The Daily for Thursday 06/02/2022

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I've had moonshine, although up here we call it "home brew".  I do love my dentist; after years of having a dentist phobia, I found one who is compassionate and able to deal with scaredy-cats like me.  It was a rare day that I got to leave the office early when I worked, and of course DH was a teacher, so that never happened for him.

Another bright sunshiny day out there this morning, but we seem to have a lot of wasps around this year.  It's funny, some years there are very few, but we've already discouraged a number of them from making themselves comfortable on our deck.  I'm going to have to find a couple of lunch bags, blow them up and tie them to the exterior to make it look like the No Vacancy sign is lit up.

At brunch on Tuesday, one of our friends mentioned wanting to go on another cruise together and they'd been looking at one on the Rotterdam.  Well yesterday morning while DH and I were reading the newspaper, he suggested I look into the cruise that we'd discussed  - you don't have to tell me twice!  By noon we'd booked ourselves onto the Rotterdam VII for a 21 day Southern Caribbean Seafarer/Wayfarer escape in January, 2023.  Woo hoo!

@dfish I'm glad you had a rather comfortable night, and hope you'll have an even better day today.  I know it will be tough being a couch potato because you're usually such an active person, but stick with it so you'll heal fully.

@Sharon in AZ sending Craig good wishes and keeping my fingers crossed that you stay healthy.

I've written down the ingredients needed for the drink of the day - I think that might be our go to summer drink this year!  I don't think either of us would appreciate the menu suggestion today, so will take a pass on it.  DH mentioned last night that we haven't had noodle bowls in a very long time, so I think I'll be ordering take-out from one of the Vietnamese restaurants close to us.  It'll be sunshine and noodle bowls on the deck for us tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and all who are experiencing senseless violence.  We'll cheer on all who are on the celebration list with a clinking of glasses.  Be safe, wear masks when you need to, get your boosters, and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 34

Good morning, everyone,

We have both departed and arrived in Dover.  I can’t remember if we were on HAL or Celebrity on our departure, but our arrival was on Prinsendam in 2019.  We enjoyed strolling around Dover on a beautiful evening before the departure.

My cousin and her husband call their mountain top home Moonshine Mountain; they’ll like that this is Moonshine Day.  We’re heading over there tomorrow for the weekend.

@dfishI’m so happy yesterday went so well for you!  I hope you mend quickly and feel that you can get back to normal!

@Sharon in AZ, I am so sorry to hear that Craig gets to “enjoy” the quarantine wing.  We spent one night in a quarantine room when I had symptoms but was fortunately negative.  As in your case, it was a move from a Neptune.  I hope Craig’s case is mild and that he has some good books.  And mostly I hope that you remain negative.

@smitty34877I love that your pups are part of Tana’s loving staff!

@kochleffelWelcome home!  All your logistical hassles would have driven me nuts!  I try hard, but sometimes “go with the flow” goes out the window.  Your wry humor must have been a lifesaver; I know I enjoy your take on things.

I am sad and frustrated to report that Tulsa (where I live) has joined the mass shooting club.  @dfishcommented that sooner or later we will all get Covid; it’s troubling to feel like sooner or later every town will join the club.  The response from at least 5 public safety departments was very fast and very large.  Officers were in the building within 3 minutes of the call.  St. Francis is one of those sprawling hospital and clinic buildings complex, but fortunately they have an excellent plan in place, and every building, including the hospital was automatically locked down immediately.  One police department division had just completed an active shooter refresher a few days before.  Everyone knew just what to do.  Thankfully.

Hoping for a good day for all.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning Dailyites!  I love my dentist.  I owe the man a gazillion dollars, and he was my biggest fan when I was performing back in the 80's.  No matter what the setting, coffeehouse or bar, I'd look up, and there he would be.  It made me feel like I had a friend, and when I was there last for a broken tooth, he was singing one of my songs to me.  Currently he will be out of the office until October due to health issues.   Never had moonshine.

I sort of left the office early yesterday, DH made one of @dfish's Chicken Francese recipes for me last night, and it was so good, it would have been an insult to eat it at my work desk.  So I joined him at the dining room table.  I made up some of the time, but not all of the time.

Another 8 hour day at the desk today, starting at 12:45.

@dfish, I am glad that you got rid of that nasty gall bladder.  And that so far you are pretty much pain free, but be easy on yourself please!

@Sharon in AZ  So sorry to read about your DH and the covid.  I hope that you stay well, and enjoy the "me" time, but I know that is not the way you want to do a cruise.

@StLouisCruisers I am sorry that so many of your family members are going through these terrible health issues right now.

@smitty34877We took Bobagingee to the vets two weeks ago for his shot, and tomorrow it's Furnandos time.  The vet called this morning, while I was feeding the outdoor cat, and I ran in to grab the phone.  The nice man told me that my appointment with Furnando is tomorrow.  I said, yes we will be there, but we haven't told the cat yet.  (glad he didn't hear the message) n And yes, the vet is expensive, and worth every penny to me.  And it made me smile to know that your neighbors helped move Tana the other day for your outdoor picnic.  

It's not a race weekend, but we are off for donuts, because it's on the way to the Wild Birds Unlimited store, and we are totally out of seed.  Have a great day!

a3d7007d97d9d74500cc405859db1e5b.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you everyone for your well wishes for Craig. They just arrived to sanitize my cabin. Craig was moved about 45 minutes ago to his quarantine cabin. We talked on the phone after he figured out what his cabin number was. He hasn’t had lunch yet since this all took so long. It’s a hurry up and wait situation unfortunately. Thank goodness I’m in a Neptune Suite and have access to the Neptune Lounge. It has been very helpful having them so close. I’m not going ashore today, bummer.  I think some kind of special alert goes out when this happens because the Lounge knew when I went to tell them. 

Debbie @dfish — so glad you are doing good. 

Maxine @AncientWanderer — congratulations on your new DGS!  

Jacqui @kazu — hope all is well.  I have no words except to say that I miss you. 

Graham @grapau27 — congrats on the good blood work. 

I am sure I missed someone/something because I’ve missed reading the Daily for many days. Just know that I care. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sorry to hear about Craig.Just a heads up about being in quarantine. All our communication was through the concierge in Neptune. They took our meal orders and quickly handled any request.See if Neptune can get some silverware and napkin from Lido to him. He could keep them and wash after use. Beats wooden utensils.

We had the beverage package and every evening there would be two single malt scotch delivered without ordering after first order!

Been there done that but in our case Neptune concierge made it much more tolerable.

• Like 21

Hello, I'm back from spending the morning Knattering with the Knitting group in Crooner's bar.  As I left I noticed a knitting needle under one chair and a ziploc bag with yarn in it under another chair.  The other ladies and I decided to keep them until tomorrow rather than leave behind the bar or in Lost and Found.  Tomorrow we can reunite with the owners. 

We've checked the lunch menu and don't care for the MDR lunch so perhaps we will go get some pizza.  Next choice would be Horizon Court (Lido). 

I missed the balcony get together for the Royal family so will watch the recaps on TV later. 

Wi-Fi is so slow right now I've been trying to update my Princess Medallion app on my IPhone for 5 hours.  Verrrry slow!  I have a new photo to send you all today of Sadie and I just pray that the internet is strong enough to do it!  I swear that puppy looks like a little stuffed animal, doesn't she?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIOyklcs5IxzkJ8wHihFTvT5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=small&ts=1654171210

DD says her puppy teeth are coming in so she's biting a bit on things so that is a habit that she will need to break her of.  I can't wait to meet this little lady.❤️

Take care everyone!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, We’ll I have tasted real moonshine, been to Dover on the Rotterdam. Not sure I have any pics available. I have a great dentist and staff but after going to the butcher dentist I had growing up I’ll admit it’s not my favorite place to go.

Thanks Rich, Roy and today especially our faithful food reporter Debbie. 

@Sharon in AZ One other tip. If Craig, like us, is in a Verandha cabin have him look down and see what life boat is nearby. If you go to that spot on promenade deck you may be able to wave at each other. My SIL was able to do that when Sue and I were in Isolation.

It’s a beautiful morning and will get up in eighties. Though we are not currently affected it appears that Hurricane season is off to a quick jump start.

We both received our second booster shots yesterday and other than a sore arm if rubbed no reactions.

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 26

Good morning all from our hotel just outside Yellowstone!

We arrived last night and are getting ready for our first full day in the park. 

This is also our youngest grandson’s 7th birthday. He’s hoping to see a fox (one animal we’ve only seen a handful of times in the many, many times we’ve come here). But fingers crossed!

I’ll catch up on all the posts later but for now want to say I’m very happy Debbie @dfishis doing well but very sorry to hear that @Sharon in AZ’s DH has Covid. 😞

More later!

Last night around the fire at our hotel. 286B12BB-BB31-483A-9797-C4FE70D14F9F.thumb.jpeg.8d36156690cb1cea6fd140d56017cdea.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

I slept well last night until 3:00 am.  Got up and took a pain pill and went back to bed until 6:00 am.  Almost 10 hours of sleep.  I'm a little sore this morning, but nothing I can't tolerate.  Ice will help it.  My plans are to lay low today.  Tim is coming over to clean out the gutters, but he doesn't need my help for that.  I just need to move the car out so he can get the ladder.  I think @summer slope's drink recipe would be great once I get off these pain pills.  I'll have to find sugar free lemonade, though.  

Thank you to all who commented last night and this morning.   I truly appreciate you well wishes and concerns.   Like I said before, you can't help but have a good outcome when you have the Daily family behind you!  

I love butternut squash and think today's meal would be a great side dish.  Maybe with a good meat steak?  Or a pork roast?   https://arteflame.com/blogs/news/butternut-squash-steaks-with-brown-butter-sage-sauce-one-the-grill

1819020482_butternutsquashsteak1.jpg.d9b809b7b0c3f3e93a7cba479602c9f2.jpg

The recipes that meets the title of today's meal all come from Epicurious and I have exhausted my free views. The clones were all the same recipe, so I branched out a bit.  Food and wine has a great recipe but the squash is in chunks rather than a slab.  That's ok by me.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/butternut-squash-with-brown-butter-and-sage404974961_butternutsquashsteak2.jpg.37e05695f051ae905c01387014eff9c8.jpg

Up last we have a similar recipe from Williams Sonoma.  https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/roasted-butternut-squash-with-brown-butter-and-sage.html

782113378_butternutsquashsteak3.jpg.fb5d16c31540eb198a884d7406a00aff.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of continuing gun violence, and Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.   @Sharon in AZ, I am sorry to hear DH has tested positive.  My friend, the public health doc, says we'll all get it eventually.  Just be vaccinated and boosted to prevent serious illness.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

I'm off to the couch.

I'm pleased you have had your op.

Best wishes for a great recovery.

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hello, I'm back from spending the morning Knattering with the Knitting group in Crooner's bar.  As I left I noticed a knitting needle under one chair and a ziploc bag with yarn in it under another chair.  The other ladies and I decided to keep them until tomorrow rather than leave behind the bar or in Lost and Found.  Tomorrow we can reunite with the owners. 

We've checked the lunch menu and don't care for the MDR lunch so perhaps we will go get some pizza.  Next choice would be Horizon Court (Lido). 

I missed the balcony get together for the Royal family so will watch the recaps on TV later. 

Wi-Fi is so slow right now I've been trying to update my Princess Medallion app on my IPhone for 5 hours.  Verrrry slow!  I have a new photo to send you all today of Sadie and I just pray that the internet is strong enough to do it!  I swear that puppy looks like a little stuffed animal, doesn't she?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIOyklcs5IxzkJ8wHihFTvT5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=small&ts=1654171210

DD says her puppy teeth are coming in so she's biting a bit on things so that is a habit that she will need to break her of.  I can't wait to meet this little lady.❤️

Take care everyone!

Sadie looks so adorable.

Sending her hugs.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you everyone for your well wishes for Craig. They just arrived to sanitize my cabin. Craig was moved about 45 minutes ago to his quarantine cabin. We talked on the phone after he figured out what his cabin number was. He hasn’t had lunch yet since this all took so long. It’s a hurry up and wait situation unfortunately. Thank goodness I’m in a Neptune Suite and have access to the Neptune Lounge. It has been very helpful having them so close. I’m not going ashore today, bummer.  I think some kind of special alert goes out when this happens because the Lounge knew when I went to tell them. 

Debbie @dfish — so glad you are doing good. 

Maxine @AncientWanderer — congratulations on your new DGS!  

Jacqui @kazu — hope all is well.  I have no words except to say that I miss you. 

Graham @grapau27 — congrats on the good blood work. 

I am sure I missed someone/something because I’ve missed reading the Daily for many days. Just know that I care. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, 

Have you decided not to leave the ship today, or are they not allowing you to do so?  I somehow remember from reading Jeff Farschman’s blog that when one of his group tested positive he had to be tested daily and was not allowed to leave the ship.  Is that still in effect?

I hope you remain well and keep testing negative.

Terri

• Like 17

Just checking in. Got to my cabin in Oregon about midnight. Both of my sons are here to help. It’s cold here. Got down to 32 last night. Looking forward to getting back to Alabama but lots to do here before I take the travel trailer and head east again. 

@Sharon in AZ so sorry to hear about Craig. 

• Like 24

3 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Sharon, 

Have you decided not to leave the ship today, or are they not allowing you to do so?  I somehow remember from reading Jeff Farschman’s blog that when one of his group tested positive he had to be tested daily and was not allowed to leave the ship.  Is that still in effect?

Terri

Terri, My SIL did not test positive but every morning she had to go to clinic and be tested. As long as she continued testing negative she had no restrictions and could go into port. This was on the Rotterdam.

• Like 19

9 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Terri, My SIL did not test positive but every morning she had to go to clinic and be tested. As long as she continued testing negative she had no restrictions and could go into port. This was on the Rotterdam.

That is good to know.  I just remember reading Jeff’s blog and know he was not happy with his situation when one of his group tested positive.  Again, that was earlier and things may have changed since then.

Terri

• Like 15

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is National Moonshine Day,

My grandpa was a dairy farmer, and his brother (named Christ) was a moonshiner. Christ shared a lot of customers with grandpa's milk run.

• Like 12
  • Haha 11

Good morning from cloudy and windy central Texas.  We got a little rain the last two nights.  Any little bit helps.

I have not had moonshine but did have a drink with Everclear, which I think was legal moonshine back in the mid-1960s.  I've had both good and bad dentists, but the one I have now is the best.  I can't leave the office early since we left the office permanently years ago. 

I'm not sure about today's quote.

We'll pass on the meal and the wine.  The drink sounds interesting.

We have been to Dover a few times both on BHBs and Princess.  I'll look for pictures when I finish this, but I may not be able to post them until this afternoon.  I have an appointment for a haircut "about" noon.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm happy you got a good night's sleep and are doing well.  Also, it's good that you are taking it easy today.

@cat shepard  I love the one-liner today.  My scale teases me with lower numbers for a day or two then goes back up for a few days.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you got a good night's sleep, too.  Hope there are many more to follow.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, I'm very sorry that Craig tested positive and is now in quarantine.  Hope you keep testing negative.

@smitty34877  Terry, it is so sweet that the dogs will sleep together guarding Tana.  Dogs have a sense when people need love, comfort and support.

@ger_77  Gerry, that is good news that you now have a cruise to look forward to, especially one with friends.

@Live4cruises  The shooting, like all the others, was so senseless.  I'm sorry for the loss of life, but glad that the hospital's plan and the first responders kept the carnage to a low number.  

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, cute picture of Sadie.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, I'm glad you made it safely to Yellowstone.  That's a great picture of the family.

@lindaler  Linda, it's good to know that you made it to your cabin safely and that your sons are there to help your.

@HAL4NOW  Loved the story about your grandpa and his brother.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Sorry to hear about Craig.Just a heads up about being in quarantine. All our communication was through the concierge in Neptune. They took our meal orders and quickly handled any request.See if Neptune can get some silverware and napkin from Lido to him. He could keep them and wash after use. Beats wooden utensils.

We had the beverage package and every evening there would be two single malt scotch delivered without ordering after first order!

Been there done that but in our case Neptune concierge made it much more tolerable.

Good news is that he is getting real dinnerware and no problem with the drinks. I spoke with the bartender in the Ocean Bar to make sure. 

His late lunch today. Negroni, wine and sandwich. 

337C626B-5FD1-42AB-8AAD-C92340EEB997.thumb.jpeg.f8df9e06ea5d45bd2d660908636fb143.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Sharon, 

Terri

Terri, it was so late by the time everything was done that I decided not to go into the old town area. The city arranged shuttle buses for $16 pp (IIRC) to go to the old town area. 

I have been trying to reply for a few hours but the internet was choppy. We just departed Marseille and I was finally able to post. 

• Like 25

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'm not likely to try moonshine. I did love my former dentist; I kidded him that we'd grown up together, since I'd seen him for 35+ years. Then he had to stop practicing last year for health reasons. I like the new one so far. Since I'm retired, no office to leave.

Puzzled by the quote. I like the meal, drink and wine.

I have been to London, but not Dover. I appreciate any pictures.

We had some storms last night. My power flickered but stayed on. Some rain on and off today. At least it's a bit cooler. After I woke up I noticed itching on my stomach where I'd given the injection, and a raised 1.5" swelling. It's not itchy now, but still a raised area. I'll message the doctor about it.

@Sharon in AZ So sorry to hear of Craig's positive test! Hoping it's a mild case and that you stay well.

@dfish Good to hear you got some sleep last night. Rest up today.

@kochleffel Welcome home!

@Cruzin Terri These inflammation/autoimmune issues are a bear to deal with.

@mamaofami Happy Birthday to your DGS.

@StLouisCruisers Such a cute puppy! Continued prayers for your family members.

@Cruising-along Enjoy Yellowstone! And Happy Birthday to your DGS; I hope he sees a fox.

Prayers for the Care List, Ukraine, and all victims of the senseless gun violence.

Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

We cruised out of Dover in 2013 on the Ryndam  to Norway and the Baltic. We flew to Heathrow and took a bus to Dover where we had a nice little B&B. We were so happy to see the Ryndam as she was our ship in Tampa. 

Dover is a very old terminal, but quite decent. 

• Like 20

@Sharon in AZ Wow! That looks like a relic from ago. A Lido tray! Thank goodness he’s getting real dinner ware and utensils. We had everything brought in styrofoam takeout! Maybe someone listened to my post cruise comments. Eating a Pinnacle steak on disposable dinnerware and wooden spoons did pretty much downgrade a quality dinner.

Hang in there!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I somehow remember from reading Jeff Farschman’s blog that when one of his group tested positive he had to be tested daily and was not allowed to leave the ship.  Is that still in effect?

Terri, I forgot to comment about this. I have to be tested at Day 3 and Day 5 but I am allowed to go anywhere and ashore. 

I have to say that I am one of the few wearing a mask. I wear one all the time except when sitting eating and drinking. Like now in the Ocean Bar. 

BCAFF157-A55E-47C6-8594-4CCD6929DCE1.thumb.jpeg.791b489d49f676d8dd2152e8ed978f1d.jpeg

Craig has sent me pictures of his cabin and it appears that it hasn’t been updated at all. Makes him feel like he’s in the Twilight Zone. 

I ordered flowers and they came about an hour ago. 

8E296F62-1AE9-4BDB-B29F-23725ECCF1B7.thumb.jpeg.1fbefa2c7a9bc61de2a2e8f58f94c681.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

25 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

@Sharon in AZ Wow! That looks like a relic from ago. A Lido tray! Thank goodness he’s getting real dinner ware and utensils. We had everything brought in styrofoam takeout! Maybe someone listened to my post cruise comments. Eating a Pinnacle steak on disposable dinnerware and wooden spoons did pretty much downgrade a quality dinner.

Hang in there!

Yes!  And the bathroom has the old medicine cabinet. A relic for sure. 

9047D87B-7011-44F2-BAF7-7969B04F76FA.thumb.jpeg.c0f5452034c98953ecc3693017d6bc14.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2