The Daily for Sunday Jun 06, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

please pray for my husband, Sam. He went by ambulance to the hospital with what I think is a stroke.

Carol

Oh Carol! Praying for the best possible outcome for Sam, and of course for you. Know that you have a wealth of love and support behind you from your Dailyite family. ❤️

• Like 9

Sam is having surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain. We are told he’s in the best hospital on the east coast for this type of surgery. Without it he would be a vegetable and I know he wouldn’t want to live that way. I can’t even go to the hospital because I’m not vaccinated, but my kids are there. No visitors till after the surgery anyway.

Carol

• Like 12
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Hi everyone.   I have been so busy this week.  

ok, gardeners , what to do about the rabbits?  My flowers are being eaten to the dirt. 

Prayer for those who are suffering, comfort to those who are anxious, praise and kudos to those who make our lives easier and safer. 

I have the same problem here.  DH and I watched one nibble on his favorite flower.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I have a question:

The past 2 years my tomatoes put out beautiful fruit that either stopped growing or attained proper size, but never ripened. And there were  oddles of branches and leaves. They were in the ground, in raised beds, full sun. I used a vegetable fertilizer (don’t remember which) and commercial munch.

Any ideas? 

Another possibility could be over watering and over fertilizing. Once the fruit begin to develop try cutting back on your water and fertilizer. Those only encourage growth of the vines. less water encourages ripening and also enhances to flavor of the fruit.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Sam is having surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain. We are told he’s in the best hospital on the east coast for this type of surgery. Without it he would be a vegetable and I know he wouldn’t want to live that way. I can’t even go to the hospital because I’m not vaccinated, but my kids are there. No visitors till after the surgery anyway.

Carol

Thank you for the update; please know that you, Sam, and the medical team are in our prayers.

Smooth Sailing!

Gerry

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Praying for good results and a quick recovery for Sam.  I know this is hard on you since you can't go to the hospital but all will be fine.  The kids can report back to you.  Please take care of yourself now.  ❤️

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, jimgev said:

less water encourages ripening and also enhances to flavor of the fruit.

The best tomatoes I ever grew were during a drought. I watered with dishwater, just enough to keep the plants going.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Prayers and hugs. Thank heavens he’s in the right hospital with the right surgeon!

• Like 12

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I will normally leave loved ones of dailyites on the care list for 7 days after their deaths.  I think @NextOne will be coming off the list tomorrow.

Roy

Roy - I think that's appropriate. Thank you!

Edi

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Can you feel us all surrounding you? You are not alone, Carol. We are with you. ❤️

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I understand the need to protect your flowers, but I enjoy seeing rabbits in our yard.  We never used to have them, but they started showing up this year.  When we had a couple of weeks of dry weather I was worrying that they couldn't find water, so I placed a container under a hedge for them and kept it full.  I once lived on a farm in Eastern Washington where we were plagued with jack rabbits.  But these rabbits are much smaller with very short ears compared to the jack rabbits.  I wonder if they are really wild or are some Easter bunnies that someone let loose.

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

thanks for the update, Carol.  Prayers for a very successful surgery 🙏🏻 

So good to hear he’s in very good hands.  

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The dragons are drawn to blood and can smell it up to five miles away. You are not allowed ashore with any wounds or open sores. One lady in the group ahead of us slipped and cut her leg slightly on a sharp stick. The guides grabbed her and got her out of there like she was a grenade with the pin pulled. Even so, when we saw the big dragons they had their heads up scenting the air. The large ones were carefully eyeing us one by one to track the source. When a large Komodo Dragon who smells blood slowly swings it’s head and stares speculatively into your eyes, the guides with their forked sticks seem like very scant protection.

😱 Yikes! That's scary! 😱

• Like 7

To the best of my knowledge no family member was involved in D.Day and only 1 Uncle served in the military during WW2.  My family never talked about the war and when I was in school the war was not studied. I am so happy that all of you have posted your photos. This is quite an education for me.

@rafinmdthank you for adding Kakalena back onto the Care list.  I was premature in my thoughts that she was in a reasonably stable condition. As soon as the decision is made regarding surgery vs radiation treatment for her lung cancer I will let everyone know. (Only with her permission, of course.)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

@mamaofami  Carol, I’m so sorry this is happening to Sam.  It’s good he’s in such a good hospital with the best doctors.  Sending good thoughts for a successful surgery and a full recovery for Sam, and comfort and support for you and your family.  Your second family at the Daily has your back and is here for you.

Lenda

• Like 12

1 hour ago, jimgev said:

Another possibility could be over watering and over fertilizing. Once the fruit begin to develop try cutting back on your water and fertilizer. Those only encourage growth of the vines. less water encourages ripening and also enhances to flavor of the fruit.

That is something for me to focus on. I have been watering frequently. And a few months ago I put an extra load of “chicken’s best”, which I believe is high in nitrogen.

@kazu They are in the ground, or in large barrels, so moving indoors won’t work.

@Vict0riann I just might need to use them green. Have never had fried green tomatoes. Yet.

@Mary229 I’d offer up the services of our Golden Retriever, but he doesn’t like heat and doesn’t want to be away from family. He gets his kicks out of chasing rabbits. And squirrels. His eyes get really round and he starts looking like Whiley Coyote.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

I know this is a very scary time for both of you and it is made worse because you can't be there with him.  We're with you virtually.   Warm hugs and thoughts across cyberspace.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

I understand the need to protect your flowers, but I enjoy seeing rabbits in our yard.  We never used to have them, but they started showing up this year.  When we had a couple of weeks of dry weather I was worrying that they couldn't find water, so I placed a container under a hedge for them and kept it full.  I once lived on a farm in Eastern Washington where we were plagued with jack rabbits.  But these rabbits are much smaller with very short ears compared to the jack rabbits.  I wonder if they are really wild or are some Easter bunnies that someone let loose.

The rabbits in our neighborhood were "pets" that were let loose.  One of the neighbors had them and they multiplied to the point that they were over running the house, so he just let them all go.  It was really bad here for a while.  When the former nun next door swore she would come out with a shot gun to get the ones eating her lettuce, I knew it was really bad.  I shared some dried blood with her and that helped.   She didn't have to buy her shot gun.

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Oh dear Carol!  I am so sorry,  praying for the best possible outcome! 

• Like 7