The Daily for Friday 06/17/2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Seasick Sailoryep, we’re pretty bored in this confined space. I would love to be on the balcony gazing out at the Norwegian scenery. We took naps both in the morning and afternoon, like newborn babies!  

I can’t believe your favorite pizza in Venice is the same as ours Antico Forno near Rialto. We always make a point to eat there. 958049A6-020F-4FAB-BFE1-6910A9F6F878.thumb.jpeg.68400b54917e5e4209d7a367fddffdbc.jpeg

Happy birthday to Susan @durangoscots!!

Since I don’t have much to offer today how about the little charmer who always makes me smile!  Sadie!!

A38F16C0-0210-402F-A789-3F0ADAEB71CE.thumb.jpeg.d6b33058ec2e5d678321736b89f9d7a8.jpeg

I see some lighter coloring showing up in her undercoat. I call it highlights! 🥰

Sadie looks adorable.

I hope you are both feeling better today.

I'm gutted for you both that you have Covid and stuck inside when you could be sitting on your balcony.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@JazzyV  Vanessa, since you didn't mention it, I am guessing the injection site did not have a bad reaction.  The story about the 3 month old baby and the dogs is so sad.  We get stories about children dying in hot cars several times a summer in Texas.  Like you, I don't understand how parents can forget their children are in the car.  I also do not understand pet owners who don't protect their pets.

Lenda

I had a bit of redness and itching this morning, but nothing like the first shot. I had taken Benadryl before the shot on Wednesday, a Claritin yesterday and one today. Once the Claritin kicked in, the itching and redness subsided. Hopefully less reaction each time.

49 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Prayers are asked for my DH's nephew (age 68) who was mowing his mother's lawn yesterday and going up a hill when the tractor tipped over on him. He has multiple injuries – fractured vetebra from mid-back to waist, broken ribs, fractured sternum, bruised lung, He has had surgery and rods, pins and screws were inserted to stabilize his spine. 

Thanks, in advance, for your prayers,

-Melisa

Prayers for your DH's nephew for a good recovery. Thank goodness there were people around to help.

@StLouisCruisers So sorry this is happening to you and DH. Sadie is so cute!

BFF wants to go out to eat; we haven't seen each other in a while, although we text every day. He doesn't do heat well, so the likelihood of sitting outside is low; but there shouldn't be many people there at 4PM (let's hope).

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Happy Friday afternoon and evening!  

The concert in the park was much better than the one last week.  Just better music and definitely not so loud.  It is so fun to see others from our small town in a wide open space.  We missed two years of these Thursday evenings!

Trying to do lots of small jobs and a few errands.  I leave next Tuesday for Denver area to attend DGD's wedding on Wednesday and then will extend the trip by visiting a long-time friend for a few more days!  I NEED to get out of town since I have been here since February without a break.  Too long for me!

@durangoscotsa very happy birthday and it looks like rain might be coming to you.  Send what you don't want a couple of hundred miles north!

The summer farmer's market has opened, so maybe I can stop there tomorrow for a few veggies to have  before I leave.  Not sure everything is truly local yet, but it won't hurt to try.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, the concerts in the park sound like a nice way to spend a summer evening.  I'm glad this one was better, and that they are able to have them again.

53 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Prayers are asked for my DH's nephew (age 68) who was mowing his mother's lawn yesterday and going up a hill when the tractor tipped over on him. He has multiple injuries – fractured vetebra from mid-back to waist, broken ribs, fractured sternum, bruised lung, He has had surgery and rods, pins and screws were inserted to stabilize his spine. 

He was fortunate that neighbors were swimming in the lake his mother lives on and saw the accident. It took three men to get the tractor off him. He was pinned so tight he couldn't breathe but, thankfully, the men recognized the seriousness of his injuries and called 911 before trying to move him.

He has been the caregiver for his 89 year old widowed mother (my DH's sister). So, there are arrangements to be made for her care now and each's care when he leaves the hospital. We live six hours away, but, even if nearby, my DH's limited mobility and memory challenges would not make DH a suitable helper. Her only grandchild has stepped up temporarily...

-Melisa

Melisa, what a horrible accident.  I'm so thankful there were neighbors who saw the accident and were able to get the tractor off him without moving him and doing further injury.  Sending positive thoughts for both your DH's nephew's healing and for his mother.  I hope they both can get the care and help they need.

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I had a bit of redness and itching this morning, but nothing like the first shot. I had taken Benadryl before the shot on Wednesday, a Claritin yesterday and one today. Once the Claritin kicked in, the itching and redness subsided. Hopefully less reaction each time.

Prayers for your DH's nephew for a good recovery. Thank goodness there were people around to help.

@StLouisCruisers So sorry this is happening to you and DH. Sadie is so cute!

BFF wants to go out to eat; we haven't seen each other in a while, although we text every day. He doesn't do heat well, so the likelihood of sitting outside is low; but there shouldn't be many people there at 4PM (let's hope).

Vanessa, I'm sorry you had some redness and itching, but good to know the Benadryl and Claritin 

helped.  Enjoy our dinner with your BFF.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Sounds like the perfect situation for an outdoor brreakfast.

Ruy

• Like 15

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been back in a while - lots of things came up that needed tending to.  

@HAL Sailersending prayers for your DH's nephew for a full recovery; how fortunate for him someone saw the accident happen and was able to enlist others to help.

Happy Birthday to you @durangoscots with many more returns of the day!

@cat shepard @marshhawk @kochleffel @smitty34877 @dfish @puppycanducruise and @TiogaCruiser here is the recipe I've used for years to make Lemonade Pie.  It's DH's favourite and instead of making it today, I made a simple lemon slice (from a mix) that is eerily similar to the one I make from scratch at Christmas.

LEMONADE PIE

2 small boxes vanilla instant pudding mix

1 3/4 cups milk

1 can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed (I like to use pink)

1 8oz container Cool Whip, thawed

Graham wafer crust (I cheat and buy them)

Combine the pudding and milk until well mixed, then stir in the lemonade concentrate until it is spread throughout.  Fold in the Cool whip, then mound into the graham wafer pie shell.  Chill 4 hours.  There's usually a little too much for the pie shell unless you can find a deep dish one, but that's rare around here, so I put the remainder in a dish for DH to snack on till the pie is ready.  LOL

Enjoy!

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 14

One of the best excursions I ever took was last October in Manzanillo to the sea turtle rescue center. There we helped baby turtles into the sea. After getting washed around on the beach, my "grandturtle" finally made it into the water & swam off. I instructed my late DH to serve as a guardian angel for the little guy & make sure he/she survives! If I can find some pictures, I'll show you how itty bitty these babies are -- a miracle that any of them survive!

DSCN5388.jpeg

DSCN5390.jpeg

Edited by NextOne
Found these pictures of my grandturtle!
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

LEMONADE PIE

1 3/4 cups milk

Combine the pudding and milk until well mixed, then stir in the lemonade concentrate until it is spread throughout.  Fold in the Cool whip, then mound into the graham wafer pie shell.  Chill 4 hours.  There's usually a little too much for the pie shell unless you can find a deep dish one, but that's rare around here, so I put the remainder in a dish for DH to snack on till the pie is ready.  LOL

Enjoy!

Gerry this sounds delish and the recipe is so simple that even I can make it. and wouldn't it be a fantastic dessert after todays dinner of fish and chips.  Thank you for sharing

Jane

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been back in a while - lots of things came up that needed tending to.  

@HAL Sailersending prayers for your DH's nephew for a full recovery; how fortunate for him someone saw the accident happen and was able to enlist others to help.

@cat shepard @marshhawk @kochleffel @smitty34877 @dfish @puppycanducruise and @TiogaCruiser here is the recipe I've used for years to make Lemonade Pie.  It's DH's favourite and instead of making it today, I made a simple lemon slice (from a mix) that is eerily similar to the one I make from scratch at Christmas.

LEMONADE PIE

1 3/4 cups milk

Enjoy!

This is my recipe I made at our Sleeping Child  Creek B & B. My sister would ship boxes of meyer lemons to us in Montana. Gerry's recipe looks easy and delicious!

Lemon Pie

GRAHAM CRUST

• 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  •  

PIE FILLING

• 28 ounces sweetened condensed milk 
  • 3 egg yolks
  • finely grated zest from 4 meyer lemons
  • 1 cup meyer lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch salt
  •  
  • TOPPING & GARNISH
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • fresh mint , for garnish
  • lemon slices , for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or coat with non-stick spray a 9-inch pie plate.
  • In a bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, and salt. Mix until evenly combined. Press the graham mixture into the pie plate.
  • Bake crust for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
  • In another bowl combine the pie filling ingredients (sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, meyer lemon zest, meyer lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt). Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Pour the pie filling into the baked pie crust.
  • Bake for 20 minutes. Allow the pie to cool completely. Chill the pie for at least 3-4 hours or overnight, until fully set.
  • Whisk together the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to soft peaks. Spread whipped topping onto chilled pie. Garnish as desired and serve.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 9

3 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

He was fortunate that neighbors were swimming in the lake his mother lives on and saw the accident. It took three men to get the tractor off him. He was pinned so tight he couldn't breathe but, thankfully, the men recognized the seriousness of his injuries and called 911 before trying to move him.

He has been the caregiver for his 89 year old widowed mother (my DH's sister). So, there are arrangements to be made for her care now and each's care when he leaves the hospital. We live six hours away, but, even if nearby, my DH's limited mobility and memory challenges would not make DH a suitable helper. Her only grandchild has stepped up temporarily...

-Melisa

Melisa how horrific. Thank goodness there were people close by. Prayers winging  their way that he has a speedy and full recovery n

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

LEMONADE PIE

1 3/4 cups milk

Enjoy!

Thank you Gerry!

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

This is my recipe I made at our Sleeping Child  Creek B & B. My sister would ship boxes of meyer lemons to us in Montana. Gerry's recipe looks easy and delicious!

Lemon Pie

GRAHAM CRUST

• 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  •  

PIE FILLING

• 28 ounces sweetened condensed milk 
  • 3 egg yolks
  • finely grated zest from 4 meyer lemons
  • 1 cup meyer lemon juice
  • pinch salt
  •  
  • TOPPING & GARNISH
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • fresh mint , for garnish
  • lemon slices , for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or coat with non-stick spray a 9-inch pie plate.
  • In a bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, and salt. Mix until evenly combined. Press the graham mixture into the pie plate.
  • Bake crust for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
  • In another bowl combine the pie filling ingredients (sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, meyer lemon zest, meyer lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt). Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Pour the pie filling into the baked pie crust.
  • Bake for 20 minutes. Allow the pie to cool completely. Chill the pie for at least 3-4 hours or overnight, until fully set.
  • Whisk together the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to soft peaks. Spread whipped topping onto chilled pie. Garnish as desired and serve.

Ooh, Joy, this sounds delicious too. I might substitute a store bought pecan pie crust with both recipes, just because….

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Her only grandchild has stepped up temporarily...

Thank God for that but with those injuries I expect at best a very long recovery.  Also, Thank God for the neighbors; sounds like they did everything right and one wrong move on their part would have been very harmful.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@HAL Sailer Goodness, I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew. What a freak accident!

Sandi, I'm not too surprised to see some of our Italian tourists loving Antico.  We also enjoyed a place called Sandi's but that was many moons ago.

Sharon, I hear you about foregoing a cruise and staying in Venice. Wishing we could do train travel as easy as it was before Allen's stroke. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, durangoscots said:

several friends and I went out to breakfast this morning to celebrate my birthday.

how lovely to have friends to celebrate with 👍 I have a feeling it was a wonderful day 🙂 

Happy Birthday Susan.  I hope the day just got better and better 

8E9C62BB-D9E4-40C4-910B-4D7FAAA7B693.jpeg.53de77bea6d20255f7d52cf906e46b98.jpeg8E9C62BB-D9E4-40C4-910B-4D7FAAA7B693.jpeg.53de77bea6d20255f7d52cf906e46b98.jpeg

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

A38F16C0-0210-402F-A789-3F0ADAEB71CE.thumb.jpeg.d6b33058ec2e5d678321736b89f9d7a8.jpeg

I see some lighter coloring showing up in her undercoat. I call it highlights! 🥰

I am so sorry you are still in prison - so glad you can find some joy in Sadie 👍. She is gorgeous 💕 and I agree - she has highlights - gorgeous girl 💗 

5 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

I am just without words on this horrific accident 😢 Thank God the neighbours could help successfully.  

Prayers for him and his recovery and for his mother’s care now 🙏🏻  So very sorry to hear this sad news, Melissa

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Greetings all from a hot and muggy St Louis today.

Sorry I have been gone so long, lots to keep me from the Daily. My DS & BIL came to visit for two weeks and we had a good time, BUT, my sister chose not to wear a mask in the Las Vegas airport or on the plane and several days into our visit she got what she thought was a respiratory infection. She got better, but then my BIL got the same, but also with a fever. They were convinced it was not Covid (my sister had a mild case early in the pandemic). They headed home, but the following week my DDs were sick and tested positive, then I got sick, it was Covid and today my DH tested positive too. Bummer. Doc put my older DD and myself on Paxlovid, which my husband can’t take because of heart issues. So he is on Molnupiravir. Our cases so far haven’t been bad, but even mild cases are not fun. My younger DD is toughing it out. 

To top off such fun times, we had bad storms come through overnight which took out our electric. Unfortunately, I was in my adjustable bed and the battery did not work, so there I was at 5 in the morning stuck in the bed. (Fortunately there are no videos.) DH could not get me out (did I mention he is in a walking cast for his torn ligament?) so it was a call to the paramedics to come rescue me. They were quite busy, there were extensive power outages all around us. We finally got electric back on around 3 in the afternoon. 

Never a dull moment around here. Enough bad news for now, I think another nap is in my future. I am keeping all who need them in my prayers 🙏 and a toast to those celebrating. 🥂

Take care all.

St Louis Sal

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11