P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Supporters of President Trump who gathered today to protest the election results have breached the US Capitol, breaking through temporary barriers and entering the building.

Photos show protesters now outside the Senate chamber, where lawmakers are gathered to confirm election results.

edit - sorry about going off topic, i am horrified how fragile democracy can be 😨

Well another day gone well in Stoke on Trent. 🙂 We plough on amidst the storm at home and work 🙂 

Well done to all of the children, staff and parents across the country who are working together to make this all work for schools and their communities either in school or at home 🙂

Re the US -- and you think we are in a mess. I do feel for our American cousins .... 

PS Me dinner is noon, me tea is about 5pm or later (Now about 7.30pm) and me supper is about 9pm and probably later like  10pm  😉 

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'd be interested to know the titles of your books Phil. Some of our Yorkshire words are actually from the Vikings. The word 'laike' is an old Norse word meaning to play. 

Avril

I never knew that about Yorkshire, The knights templar of Yorkshire can be bought on Amazon, this site is great for Norse words and how they have been included in Yorkshire speak.

List of Yorkshire dialect words of Old Norse origin (viking.no)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Beeb are providing a live video feed, currently paused because of the objection to Arizona's result being debated. Insanity is spreading.

I watched it for a while too. Did you hear Katty Kay's Freudian slip? She meant to say President Trump and said President tweet😆 Loved it.

Avril

• Like 1

DH was just watching the events in Washington.  He saw a BBC live interview with a Republican Congresswoman (over the net) who is holed up in there.  The Congresswoman twice said she was "**ss*d off " live on TV!  Katty Kay apologised to the BBC viewers for the strong language.  Any re run will be "bleeped" so I missed that, sadly.

If that is the response from the Republicans it must say a lot.  It is a wonder there has not been widespread violence.  The US do have many problems at present.

47 minutes ago, tring said:

DH was just watching the events in Washington.  He saw a BBC live interview with a Republican Congresswoman (over the net) who is holed up in there.  The Congresswoman twice said she was "**ss*d off " live on TV!  Katty Kay apologised to the BBC viewers for the strong language.  Any re run will be "bleeped" so I missed that, sadly.

If that is the response from the Republicans it must say a lot.  It is a wonder there has not been widespread violence.  The US do have many problems at present.

They certainly have, and they are trying very hard to get rid of their biggest one.

Avril

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Have you tried curry powder it does work and I brought some stuff from home bargains to deter cats and dogs of my front garden stones it does work and smells a bit garlicky but when it rains you have to replace it all 

Our neighbour uses Lion poo on his flower beds to deter the local cats!

• Like 1

I’m sorry every time I miss a couple of days I miss too much to catch up on!

It’s been mostly cold and rainy here in Kent this week to add to the gloom.

I’ve put my vaccine story in the vaccine thread, just wish my parents would get called! 

My poor husband still working as normal, still getting up at 4.45am to get the food sorted for the shops! How he wishes he was on furlough!! I think he’d go mad actually he likes being active. He’s got this weekend off though - hmm what shall we do?!

Shout out to everyone involved in home schooling and the very many great teachers. I have a friend who is 65 and her son and two grandsons live with her aged 7 and 5. She is stressed out already with the home schooling. I’ve told her not to be so hard on herself and teachers train for many years. She’s so anxious though.

Hard times for all.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Shout out to everyone involved in home schooling and the very many great teachers. I have a friend who is 65 and her son and two grandsons live with her aged 7 and 5. She is stressed out already with the home schooling. I’ve told her not to be so hard on herself and teachers train for many years. She’s so anxious though.

Hard times for all.

I have the deepest sympathy with your friend, during the first lockdown I went to my niece's house when she had to go to work initially and then for cancer treatment after she was diagnosed.  I did the home schooling with her children and it was extremely stressful.  I am reasonably well educated but having a degree in French and a masters in computing did not help me at all because everything is so different than it was when I was young.

I worry about the families who are living in poverty and have difficulties with the home schooling because they don't have laptops or tablets because so much of the work that they are expected to do requires some technology.  The BBC had an item where they were talking to poorer families, one of which had 1 mobile phone which the 6 children had to use for 1hour each to do their school work during lockdown.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have the deepest sympathy with your friend, during the first lockdown I went to my niece's house when she had to go to work initially and then for cancer treatment after she was diagnosed.  I did the home schooling with her children and it was extremely stressful.  I am reasonably well educated but having a degree in French and a masters in computing did not help me at all because everything is so different than it was when I was young.

I worry about the families who are living in poverty and have difficulties with the home schooling because they don't have laptops or tablets because so much of the work that they are expected to do requires some technology.  The BBC had an item where they were talking to poorer families, one of which had 1 mobile phone which the 6 children had to use for 1hour each to do their school work during lockdown.

Yes it’s shocking isn’t it, in the first lockdown I think many people just sort of put up with it but with it going on for so long now they are really struggling. As you say disadvantaged children will probably suffer the most. 

• Like 1

I often stop and think who isn't suffering in some way at present; I guess only the really rich and healthy.   Visualising the lives of others is a salutary experience; I  often think about the 'pickers' working at night in the supermarket to pack my order for the next day; they can't work from home, and are probably not very well paid.  Plus of course all the others, teachers, dustbinmen, night time cleaners, etc. etc.  And anyone who has to use public transport.  Makes me feel quite lucky.

We keep thinking things can't get any worse.  Not so sure now, and the debacle in the USA is awful but at least it is not our debacle. Hopefully at the end of January they will be on a more even keel.

• Like 11

I am a former teacher and wonder how my daughter (and others) manage to cope with home schooling, particularly if you have several children! Not only have parents/carers got to try to 'teach' they have to cope with possibly reluctant children who may not see why they have to do 'school' work when not at school (this applies to one grandson who is Autistic), look after other children whilst teaching an individual child and manage to get everything else they had got planned to do as well!Some are having to take unpaid leave or work in the evenings when the children are in bed.Have to say that I am very impressed with the work one grandsons teacher has sent for him to do and I do agree with closing schools for the time being

• Like 5

Really cold here today but as I am sat having my coffee there is lots of blue sky coming over and the sun is coming out. Going to take dogs out after coffee. Lots of birds coming down to feed in the garden as well

Michelle 

• Like 3

I think today is our coldest day so far, but bright blue sky and sunny. There's still frost on some of the cars and I don't expect it will thaw in the back garden as it doesn't get much sun at this time of year. Just very quiet all around, no birds only noise is from trains passing.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I am a former teacher and wonder how my daughter (and others) manage to cope with home schooling, particularly if you have several children! Not only have parents/carers got to try to 'teach' they have to cope with possibly reluctant children who may not see why they have to do 'school' work when not at school (this applies to one grandson who is Autistic), look after other children whilst teaching an individual child and manage to get everything else they had got planned to do as well!Some are having to take unpaid leave or work in the evenings when the children are in bed.Have to say that I am very impressed with the work one grandsons teacher has sent for him to do and I do agree with closing schools for the time being

It’s all challenging isn’t it! My daughter is in school every day trying to do live lessons. She says that there’s a huge difference in ‘attendance’ between the top and bottom sets. The top set students mostly ‘attend’ and do the work but it’s a struggle to get lower ability 14 year olds to engage properly. Of course, that’s how it is too when they’re actually in school, but the new arrangements make it even worse. The lessons also tend to be very ‘samey’. There’s no banter, no group work, little assessment for learning, few opportunities to praise etc. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

It’s all challenging isn’t it! My daughter is in school every day trying to do live lessons. She says that there’s a huge difference in ‘attendance’ between the top and bottom sets. The top set students mostly ‘attend’ and do the work but it’s a struggle to get lower ability 14 year olds to engage properly. Of course, that’s how it is too when they’re actually in school, but the new arrangements make it even worse. The lessons also tend to be very ‘samey’. There’s no banter, no group work, little assessment for learning, few opportunities to praise etc. 

I am very glad I retired from teaching some time ago although I still take a keen interest. It saddens me at the moment that online learning, brilliant as some of it is, especially that streamed live, does not seem to be able to make use of other sources and resources such as artefacts and text books and just the positive atmosphere and experience of companionship in joint learning. I guess there is no other way but it cannot be easy for anyone involved, including the students. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

We keep thinking things can't get any worse.  Not so sure now, and the debacle in the USA is awful but at least it is not our debacle. Hopefully at the end of January they will be on a more even keel.

I sincerely hope so. The pictures coming from America are unbelievable and shocking, the world's going mad!! Unfortunately, once you stir a hornet's nest it's difficult to stop it, and some  of his hardline supporters will carry on as long as he keeps up the rhetoric whether in or out of the White House. I'm probably way off the mark here, but when you see what happened yesterday I worry for Joe Bidens safety.

Avril 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I am very glad I retired from teaching some time ago although I still take a keen interest. It saddens me at the moment that online learning, brilliant as some of it is, especially that streamed live, does not seem to be able to make use of other sources and resources such as artefacts and text books and just the positive atmosphere and experience of companionship in joint learning. I guess there is no other way but it cannot be easy for anyone involved, including the students. 

Exactly. I love the feeling you get after a really good lesson in which the pupils have responded positively and made demonstrable progress. My daughter is in her first year of teaching, and is very enthusiastic. Sadly, very few of her friends have entered teaching and it’s no wonder that the drop-out rate is so high (something like one in six after just one year I think).  It can look like an easy job from the outside but the reality is quite different. Having said that, it’s a fairly secure job so who knows, more students might consider it in these uncertain times. I only do supply now as I have other work, but I decided last March not to accept any offers due to my ‘advanced’ age!  However, if I’d had the vaccine, I would go in again.

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I think today is our coldest day so far, but bright blue sky and sunny. There's still frost on some of the cars and I don't expect it will thaw in the back garden as it doesn't get much sun at this time of year. Just very quiet all around, no birds only noise is from trains passing.

We have very similar weather but no shortage of birds, in cold weather apart from the bird feeders we always throw Apple's on the ground.

We have lots of ground feeding Birds like Blackbirds and Fieldfare plus our usual Robins, Wrens, Starlings, Doves ect. 

It costs quite a bit every week but they give us plenty of pleasure in return.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3

I have found a great way to spend a lot on birdseed - our feeder is right by the birdbath, and we now have three male pheasants in the garden one of whom, at least, has found a way of getting up on to the birdbath and eating from the seed feeder.    They get through a feeder full in a couple of days, and the poor tits, finches and robin don't stand a chance.

It’s a beautiful sunny afternoon, now that this morning’s fog has been burnt off.  It’s still very cold but thankfully no wind, so it’s comfortable enough if properly dressed and shod.

It’s very quiet here, I’m pleased to report

After watching CNN last night I’m finding it a bit difficult to find a wise or positive thought for today.  Let’s try the catch-all

It’ll be alright in the end and if it’s not alright it’s not the end

• Like 3