The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 9th, 2022

richwmn

21 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! 

Sam gave us a bit of a scare yesterday. We knew going in when we adopted him that he had a severe case of Hip Dysplasia. We also knew that he would have a shortened life and that we would be the one's deciding it for him. He will be ten in November and tomorrow it will be the first anniversary of his "Furr-Ever Day" when we adopted him. Lately he has been reluctant to go outside when he should. I just thought it was the typical Malamute obstinence, and maybe reaction to the heat outside. I had started giving him a low dose of pain killer twice a day that was left over from our previous Malamute, Juno. Sam had also developed a need to be near someone through the day by crying in a little voice when left alone. He now sleeps most of the day like older dogs do.

It was a normal morning yesterday where I fed him and then put him in the yard until time for his walk. Strangely we didn't hear him stir like he usually does to let us know it was time for a walk about an hour later. Sue went down to get him and found that he could not stand up. His left rear leg is the worst of the two and drags along when walking. Somehow his right leg had been folded under the left so couldn't get it to move. By coaxing him to face a different direction we were able to gat him up. We then noticed that he had defecated while laying down. It was "Shades of Juno" at the end all over again! 

We called for an appointment to see his vet at the end of the day. She took notice that he is losing muscle in his rear legs which then exasperates the Hip Dysplasia. She prescribed the same pain killer but upped the dose slightly to three times a day. She also recommended water therapy to see how he would tolerate that. I will call today to find out more.

I didn't think that it would be this soon but I guess we are headed downhill now. With luck maybe 1-1/2 years. The vet made an interesting comment. With most dogs, you hope for warmer weather. But because the Northern Breeds tolerate Winter better, it is the opposite.  And even though in A/C most of the day, they still have trouble with the increased humidity.

An Update on my Brother: He seems to be holding his own with no further change. It is really wearing on my DSIL as I could tell from her voice. She only has one traveling nurse helping her with his care. Luckily he seems able to sleep through the night.

RIP: Judith Durham (The Seekers), Olivia Newton-John, and David McCullough.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Sorry to hear about Sam.

Hopefully the extra pain relief will help  his walking which  will improve  his muscle wastage in his rear legs.

Prayers 🙏 for your brother and his wife.

Graham 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich, and to Roy for the Care and Celebration List.

📖I am a book lover, too. In fact, I'll meet with the book club this afternoon to discuss The Venice Sketchbook. I did finish The Maid and now am reading Two Nights in Lisbon. Last month we discussed The Island of Missing Trees.

😊 🙏Happy Tuesday and prayers for all in need.

Katie

20220809_071606.jpg

• Like 25
  • Haha 3

Good morning friends. Just getting in from weeding, watering, and feeding our birds. 100 degrees due today, then supposed to dip into high 90's the rest of the week.

I learned to polka at an early age. My great aunts and uncles played accordion,  banjo, guitar and drums. Every Sunday would be music and wonderful Bohemian foods.

As for books, I love them in any form. When we had our bed and breakfast every room had full book shelves and we had a small library on the first floor.

image.png.9ae16941f28ca598fba77aeb4531608e.png

Debbie I love Pho and you chose some great recipes. Thank you.

Sandi it's good to hear from you and sounds like you're having a great visit.

Love to Jacqui and Little Shadow DD.

It was a late night yesterday with food and games. We played a game called Off Topic and had some laughs.

Today we are joining a couple for lunch at our pub here in Sun City. Big salad and chicken wings. Yum.

Prayers lifted for all on our Roy's list and mine. Jack I added Sam to my book but I'm sure he will end up on Roy's Daily cares as well. Xx

• Like 28

@marshhawk I love the Lord of the Rings books too, I haven't re-read them in a couple of years, but I re-read The Hobbit recently.

@superoma I read 3 of Louise Penny's Gamache series so far this summer,  I'll be reading more.

@smitty34877Thanks for the suggestion for John Banville, I'll check him out.

@Heartgrove I'm sorry to hear about Sam's troubles.  Glad you are there to look after him.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  and thanks all,  hoping Tana improves soon!  
I love books,  prefer real ones but love my kindle for travel,  sure helps with the suitcase weight.

I too read a lot,  currently reading the Post mistress of Paris, just finished an interesting nonfiction called Red Notice that helps one understand oligarchs and Russia.  Really enjoyed Beneath a Scarlet Sky based on a true story of a young Italian during WW2. 

I’ve enjoyed Louise Penney’s later books, particularly the one set in Paris and State of Terror that she co-wrote with Hilary Clinton.   I like reading about places we’ve travelled to.  Really enjoyed Pachinko set in Japan.  Also love Lisa See, particularly Island of the Sea Women.  
I’ll stop now, lol! 

image.thumb.png.18165f827c6740882627d41e2434d83d.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good Afternoon from a warm but cloudy day at the beach

Another launch tonite so hope the clouds disappear so we can see it.

We are all great readers here. I read everyday if only for a short time.  After I retired a few years ago, I went back to reading the classics, something I have really enjoyed. Probably more so now then when I was required to.

My whole family learned the polka when we were kids. We always enjoyed it. 

I received an email last nite from HAL changing my return flight. I know it will probably change many more times but this one just wont work. It has us leaving Sydney at 11:30 am same day as debarkation. There is no way we would make that flight. It was originally 2pm. So I have to call .   Remember when we traveled, and the hardest thing was figuring out what to put in the suitcase?  

Hope everyone is doing well.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 24

Good morning. Sunny and dry here. We did not have any rain yesterday, so I did not get to see if the latest roof repair really worked. Hopefully later this week. I dashed out early this morning to get to the hospital lab to get a blood draw. Managed to beat the crowds and was in and out in about 20 minutes. Sometimes you just get lucky. Now to wait for the results.

I love books.... have way too many of them. Life others I read the real thing... but also have my kindle for travel. I am starting to take some of mine to the library or to the thrift store. I need to clear off shelves and then dismantle some book cases. My back bedroom does not have room for visitors. I think I would love the meal. I am not much of a wine drinker. And I have not been to Angola.

@HeartgroveHope Sam improves. Malamutes are wonderful dogs. I know we all worry about our old dogs as we see them begin to lose that doggie zest for life.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
typo
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I can appreciate book lovers day; I like real books at home, but ebooks for travel. A salute to int'l indigenous people. Polka is big here due to a large Polish descent population; people always polka at weddings here. Excellent quote.

I've never had pho. I'll take a regular pina colada instead, and the wine (although a bit pricey for me).

I haven't been to Luanda. Hoping to see some photos.

It's a bit cooler today, with some passing rainstorms. I ended up doing edging and then mowing yesterday. I think I wore myself out in the heat, because I slept 9 hours! But as I was falling asleep, I got the dreaded muscle cramp in my thigh, despite having drunk 32 ounces of PowerAde. I recalled some advice from the Daily and got out of bed and walked a bit. It eased up and I was able to fall asleep. Just heard of a data breach of my health system (some employee clicked on a compromising email); I already have years of free "protection" from other data breaches.

@kazu I hope you're doing ok.

@marshhawk Love the new hairdo! Another LOTR fan here.

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Tana.

@StLouisCruisers It sounds like you're having a fun time.

@Heartgrove Sorry to hear of Sam's new issues. Good that your brother is holding his own and I hope DSIL can get more help.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Books.....I work with Friends of the Winter Haven Florida Public Library.

We take used book donations, run an incredible used book store and contribute more than $100,000.00 each year from the sale of used books to making our library better... with computers, children's programs, enhanced reading area, free book kiosks in the parks  and much more...and it's all about the books and encouraging more people, especially young people to read.

Best volunteer job I've ever had.

• Like 30

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for today’s Daily Rich and thanks to all for sharing. 

We’ve had an active monsoon season so far. Last night we had a huge storm and my weather app says we got 1.85”. The water in the pool is at the top of the tile. Rain is forecasted for the next 10 days. 

I don’t read much except for magazines and cookbooks. I just purchased two of Joanna Gaines cookbooks. Craig is always reading and carries a book everywhere. 

@Heartgrove So sorry about Sam. I’m sure you will do everything possible to better his life and pain. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

IMG_20220808_160646217.jpg

WOW!  Carlisle DCV Zin.

Carlisle is one of my favorite Zinfandel makers.   Every solicitation I receive from them is turned around immediately.

I must add that meal looks pretty darned good, also.

• Like 17

Just now, XBGuy said:

WOW!  Carlisle DCV Zin.

Carlisle is one of my favorite Zinfandel makers.   Every solicitation I receive from them is turned around immediately.

I must add that meal looks pretty darned good, also.

We love Carlisle. I have been on their mailing list for 16 years.  🍷

• Like 12

Good afternoon.  Not a lot going on around here except, the parts needed to hook the water lines up to the new faucet in the motorhome came in today.  I just finished getting the new faucet hooked up.  The best part was there were no leaks when DH turned the water on and ran some in the sink.  Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 it remains leak free after we driver the motorhome over some rough roads,

@Heartgrove  Jack, I'm sorry Sam is having more problems with the hip dysplasia.  I hope the pain medication will help.  I know you will give him the best quality of life for as long as possible.  I'm glad  you brother is holding his own, and I hope your DSIL can get more help to take care of him.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, I'm glad Arizona is getting much needed rain.  From pictures posted on a Quartzsite FB page, they are also getting rain.  There are pictures of a lot water flowing down the main wash that runs through town.

I think I'll take the rest of the afternoon off and read some of the book I started the other day.  I am reading Ken Follett's latest novel Never, which is set in current times.  It is more than 800 pages, so it will take a while to finish it.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

A beautiful day in Scotland. Great countryside vistas and we stopped at some distillery’s. In Dornoch tonight staying in quaint Dornach Castle. Just a wonderful experience.

Dinner is ordered and having a venison dish and gals partridge.

Thanks for report and post.

image.thumb.jpeg.4259e5ba0005dfa022cfb4ecafc07c0d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e67567fb238845b734b82b690b5351f4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.053f49e0bda6979b31db24f6f95e86a1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c12c9d8d30c3d98998da5c73df5d3d15.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.57f83ce16b8a24c22d6165de524dc703.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.47dcf7719583339c11c437026efe630e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4320b3f967185506bd95a496871124c8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb09c94c37875e935e930bdc949ce941.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.22ef2a9b1de18d9a8ca33fb9faf04743.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.36b62a59f66d938e66b3fc26a33bcfdd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a359093b3386171da7acd1b818539433.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f71e50841710e639ff33f03a3094c33c.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, 0106 said:

I am a book lover, an actual book, not an ereader.  I am lucky enough to have a wonderful public library with a drive through window.  I order books online and pick the up weekly.  I enjoy mysteries,  the best one I read this year was called “The Maid" by Nita Prose.  I also like historical fiction, I suggest “Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus about a woman chemist in the 1960s.

I’d love to hear about the best books you read this year.

don't laugh but since the world is full of negative news etc, I have gone retro and I am re-reading all my Bobbsey Twins books and Nancy Drew books.  I do mingle in current books as well.

• Like 24

6 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

don't laugh but since the world is full of negative news etc, I have gone retro and I am re-reading all my Bobbsey Twins books and Nancy Drew books.  I do mingle in current books as well.

No laughing here.  I escape into Narnia, The Secret Garden, etc. etc.  Even the Daily is sometimes too rich for my blood.  

There's a lot to be stressed out about these days.  Whatever works....

• Like 22

4 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

No laughing here.  I escape into Narnia, The Secret Garden, etc. etc.  Even the Daily is sometimes too rich for my blood.  

There's a lot to be stressed out about these days.  Whatever works....

yup   and I just finished watching all the Andy Griffith Shows on DVD - all the seasons.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Nice afternoon in Western Colorado!  Heard about some AZ storms from my Dsis--she lost a Saguaro in her front yard, and the patio. furniture was moved several feet!

I "celebrate". book lovers day for all others, but for me it is a no-go!  Ever since my DH died, over 5 years ago, I just can't read very much at all.  Still working on Michener's ALASKA (3rd time) for a year ago.  Wanted to read it again before my cruise last August!  I used to read constantly, but it is such a struggle for me anymore.  Wish it wasn't so!

@HeartgroveI am so sorry about Sam.  We went through the hip dsyplasa, and it is so hard to watch a loved pet suffer and try so hard.  You will certainly be a comfort to your beloved pet and I hope the medication helps.

I just finished starting an easy recipe for overnight refrigerator Bread and Butter pickles.  I have done it for several years, and know that the recipients of the jars of pickles love them as much as I do.  Will finish tomorrow, and probably go for more pickling cucumbers in a couple of days!

@smitty34877, sending best wishes for Tana's breathing to improve.  Hope that her most recent bout with COVID won't set her back.  Such an awful disease.

@rafinmd, thanks for my inclusion on the Cares list, but I am glad I am not on it any longer. My disease is something I will live with for the rest of my life.  When we volunteered after 09/11, we certainly didn't anticipate such consequences, but I have expected it ever my DH was diagnosed in 2013.  So, far, my symptoms aren't progressing very fast.

Have a great rest of the day, everyone!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2