The Daily for Monday Apr 05, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning, Monday, and Thank You for the Daily. ✏️

The deep dish pizza was just too good in Chicago --hotel recommended Giordano's on Rush Street. 🍕

✔️Yes, to Pago Pago and a stop on TransPacific cruises🛳️...always go to Tisa's Barefoot Bar for lunch and a swim. Here's the beer my husband likes while in Samoa. 🍺Actually, I don't think he's met a beer he doesn't like, ha-ha-ha!

🙏Prayers to all in need and have a good week.😎

FB_IMG_1617632419656 (1).jpg

• Like 23

Good morning from a sunny (finally), but breezy central Texas.  We are supposed to warm up beginning tomorrow, but it will be windy too, with winds from the south.

Years ago, I switched from making deep dish pizza to thin crust pizza, and we have half of one in the refrigerator from Saturday night.  I don't go for broke, but do make a donation to the slot gods 🎰 when we are in Las Vegas.  So far it hasn't worked in my favor.  Since I don't spend much each night, I look on it as cheap entertainment.  I try to keep the dandelions our of the grass, but don't bother much with them in the uncultivated part of our lot.

Like the quote very much, and try to follow it.

@cruzn single  HAPPY BIRTHDAY !  🎂🥂

We have not been to Pago Pago, but it has been on the bucket list for a long time.  @daisybertie, @StLouisCruisers, and  @kb4683  thank you for your wonderful pictures. 

@StLouisCruisers  Glad your feisty DMIL is improving and that they think she will continue to improve.  I have heard that Pago Pago is pronounced Pango Pango.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15

@rafinmd,thanks for shoutout, but my birthday was last week.  Just reminiscing on my birthday/Easter on HAL, many years ago.  I am 79, and can only remember twice in my life when both days coincided!

I love the sounds of today’s meal.  Could share the recipe with my step-daughter to have her make sometime.

Thanks to all for wonderful contributions.  Our newspaper had an article last week about the “good” things about dandelions.  Only I can remember was the greens (if not chemically treated), as a source of vitamins.

Off  to do 2 Zoom calls for Red Cross.  Have a great day everyone.  

• Like 19

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t like pizza?

No, but it'd be a safe bet that the "People who don't like pizza" lifeboat wouldn't suffer from overcrowding. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 11
  • Haha 11

Happy Easter Monday.  We learned some sad news over the weekend, our friend Harvey Cohen passed away after a fall in New Orleans.  Harvey and his wife Barbara were regulars on the HAL world cruises where their love of dancing was always on display.  Harvey was also always one of the sharpest dressers onboard.  Rest In Peace at that dance floor in the sky!

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I’ll pass on the deep dish pizza.Am I the only one who doesn’t like pizza? Only one place in Delray ,Florida makes a pizza I like. I haven’t seen any dandelions around since I moved to our condo. I guess the gardeners must do something , but not sure what.

I’m off later this morning to have the upper and lower left side of my mouth deep scaled and not looking forward to it. That’s what I get for avoiding the dentist since last July.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

I don’t like deep dish pizza.  We do like thin crust pizza 🍕.

• Like 7

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

I like pizza but not deep dish nor thin crust; not a dandelion fan, although growing up a family on my street would put them in salads!

Good meal and drinks, including Roy's.

I've never been to American Samoa. Thanks for the pictures.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad to hear your MIL is doing better.

@KirkNC So sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. Our numbers are up and restaurants and bars are now more open; hopefully things don't get worse.

• Like 17

Good Morning All,

We have cloud cover and a promise of break through to a warm day later. There are some pretty impressive specimens of dandelion on our slope that are topping my to-do list for today. Every time I pull them out I think of the day I bought some at the farmers market, steamed them  and served them for dinner. DH wasn’t impressed. And were they ever bitter. (Guess they are full of phytonutrients.)

Deep dish pizza is a favorite we have not had in years. There used to be a chain in SoCal (Numero Uno) that made it. Have not found a recipe that makes their style soft puffy crust.

• Like 18

Thank you Rich and a bright glorious Spring day to all our Dailyites!

Just about everything sounds good today. 

National Dandelion Day. Our yard has been almost completely depopulated of the "teeth of the lion" because our dd picks them all as flowers, they so rarely make it to floofy puffball stage. Thankfully there are enough survivors to keep the population alive. Our yard is a fairly natural space so we don't worry much about "weeds."

One of my happy cruise memories involves, yes, dandelions. On our 1st NE/Canada cruise, we rented a car on PEI and drove out into the lovely countryside, something I highly recommend. We drove over a rise and were blown away by a sunshine golden field on the other side, a field filled with dandelions. I looked for a picture but sadly, that was a couple computers ago and while I am sure those pics are somewhere, I'd have to hunt. But I did find a pic from our 2nd NE/Canada cruise with some dandelions. Fun fact, growing dandelions is an agricultural business in PEI according to the CBC, https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-dandelions-delicious-1.4124637?cmp=rss

Bacon-Wrapped Pesto Pork Tenderloin... yes please.

Yesterday was a happy day. Mom joined us for the glorious afternoon outside. We had ribeyes, asparagus, corn on the cob (all from the grill) and potatoes. Dd ate copious amounts of chocolate and sugar and then played in the sprinkler in her new rain boots, which are worn constantly regardless of weather. Super big day of fun. She fell asleep within a minute of her head hitting the pillow last night. 

The first vaccine dose made me a bit puny for one day and hurt my arm not unlike a tetanus shot but that was it. Next dose in a few weeks. Ds gets his tomorrow. 

Prayers and good thoughts for all those on the list and hopes you all have a restful and beautiful day! 

IMG_0196.JPG

• Like 23

24 minutes ago, POA1 said:

No, but it'd be a safe bet that the "People who don't like pizza" lifeboat wouldn't suffer from overcrowding. :classic_biggrin:

A Meet and Greet I organized a few years back included "People Bingo" and finding someone who doesn't like pizza was the single hardest square. But yes, one couple found that pizza hating "unicorn" and won the prize. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

A Meet and Greet I organized a few years back included "People Bingo" and finding someone who doesn't like pizza was the single hardest square. But yes, one couple found that pizza hating "unicorn" and won the prize. :classic_biggrin:

Sounds like an interesting game.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Happy Easter Monday.  We learned some sad news over the weekend, our friend Harvey Cohen passed away after a fall in New Orleans.  Harvey and his wife Barbara were regulars on the HAL world cruises where their love of dancing was always on display.  Harvey was also always one of the sharpest dressers onboard.  Rest In Peace at that dance floor in the sky!

I can’t like this as there is no sad emoji.

I am so sorry to hear this Kirk 😢 Our deepest condolences and our prayers for him, Barbara, their family and you 🙏🏻 

• Like 8

Yesterday's ham was very good. I tried a new cherry glaze recipe from the April issue of Costco Connection. I used some on the ham but served most of it as a sauce at the table. It complimented the ham quite nicely. We also had a pleasant dry rose wine I found at Total Wine for about $12 -

image.thumb.png.ca1612a1939491c064848d725d4a9519.png

20210405_074615.thumb.jpg.efa3faebc2d69904b76d63543ac3c073.jpg

Today in 2018 we were in Ponta Delgada and had a lovely tour of the Sete Cidades area. We were impressed by the Azores and look forward to returning!

1585484125_DSC_0798(2).thumb.JPG.d69d8ba8a7d03397fa8eb60ce25dbd5e.JPGDSC_0826.thumb.JPG.71ef50cc761d6d984c0f58c176b705be.JPGDSC_0844.thumb.JPG.4b9b612f9164c051fe6330949090978f.JPGDSC_0848.thumb.JPG.033f7d265ddf356d90d2a46c2f3cc49b.JPG

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 25

Good morning all!

I think we'll have a couple dry days, hoping to get outside to the garden.  It's still pretty cool-ish though, low 50's.  I have to keep reminding myself this is only early April, after all, but I'm impatient.

Speaking of gardening, no dandelions for my yard please!  Not a fan of deep dish pizza but love thin crust pizza.  The meal looks quite tasty, I think I'll print that one off for another day.

Never been to Pago Pago yet, but if all goes well we should be there next year on a 45-day South Pacific cruise.  The photos look beautiful, thank you to all who have posted.

@StLouisCruiserswhat great news about your DMIL!  Her feistiness certainly does pay off, I'm so glad she's doing well.

@KirkNCso sorry to hear about your friend.  I saw something about his fall on FB, very sad news.

Last night's Easter dinner at DD and DSIL's house was great.  I don't know how she does it, the day was full.  Easter baskets for the boys that morning, then 5 hours of skiing, then dinner for us.  I don't think we ate until after 8:30, but that's ok.  Here are a couple photos of DSIL (in the bunny costume) yesterday on the ski slopes.  Our grandson had a fake carrot on his back, and the "bunny" would chase him down the slopes to get that carrot.  I guess they were a hit on the slopes, and the boys were so proud to know the "Easter Bunny" personally. 😉  

787468011_EasterBunny.thumb.jpg.43c499241fdf7910e7fed47c0f6b7ccc.jpg

Bunny.thumb.jpg.393eb61e7091560de3a62ccae79e0853.jpg

• Like 30

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Deep dish pizza is a favorite we have not had in years. There used to be a chain in SoCal (Numero Uno) that made it. Have not found a recipe that makes their style soft puffy crust.

I used to love going to the one in Westwood Village when I was a postdoc at UCLA ('80 - '81)!

• Like 8

Looks like it will be a sunny two days here.  Good time to attack the dandelions in my yard.  We have been to Pago Pago.  I remember the busses that looked to be locally made with a wooden framework attached to a truck.  There were two U.S. Navy ships named after the island of Tutuila.  The first was a gunboat built in the 1920s and stationed in China until WW2.  It was turned over to the Chinese government in 1946.  The second, USS Tutuila (ARG-4) was a repair ship for gas engines, built during WW2 and used in Vietnam to repair Swift Boats.  I remember seeing her there in 1970.  Coincidentally, she was also turned over the Chinese government in Taiwan in 1973 where she was renamed the Pien Tai.  I thought that while we were in Pago Pago that it was pronounced Pongo Pongo, but I may be wrong.

• Like 14

Going to be sunny here, but cooling. Temps tomorrow will be about 12 degrees below those of today. Spring is trying to arrive. We do have some dandelions in the yard and they are being left alone for the bees. Will pull them just before they "fluff".

Have been to Pago Pago twice and enjoyed it both times. Once was a Sunday and seeing the ladies in their white dresses on the way to church was special as was the sound of singing from churches in town. Both times I also did short tours out of town, but on Sundays things are very shut down. But a lovely place to visit.

Will be doing a lot of dog walking today to try to walk off some of yesterday's diner. Dogs will be happy.

And I will do a short HS dog walk. Saturday we got in a pot bellied pig that so far no one has claimed. Those critters are hard to find a home for.

Susan

• Like 19

Good morning, all, sounds like an interesting day today.  

We were in Pago Pago (yes, pronounced Pango Pango!) in 2006 on a TP, one of our first cruises on Holland America.  We were "sticker people" in those days, as we had not been introduced to Cruise Critic.  We took a tour around different places on the island.  I will add a few photos.

IMGP0713.thumb.JPG.eb2b34f573ce0d4b0b48c0b9a64dea65.JPG

P1000165.thumb.JPG.0682ea3443237677355ca900c8527a67.JPG

IMGP0725.thumb.JPG.8759a527ffdcb1dc27748c0bfb4e1902.JPG

IMGP0719.thumb.JPG.52bc0523ba8b6f779fd9342bc3246b84.JPG

P1000157.thumb.JPG.1b41c58042b28f22a5adada422da4e36.JPG

• Like 29

We also had the pleasure of landing in Pago Pago on the Oosterdam  in 2013 on April 21st , I had no tour booked instead I went for a long walk all by myself around the harbour inlet , a beautiful area .

Will also tell you about the very special day I had 

939438276_NZAU20138742.thumb.jpg.8e86167a38f5ba829bfa4231e4029b06.jpg

1183297562_NZAU2013875.thumb.jpg.cbeb01db205d2d5a133c435feeec9af8.jpg

219883183_NZAU2013876.thumb.jpg.e6a53acfc8d59465cfa23e2c48607e4a.jpg

654388860_NZAU20138782.thumb.jpg.870b9b2ca7cfda4ae6646d83e14e3aba.jpg

268564966_NZAU2013879.thumb.jpg.d37ee778bd580810130d478dc1859eb2.jpg

359408331_NZAU2013880.thumb.jpg.a633d977caa40037c087e585859f9a84.jpg

591409492_NZAU20138812.thumb.jpg.e270eb576204195559c211a12bba4eaf.jpg

491413473_NZAU2013883.thumb.jpg.69a4927f76ee9c7a60bfbff324d76110.jpg

1694046384_NZAU2013884.thumb.jpg.e42dc79bfdc3f99b48b454571c87b8bf.jpg

1816475061_NZAU20138852.thumb.jpg.c2423a0069fef2c51f50c54bf0d0f17e.jpg

1958983624_NZAU20138862.thumb.jpg.dc7cac2bda08574f0a53e4d2f513c772.jpg

Again this was quite a special day for me because it happened to be the second birthday in two days ! 
 After we visited Apia , Samoa  on April 21st we crossed the dateline and the next day when we landed in Pago Pago it was April 21st  again so I had 2 BD cakes in 2 days ! How often does that happen in your lifetime ? 

1214041161_NZAU2013868.thumb.jpg.0642ae0175462b93a02fb197041f9154.jpg

The choir in the Canaletto singing Happy Birthday in Indonesian to the tune of  “  Lang zal ze leven “ which really is a Dutch BD song .

1704910637_NZAU2013870.thumb.jpg.5986dbdb8da07bfff87134581ac1d820.jpg

Love it that Rich  @richwmn has added the Port of the day feature while we are in the grips of the Covid lockdowns so we can look back at wonderful memories from cruises we have made all over the world ! Thank you Rich ! 

Have a great day everybody ! 

Tony 😀😀
  • Like 27

Good morning everyone. Thank you for the report Rich and Roy.  Prefer a thin crust pizza myself.  Kind of think of it as a lesser calorie option!!  Probably isn't but makes me feel better about eating pizza.  

I am sure enjoying seeing all the pictures from the different ports.  Haven't been to several of the last ones so keep those pictures coming.

Kirk, so sorry to hear about your friend.  Condolences sent to you and the family. 😪

Beautiful day here.  Trees are in full bloom.  I am especially enjoying spring this year.

Had to take our granddaughters new glasses back to the clinic where she got them.  One bow broke off last night.  So grandparents to the rescue.  Just heard that she will be getting a new pair of frames..luckily there was another just like her's in stock.  They will be available to be picked up this afternoon.  So tomorrow she will be able to "show" them off at school.  Always something.  

Prayers and blessings to all on the lists.  Have an awesome day, everyone.  Keep wearing those masks..news is all about the 4th surge!!  Hope is isn't as bad as predicted.  😷🌞

• Like 17

Good morning, all! Dandelions are just starting to appear here, and are a welcome sight. I prefer thin crust pizza to deep dish. I’ve been contemplating some fairly expensive silk scarves that are suitable for botanical printing. They are hand woven fair trade, and made from ‘peace silk’ or ‘cruelty free silk’. The silk is spun from cocoons left behind after the silk worms become moths and fly away, instead of picking the occupied cocoons and killing the creature inside as is standard in the silk industry. The resulting fabric is slightly coarser and has a soft glow instead of a bright sheen like regular silk. Obviously this affects availability and cost, and would only be used for special projects. Go For Broke Day has inspired me to take the plunge and place an order!

Todays meal will be turkey again, although the pork/ bacon/ pesto combo sounds good!

@KirkNCI had read about Harvey’s fall on the FB page, and am so sorry to hear he has passed. My condolences to Barbara, his family, and his cruise family.

@StLouisCruisersthat is good news about your DMIL! Glad to hear that!

Thanks to all for the Pago Pago pictures and write ups. Yet another place I’ve never been, but hope to when the world reopens. NCL just announced that they’re proposal to the CDC to resume cruising includes mandatory vaccinations of all crew and passengers. If this helps get them the go ahead to sail in July, I’m sure we’ll see more cruise lines follow suit. It would be nice to go,to,sea again!

In the meantime, Happy Monday courtesy of our BHB’s, may we see them soon!

32BF1065-44C7-4A5D-89F7-217CF541D4FE.thumb.jpeg.93bd3a8a9c52e107c4b4e169e86ae415.jpeg

• Like 18

Good Morning!

Hubby and I are on the mend from our Covid vaccinations we had on Friday.  By mid day on Easter we finally felt better, I find it odd so many varied reactions people notice.  But it is done!

We both love pizza, but usually reserve that for Saturday evenings after we have worked in the yard and are to tired to cook!   I would love to have a Mango Margarita but that will likely have to wait until we can cruise!

Enjoy your day we have beautiful sunny day and my tulips have bloomed it is spring!

Denise

• Like 16

Evening all, 

After a couple of mild days we have an 'Arctic Front' moving in from the north.  Temperatures have plummeted to 6°C (42F), but there is a wind that would tear the skin off.  There is some snow forecast for the northern counties, but here in the south we do not expect anything more than a few showers.

I am amazed no-one has mentioned the 'other' name for dandelions, based on their French name 'pissenlit'  - pee the bed!  (I wonder will those pass the censor's algorithms??)

We are also thin base pizza, people.  Never liked the deep dish.

Volendam is currently just about 8 nm from Gibraltar

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 17