The Daily for Sunday Jan 17, 2021

richwmn

Thanks Rich and Roy for the Daily. Can we add to the Care list those in Indonesia who have been hurt or killed by the earthquake. Hopefully they are not are great crew members or their families. 
Roy, sorry about the Ravens. They’ll join our WFT watching from the sidelines. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I never make New Years Resolutions either, but I do like @cat shepard's resolution!!

Love the quote, so true.  People laugh because wherever we travel I'm the one petting any cat in sight.  And the ONLY cats I have been ignored by have been in France.  The friendliest cats are in the Med (one of many, many reasons I love the Med), especially Mykonos and Kotor.  I find it a challenge to get those French cats to come to me, but so far have been unsuccessful.  😂

We had the meal suggestion glazed chicken last night, so chicken doesn't sound good right now --will see what else I can make tonight.

@ger_77 I'm so glad Sochi's paw is better.  

@65 GatorLeon hurrah for the light at the end of the tunnel and to you for helping out.  Our state could take some lessons. 😉  

The grandsons gave me a 500-piece puzzle for Christmas and I finished it yesterday.  I guess it's time to spend more time on the counted cross-stitch projects I have lined up, and hopefully by the time I finish one or two it will be early spring and gardening season.  It's good to see the end of Covid winter.

Have a great day everyone and stay safe.

puzzle.jpg

• Like 18

Good morning.  I can’t remember the last time I made a New Year resolution.  When I made them, I’d wind up breaking them.  Keeping virus free is more than a resolution, it’s become a way of life for us.

Ben Franklin did a great many things for this country.

Chicken 🐔 is on the menu tonight in the form of the last of the chicken mushroom soup casserole.  It’s time to work on leftovers again.  With the nice weather the last few days, DH has been using the grill.

Betty White is amazing.  At 99 she just keeps going.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 10

National Bootlegger's day sounds like a good excuse to party -- who doesn't love some bath-tub gin?  (This is making me want to watch The Great Gatsby...)

Happy birthday to Betty White - if she's not a National Treasure, she should be.

And hurrah...more dressed up penguins. Although I am a bit confused -- I thought penguins were "naturally suited" for black-tie already.  🤣

@dfish  Your poem is a wonderful resolution.

@kazu  Your cartoons really cracked me up today.

@Overhead Fred  Thanks for the gorgeous pictures of St. Thomas. I still think it is one of the prettiest Caribbean stops, just wish it wasn't always so packed with cruise ship passengers.

I had no idea whiskey sours had egg white in them!  That's my factoid for today...  And the wine sounds ravishing...for a red. I wouldn't mind trying a glass.

For those who've been ignored by cats, here's a handy tip:

image.thumb.png.45fe6c5e0748f3dd1d92e8d7c2ac9519.png

Now back to enjoying my "do nothing" Sunday....

• Like 14
  • Haha 4

Good morning, all! Well, with everything else that’s going on in the world, at least Prohibition isn’t starting. That’s something to celebrate!

We know it’s morning here, because the sky is medium grey instead of dark grey. The rain, however, sounds much the same.

It is a do nothing day here, other than our walk and gradually figuring out what to have for supper. Our prayers are with our southern neighbours, and hoping they aren’t needed.

Meanwhile, Happy Sunday from the elevator mats of the Amsterdam, who was at sea I. The South Atlantic a year ago today! 

CE885196-82C3-407D-BF57-8EEBCF611F16.jpeg

• Like 16

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - Muga Seleccion Especial Reserva - Spain - Red

Wow, this will be the closest I've ever come to hitting the wine of the day.

There is no denying that the Muga Seleccion Especial is an excellent wine--and fairly priced.  Tonight, I will be finishing off another Rioja--albeit, lower priced--that I opened last night.

IMG_6675.jpg.976089af6666e1fcfa3fa99672b2ad74.jpg

• Like 12

Good morning, Dailyites!  Today we ditch our NY's resolution to diet!  Two weeks of it, and we've lost about 8 lbs. each, that will have to do for a while.  I am planning a lasagna for tonight - I have to make it with ground turkey, as DD doesn't eat red meats, we'll have it for one meal, and she can freeze the rest to have on evenings when we have meat.  I also have over-ripe bananas, so I'll make some banana bread.  I'm excited about cooking something different...   

We will only be receiving half of the vaccine we were expecting for the next few weeks, we'll hear more about the delay tomorrow, I expect.  We're also supposed to hear the schedule for "deployment" from Dr. Bonnie, but I imagine that her original schedule has been completely messed up.  I keep telling myself "the later I get it, the longer it will last"...  Ontario is having a bad time, possibly more vaccine will go there than to BC.  

• Like 13

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily!

Just getting ready to start my New Year's Resolution tomorrow, of walking on the treadmill. Can't ditch it since I haven't started yet, lol.

It's cold here and will stay that way for the next week, with snow showers daily.

I'm making Rotkohl (German Red Cabbage) and it smells great. I'll probably have chicken with it.

I do like Whiskey Sours, but haven't had one in ages.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe, be well, and wear your mask!

V

• Like 11

Horizon Chaser1957   -   Thank You for the pictures of the Daily elevator mats. I always just look at them for a few minutes, brings back some wonderful memories!

Have a safe and happy Sunday everyone! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Suslor said:

Thanks Rich and Roy for the Daily. Can we add to the Care list those in Indonesia who have been hurt or killed by the earthquake. Hopefully they are not are great crew members or their families. 
Roy, sorry about the Ravens. They’ll join our WFT watching from the sidelines. 

It's done.  I seem to be sleeping later these days so I'm trying to update the list during the day so little has to be done once the new Daily is posted,

Roy

• Like 6

Good morning and thanks Rich, Roy, et al! 
Discouraging news about the Pfizer roll out,   I’m hoping we are done before summer! 
A whiskey sour sounds great, it’s been years.   The wine sounds lovely also,  a theme?  

Stay safe everyone!  

A photo of the Chinook arch that brings us warm winds,  means snow eater.  

D98B64C0-15D3-48C3-8967-C41AE9A4B809.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 18

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

at Sea Pacific off San Diego
Noordam
'..................................

0117SDiego.png

Noordam is in L.A. (San Pedro) today, Rich. I'll see if I can grab some pics of her

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’m a bit late today, but good afternoon everyone.

im so excited you would think something fabulous was happening. Well, my New York daughter and grandson are coming for an outdoor, masks on, socially distant visit. Haven’t seen them since June when grandson graduated from high school. His brother, who I miss terribly went to his girl friend’s in Connecticut for the weekend. We have a big outdoor heater for the  patio so hopefully we will be warm. Oh, I forgot, Molly, their dog is coming too.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I’m a bit late today, but good afternoon everyone.

im so excited you would think something fabulous was happening. Well, my New York daughter and grandson are coming for an outdoor, masks on, socially distant visit. Haven’t seen them since June when grandson graduated from high school. His brother, who I miss terribly went to his girl friend’s in Connecticut for the weekend. We have a big outdoor heater for the  patio so hopefully we will be warm. Oh, I forgot, Molly, their dog is coming too.

That's lovely.  Have a wonderful visit!😄

• Like 5

To continue my travelogue-

After Maasdam left Mystery Island in Jan 2020  the next port was Noumea, New Caledonia.  New Caledonia is a French island and Noumea is a fairly large city.  It was nice to find free wi-fi in the  terminal after being without it for several days.  Standing room only as many took advantage of this. I had researched and knew I wanted to take the little open-air train/tram that left from the terminal.  It was a good tour, although a bit noisy when we were in the city traffic. 

This is the Maasdam docked in Noumea.

1397407326_20200114_111715(2).thumb.jpg.55f4c72329f5adefab3374588857c08f.jpg

20200114_113336.thumb.jpg.96dfdc0d247f32573b4830a9be73c854.jpg

1035180508_20200114_112821(2).thumb.jpg.f377163eeb6b3be7efcede4a2e7db1bc.jpg

1028455686_20200114_115832(2).thumb.jpg.ae53c80e2400dfdff1a05186b63d9733.jpg

1290123666_20200114_121344(2).thumb.jpg.6cb815c42e701f03b4e549e22e6846d5.jpg

The next port was supposed to be Norfolk Island, Australia.  Although we didn't get to leave the ship on the tenders, I have pictures for tomorrow's travelogue.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily!

Just getting ready to start my New Year's Resolution tomorrow, of walking on the treadmill. Can't ditch it since I haven't started yet, lol.

It's cold here and will stay that way for the next week, with snow showers daily.

I'm making Rotkohl (German Red Cabbage) and it smells great. I'll probably have chicken with it.

I do like Whiskey Sours, but haven't had one in ages.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe, be well, and wear your mask!

V

Rouladen and Klöße would be perfect  with the Rotkohl!

• Like 3

Good afternoon here...almost!  Third day in a row with sunshine.  Spent 2 hours yesterday on a trail near the beach watching the waves roll in.  Awesome sight.  Got my walk in and also my ocean fix.

I don't make new year's resolutions any more.  Tonight's dinner is salmon, coleslaw with a mango dressing  (something new ) and brussels sprouts .   Thanks for all the updates.  Sending prayers to everyone on the care list.  Stay well and healthy and hope the vaccines start rolling out sooner than anticipated.

• Like 12

Good Afternoon.

Another gray day here.  The forecast for the week looks like overcast skies and rain.

I am hoping to make banana bread this afternoon, but may not have enough ripe bananas.  So it will most likely be a banana apple sauce loaf.

Tonight it is Waikiki Meatballs....something a little cheery.

Val

• Like 10

1 hour ago, superoma said:

Rouladen and Klöße would be perfect  with the Rotkohl!

Usually I make it at Christmas with Sauerbraten and Spaetzle. I have made Rouladen and Kloesse in the past. My best friend is German/American (conceived in Germany and born in the US as he likes to say). I've visited with his family in Germany several times and fell in love with the food. So I've been learning to make some classic German dishes. We were to have spent 3 weeks in Germany prior to our cancelled April 2020 cruise 😢.

• Like 4