Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

My condolences to Bonnie @Bonteachesfor the loss of your dear friend   My thoughts and prayers are with you.  And for @sgmn ‘s grandson Isaac and for your recovery from Covid.

This morning’s gift to us as we approach our day in Waterford(Dunmore), Ireland

IMG_9108.thumb.jpeg.6298318b4996f043e8422c6bea19543b.jpeg

IMG_9105.thumb.jpeg.d80a81f13551ea36be30fd9b92311b53.jpeg

While I enjoy seeing cruise pictures, after all , this is CC and it is about cruising.

But I looked at this picture, and said, wait, we have been there.

Sometime in 2019, probably in April, my wife called out from the livening room, "I want to go on a cruise". Well, she does that.  So I look at cruises from FLL, nothing. Sane with MIA, even PC.  But, I looked at TPA, and yelled back, "found one". May 4th, TPA to AMS, 15 nights, stoops in Azores, 2 in Ireland (of course  Waterbury), Belgium, and finally AMS.

Now we had done, I think 7 TA cruises, all west bound, because I did not want to fly back from Europe. And most of those cruises embarked  from BCN. And most of the flights to BCN connected through AMS. Been to the airport, not the city.

Wife fully approved. 

Booked a hotel thru an online booking site, Air2sea flight back to TPA , and we were good to go. And we did go the bank and got some Euro's.

While we don't remember what we did in Waterford, some sort of ship tour, the other stop was in Cobh. Had no plans, but I said to DW  that it would be good if we could find a drugstore.  

There is a train station right next to the dock, and the train goes to Cork. So off we went. 

Now in Cork, how the hell do you find a drugstore. As sometimes happens , this really nice lady sees us looking confused, and asks what are you looking for. Drugstore. She says, "I am my way to work, I will show you". Thank God we are in an English speaking country, the only language we speak. Well, except DW wanted Tylenol. Nope. Acetaminophen. nope.   paracetamol . bingo. Thanks to our Canadian friends for that one.  Things you learn on CC.

We have looked for drugstore in Spain, and that is a challenge.

That little excursion will be one we will always remember.

• Like 9

@BonTexasNY Bonnie-I am sending you my sincere sympathy for the loss of your dear friend, Cheri.

You are fortunate to have had her as a friend and memories can not be taken from us.

You are absolutely right about connecting with friends and loved ones.

I am hoping that you will have kindness in your day today.

Take care-

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your kind words @FromSea2ShiningSeaHelen,  @sgmnSue and glad Isaac is home where he belongs, 

@MJSailorsMary, @LionesssSue

Let me tell you what just happened.  Jack has a 3pm dentist appointment that he can't cancel.  He has a bad tooth with bacteria and it has to be worked on today.  No other time frame available.  So, I was either going to Uber to the memorial or Jack would have gone with me and we would have to cut out after 1 hour.  So, his dentist JUST texted to ask if he can move his appointment to 4pm!   I firmly believe Cheri had a hand in this to be sure we both could attend without worries. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

My girls were in Lancaster Pa for a few days and brought me this!  It’s filled with Dum Dums😁IMG_1922.thumb.jpeg.650ffa059f54cbaf9e87b62e6c2581c1.jpeg

I guess I had a deprived childhood. Or have been living under a rock. I had no idea what is a Dum-Dum. 

Yep, I looked it up. It's possible I've had it in the past but the name never "stuck" with me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

My girls were in Lancaster Pa for a few days and brought me this!  It’s filled with Dum Dums😁IMG_1922.thumb.jpeg.650ffa059f54cbaf9e87b62e6c2581c1.jpeg

Dum Dums have been around forever! Love them. I fondly remember them from my childhood in the 70’s, and both my bank and dry cleaners still keep a basket on the counter.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

My heart is heavy today.  I found out this morning that one of my closest TX friends passed away suddenly a few days ago. Recently, she laughed when I told her she was a new friend of mine, of only 20 years.

She was found on the floor by a friend who had her key.  She was rushed to the hospital and passed away 3 days later. The friend who found her did not have my contact info but she was able to call someone who alerted me today. 

The only chronic ailment she had was asthma (that I knew of).  I have no idea what the cause of death was but it really doesn't much matter.  She's gone forever. Tomorrow is a memorial service for her.  In life, she chose to be cremated when the time came, as was her husband a few years ago.  They had no children and doted on their nieces, nephews and their grandnieces and grandnephews. They were world travelers after retirement from gov't careers.  They also visited every single U.S. presidential library.   Asia, Scandanavia, Australia, France were their playgrounds.  True cultural history buffs. I love you Cheri. I'm devastated. I'll miss our many phone calls, our laughter, our yummy lunches.  YOU were the ultimate mah jongg queen. I'll miss you forever.

If you have a good friend you haven't spoken to in awhile, give her/him a call and smile together.

I knew this was a safe place to come in and "talk".

I’m so sorry. Hopefully Cheri didn’t know it was happening. 
Losing dear friends is so painful, and as we age, we lose more and more of them. 
Keep the good memories close and Cheri will still be with you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@BonTexasNY Bonnie-I am a firm believer that our loved ones remain with us after their passing.

Cheri did have a hand in your plans today.

Often, I call on my “team” to help me with something or to send up

my worries and/or love to them.

My team is my Mom,Dad, a well-grounded priest and a dear friend who was a treasured classroom aide of mine.

They have helped me get through some tight spots, always.

In my faith we would call your Cheri your guardian angel.

Your friendship continues.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@mo&fran Your post reminded me of something that happened when I went to Ireland with my parents after graduating college in 1974.

We were driving one day in the Irish countryside and stopped at a type of convenience store as my Mother wanted some cookies for a snack.

I went into the store and asked where I could find cookies.

The person behind the register looked perplexed.

I described a cookie and she then realized that I wanted a pack of biscuits.

Lesson learned!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I guess I had a deprived childhood. Or have been living under a rock. I had no idea what is a Dum-Dum. 

Yep, I looked it up. It's possible I've had it in the past but the name never "stuck" with me.

You are not the only one.I have no idea what that is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Lisa, Owen and I went out to the Keg the other night. 

IMG_1267.thumb.jpeg.a20d11a08bdaac7a2f0481e5585f5fcd.jpeg

I had the blue cheese wedge, lobster gratinée, and bone in rib steak with garlic mashed potatoes.

IMG_1269.thumb.jpeg.11d9b656701bfbfaccd6b9d4cf45b095.jpeg

IMG_1270.thumb.jpeg.f19427d999d63e98985f65073a766581.jpeg

IMG_1271.thumb.jpeg.6c99ce02a3769757931c1a2197a41402.jpeg

We ate in one in Nova Scotia before lockdown. I recall our waistband was larger and our wallet smaller.🤣

• Like 4