The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday, January 13th, 2024

kazu

Good morning from a frosty Pacific Northwest, 

It's 4F (not as bad as @ger_77 by any means but very cold for this part of the state. It didn't get up past 14F yesterday and today we may reach mid-20'sF. I had a hummingbird feeder popsicle as I forgot to bring it in. It's thawed now so it will go out when I'm moving a bit faster. 

Staying home and staying warm. Klutz moment this morning. My glasses fell on the floor from the dining room table, bend over to get them and caught my face on the dining room chair. A lump below my cheekbone and it's going down so I'm find but I'll probably have an interesting bruise. 

Nothing exciting today other than trying to get my craft room organized and get rid of things. There's always my counted cross stitch to work on and a jigsaw puzzle to do as well as the neighbor to come for tea (Murchie's Afternoon). 

Have a good day and stay warm and safe! 

Karen

• Like 27

7 hours ago, kazu said:

Today is Korean American Day, Make Your Dreams Come True Day, and National Peach Melba Day

Great days! May have to go to a Korean BBQ for lunch. 🇰🇷🍚🥢 But I don’t think they’ll have Peach Melba. 😉

• Like 20
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily.

I'll salute Korean Americans. I don't think I can make my dreams come true today; maybe another day. I haven't had peach melba in ages. Good quote. Yes to black bean soup. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Taiohae. The Nat'l Geographic Society is great. 

It's about 27F right now, and lightly snowing. Not much snow on the ground. Around 7AM I thought the house would blow away, as the wind was ferocious (it's solid brick, so not really)! The storm windows were rattling like crazy. I will be inside, although I'd like to bring my 2 small Christmas trees by the front door in. There are some power outages, but luckily I'm ok. No heat in this weather would be awful, and one would have to go elsewhere. I'm trying to slowly get non-furniture stuff out of my foyer, LR and DR. There's no where to put all the furniture when the floors get redone, so I think they'll have to do room by room rather than all at once. Also the contractor needs to come back on Monday to measure the broken radiator; he took photos but didn't measure. He's looking for antique ones, but mine is quite large. I'll be watching football later.

@kazu Thanks for starting us up. I hope your weather isn't too terrible.

@MISTER 67 Nice to see you posting. Sorry it's chilly there, but as you say, it's worse up north.

@puppycanducruise Glad you made it through. Be careful outside clearing snow.

@StLouisCruisers Lovely photos.

@cat shepard Thank you. I hope to hear something from the interventional radiologist next week. I'm taking so many pills right now, but if they help some, it's worth it. I'd like to try that wine.

@kochleffel Sorry you're feeling under the weather. I hope you're better soon.

@ger_77 Those wind chill temps boggle my mind! I'm glad the trip to the chiro helped your DH. 

@ottahand7 The delay in getting your meal in the PG is bad! Are they still understaffed?

@marshhawk It sounds like the new eye doctor has some good ideas for DH. I knew someone who had a weight put in her upper lid. One worry besides the tearing is if the lid can't close, and there's drying, a corneal ulcer can develop. I hope you get a work schedule that works for you.

@smitty34877 I remember as a teenager, the local paper having all the goings on. There was a write up about my graduating and going off to college.

@RMLincoln I hope you're able to safely get to DH's appointment. I too am not happy about the one game being on Peacock (like some were on Amazon Prime during the regular season); someone said they think eventually most games you'll have to pay to see (I won't!). 

@rafinmd Thanks for today's maps and the sunrise. 

@SanDiegian Good afternoon!

@Cruzin Terri Sorry about the cleaning lady not communicating with you, and about the bedroom floor. I hope you get it all sorted out. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Nice photos.

@Haljo1935 I hope you can get your heater working.

@Vict0riann Thanks for the photos.

@luvteaching Oh no! Did you put ice on it? I'm glad you're ok.

@HAL Sailer Thinking of you and DH.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast for those Celebrating.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

Good morning from the lovely Volendam!

It’s another lazy sea day as we head to Kiritimati tomorrow. Sadly we won’t be going to Fanning Island. Again the immigration authorities say they can’t get there for us.  The ship must have quite a collection of donations because the last cruise couldn’t make it there either. 😕

Last night was our first formal night (we’ve also had 1 dressy night). It was fun seeing all the sparkles, everyone was all decked out in their finest. 

IMG_1612.thumb.jpeg.f45ccbc3c7ad789ae75be92b3c888210.jpeg

IMG_1611.thumb.jpeg.75e996574c66305f05dff024610f0cfb.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Another cold day here in the Pacific NW.  11F all night and 16F now.  What happened to Global Warming?  Two days ago I put insulation on the outside faucets on my house and my rental house to keep them from freezing.  Hope it works.  Fortunately we had little snow and it is gone from the roads.  Didn't evaporate, as it has to thaw first for that to happen, but there is a word for when a solid turns directly to a gas but I can't think of it now.

While I will celebrate Korean/American Day, this is also a great day for Taiwan.  They just had their presidential election and the party that is for Taiwanese independence from Communist China prevailed.  We have been watching news from their on YouTube for the past three months and it is good that it is finally over.  In 2020, Sara went back to Taiwan for a month to vote.  She didn't think it was necessary this year and we will be there for awhile in March and April when we debark the 

Sojourn.

Ray

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Pass on the meal and drink, not been to the port.

Today is PT and prepare for the cold that's coming. Turned on heater yesterday and nothing happened - ugh.

Currently  45° headed to 63° dropping 40° tomorrow to a high of 23°. 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 

20240113_095012.thumb.jpg.b4051c3574d1ff2e3d8c6bb6b0a1e07f.jpg

I hope you get the heater working before the cold front arrives.  I'm glad we are in Quartzsite not Texas this winter.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites!  Will I make it on page 2 for a change?  Probably not...  I was up early to put out the hummingbird feeders, with new hand warmers attached, they were waiting for their breakfasts.  In 2016 we visited Nuku Hiva on Westerdam, we hit a lot of strange weather and ports were missed or changed, but we did make it to Nuku Hiva, and it was probably Jacqui who organized a wonderful jungle tour, with an interesting lunch and hike.  I'll see if I can post pictures today or if I have to change over to my phone.  

P1010503.thumb.JPG.38d9b7ee5fa313d2610c87c245aff9c8.JPG

P1010469.thumb.JPG.a32323ba08abdcf1ae432f264ab06241.JPG

P1030098.thumb.JPG.348f61b97b63b1483272fd3945e2ee25.JPG

P1030079.thumb.JPG.8aa107d5fb72ab9d161f11f0e2ab61ed.JPG

P1030087.thumb.JPG.f051e0182798f0d62dc0339e183a765e.JPG

P1010538.thumb.JPG.bb2cb828217ef45ba8d4620d1b269e91.JPG

An amazing day!  

P1030118.JPG

Ann, thanks for the pictures from Nuka Hiva.  It is a lovely island and very interesting away from town.  We were there before the locals realized they could sell tours to the ships, and were just at the tender pier offering tours.

54 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  I will celebrate 2 of the days but not peach melba (I do not like peaches unless they come from a can!).  True quote, the meal sounds delicious as well as the drink and wine.  Never been to the port and what a day for Microsoft.  I would read the National Geographic magazine and dream of far away places for most of my life.  My first sojourn from Riyadh was to Paris.  As I was standing on top of the Eiffel Tower I said to myself "Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be able to be here.  I have only seen these things in the National Geographic".  16 years later I have been very lucky in my career and life to see much, much more.  

IMG_4076.thumb.JPG.707b4e557b14fa2167389850b6353adf.JPG

I rarely can't sleep but last night it alluded me.  My mind was racing and I couldn't turn it off.  Consequently, I "slept in" until 0630 and the temp was ~33F.  Coffee made and then off to the gym.  I do my PT exercises there.  I was super sore before working out but I think the cold has something to do with it. I was told by the therapist to dial down on the weights and try to isolate certain muscle groups. I find myself not wanting to move but know I have to keep doing so.  Maybe that was why I was/am in a funk.  Oh well.

IMG_4075.thumb.JPG.286931644a0223d978d9a2ece4719ceb.JPG

Yesterday was interesting as I really had to implement "manage and engage instead of control" for one of the classes I was subbing for.  I only had 2 classes and one only had 2 students (Career Exploration).  We did a SWOT analysis and thank goodness I am VERY familiar with those!!  LOL!! Not sure if I would go back to the school though I am scheduled back there in the coming week.

My lease renewal just came in.  Not too much of an increase thank goodness.  In 7 1/2 years it has only gone up $300 so I think that is pretty good.  I like it here.

For those of you in the frigid weather, stay warm and safe.  Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

IMG_4074.JPG.c96d06a22f6c0ae806dbc74327a3f4c8.JPG

Pennie, I'm glad the lease renewal did not have a shocking rent increase.

37 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning from a frosty Pacific Northwest, 

It's 4F (not as bad as @ger_77 by any means but very cold for this part of the state. It didn't get up past 14F yesterday and today we may reach mid-20'sF. I had a hummingbird feeder popsicle as I forgot to bring it in. It's thawed now so it will go out when I'm moving a bit faster. 

Staying home and staying warm. Klutz moment this morning. My glasses fell on the floor from the dining room table, bend over to get them and caught my face on the dining room chair. A lump below my cheekbone and it's going down so I'm find but I'll probably have an interesting bruise. 

Nothing exciting today other than trying to get my craft room organized and get rid of things. There's always my counted cross stitch to work on and a jigsaw puzzle to do as well as the neighbor to come for tea (Murchie's Afternoon). 

Have a good day and stay warm and safe! 

Karen

Karen, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.  

19 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily.

I'll salute Korean Americans. I don't think I can make my dreams come true today; maybe another day. I haven't had peach melba in ages. Good quote. Yes to black bean soup. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Taiohae. The Nat'l Geographic Society is great. 

It's about 27F right now, and lightly snowing. Not much snow on the ground. Around 7AM I thought the house would blow away, as the wind was ferocious (it's solid brick, so not really)! The storm windows were rattling like crazy. I will be inside, although I'd like to bring my 2 small Christmas trees by the front door in. There are some power outages, but luckily I'm ok. No heat in this weather would be awful, and one would have to go elsewhere. I'm trying to slowly get non-furniture stuff out of my foyer, LR and DR. There's no where to put all the furniture when the floors get redone, so I think they'll have to do room by room rather than all at once. Also the contractor needs to come back on Monday to measure the broken radiator; he took photos but didn't measure. He's looking for antique ones, but mine is quite large. I'll be watching football later.

@kazu Thanks for starting us up. I hope your weather isn't too terrible.

@MISTER 67 Nice to see you posting. Sorry it's chilly there, but as you say, it's worse up north.

@puppycanducruise Glad you made it through. Be careful outside clearing snow.

@StLouisCruisers Lovely photos.

@cat shepard Thank you. I hope to hear something from the interventional radiologist next week. I'm taking so many pills right now, but if they help some, it's worth it. I'd like to try that wine.

@kochleffel Sorry you're feeling under the weather. I hope you're better soon.

@ger_77 Those wind chill temps boggle my mind! I'm glad the trip to the chiro helped your DH. 

@ottahand7 The delay in getting your meal in the PG is bad! Are they still understaffed?

@marshhawk It sounds like the new eye doctor has some good ideas for DH. I knew someone who had a weight put in her upper lid. One worry besides the tearing is if the lid can't close, and there's drying, a corneal ulcer can develop. I hope you get a work schedule that works for you.

@smitty34877 I remember as a teenager, the local paper having all the goings on. There was a write up about my graduating and going off to college.

@RMLincoln I hope you're able to safely get to DH's appointment. I too am not happy about the one game being on Peacock (like some were on Amazon Prime during the regular season); someone said they think eventually most games you'll have to pay to see (I won't!). 

@rafinmd Thanks for today's maps and the sunrise. 

@SanDiegian Good afternoon!

@Cruzin Terri Sorry about the cleaning lady not communicating with you, and about the bedroom floor. I hope you get it all sorted out. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Nice photos.

@Haljo1935 I hope you can get your heater working.

@Vict0riann Thanks for the photos.

@luvteaching Oh no! Did you put ice on it? I'm glad you're ok.

@HAL Sailer Thinking of you and DH.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast for those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I hope the contractor can find the right radiator in good working order.  I hope your power continues to stay on during the storm.  Ice on power lines with high winds can cause galloping lines which lead to downed lines and power outages.

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning from the lovely Volendam!

It’s another lazy sea day as we head to Kiritimati tomorrow. Sadly we won’t be going to Fanning Island. Again the immigration authorities say they can’t get there for us.  The ship must have quite a collection of donations because the last cruise couldn’t make it there either. 😕

Last night was our first formal night (we’ve also had 1 dressy night). It was fun seeing all the sparkles, everyone was all decked out in their finest. 

IMG_1612.thumb.jpeg.f45ccbc3c7ad789ae75be92b3c888210.jpeg

IMG_1611.thumb.jpeg.75e996574c66305f05dff024610f0cfb.jpeg

Carolyn, I'm sorry you will be missing Fanning Island.  With all the times ships have missed that island, maybe it should be omitted from itineraries.  I think you will enjoy Kiritimati (Christmas Island).  We've been there at least three times.  Locals will give tours in the back of their pick-ups, and it's a good way to see the island.  I just hope no tenders run aground if it's low tide.  That has happened.

14 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Another cold day here in the Pacific NW.  11F all night and 16F now.  What happened to Global Warming?  Two days ago I put insulation on the outside faucets on my house and my rental house to keep them from freezing.  Hope it works.  Fortunately we had little snow and it is gone from the roads.  Didn't evaporate, as it has to thaw first for that to happen, but there is a word for when a solid turns directly to a gas but I can't think of it now.

While I will celebrate Korean/American Day, this is also a great day for Taiwan.  They just had their presidential election and the party that is for Taiwanese independence from Communist China prevailed.  We have been watching news from their on YouTube for the past three months and it is good that it is finally over.  In 2020, Sara went back to Taiwan for a month to vote.  She didn't think it was necessary this year and we will be there for awhile in March and April when we debark the 

Sojourn.

Ray

Ray, I'm glad Taiwan did not cave into China's pressure.  We enjoyed our day in Keelung and Taipei.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Nickelpenny said:

I was super sore before working out but I think the cold has something to do with it. I was told by the therapist to dial down on the weights and try to isolate certain muscle groups. I find myself not wanting to move but know I have to keep doing so.  Maybe that was why I was/am in a funk.  Oh well.

Pennie, I talked to my physio as I have been more sore as of late and she said that with the deep cold, your muscles tighten up making things harder and more painful.  I guess the key is to stretch and warm up first.  In case it is of help.

32 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Sadly we won’t be going to Fanning Island. Again the immigration authorities say they can’t get there for us.  The ship must have quite a collection of donations because the last cruise couldn’t make it there either. 😕

We never got there either, Carolyn and our roll call had a ton of donations.  the ship announced they would find a ship going there so the people would get the donations.  Before the end of the cruise, they advised that no ship was planned that could get there for sure so the donations went to another island in need.

I’m sorry you have to miss it 😔

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Today is PT and prepare for the cold that's coming. Turned on heater yesterday and nothing happened - ugh.

Oh dear 😔. You need that heat!  I hope you can get it fixed and working FAST.  🤞 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Internet is out.  It has been for quite some time.  I get a credit if it is out 4 hours or more, so expecting it back on momentarily.  Power still on, thankfully.  We are watching Apollo 13, to be followed by The Sound of Music.

• Like 26

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a cold for us, but warm for those on the frozen tundra, Quartzsite.  It is currently 36F but feels like 33F.  Our predicted high is 61F, which is more like our typical winter weather.  This afternoon, I think I'll clean up the small branches that fell from the ironwood tree earlier this week.  I might also rake the rocks in some areas.

I will celebrate the Korean Americans today.  After the last few years, we are beginning to make our dreams come true.  It's been a while since I had peach melba, and I hope they have it on the Koningsdam later this month.

Steve Jobs had it right with today's quote.

I like black bean soup, but DH is not a big fan, although he likes the Cuban black beans and rice I make.  We may just finish those leftovers tonight.  We'll pass on the drink, but I would like to try the wine.

We have been to Nuka Hiva twice, and I'll look for my pictures next.

The National Geographic Society has done a lot to open the world to others.  Also, an interesting day in the history of Microsoft.

@kazu  Jacqui, the advice to southerners on how to drive in snow and ice is good advice.  We get so little snow in the South and in most of Texas, that no one who hasn't lived in the north knows how to drive in those conditions.  We've seen an ice storm shutdown Wilmington, NC, and the surrounding area for a week until it warmed up enough to melt the ice.

@kochleffel  Paul, I hope you feel better soon.  I'm glad the test was negative, but please retest in a day or two since it can take time for a positive result to appear.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad the adjustment helped your DH.  I'm also happy you will be staying inside today with that bitter cold temperatures.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope The Beast behaves for Sue today.

@smitty34877  Terry, I inherited a couple of boxes of newspapers from my father, not just the clippings.  Some are so old, they are beginning to deteriorate.  Several years ago, I scanned the relevant articles into the computer.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the eye doctor can help your DH without having to resort to another surgery.  It's a shame the last surgery went too far.

@Cruzin Terri   Terri, I can't believe the floor still needs repairing.  I don't blame you for not wanting the same guy to come back.

418443444_10159257192316431_1814777202702859980_n.thumb.jpg.f1166dcb65c8bd66fef229868a9bf894.jpg

419008341_381985674312891_6735959041446196949_n.jpg.0bfba052f7d3c984aa7988d1ab393b39.jpg

419044824_334927572791251_4662248128929830408_n.jpg.08b372544e2bcbc905890d610df252b5.jpg

419051099_341842942034492_8717126490701178556_n.jpg.6d4c89a216c572744b3ccb0372ee8e9e.jpg

419394261_334670712816937_6251706437207854063_n.jpg.3fecc776db32e94ef5327e5967b17a0e.jpg

419128697_10160743675825100_1752898920264004932_n.jpg.bacc2a07815e03a61730f984ccc6b095.jpg

Lenda

I hope this is not too political. I would like to see a couple of those climate activist glue themselves to that crappy painting!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

We enjoyed our morning lectures by our Naturalist Nigel on Hummingbirds and another on geology, climate and earthquakes. Now enjoying a leisurely after noon outdoors on the partial promenade and its soft cushioned sun loungers. They tend to induce naps.

our stowaway rare bird I forgot what Nigel Marven called it but it’s drawn a lot of attention and pics. Even our Captain came down to photograph.

Tomorrow at 1:30 we’ll be introducing the Pollywags as we cross the equator. Beautiful day on a smooth ocean.

We love our sea days.

image.thumb.jpeg.51b1124b14707acde50e2cf2f9ffc4b8.jpeg

• Like 23

1 hour ago, highscar said:

@USN59-79i have outside taps and the sure way to make sure they don’t freeze is to turn them on then shut the valve inside the house.  Every fall for the winter.  

That makes sense for Ontario.  Since we have this kind of weather about once every ten years, most outside faucets don't have their own separate shut off valve.

Ray

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just dropping by to catch  up  with  everyone. I think the Volendam will have to find another place to off load  all  the  donations  meant  for Fanning  Island. Last I  heard  it was 19 boxes.

I am not missing the weather  in Durango! Heavy snow and cold . Neighbors  assured me all is well so onward to Christmas Island...anyone else  remember the old song?

.Susan 

• Like 19

I’m pretty sure that this is just the beginning of a cold. I went back to bed after breakfast and slept until 11:00, then dressed again and went to the espresso bar so that my steward could have access to the room. After that I had a light lunch in Two70 and read in my room.

I’m conflicted about dinner. I would consider room service, except that the MDR hosts would think that I was miffed about the mixup last night. I had asked to be seated at the same stations every night, and last night they couldn’t do it. Apparently the British theme drew a lot of people away from the Windjammer, although there were enough other two-tops. They fell all over themselves apologizing, and later one even followed me to the elevator to apologize some more.

I mentioned before that there were complaints on CC about the new menus and small portions. I haven’t seen that they are smaller than in 2019 or 2022, and the portions of some of the theme items have been huge.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Biopsy results are in. Basal cell carcinoma. I’ll call on Monday and make an appointment for March for Mohs surgery. Not a big worry. But thank you all for your concern.

Oh Dixie, I am so very sorry 😢 

I hope the Mohs  surgery can take care of it all 🙏 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh Dixie, I am so very sorry 😢 

I hope the Mohs  surgery can take care of it all 🙏 

Thank you Jacqui, I'm sure it will.  I've had that surgery before.  Should have stayed out of the sun when I was young.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Thank you Jacqui, I'm sure it will.  I've had that surgery before.  Should have stayed out of the sun when I was young.

Except when I was forced to be in the sun, such as summer camp, I did stay out of it.

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Except when I was forced to be in the sun, such as summer camp, I did stay out of it.

I was the opposite - slathered myself in oil like a Thanksgiving turkey. Glad we know better, wish we'd learned sooner.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I was the opposite - slathered myself in oil like a Thanksgiving turkey. Glad we know better, wish we'd learned sooner.

In that vein, there are a lot of sunburned Australians on this cruise. Why would a person come all the way from Australia to get sunburned?

• Like 11

Still no internet.  Spectrum assures me that service will be restored as soon as possible, but they don’t know if a crew has been assigned or if Sue and I should go out and search for the problem ourselves.  That might be the quicker solution.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I’m pretty sure that this is just the beginning of a cold. I went back to bed after breakfast and slept until 11:00, then dressed again and went to the espresso bar so that my steward could have access to the room. After that I had a light lunch in Two70 and read in my room.

I’m conflicted about dinner. I would consider room service, except that the MDR hosts would think that I was miffed about the mixup last night. I had asked to be seated at the same stations every night, and last night they couldn’t do it. Apparently the British theme drew a lot of people away from the Windjammer, although there were enough other two-tops. They fell all over themselves apologizing, and later one even followed me to the elevator to apologize some more.

I mentioned before that there were complaints on CC about the new menus and small portions. I haven’t seen that they are smaller than in 2019 or 2022, and the portions of some of the theme items have been huge.

Paul, my how times have changed, and now we are all relieved that someone turns out to just have a cold.  I hope it's mild and you are feeling better soon.

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Biopsy results are in. Basal cell carcinoma. I’ll call on Monday and make an appointment for March for Mohs surgery. Not a big worry. But thank you all for your concern.

Dixie, I'm sorry the biopsy was positive, but Basal cell carcinoma, while concerning, is the lesser of three evils.  

24 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

DH and I have commented a lot lately that we used to use tanning oil and now it's sun screen.  So far, we've been lucky and the small lesions were caught early.  I had MOHS on one place under my eye near my nose, and the dermatologist was nice enough to say I wouldn't see the scar because he made the incision in a wrinkle.  The other suspicious places were frozen off before they were a problem.

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

Still no internet.  Spectrum assures me that service will be restored as soon as possible, but they don’t know if a crew has been assigned or if Sue and I should go out and search for the problem ourselves.  That might be the quicker solution.

Debbie, if you and Sue do go look for the problem, be sure to keep track of your time and travel, and send them a bill for services rendered.

I got a lot done besides raking the rocks and picking up small branches.  I also trimmed more of my neighbors bushes that were hanging over the fence and dropping flowers and leaves in the rocks.  I also had a nice visit with a neighbor who I hadn't seen yet this year.  She does  not have much free time as she is her bedridden brother's caretaker.

Lenda

• Like 16

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Prayers 🙏 for a successful surgery. 

• Like 12

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Yesterday was a day I'm glad to have behind me.  I'll get to the whole saga in due tim

Friday was a day that I would happily forget.

It started very early with a minor nose bleed that was quickly controlled.

I left home about 7:15 to be ready for my 8AM annual physical with a checkin time of 7:45.  When I arrived the door was locked with no sign of life.  After waiting a bit I went to the practice main office.  Apparently, the doctor had an emergency and would not be in the office until the 18th.  It may actually be a good thing that it didn’t happen.

I was back at my car just about 8.  I should have had plenty of time for my weekly Friday run to Wegmans.  As I got to the car my nose started to bleed again.  After a few minutes I thought it was quieted enough to be ok for the trip to Wegmans.

At Wegmans it was still bleeding but after about 15 minutes I thought I was ok finally.  I got my groceries relatively quickly but when I checked in the car I was still bleeding.  Another wait to get it under control.

Once home I just got the groceries to my front porch and headed into the house, and spent another hour on bleeding control, still with no luck.

By 11 I did the minimum to stow the groceries and decided I could not risk more futile efforts to stop it so I did the minimum to stow the groceries and headed off to my usual urgent care place.  They tried for over an hour and finally pushed a device up the nostril and I was headed home about 12:30.

I had just a quick lunch before I had to head off to Radiology.  Fortunately, that and the followup with the doctor went more or less normally, but I was quite wasted by the time I got home and dozed off before 8, getting out of my recliner about 10;30 to head to actual bed.

The urgent care said the device should stay in overnight and I should be able to remove it myself but to return if it did not come out easily.  I waited until after my morning walk and the urgent care opening to make the attempt but fortunately it did come right out.  It was sort of a sponge that expanded to fill the nostril attached to a couple of strings secured with tape.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 14