The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 27th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning, Dailyites.  Cheers to everyone posting, and I can see there are good times ahead.  Bon Voyages and Happy Times for all!  There was something in the paper today about people quarantining not having to do it anymore, so I will have to check our requirements.  Actually, I only have to isolate until October 2, so perhaps I will get a day off for good behaviour.  

DD had her newest booster last Saturday - she got the new  Moderna bivalent, and felt really miserable for a day after.  She seems fine now, just a bit of a sore arm.  She's hoping that will protect her from us!  I think now we have to postpone getting one for a few months.

I was so tired yesterday afternoon, I slept for 2 hours and then couldn't sleep last night.  We're both still coughing today.  But at least we are home and not stuck in a hotel somewhere in the wilds of Vancouver...

I wonder what is going to happen now with Covid restrictions being lifted.  It will become something that is part of our lives all the time, I guess.  I remember in Kenya we used to wonder why everyone was "so lazy", and finally we realized that everyone had malaria and was struggling with their everyday lives, tired all the time and probably suffering with "brain fog".  Now the whole world will be that way with Covid.  Sorry to be a downer today.  This too shall pass!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A late good morning from a sunny. cooler, windy central Texas.  Today is laundry day, and so far I'm keeping up with it and also got the sheets changed.

DH and I are in a pleasant state of mild shock.  He called the spine surgeon early this morning for an appointment.  We expected a wait of weeks if not months, but he has an appointment at 1:15 this afternoon in Waco!  👏 👍

World forgiveness is good, but as @grapau27 said, somethings just can't be forgiven, much less forgotten.  Fortunately, in Texas once you are registered to vote, you remain registered unless they purge the voter lists.  Every two years, we receive a new voter registration card by mail, except this year DH did not get his.  He called the county Elections Administer.s office and was told he is registered.  We like to think we are travelers, but not tourists.  However, when we are in a place for the first time, we're probably tourists.  😄

The Edgar Allan Poe quote is rather strange like it's author.

The meal, in all it's varieties sounds good.  Since I cook them in a skillet, I guess our chicken fajitas might count as skillet chicken.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Havre-Saint- Pierre yet.

@cat shepard  Ann, IIRC, @MISTER 67 is the Dailyite from Punta Gorda.

@HAL4NOW   I sincerely hope the fire fighters can keep the fire from entering Skyskomish, and that the all residents are safe.  Safe travels tomorrow if you are able to get home.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope you find your earring. 

@kazu  Jacqui, that's wonderful news about the Christmas/ New Year's cruise.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, sorry about that spider bite. I don't want to alarm your, but I hope it wasn't a brown recluse spider snice their bites can be serious.  I think after a cruise ends, all the lost items that are not claimed are sent to Seattle.  

Lenda

Good news your DH got an appointment with the spine surgeon for today Lenda.

Best wishes for good news.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Interesting days - as others have said, I'd rather be called a traveler than a tourist. Not sure about the quote, will pass on the drink but the meal and wine both sound very good.  But tonight will be a nice dinner (that I won't be cooking) because it's our anniversary.

Hoping we have some photos today of the port, have never been to this one.  

Debbie @dfishhoping the seller accepts your offer today.

Geri @ger_77we also saw Jupiter last night!  When I looked the first time, it hadn't risen above the trees across the street so I was looking at the wrong one -- then later WOW what a difference and a thrill to see it so bright and big!  Very thankful we had a clear night here to see it.

@HAL4NOWthank you for the update this morning.  We need some rain!  Your news would explain why we smelled smoke later last night for the first time in over a week.

Happy Anniversary.

Screenshot_20210822_162032.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Good group of days, and as last minute excitement hits, I could use hibiscus water as a meal about now! All our bags are packed, except the last things in the carry-ons. Today is final bits getting the condo tidied. DHs cousin will be staying here most of the time, so it’s not like we’re shutting it down. This is our last morning at home until mid May, so there’s some winterized going in the small garden to be done. In an hour, I do the online check in for our flight to Montreal. This is really going to happen!

Canada and HAL just changed testing regulations for our first leg leaving, and we sail the first day they are in effect. Being fully vaccinated, we don’t need a Covid test! This morning I cancelled our appointments for a proctored test.

Over the next nearly eight months I will post when I can, with a picture of where we are. There are some exciting ports in store. If anyone is interested, my travel blog is called A Passport in My Parasol. I don’t think I’m allowed to post a link, but if you Google that title, I'm what comes up.

Even though the smoke is coming in from Washington State again, Jupiter was bright and easy to see. With the Moon mode on my camera zoomed in, I could see three of Jupiter’s moons as well. Nothing else in the sky showed through at all. @HAL4NOW I can only imagine how sick of all the smoke you must be. Now that everything here smells like a campfire again, I just can’t wait to be out of here tomorrow!

My thoughts are with everyone in the maritime cleaning up from Fiona, and those in Florida bracing for Ian.

Happy Tuesday, everyone. Tomorrow I start my journey towards my BHB!

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the anniversary wishes 

@JazzyV, @Sharon in AZ(prayers that you can get some relief from your psoriasis, you need to enjoy our cruise!), @bennybear, @Quartzsite Cruiser(very glad your DH was able to get an appointment with the spine surgeon today!), @dfish, @puppycanducruise, and @grapau27.  It's all very much appreciated!  Oh my how fast 53 years can pass!!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you for the anniversary wishes 

@JazzyV, @Sharon in AZ(prayers that you can get some relief from your psoriasis, you need to enjoy our cruise!), @bennybear, @Quartzsite Cruiser(very glad your DH was able to get an appointment with the spine surgeon today!), @dfish, @puppycanducruise, and @grapau27.  It's all very much appreciated!  Oh my how fast 53 years can pass!!

Yes!  Happy Anniversary!

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Good group of days, and as last minute excitement hits, I could use hibiscus water as a meal about now! All our bags are packed, except the last things in the carry-ons. Today is final bits getting the condo tidied. DHs cousin will be staying here most of the time, so it’s not like we’re shutting it down. This is our last morning at home until mid May, so there’s some winterized going in the small garden to be done. In an hour, I do the online check in for our flight to Montreal. This is really going to happen!

Canada and HAL just changed testing regulations for our first leg leaving, and we sail the first day they are in effect. Being fully vaccinated, we don’t need a Covid test! This morning I cancelled our appointments for a proctored test.

Over the next nearly eight months I will post when I can, with a picture of where we are. There are some exciting ports in store. If anyone is interested, my travel blog is called A Passport in My Parasol. I don’t think I’m allowed to post a link, but if you Google that title, I'm what comes up.

Even though the smoke is coming in from Washington State again, Jupiter was bright and easy to see. With the Moon mode on my camera zoomed in, I could see three of Jupiter’s moons as well. Nothing else in the sky showed through at all. @HAL4NOW I can only imagine how sick of all the smoke you must be. Now that everything here smells like a campfire again, I just can’t wait to be out of here tomorrow!

My thoughts are with everyone in the maritime cleaning up from Fiona, and those in Florida bracing for Ian.

Bon Voyage and safe travels to Montreal!  I remember checking your blog out once, so thank you for the reminder.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Sharon, have you contacted the manufacturer? My rheumatologist has a dedicated pharmacy person in their office who helps with these expensive meds (I'm on Kevazra which would run $4k-$5k a month out of pocket). My insurance did come around later and say they'd cover this non-formulary medication at $100/month, but I'd already been approved for getting it free from the manufacturer.

@Horizon chaser 1957 You're off on your great adventure! Thanks for mentioning your blog. Safe travels and have a wonderful time!

Yes, it was the manufacturer support that I was speaking with yesterday.  I haven't seen a rheumatologist yet and probably won't until January because that is how far out they are booking.  One group won't schedule me until they get the referral so it's a waiting game with that.  I've decided that I'll work on the medication the slow way and not worry about it for the next month while we are away.  Crazy thing is this is just the interim medication until I get approved for the biologic.   The steroid injection is helping and is supposed to last one to two months.  I really appreciate your help Vanessa, every little bit helps. 

• Like 23

RNB reporting live from the Tampa Bay Area. Sorry, no Jimmy Cantore. I have been missing in action preparing for the big storm. Just completed everything to secure the property. Last night the 11 pm future position of the storm was going right over the house and today it has shifted a little South. Big thing I see now is rain, lots of rain. Got the sandbags out and looks like I maybe fishing from the window of the house 😀. Hope for the best for everyone in the path of the storm.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Good day Dailyites!!

Thank you Rich and all who contribute to this thread. I so enjoy the cartoons especially.

Woke up on NS about 8am to a little fog but not enough for the whistle. We are cruising at around 10 knots due to Right Whale activity. Pretty much right north of Gaspe on the map atm. 5 ft swells tops according to Capt O'Driscoll, almost smooth as glass from our perspective. About 52F with some sun. Dressy night tonight. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

I saw your menu for tonight on the Navigator app -- The Silver Gala menu.  Hopefully it will be the same menu for us during our cruise. I'll take the Orange Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Caesar Salad, Filet Mignon Oscar, and Chocolate Souffle.  YUM!  What are you having?

33 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

It’s official! I have quit my dishwashing job!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Congratulations! 

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A late good morning from a sunny. cooler, windy central Texas.  Today is laundry day, and so far I'm keeping up with it and also got the sheets changed.

DH and I are in a pleasant state of mild shock.  He called the spine surgeon early this morning for an appointment.  We expected a wait of weeks if not months, but he has an appointment at 1:15 this afternoon in Waco!  👏 👍

World forgiveness is good, but as @grapau27 said, somethings just can't be forgiven, much less forgotten.  Fortunately, in Texas once you are registered to vote, you remain registered unless they purge the voter lists.  Every two years, we receive a new voter registration card by mail, except this year DH did not get his.  He called the county Elections Administer.s office and was told he is registered.  We like to think we are travelers, but not tourists.  However, when we are in a place for the first time, we're probably tourists.  😄

The Edgar Allan Poe quote is rather strange like it's author.

The meal, in all it's varieties sounds good.  Since I cook them in a skillet, I guess our chicken fajitas might count as skillet chicken.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Havre-Saint- Pierre yet.

@cat shepard  Ann, IIRC, @MISTER 67 is the Dailyite from Punta Gorda.

@HAL4NOW   I sincerely hope the fire fighters can keep the fire from entering Skyskomish, and that the all residents are safe.  Safe travels tomorrow if you are able to get home.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope you find your earring. 

@kazu  Jacqui, that's wonderful news about the Christmas/ New Year's cruise.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, sorry about that spider bite. I don't want to alarm your, but I hope it wasn't a brown recluse spider snice their bites can be serious.  I think after a cruise ends, all the lost items that are not claimed are sent to Seattle.  

Lenda

Lenda, that's really good news about the doctor appointment for DH!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
spelling
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@Sharon in AZ

I also have psoriasis and it can be very painful. To date I am able to use the prescription salve but it does thin your skin and I only use it for breakouts. Thank goodness we have Tricare for life. They will cover the med if I need it in the future. I hope you find some relief! Xx

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon from a cloudy but warm day at the beach

We are done with storm prep. It will just be a tropical storm here. Our issue will be flooding and because the ground is already so saturated, trees falling down along with power outages. We hope for the best.

Thank You to Roy @rafinmd. My luggage is now gone.  I called Luggage Forward and they agreed that the best thing to do would be drop off at UPS today. She said it would be a wise thing to get it in transit as soon as possible. So thank you. It was dropped off first thing this AM. 

@Horizon chaser 1957 Have a wonderful and safe trip. It sounds wonderful.

@Cruising-along A very Happy Anniversary to you and DH. May you enjoy many more.

The city has requested that we limit our water usage during the storm. So I have to finish up some laundry and run the dishwasher . Then it will be paper plates etc for a few days.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Good day Dailyites!!

Thank you Rich and all who contribute to this thread. I so enjoy the cartoons especially.

Woke up on NS about 8am to a little fog but not enough for the whistle. We are cruising at around 10 knots due to Right Whale activity. Pretty much right north of Gaspe on the map atm. 5 ft swells tops according to Capt O'Driscoll, almost smooth as glass from our perspective. About 52F with some sun. Dressy night tonight. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

Hope you're having a great cruise and see some right whales!  We had an email this morning from our favourite server on the NS - Apinya, a Thai girl who works in the Tamarind and Lido - please, please, if you see her, give her a hug from Pat and Ann.  Tell her we miss her - we know she is missing her little boy.  

• Like 18

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

@Sharon in AZ

I also have psoriasis and it can be very painful. To date I am able to use the prescription salve but it does thin your skin and I only use it for breakouts. Thank goodness we have Tricare for life. They will cover the med if I need it in the future. I hope you find some relief! Xx

Thank you Joy!  I had no idea you have psoriasis.  Unfortunatley I also have psoriatic arthritis.  The most painful has been my palms, wrists and face.  I have 3 creams for different areas and they seem to help but the steroid shot helped the most even though it's just temporary.  My DM has Tricare for Life also and says the same thing!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Debbie, thank you for all the wonderful chicken skillet recipes.  I love the last one with the beans and thighs.  I had a hard time finding skin on thighs at Costco last week.   I hope your offer is accepted today! 

Continued prayers for all in the path of Ian.   

@Cruising-alongHappy Anniversary!!!  🍾

@Horizon chaser 1957 Bon Voyage!!  Have a wonderful cruise! ⛴️🍾

@Sharon in AZ I hope that you can get the medication that you need.   My sister is always having to fight the insurance company to get her biologic Enbrel for RA.    I was fortunate to start Enbrel in 1999 and the insurance company seems to leave me alone except for an annual prior auth.   I had one spot of psoriasis show up about 5 years ago.   I treated it with topical steroid and being already on Enbrel it never spread.  Last year around Christmas it just waned away.   My migraines seem to be taking a holiday.  I don't think I have had 6 since we went to the cabin in May.  Fingers crossed.  

We decided to cancel our trip to Baltimore.  I looked at a weather website from a former weather guy in Baltimore and he had all the models and I just made a decision to cancel.  I just listed my Bills tickets at face price because I think a lot of tickets will be unloaded on the exchange in the next couple of days.  Better to get them sold.   All my friends and family understand and we have next year to try again.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I saw your menu for tonight on the Navigator app -- The Silver Gala menu.  Hopefully it will be the same menu for us during our cruise. I'll take the Orange Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Caesar Salad, Filet Mignon Oscar, and Chocolate Souffle.  YUM!  What are you having?

That sounds pretty good actually!! :classic_biggrin:

25 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you Joy!  I had no idea you have psoriasis.  Unfortunatley I also have psoriatic arthritis.  The most painful has been my palms, wrists and face.  I have 3 creams for different areas and they seem to help but the steroid shot helped the most even though it's just temporary.  My DM has Tricare for Life also and says the same thing!

My dermatologist told me in February I may have eczema and psoriasis but both can be treated similarly. It's not common but my hands and elbows look different from my knees and face.

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Hope you're having a great cruise and see some right whales!  We had an email this morning from our favourite server on the NS - Apinya, a Thai girl who works in the Tamarind and Lido - please, please, if you see her, give her a hug from Pat and Ann.  Tell her we miss her - we know she is missing her little boy.  

Will do!! We sadly haven't seen any old familiar faces but we have made some new friends. And everyone knows our 4yo daughter's name. She is the youngest onboard of only 6 kids (which we expected) and quite the rock star. Me and dh, we are just her staff :classic_laugh:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Interesting days - as others have said, I'd rather be called a traveler than a tourist. Not sure about the quote, will pass on the drink but the meal and wine both sound very good.  But tonight will be a nice dinner (that I won't be cooking) because it's our anniversary.

Hoping we have some photos today of the port, have never been to this one.  

Debbie @dfishhoping the seller accepts your offer today.

Geri @ger_77we also saw Jupiter last night!  When I looked the first time, it hadn't risen above the trees across the street so I was looking at the wrong one -- then later WOW what a difference and a thrill to see it so bright and big!  Very thankful we had a clear night here to see it.

@HAL4NOWthank you for the update this morning.  We need some rain!  Your news would explain why we smelled smoke later last night for the first time in over a week.

Happy Anniversary to you both!🥂🎉

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good Morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'm sure all Dailyites appreciate world tourism day! Registering to vote is important and Forgiveness is something to strive to achieve. Not sure I agree with the quote.

I like the meal, pass on the drink and maybe on the wine.

I haven't been to Havre-Saint-Pierre, Quebec.

Another cloudy, spotty showers, chilly day. We may get some remnants of Ian on Sunday. BFF is coming over later, so I'll do some tidying beforehand.

@*Miss G* Sorry you had a restless night. Safe travels.

@HAL4NOW Oh my on that picture. And with the highway closure, can you get home?

@kazu Great memes. And good for you on the holiday cruise booking.

@Dismomx5 Safe travels and have a wonderful cruise!

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad DGD is going to a safer place. Good luck with the dentist appointment.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you find your earring. 

@ottahand7 Continued prayers for Frank. Be safe if you go to the game.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes and I hope you hear good news from the sellers soon.

@Seasick Sailor Oh no on the spider bite! Insects like you too much! Sorry you lost your earring.

@aliaschief Woohoo on the dishwasher installation!

@Cruising-along Happy Anniversary! 

@fatcat04 Enjoy your day at sea.

Prayers for the Care List, especially all in the path of Ian and Canada recovering from Fiona.

Cheers for the Celebration List. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Vanessa I have news on both fronts - DGD and the dentist.  She has checked in with her Mom and is safe in Jupiter.  No details on how difficult it was to get there but I hope to get more details later.  It's so nice of her friend's Grandma to take them in.  Bless her heart!

Also, I went to see our new dentist today.  The old one moved away a short distance and we could go to the him but still like our hygienist plus this office is closer.  Anyway, he took a look at the filling in question and said he felt it could wait.  Still had some life to it I guess.  Hygienist is the one who thought it needed to go but I'll take his advice this time instead.  So while I was there I made an appointment for the crown I need.  That is next Tuesday, then the final product will be installed about 3 weeks later.  I told her DH is having his crown appointment Wednesday a few hours after his dental cleaning, and she was able to get DH and I both in on Tuesday one right after the other.  Then DH can go in Wednesday for his cleaning only and not have that awkward 2 hour gap between appointments.

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Bon Voyage on your wonderful journey!  We really do hope you can stay in touch along the way.  Refresh my memory - after the Grand Africa, what areas are you cruising to?  Also, thank you for the name of your travel blog.  I've bookmarked it so I can follow along!

59 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

RNB reporting live from the Tampa Bay Area. Sorry, no Jimmy Cantore. I have been missing in action preparing for the big storm. Just completed everything to secure the property. Last night the 11 pm future position of the storm was going right over the house and today it has shifted a little South. Big thing I see now is rain, lots of rain. Got the sandbags out and looks like I maybe fishing from the window of the house 😀. Hope for the best for everyone in the path of the storm.

Please stay safe there in Tampa!  I'm relieved DGD is removed from the scene right now.  She's only been in Tampa about 2 years going to school there so hasn't been through a hurricane before.  I imagine they will get rain/wind/power outages in Jupiter too but not taking a direct hit seems much safer to me.  Prayers for you all in that area and please let us know how you fare.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! 
@Cruising-along happy anniversary!  
@aliaschief I think it’s a good reminder, as we often let our guard down here as we are among friends, but it is a public forum,  so caution is wise.

@kazu yay on the holiday cruise, it will be good to be in a different situation and lots of fun!  
@Sharon in AZyikes on the costs, hope that gets sorted! 

@ger_77 glad your DH can access his booster. 
I am not sure whether to take this moderna BA1,  or wait for the Pfizer for BA4/5. Or if I should visit the US to get that one if that’s possible?  Now without masking on the airplanes I’m more nervous.  Hard to know what is best as we all navigate these changing times! 

My friend is enjoying the Volendam, good food and other than some rain she’s enjoying the cruise, 

Stay safe all! 

F2A7E5DF-3FF9-4B6F-BAFE-097B16FF16BB.jpeg

Would you ask your cousin who the captain is and will he be at the helm the end of November. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Yes!  Happy Anniversary!

Roy

Thank you Roy!

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

@Cruising-along A very Happy Anniversary to you and DH. May you enjoy many more.

Charlene

Thank you Charlene 🙂  

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

@Cruising-alongHappy Anniversary!!!  🍾

Thank you! 

33 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Happy Anniversary to you both!🥂🎉

Thank you Sandi!

Laura @Horizon chaser 1957Bon Voyage, and have a wonderful time!!!

@RedneckBobplease stay safe!

@fatcat04Enjoy the NS!  I was so happy to see that your Captain is Noel O'Driscoll.  I was hoping he's Captain because we will board the NS on the 8th and he was Captain on the NS when we sailed in 2019.  He also performed our 50th wedding vow renewal then.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Those of you wondering who was the Dalyite from Punta Gorda, that would be me. I haven't been posting much lately but I do read the Report and Daily quite often. 

As far as Ian is concerned, it looks like landfall will be midday Wednesday in Venice which is about 25 miles northwest of our condo. We've have lived in Florida 29 years and have hunkered down for every hurricane since 1993 and am staying for this one, if we lived near the coast we would probably evacuate because of the storm surge.

Ian is almost on the same track as Charlie back in 2004 which did quite a bit of damage to Charlotte County. We also had a close encounter with Irma in 2017 and lost power for a week and of course Charlie in 2004.

Right now we have very light showers with a light breeze but we're going to get tons of rain depending how slow the storm passes by us with winds along the coast at 125 MPH and lower further inland.

If we continue to have power, I'll give some more updates tomorrow.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 17