New vaccine

hollyjess

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Though I think with the need for quarantine and testing

Probably why P&O and Princess have cancelled longer cruises for this summer and are going with the idea for shorter cruises, which could be for residents only ( as RCG are doing for Israelis sailing from Haifa).

10 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I feel sideswiped to be fair. I was always going to get it. I just hadn't really wanted it yet. I was hoping to be able to hang fire for a while and get out of the upcoming cruise. Though I think with the need for quarantine and testing we will probably be able to do. I don't see how we can board the connecting ship 30 miles away on the same day. And you can make the argument for mis-selling with a lot of these agencies in this. They do not mention need for quarantine, testing at the quarantine site in another country, masks that sort of thing when they are attempting to sell you.

I have had Covid19 in November 2020 and why I believe in the vaccine to save people going through what I did or even worse.

I had my first Pfizer Vaccine jab 12 days ago.

Graham.

• Like 2

I have received my letter from the NHS this morning confirming that I was given 2 doses of the Novavax vaccine during the trial and will not need to take up the offer of a vaccine during the roll out.  It says that a copy has been sent to my doctor so hopefully they will stop calling to offer me a jab.

• Like 18

16 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have received my letter from the NHS this morning confirming that I was given 2 doses of the Novavax vaccine during the trial and will not need to take up the offer of a vaccine during the roll out.  It says that a copy has been sent to my doctor so hopefully they will stop calling to offer me a jab.

Good news Josy. Our post hasn’t arrived yet so my good lady hasn’t received anything yet (apart from repeated texts inviting her to have her jab, even though they know there is no need). Seems like you have had the same.

40 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Good news Josy. Our post hasn’t arrived yet so my good lady hasn’t received anything yet (apart from repeated texts inviting her to have her jab, even though they know there is no need). Seems like you have had the same.

Post has just arrived and we have both received copies of what the trial sent to GP.

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

I'm not confident that the doctors will stop calling because everytime that they call I tell them that I have already had it and one of the ladies put a comment on my records and I can see the comment if I sign in but they still call me every few days.

1 minute ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Wife had AZ yesterday mid afternoon. Was fine when went to bed but has woken up this morning with hurty arm and 'aching all over'. In a funny way it feels good that a reaction has taken place. Paracetamol day ahead for her I think.

Sorry to hear about your wife. It is reported that having a reaction is a "good" sign, although that probably isn't much consolation to her now.

Did she get given a "yellow" card at the centre, which allows you to report side effects? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Wife had AZ yesterday mid afternoon. Was fine when went to bed but has woken up this morning with hurty arm and 'aching all over'. In a funny way it feels good that a reaction has taken place. Paracetamol day ahead for her I think.

Works like a charm. She should be better by tomorrow. Don't forget though, plenty of tea and sympathy😊

Avril

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry to hear about your wife. It is reported that having a reaction is a "good" sign, although that probably isn't much consolation to her now.

Did she get given a "yellow" card at the centre, which allows you to report side effects? 

No yellow card but she has been part of a daily online study for many months (Imperial College?) which she will report back on.

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Sorry to hear your wife isn't feeling well. Hopefully she will feel better soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Thanks for the sympathy for her, fortunately now that she is up and about her general aching has largely gone but now just a tender arm.  I was looking forward to a quiet day but that has been dashed!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just had my elderly neighbour on the phone worried about her covid jab not working. She wanted to know if you could buy a test for antibodies and t-cells. As far as I know you can buy a home antibody test, Superdrug do one, and if you have the antibodies you should have the t-cells?

However - I read that one of the reasons the vaccine might not work for some is the wrong sort of antibodies are produced, the whole issue is a can of worms.

13 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Just had my elderly neighbour on the phone worried about her covid jab not working. She wanted to know if you could buy a test for antibodies and t-cells. As far as I know you can buy a home antibody test, Superdrug do one, and if you have the antibodies you should have the t-cells?

However - I read that one of the reasons the vaccine might not work for some is the wrong sort of antibodies are produced, the whole issue is a can of worms.

You could always suggest to her that she speaks to a person who knows, like a doctor.🤔.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Lack of side effects doesn't mean it not working

I think your elderly neighbour should simply  continue to be careful for a month or two. Two doses reduces impact by 95%. But  its 95% from where you start. As death rates are very strongly linked to age , a factor of 10 per decade. Then 95% is like making yourself 15 years younger in terms of covid risk. So is she is 90 then she will end up with the risk of a 75 year old ,still high !. So don't mix to much until cases are low depends on where you live. If she lived in Cornwall cases are 12 per 100000, fairly safe. Some places 140 per 100000, be careful. 

• Like 1

In laws had there second Pfizer jab yesterday, sent us into a bit of a panic this morning when couldn’t get an answer from the phone either landline or mobile, left messages in both. Got a call around 2 they said they went to bed at 8 and slept until midday, apart from when my father in law got up around 7 to let the dog out and feed her. He then went back to bed. They were fine after the first one, but second dose knocked them out. 

9 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

In laws had there second Pfizer jab yesterday, sent us into a bit of a panic this morning when couldn’t get an answer from the phone either landline or mobile, left messages in both. Got a call around 2 they said they went to bed at 8 and slept until midday, apart from when my father in law got up around 7 to let the dog out and feed her. He then went back to bed. They were fine after the first one, but second dose knocked them out. 

Glad they have had their second jab.I've heard that the 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine is more likely to produce side effects than the first but hopefully it is just tiredness and they will recover soon.

19 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Glad they have had their second jab.I've heard that the 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine is more likely to produce side effects than the first but hopefully it is just tiredness and they will recover soon.

I must admit I was very tired for three days after the first Pfizer jab so I’d better block a week out of my diary for the second one. Oh hang on, my diary is empty so doesn’t matter.......🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I saw some stats on the news yesterday and, as we expected, a much higher proportion of people reported side effects from the Oxford AZ vaccine than the Phizer one. I can’t remember the exact figures but they are probably heavily understated anyway as I should imagine that only a small proportion of people actually report them. 

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I saw some stats on the news yesterday and, as we expected, a much higher proportion of people reported side effects from the Oxford AZ vaccine than the Phizer one. I can’t remember the exact figures but they are probably heavily understated anyway as I should imagine that only a small proportion of people actually report them. 

There are more AZ vaccines being used, so that could acount for some of the higher numbers.

25 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There are more AZ vaccines being used, so that could acount for some of the higher numbers.

Probably right. I recall a figure of 30 serious adverse reactions per one million vaccinations. Of course, everyone's definition of serious varies.

I had my AZ vaccine with no issues. Unfortunately anyone who gets the slightest reaction tends to write about it - fortunately it seems that the majority are happy to take the slight risk of staying in bed for 24 hours and watching "Homes Under the Hammer". 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1