The Daily for Wednesday 02/09/2022

richwmn

Interesting discovery, at least for me since my current life is quite boring, about yesterday's meal - Tteokbokki. 

We have ordered, and enjoyed this meal from our local Taiwanese restaurant … under the simple name of “stir fried rice cakes”. No idea that it was Korean in origin (it was served in a brown sauce rather than the signature red Korean sauces) and was quite tasty.  Only issue is that the rice cakes had the same chewy texture as Japanese mochi ice cream coating and chewed forever. 

I learn things every day on the Daily. 😁

• Like 24

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Yesterday I watched the Enchanted Princess leave Port Everglades on the webcam.  My friend had sent in her information to the webcam people and was ready for their "wave".  However they failed to zoom in on them.  They did a few other people on the ship.  I took a print screen of the side of the ship as they moved from bow to stern and looked for them there.  I zoomed it in and sent that to my friend and she said yes, that was us waving wildly.  I feel badly it didn't work out for them this time but there's always next time! 

How do  you send your info in to the webcam people?  Will be on deck 8 aft on the Zuiderdam on Sunday!

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds very good to me.  Today’s drink is tempting, I’d like to try it when I have the drink package on a BHB.  Took a few hours of PTO this morning to run a few errands and get DH some rum for Valentines Day.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

Today is also National pizza day.

image.thumb.png.d55e3c751d0a52aa2b7fef3406fbef94.png

And so it is!  Hello everyone and thank you for the Daily.  Copied from a Pizzeria's post....:

Happy National Pizza Day♥️🍕
The first recorded reference to "pizza" is from 997 AD in the seaside, southern Italian city of Gaeta, which is about 50 miles north of Naples.
But the city of Naples/Napoli perfected the art of pizza-making, and the worldwide favorite "pizza Margherita" was invented there in 1889, in honor of Queen Margherita di Savoia. The pizza was specifically designed to include the colors of the Italian flag: green (basil), white (mozzarella), and red (tomatoes).
Pizzeria Brandi in Naples still has a plaque on its walls today that claims to have been the birthplace to the world-famous pizza on the occasion of the Queen's visit.
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, 0106 said:

How do  you send your info in to the webcam people?  Will be on deck 8 aft on the Zuiderdam on Sunday!

Go to the link for the Port Everglades webcam, then click on the yellow Send Request at the top right corner of the page.  Then scroll down to the bottom of that next page and send in the information asked for.

https://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Well it took two cups of coffee, and a bagel to read all of this even if it is only three pages. Of course I had to put the garbage out by the road and make the bagel. Thanks Rich and all. I do love chocolate but try to avoid it as it is like potato chips, I can’t eat just one. I liked to sit in my hot tub and read. I would also light candles and pour a large glass of wine. It was my “me” time and no one was to bother me during that time. Another port I have not been to but hope to soon. Prayers and cheers for all my Dailyite family. 

• Like 27

Good morning, all! Chocolate Day is always welcome, and the drink goes with it perfectly. The meal,sounds good, and easy to make from ingredients likely on hand. Like @*Miss G* , though, I must confess my mind went immediately to singing Muppets. While I enjoy unoaked Chardonnay, I have never liked the oaked variety. It makes me feel like I’m drinking white wine out of an ashtray. I have been to The Bay of Islands in New Zealand, but we landed at Paihia. A local tour in a private van took us to,Waitangi.   I loved it there. That was also where I was introduced to botanical printing.

F92179C5-B08A-4DAC-A8F2-69BBB72C8A42.thumb.jpeg.7556955436fa5e531f273ec442baf7bc.jpeg

The Amsterdam waiting.

2ADD3D4C-1ECB-4D26-AA9E-18AC12A0D704.thumb.jpeg.ded0351ba2b2bfcae94b12a050966612.jpeg

A helicopter tour takes off from Paihia.

35BE22C0-AB5A-4138-A4A8-23F051B9C066.thumb.jpeg.d3db496c96820b695578cd288cb4eb43.jpeg

The craft market where I learned about botanical printing.

1041BD9A-B056-4017-9E9F-6B97EC0E5ADF.thumb.jpeg.1bd526e92019e14918a069e743eb28c1.jpeg

A retired couple ran a private tour on cruise ship days with their 8 seat van. It ran every hour, with the wife selling tickets outside the info center for the next tour while the husband drove the customers around and gave entertaining narratives to the local sights. She had a basket of peaches from their own tree which she offered for free. They were juicy, delicious, and more often than not led to a tour sale.

22324943-25A3-4E54-9D17-4BB6A5EE07AF.thumb.jpeg.66985253643d3fa3f67daf9faf53b8aa.jpeg

@mamaofami your luck with aides continues to be shocking. To have scammed three of your cards, that particular aide obviously just uses the job as a cover to scam vulnerable people. The agency need to check back with other clients to see who else had card information stolen when he/ she had access. I can guarantee it hasn’t  just been you and Sam. I’m glad you caught it, at least!

Happy Wednesday, and I raise a glass of wine and a piece of chocolate to our beloved BHBs!

1880E8C9-A701-4EE1-BF69-82AFB054D712.thumb.jpeg.3d5c50d81394e808890576e5ca005ab9.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Yes, Jacqui is correct. After spending the night at 58 degrees in the house, the furnace company discovered that the switch in the garage had been turned off. One of the aides must have inadvertently done it because it’s bright red and has a cover over it. I think he was looking for a garage closet light and thought that was it.$150 later we had heat. The week before the hot water heater was broken, then the remote control for the TV.

We have been notified that there was fraud on Sam’s Amex card the day of his birthday when we left an aide home alone, and one on a Costco visa of mine and another yesterday on my Chase bank card. We reported it all to the agency and while we know who did it, there’s no proof but I felt they should know.

I will celebrate chocolate any day and the quote is so true.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

I have been thinking about this over the last few hours. I am sure I could not have the person back in my house. I would confront that person and it might not be pretty. I’m not sure they didn’t turn the red switch just to get even for reporting them. Like others have suggested, I would file a report with the police. Who knows but that they won’t try opening other cards in your name since they have access to so much information. Please be careful and know your situation is in my prayers. 

• Like 24

Good morning, all, and thank you for the Daily News!  A lot is going on, poor @mamaofami has had so many woes with aides, you really should write a book!  @smitty34877, hope Tana continues to improve. She is having such a terrible time.  @kazu, Jacqui, I hope you can have a really good visit with Jose tomorrow, and @Cruzin Terri, I hope you feel better soon.

My father worked for Nestles for most of his working life, but the only product he brought home that I liked was the chocolate.   In our household now, every day is Chocolate Day!  Pat likes it frozen, but I will eat any kind.  

We visited New Zealand in 2006 after a cruise on Statendam, we had one day in the Bay of Islands on the ship and tendered in to Paihia and took a tour to a glowworm cave and a kauri forest.  Then after we disembarked in Auckland, we flew to Christchurch and drove around the South Island first and then the North Island.  We finished up wth a few days in Paihia and took the ferry to Russell one day.  Lots to see.  It is a beautiful country - my aunt never wanted us to go there as she was afraid we wouldn't want to come back!

IMGP0912.thumb.JPG.0a1006c3f4e344fd34a35ae1fae8ece1.JPG

IMGP0926.thumb.JPG.1f22be2d8a2769ca839031f029ae2122.JPG

Statendam in the Bay of IslandsIMGP0936.thumb.JPG.6ddb81f3b2070cc9bd724706189848e1.JPG

P1000570.thumb.JPG.2ed783427d156ee8bca9e88bf82ed8a9.JPG

P1000571.thumb.JPG.b89c812afb0cc676fdb802da926b0b06.JPG

P1000568.thumb.JPG.9ce9e30a472cd21618a28c672942b30b.JPG

In Russell

IMGP1165.thumb.JPG.f5f4ca95c2306a3458e928f88c8acce9.JPGIMGP1177.thumb.JPG.9c17a012032dc41c691e426bb8d418f7.JPG

The island where Captain James Cook was killed and the monumentIMGP1189.thumb.JPG.deb6b4c5a21ec93af2941547e1cd6f49.JPG

P1000593.thumb.JPG.79871d97e94218f2745601c4136665ec.JPG

P1000572.thumb.JPG.261f461b1db2d3a82b9e6e80b936dd2e.JPG

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from sunny and warm Quartzsite.

As another confirmed chocoholic, I'll gladly celebrate chocolate day.  I do try to limit the amount of  chocolate I eat everyday.  We have talked about cutting the cord, but until we no longer have an rv, we need the satellite tv service.  As our cell reception here and in Texas is not the greatest, we still have a landline for internet.  I've tried reading in the bathtub, but that was decades ago.  I much prefer a shower.

The quote has certainly been true the last two years.

The meal looks good, but I think we'll pass.  Since I do not like coffee, I'll pass on the drink and also on the wine.

We have been to the Bay of Islands once on the Volendam on the APEX cruise in 2002.  I posted a few pictures when Whangarei was the port last August.  Since we tendered into Paihia near Waitangi, I will post the pictures I didn't share then.  

It was cloudy in the morning when we arrived, but by the afternoon the clouds had burned off and it was a glorious day.  Once off the tender, we walked around town checking the sites and things to do.  We booked a boat tour for the afternoon and took a private drive in the country with one of the locals before the boat trip.  

These are pictures of town in the morning and in the afternoon.

IMG_2020.thumb.JPG.dc5c3b0ca8f8f0e9b2f1d671f5774b05.JPG

IMG_2049.thumb.JPG.e82b9badfc5b2725915add96c6bae30e.JPG

IMG_2050.thumb.JPG.02a932985e683a3f6dfb0f49c274b17d.JPG

IMG_2124.thumb.JPG.b2574b201d6772b83e4eaf3a81efa67a.JPG

A few pictures from our drive in the country including a stop at Haruru Falls.  We were lucky that it was in November and there was water flowing over the falls.

IMG_2032.thumb.JPG.fdd42b829c81422922fc87bae5be486f.JPG

IMG_2031.thumb.JPG.dca8415d6f2f2d77ea59e18bef8597db.JPG

IMG_2042.thumb.JPG.5c0f46f0038848bae6f16af07a5188f1.JPG

IMG_2038.thumb.JPG.7b69fed40ac1c86f108edcd10991f296.JPG

Our boat tour took us around the Bay and out to the Hole in the Rock, where we actually motored through the hole.

IMG_2078.thumb.JPG.75c99151293adadcd21c4cc5677dc97e.JPG

IMG_2104.thumb.JPG.2ada51ba873fcaebf82675b5a35748cf.JPG

IMG_2107.thumb.JPG.40cd38b25d36702e97b52c2c6e374e4d.JPG

IMG_2110.thumb.JPG.c421785ebf344db6cd9888cba1791d99.JPG

IMG_2111.thumb.JPG.1eedcd12587306fecc61369957cb911d.JPG

Volendam from the tour boat

IMG_2062.thumb.JPG.11eaeafb0c195d0449aede9908ecc19e.JPG

I'll close with the beautiful sunset as we sailed toward Auckland.

IMG_2129.thumb.JPG.97c46d5cf5723febdf65192d478257a8.JPG

Lenda

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks all!   Especially for the New Zealand photos! 
@mamaofami I would hope the CC fraud will trace and have the person charged. You are overdue for a good aide! Glad the heat was a quick fix, but oh my goodness what a crazy situation! 
love chocolate, and reading, not so much in the tub. 
I ordered some Belgian chocolates online and they have arrived just in time!  Last year I ordered some Swiss but the minimum order was 130$👀.   Day today we really like the store brand presidents choice  dark chocolate which I stocked upon Monday. I thought dark chocolate was good for you, in moderation? 

8652DF16-823D-483D-A030-D8CEDF550EA3.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 30

Good Morning Dailyites!

So fun to read about the "days"  Love chocolate................I have never met a chocolate I didn't like!  We still haven't cut the cord parents have our landline number memorized! 

@Cruise Suzy thanks for the recipe  I think I will make that for a group of ladies I travel with the next time we get together!

Well need to run time to take Mom to doctors appointment.

Have a good day everyone.

Denise

• Like 23

Thanks for all the new photos of Waitangi!  Just beautiful as is everywhere in New Zealand.

And I have to agree with those who think your credit card fraud should be reported to the police.  That is a criminal who is working as an aide and as was mentioned, ripping off those most vulnerable.  If they aren't stopped then they are doing it again today to someone else.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to RIch and Roy for the Care and Celebration lists. Prays for those who need them.       @dfish the menemen recipe sounds delicious and I will try it. Thanks

@kazuI hope you get your errands done today. Enjoy your visit tomorrow.

@smitty34877Good to hear Tana is improving,  slowly.  It is in the right direction. 

I will celebrate Chocolate Day, as I used to make novelty chocolates. At Xmas I would go thru 800-1000 pounds of chocolate.

I used to read in the bath tub.  Nodded off one day, and the borrowed book got a little wet.  But that's okay.  I lent a book to the owner of the wet book, and her dog chewed it.

Thank you to all who posted the beautiful pictures of Bay of Islands.  We spent a wonderful week in Pahia. Did a boat tour and saw the Hole in the Rock. Bus to to Cape Reinga, from where Maori souls depart for home, and drove on 90 Mile Beach. Visited the Treaty House, and took the ferry to Russell.  We were looking forward to stopping there for a day on our cruise around New Zealand.  Due to azipod issues and an extra day in Napier, we missed retuning to Waitangi. Would love to go back to NZ.

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tbay said:

Thanks to RIch and Roy for the Care and Celebration lists. Prays for those who need them.       @dfish the menemen recipe sounds delicious and I will try it. Thanks

@kazuI hope you get your errands done today. Enjoy your visit tomorrow.

@smitty34877Good to hear Tana is improving,  slowly.  It is in the right direction. 

I will celebrate Chocolate Day, as I used to make novelty chocolates. At Xmas I would go thru 800-1000 pounds of chocolate.

I used to read in the bath tub.  Nodded off one day, and the borrowed book got a little wet.  But that's okay.  I lent a book to the owner of the wet book, and her dog chewed it.

Thank you to all who posted the beautiful pictures of Bay of Islands.  We spent a wonderful week in Pahia. Did a boat tour and saw the Hole in the Rock. Bus to to Cape Reinga, from where Maori souls depart for home, and drove on 90 Mile Beach. Visited the Treaty House, and took the ferry to Russell.  We were looking forward to stopping there for a day on our cruise around New Zealand.  Due to azipod issues and an extra day in Napier, we missed retuning to Waitangi. Would love to go back to NZ.

I really wanted to go to 90 Mile Beach!

• Like 13

6 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Yes, Jacqui is correct. After spending the night at 58 degrees in the house, the furnace company discovered that the switch in the garage had been turned off. One of the aides must have inadvertently done it because it’s bright red and has a cover over it. I think he was looking for a garage closet light and thought that was it.$150 later we had heat. The week before the hot water heater was broken, then the remote control for the TV.

We have been notified that there was fraud on Sam’s Amex card the day of his birthday when we left an aide home alone, and one on a Costco visa of mine and another yesterday on my Chase bank card. We reported it all to the agency and while we know who did it, there’s no proof but I felt they should know.

I will celebrate chocolate any day and the quote is so true.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

That really stinks and so sorry that an aide would come into your house and scam your credit cards. I've been skimmed at gas pumps on 3 different occasions but my credit card company was on it right away and notified me. Just last week a golf buddy of mine had his debit card skimmed, debit cards getting skimmed are a real pain for the holder of the card, it took him 5 days to rectify things with his bank.

Unfortunately we live in a society with bad and evil people who are too lazy to earn money by working for it, instead they steal it from hard working honest people.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 22

Good afternoon.  I had a multi-quote post I was working one about two hours ago, when it went Poof!  I decided to take a break and then comeback and try it the old fashioned way with the "magic blue bubbles".

First, thank you to all who posted pictures of today's port.  It is nice to see what others do and what we missed in a port.

@kazu  Jacqui, hope all the errands went smoothly.  For me getting my hair cut is a morale booster and something I can do that feels normal.  Hope the roads don't give you any problems tomorrow and you have a good visit with Jose.

@smitty34877  I'm so glad Tana is making progress even if it small steps.  It is good that her care team will meet with your DD to discuss her treatment, progress and what to expect when she comes back to you home.  She is very lucky to have your family behind her.

@Cruise Suzy  Thanks for the brownie recipe, and I bet it would be good with a glass of red wine.  I don't make brownies very often as they are my chocolate downfall.

@mamaofami  Carol, what a mess on top of all the other things that have gone wrong with the aides.  First, a red switch with a cover is hard to inadvertently flip, but the worst is the credit card fraud.  I agree the police should be notified.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope the new, new mattress is the one.  Good DH's test went well, and hope he gets the angiogram appointment soon.

@aliaschief  No chocolate this year! 😱  You have more will power than I do, or in the case of chocolate want to have.  🙂 

@marshhawk  I loved your description of reading a book in the tub.  It's too much work, especially when you can curl up on a comfortable couch or chair with the book.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you got some rest last night.  Hope you hear from the hand doctor soon.

@TiogaCruiser  Hope "Plan C" for the steps works.

@swin26  I agree.  I think chocolate and wine is celebrated everyday by many on the Daily.

@durangoscots  Susan, good news that the work on the shelter is progressing.  While I know Colorado like Arizona needs moisture in any form, I hope it holds off until the roof finished.

Thank you to all the posters who shared memes today.  We always need a good laugh.   Speaking of laughs, I got a good one @Tbay over the borrowed books story.  I think you both came out even.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

@dfishThanks for the recipes for menemen, I've never heard of it but I think I'll make it soon.  Looks delish.

This is one I'm going to make as well.  When I think of it, I've come pretty close on my own a few times.  

4 hours ago, arzz said:

Interesting discovery, at least for me since my current life is quite boring, about yesterday's meal - Tteokbokki. 

We have ordered, and enjoyed this meal from our local Taiwanese restaurant … under the simple name of “stir fried rice cakes”. No idea that it was Korean in origin (it was served in a brown sauce rather than the signature red Korean sauces) and was quite tasty.  Only issue is that the rice cakes had the same chewy texture as Japanese mochi ice cream coating and chewed forever. 

I learn things every day on the Daily. 😁

Supposedly, it is a Korean street food.  I'd try it if someone made it for me.  

• Like 19

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors (Lists, F & B depts especially).

Any day that mentions chocolate is good! I've not cut the cord (on cable or landline). I could read in the bathtub with my large vintage cast iron tub, but I shower in it.

Good quote. The meal looks interesting. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I've been to NZ, but not Waitangi. Thanks for the pictures.

It's been sunny and warm (49F) here, with lots of snow melting, but the clouds are coming in and rain is forecast. I had a visit with my PCP this morning, and the dentist is tomorrow for the crown reglue. The new printer arrived today, so hopefully setting that up goes smoothly.

@kazu Glad you're taking some time for you. Prayers that the roads are ok to visit Jose tomorrow.

@smitty34877 It's good to hear of some progress for Tana, even if baby steps. And bless you for all you're doing for her.

@*Miss G* Thanks for getting that song stuck in my head! 😆There was a Polamalu version for the Steeler player who was beloved here (Pola-malu).

@mamaofami I'm glad you have heat, but that was an expensive mistake. Oh no on the credit card frauds! I'd be so mad and calling the police.

@ger_77 I hope the new mattress works out. I need to get a new set (I want adjustable if it can fit up my stairs), and don't look forward to shopping for it. I hope DH's tests and procedures go well.

@Cruzin Terri  Prayers that the higher steroid dose kicks in soon.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon!  I just wanted to drop in real quick before I read the Daily because I spent the morning working on our possible June Med cruise, checking air options, and calling my PCC.  I'm still on Plan a Cruise day!  Turns out my PCC is sick so I had to speak with someone else but they were wonderful and really helped me.  Now we just have 2 weeks to decide if we are really going to do this or not.  Decisions decisions!  Then I started a pork chop dinner in the crockpot. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

• Like 26