you're doing well after the extractions.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

Without my not even mentioning it to DH he told me we're having BLTs today, Annie @marshhawk.  Except no lettuce which is fine with me.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I'd be in the right hand lane doing the speed limit.  lol

Maureen @RMLincoln you are quite welcome.

Carol @mamaofami glad you are progressing well after your extractions.  I had four extracted once before I got my braces a long time ago.  Not the most fun I've ever had!

• Like 13

Good morning and thanks all!   We visited Tunisia and enjoyed seeing it, but declined the camel rides.   
I will salute mentors, have enjoyed playing that role for several colleagues.  Both benefit.  Condolences to @ger_77 on the loss of her mentor who helped shape her practice.  
@kochleffel Bon voyage!  
May you all enjoy the light as it grows daily.  

IMG_0142.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3