The Daily for Sunday December 19, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, everyone.

Continued prayers for @kazu and @Himself.  And @1ANGELCAT, no more falls.  Don't scare us!

The rain has moved out so it is just a gray day today.  That makes it a good one for cooking up a nice creamy paprika pork dinner.  This first recipe is pretty basic, but sometimes they are the best.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creamy-paprika-pork/

Creamy-Paprika-Pork-_EXPS_SDON17_195096_D06_30_5b.thumb.jpg.9992f599eea56036ba409b575244cc97.jpg

This one employs a bit more seasoning and adds in some mushrooms.  Mmmmm

https://www.food.com/recipe/sour-cream-paprika-pork-262248

5881686_creamypaprikapork2.jpg.70c01f4f6dabec899edcf7de50c9c349.jpg

And this one goes all out and includes peppers and onions.   https://www.foodleclub.com/paprika-pork/

341829186_creamypaprikapork3.thumb.jpg.0090a2c0bbe86d5bdc524513baef691a.jpg

And if you're in the mood to bake, these oatmeal muffins might be just the thing:   https://www.ihearteating.com/maple-brown-sugar-oatmeal-muffins/

Oatmeal-muffins-5-800.thumb.jpg.684cce3482c4b4fd5601fa1845c6f421.jpg

Enjoy!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good Sunday Morning, Dailyites!

Thanks to everyone who contributes/visits/lurks.  Continued hugs to those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

We have cruised the Drake Passage on two different cruises and two very different type of ships.

The first time was on the Golden Princess (108,865 GT) sailing from LA to Rio.  Our Cape Horn day was 12/27/2013 and it wasn't really rough sailing, just a bit windy and cold.

IMG_0145.thumb.jpg.ba2af8831e5c511c77e5ca15a4f8f912.jpg

_DSC0667.thumb.jpg.4295b3ab0677a32646b82df828bcd884.jpg

The next time we crossed the Drake from Ushuia to the Antarctic Continent on an expedition ship, Quark Sea Spirit (4,200 GT).  The crossing going over to Antarctica was the "Drake lake"  November 9 & 10, 2014.

11/9/2014 - beautiful weather and calm seas

DSC00280.thumb.jpg.e3962eb08c7e69c414e19e105931b12a.jpg

11/10/2014 - a little more what we were expecting, but no problems for passengers

DSC00284.thumb.jpg.bbac63952109e1673e8ec8ca6a3f98d3.jpg

But, oh boy, that return crossing on November 16 & 17 -- that was the "Drake shake" 😱.  Don't have any photos of those days, but most pax were hunkering down in their cabins.  Lots of crackers and green apples were consumed.  Here's a portion of our Antarctic certificates that describes the weather conditions for the return crossing.

2047804980_KayAntarcticCert025_pdf.thumb.jpg.f0f2ebab79b0742be9d9f14ebfff74e8.jpg

Kay

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a cold, 32F, but sunny Quartzsite.  I know for those in the north, 32F might seem warm, but for those in the south, it is cold.

An tinteresting group of days.  I doubt if I see andy evergreens or holly here.  Will think about the muffins.

Lide the quote of the day.

Will pass on the meal, but would enjoy the drink and/or the wine.

We've been to Capr Horn twice.  In 1999, on the Noordam III, it was extremely calm.  The pictures are pre digiital and in Texas.  In 2015, on Ruby Princess, it was very rough with poor visiblity, so will not post any pictures.

Off to do the grocery shopping this morning.   Will check back later.

Lenda

• Like 26

Good morning.  I really like today's days.  Would love an oatmeal muffin, will have to see if I have all the ingredients.  Will skip the meal.  I do like today's quote.  Have not been to today's destination, it's on the bucket list.  Happy to see all the cruisers on the celebration list.  Prayers for our care list.

Made chocolate chip cookies this mornng for our lawn and pool men.  Getting nervous that our January 2 cruise won't happen.  The world is just not listening to the dangers.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Mai Tai:

Victor “Trader Vic” Bergeron is often credited with inventing the drink at his Trader Vic’s bar in the 1940s, though it’s likely that Donn Beach laid the groundwork for the famous recipe during the 1930s at his Don the Beachcomber bar. The original Trader Vic’s recipe featured Jamaica’s J. Wray & Nephew rum. Once Bergeron ran out of his supply, he moved to blending rums in an attempt to create a similar flavor profile.

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces white rum
3/4 ounce orange curaçao
3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce orgeat
1/2 ounce dark rum
Steps
Add the white rum, curaçao, lime juice and orgeat into a shaker with crushed ice and shake lightly (about 3 seconds).
Pour into a double rocks glass.
Float the dark rum over the top.
Garnish with a lime wheel and mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 10.18.59 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Good morning friends!  It's been a slow start to our day here because we're a tad bit worn out from the whirlwind trip back to St. Louis for DMIL's funeral.  The main thing I want to say to recap the day is that when we saw her at the visitation we immediately felt relief and awe.  Let me explain.  Her body these past few months was like a shell and she was virtually out of it 95% of the time.  She rarely ate at the end and was so tiny and shrunken.  But those in charge of her at the funeral home took over and she was transformed back to her usual self.  We gasped at how lovely she looked!  Everyone who visited said the same thing - she was beautiful!  DMIL was always pretty particular about her appearance and she would be so pleased with her final look.  Her hair was arranged as she would like it, her make up was perfect, the dress we'd chosen along the way was flowered and the colors suited her.  Even her nails were painted to match.  All we could say was thank goodness this was our final memory of her instead of how she'd looked at the end of her life, especially at 95 years old!  (she didn't look a day over 80!)🙂

The chaplain invited people to come up and say a few words and my DS and DD spoke, DH's cousin who was DMIL's nephew stood up to talk about visiting family as a child and how they enjoyed going to DMIL's house to play games.  Happy memories!  Also my twin's daughter got up to speak about how involved in THEIR family my MIL was.  DMIL lived a few blocks from my twin in 1988 and when her youngest child was born, DMIL volunteered to babysit Lyndsey when my twin went back to work as a dental hygienist 6 weeks later.  She took my twin's kids on as extra grandchildren because she only had our two children to spoil and love.  There was a lot of love and laughs about all our memories of her.  Many warm happy thoughts were shared and DMIL must be looking down and smiling at us.😇

Anyway, I want to thank Rich for his Daily report, Roy for his lists for those who need prayers and those who have happy events going on, Debbie for the food report today, and the food and beverage department.  Prayers continue for Jose, Jacqui, and Father.  We are always thinking of you! @1ANGELCATI hope your hand isn't badly injured.  Very sorry to hear about the fall.  Please take care!

I need to catch up on CC today.  Today's destination is two fold.  Been to Cape Horn three times and across Drakes Passage two times.  Always an adventure and one I wouldn't miss.  Thanks for the photos so far.  

Hugs to all of you!!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday!  It was warmer this morning, 39 degrees than yesterday’s low of 30 degrees.  But it still feels really cold to me. 

The meal suggestion sounds good but we are having teriyaki fish today and probably hotdogs tomorrow. Like @ger_77 we need to use up some things in the fridge before traveling. 

Graham @grapau27 it’s always nice to see your snippets about the day’s celebration. I hope everyone finds evergreen 🌲 or holly today if they go looking. Oatmeal muffins sound good and I don’t think I’ve ever had one. 

Brrrr on Drake’s Passage and Cape Horn. Thank you for sharing pictures. 

Today’s ornament isn’t really an ornament but I added a ribbon and hung it on the Christmas tree. It was courtesy of the Westerdam Crow’s Nest bartender from a Mexican Riviera cruise December 2016.  I thought it was cute. 

B7509DFD-5426-4411-8AEE-3AE48C86410D.thumb.jpeg.cf296ab6c0f479a38af719e5649a0180.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

For those who are wondering, I had a brief communication from Jacqui - there's nothing really to report at this time, but she's grateful for all the prayers and well wishes.  I say we keep the prayers coming and that we hope for a Christmas miracle for her and Jose. 

Thanks & will do

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich, and to Roy for the Care and Celebration Lists.  

🤪🙃We finally made it to Fort Lauderdale after a long delay in Houston due to thunderstorms and late arrivals with the captain and crew.🥱 Now for a nap! Prayers for all in need.🙏

Katie

P.S. ...an old card from my other family!🎄

FB_IMG_1639661978514.jpg

• Like 25

Sharon, I love that you made the bartender's little chair into an ornament.B7509DFD-5426-4411-8AEE-3AE48C86410D.thumb.jpeg.cf296ab6c0f479a38af719e5649a0180.jpeg

We have something similar from our wine steward Alex on one of our BHB cruises.  The seat of the chair is made from a prosecco bottle cap (Cantine Maschio).  I should put a ribbon on it and hang it on the tree like you did.  Normally it's on display in the butler's pantry glass doored cabinets.  But this would give it a use!  Thanks for sharing that.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIcuKPRALG8OEwUd_dGWHh9ldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1639931925

• Like 28

37 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Today’s ornament isn’t really an ornament but I added a ribbon and hung it on the Christmas tree. It was courtesy of the Westerdam Crow’s Nest bartender from a Mexican Riviera cruise December 2016.  I thought it was cute. 

B7509DFD-5426-4411-8AEE-3AE48C86410D.thumb.jpeg.cf296ab6c0f479a38af719e5649a0180.jpeg

We have a similar ones along with a little table I think. Can't remember which ship though but that was quite a while back!

• Like 13

We live in the "Evergreen State" and it is called that for a reason.

Here is picture looking outside our kitchen window in Skykomish, WA. You can see evergreen trees year-round. Mostly Douglas Fir and Hemlock with some spruce and pine and other varieties thrown in.

66959849_anevergreenskykomish.thumb.JPG.e389cf64e53714ff9e38b030127ddd15.JPG

Here is a picture of the trail just outside our condominium in Westport, WA. We also have evergreen bushes to add to the mix, like Salal and a couple of varieties of Huckleberry.

1163157263_anevergreenwestport.thumb.JPG.0fc7211a10ed85bef35966dd54f3a9df.JPG

• Like 33

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I saw this yesterday and it gave me a good chuckle; I hope it does the same for you:

Earl.thumb.jpg.008c13ad8769da0cf46cc962f68eb51a.jpg

In Mexico the baby Jesus doesn't appear in any of their creches until December 24th. You can see a lot of potential cat-beds during this holiday season.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Good morning all!  It's foggy and 35F this morning but no rain so that's a win 🙂  

Like @HAL4NOWsaid, here in the Evergreen State we have a ton of evergreens -- we have a lot of holly around too. 🙂 

I'll pass on the oatmeal muffin and red wine, but the drink and meal sound good.

I haven't been to Drake Passage and Cape Horn yet, but will be there (hopefully) in early '23 with the Oosterdam so I'm really enjoying all the photos posted today.

Continued prayers for @Himself@kazuand Jose.  

@1ANGELCATI'm so sorry you fell and hurt your hand!

@StLouisCruisersI'm so glad you felt at peace when you saw how good your DMIL looked.  ((hugs))

I thought I'd add this bit of humor today.  This house is about half a mile up the road from us -- every year they have put out the mannequin, and this year they added an inflated trailer.  It always brings a big smile to our faces to see it and remember the scene from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation movie with Randy Quaid. (the mannequin is better looking than Randy Quaid LOL)

220164884_NationalLampoonsChristmasVacation.thumb.jpg.1c4beb1986ba77c1d1c67c68bcada0a2.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 14

When I hear holly day it brings to mind a memory of my brother visiting me in about 1993.  It was his first visit to my Williamsburg, VA home.  It was December and he was in a particularly depressing time of his life so he came for a stay with me to get away from it all.  When he walked up the walk to the front door he glanced at the landscaping and saw my holly bushes.  That's when he asked me if I had added the bunches of red holly berries as part of my seasonal decor.  I guess he'd never had a holly bush of his own at that point.  😂holly-branch.jpeg

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 23
  • Haha 3

Good morning to all. Chilly here and we have wet weather forecast for later this week. The temperature will decide if we have a white Christmas or not, but since I am staying put I really have no preference.  This will be short as I have to do some quick repairs around the house which has suddenly decided it needs attention. Last night the cords on the blinds in my bedroom broke.... both of them!!! Suddenly I am sleeping in a goldfish bowl. Since my bedroom window is across from a neighboring balcony I need to hang a sheet or something over the window. Will call for help tomorrow. And my old TV is starting to give me issues. Don't watch much, but I need to get on the stick and think about the replacement. Wonder if the place will think up any other ideas for how to spend $$.

Have been 'round the horn 3 times and across the Drake passage 2 times. When I do it I think of my Great-grandfather who hired on to a ship in the early 1840's to move his wife and 2 small children from Canada to Oregon.  He paid their passage with his work. He had been a sailor on the Great Lakes and had been shipwrecked once and then his younger brother, also a sailor, had drowned not too long before. He, wife and kids made the trip safely, landed in California, headed up to Oregon and he never, ever went near the sea again.

Susan

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks all!   So nice to see the pictures of Cape Horn, I would love to but am a bit nervous! 
@ger_77 let’s hope no news is good news for Jacqui  and Jose!   continued prayers! 
 I understand your concern re omicron.  We just cancelled our two months in Hawaii, with the new advisory our insurance is now invalid and with the greater transmission and lower vacccine efficacy I am no longer comfortable on a fully vaccinated plane.  We decided we wouldn’t be enjoying ourselves like we should.   It’s a very difficult decision.  
@StLouisCruiserssending hugs, glad your DMIL is at peace and you found some solace in the service and good memories.

7F07D081-E29D-4942-BBDE-7A0DC0CE655A.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! Look for an Evergreen Day and Holly Day sort of take care of each other.

We did Drakes Passage and rounded the Horn in January 2020 on the Amsterdam. The crossing was quite smooth, what the Captain referred to as ‘Drake’s Lake’. Here are a few pics:

Sunrise over ‘Drake’s Lake’ approaching Cape Horn.

276CAF4B-F847-4F5B-9393-40F88F7DA706.thumb.jpeg.5db2132d5a43f6101dd51f5c4bd01439.jpeg

2A941949-6040-450A-A812-E2ED5C825D2E.thumb.jpeg.7bf8961f56a8bcd72f677b4b65bdb22b.jpeg

The Horn itself is an island. I never knew that. Above the series of islets is the land mass of Tierra Del Fuego. The actual mainland of the Americas starts above that, at Punta Arenas. This leaves several places at different latitudes claiming to be the southernmost point of South America, with reasons to back their claim. It’s interesting how far north you can travel and still come to the southernmost something!😉

Sailing around the Horn. The southern tip that divides the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans curves around and into the sea like the spiny tail of a sleeping dragon.

046A0A65-3CF1-43C4-B549-187A1B1E381C.thumb.jpeg.ab304be5d630ae6d90e0a7eb2b93e904.jpeg

70577152-7354-4539-B079-906B27D63F7D.thumb.jpeg.f2cad9eb6039df5111e63d816932660e.jpeg

473EC7DA-425E-4F52-9D78-E62E1C571771.thumb.jpeg.42db6a0a622f6753838cab1cbfe04a72.jpeg

4B567D47-BED0-4658-A9AD-71EF2EDAA311.thumb.jpeg.884765d9f9229b1cfc381fc7d8f364a1.jpeg

1C4D9AA2-1BFA-4553-B104-25B123FE79D5.thumb.jpeg.d669c9c6aaecbdcc9388491a629ab468.jpeg

Yesterday I finished off the Christmas baking. (The baking part, not the eating part.)
While getting things out of the pantry cupboard, I knocked a full bottle of balsamic vinegar off a chest height shelf. It hit the tile floor and went off like a bomb. There was glass and balsamic vinegar everywhere. Well, not everywhere. It directionally exploded towards the dining room. You don’t fully understand the downside of an open floor plan until you’ve washed balsamic vinegar spray off your dining room set.😏

But, the baking is done, and the new provincial restrictions don’t affect us going to DS’s for Christmas, and the kitchen and dining room are clean and sparkling. All is well!

Happy Sunday, as our BHB’s start off on their holiday cruises!

41BB75CF-19DC-475A-A17B-CAF6576CCD12.thumb.jpeg.2b0af9aa835d6f7301a103b26afd3d0a.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I guess many are looking for an evergreen today; our tree stands around town are empty I hear. I like oatmeal muffins. Holly is pretty for decorations, but this summer I pulled out two overgrown and wild holly bushes.

Great quote.

I like the meal suggestions. Love Mai Tais but haven't had one for ages. And the wine sounds good.

I have been in the Drake passage and Cape Horn.

Another grey day here and colder. Last evening I had a lot of eye irritation and a headache. I have this fluid accumulation under the conjunctiva in my right eye, that no one can figure out. It gets worse as the day goes on. It may be from all the inflammation and damage to the lymph channels. No one knows of a treatment. I'm feeling ok now, as the fluid goes down overnight.

@kazu Continued prayers for Jose, his medical team and you.

@Himself Thinking of you and I hope you are doing ok.

@1ANGELCAT Sorry to hear of your fall. Maybe get an X-Ray. Falling on an outstretched arm as you try to break your fall is common. That's how I dislocated my shoulder and ended up having a surgical repair year ago.

@ger_77 Thanks for passing on the message from Jacqui. 

@StLouisCruisers How wonderful that DMIL looked like her usual self. A comfort to the family I'm sure. It sounds like many great memories were talked about.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone!

Cape Horn, from the Zaandam, December 26, 2018

951810705_001-12_26.18CapeHorn.thumb.jpg.c2e74493137799aa32cae2eb58a1f3d0.jpg

Cape Horn Lighthouse Station and Wooden Chapel 

1794315694_005-12_26.18LighthouseStationandWoodenChapel.thumb.jpg.bb1b6daa639563def0a805ba08686e94.jpg

Albatross Monument, a memorial to sailors who lost their lives rounding Cape Horn

1248098042_007-12_26.18AlbatrossMonument.thumb.jpg.8c0e641f55a8da852828a0b65b21b619.jpg

1517327191_008-12_26.18AlbatrossMonument.thumb.jpg.c2aed52e84691fcb9ea38f6a3077343b.jpg

Seas getting rougher in the Drake passage

748388111_012-12_26.18SeasgettingrougheraroundCapeHorn.thumb.jpg.1b11379495899d03ad1b4f719e6f42ff.jpg

1298767227_013-12_26.18RoundingCapeHorn.thumb.jpg.c326793169d11cb954430fe584251b68.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Here's a photo from the 2015 Ruby Princess Cape Horn visit that @Quartzsite CruiserLenda mentioned.  There were some moments of fog dissipating.  2/26/201500-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ7jJyM2mvKgH6kSI4fmS7k?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427215997

And two photos from the Seabourn Quest crossing of Drake Passage.  At first it was rough and windy and then I have photos 4-6 hours later of blue skies and calmer waters.  Early morning.  12/27/201600-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLS9spsAZqwui4inxZJaBMc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485042275

Mid-afternoon, perfect!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKgmIHHeFQdT75LIAeFNofu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484527543

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJtYLRezlTjUctr6mARSL2R?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484527551

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

@kazu continued strength and prayers sent for you, Jose, and Jose’s medical team.

@Himself Father, prayers that you are over this beast soon and well.

@1ANGELCAT Ouch! I hope the hand is just bruised, and no damage.

@ger_77 thanks for passing on the message from Jacqui. Nothing new is better than bad news, and gives the doctors time to sort this out.

@StLouisCruisers It’s good to hear your safely home, and that the service went well. Hopefully you can rest before Christmas, and don’t have a lot of demands and commitments.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, all, a week from today, Christmas will be over!  Very strange year, and now we are preparing to have a very quiet 2022 as well!  Prayers for all on the Care List, especially Jacqui and Jose and Father Himself...  And @1ANGELCAT, sorry to hear about your tumble,  That does sound like a possible break, and I hope the cat survived!!

We had our 50th anniversary on the Quark Sea Adventurer, crossing the Drake Shake - DH very rudely said it described the ups and downs of our marriage...  I had fallen early in the expedition, on South Georgia, and broken my wrist, so there are no pictures - I needed my good hand to hold on.

And we circumnavigated Cape Horn on the Zaandam  in 2017.  Our Captain said he had never been all the way around, so that is what we did.  Early in the morning.  The seas were not too bad, but the swimming pool was sloshing.  I will just add a few pix.

IMG_2048.thumb.JPG.57f7377b27fa707c3cd9faaddb7ffdbb.JPG

IMG_0950.thumb.JPG.db3d9cfb1b80b0806cafa0f965b72de5.JPG

IMG_2050.thumb.JPG.923520b0d9a9ae644052acc7145c4cee.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Great day in Curacao! Beautiful (warm) day walking downtown. Very nice Christmas decor along the way. Found a fun artist studio and got a painting.

Just ran to the room and found a note giving us an 11:00 covid test tomorrow and we have from 7:30 to 9:30 to disembark on Wednesday for those of us In Transit. 

Prayers out to Father, Roy and Jose.

• Like 21