The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday May 17th, 2023

richwmn

2 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Had to go look at my pictures but I went to Falmouth my last cruise.  Interesting place but not necessarily one I clamor to go back to.  Took an excursion to Dunn's Fall which I did enjoy.

IMG_9718.JPG

IMG_9685.JPG

IMG_9679.JPG

IMG_9656.JPG

IMG_9652.JPG

IMG_9629.JPG

IMG_9611.JPG

IMG_9607 2.JPG

Nice photos.

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Falmouth is another cruise line built port.  It's owned by Royal Caribbean but they will happily accept fees by others.  It is actually though part of the town of Falmouth.  If we only get 3 reports on it they may be very different. 

Falmouth and Ocho Rios are very close, about 30 to 40 miles.apart.  @Mtn2Sea rafted on Martha Brae river.  @Nickelpenny went to Dunn's River Falls.  I did that as well but it is very close to Ocho Rios and my visit was from there on the Crystal Symphony.  I visited Falmouth in 2015 on the Grandeur of the Seas and I did a "Heritage Walking Tour" of the town of Falmouth.  Crime may have not been as great a concern in 2015 and of course we were accompanied by a couple of local guides,  I'll start with a view of the port from the ship:

falmouthport.jpg

One of the first stops was the court house.  Note the alternating yellow and white squares on the trim,

courthouse.jpg

We visited several churches on our walk.  The first was the Walter Knibb Baptist.

knibbchurch.jpg

Knibb was a leader in the emancipation movement and when slavery was abolished about the 1830's he buried a pair of shackles signifying the end of slavery.  Today a monument stands above the shackles.

shackles.jpg

The Anglican church was not just lovely but also a rest stop.

anglican1.jpg

anglican3.jpg

anglican4.jpg

We stopped at a traditional house marked by wide porticos  and thick walls to cope with Jamaica's oppressive heat.

tradhouse1.jpg

@Nickelpenny mentioned rafting on the Martha Brae river,  I walked to the mouth of the Martha Brae in town and it was not at all attractive,  It was also an excursion on my cruise and was glad to see that it was nicer further upstream.

marthabrae.jpg

There is a bit more information and more pictures on my blog post for that day:

https://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/day-15-friday-march-27-falmouth-jamaica/

Roy

Interesting photos and descriptions Roy.

We have never been but I have heard it can be a dangerous place to visit now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Welcome back @richwmn Rich. Don’t have to answer but I’m curious did you have much of a weight gain on World Cruise? One of my concerns on my up and coming World Voyage.

I was surprised that it was only 7 pounds. I must have done good!

• Like 21

I have just been to the podiatrist and he has made a memory foam mold of my feet to make inserts to put in my shoes.

We bought some snacks and have eaten them overlooking the sea.

IMG_20230517_161335.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 19

I'm afraid the smoke is making its way here now, the sky is quite white.  Not yellow yet, but I imagine that will happen.  It is all very unfortunate, the prairies need rain desperately.

Good morning, all, the cleaning lady will be here soon, so I'd better go and tidy up before she gets here.  She called and said she would have to leave a bit early as she had been told to go to the doctor late morning, that's fine with us, more can be done next time.   I have been to Jamaica, but it was a long, long time ago, I know I was there because I have a gold charm (remember charm bracelets?) of the island.  But I have no desire to visit nowadays.  We had burrata in Iceland last year - a very interesting texture.  All the best to all the Dailyites!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

I'm not sure if this relates to the original purpose of World Telecommunications and Information Society Day but I'll post it anyway.  During the Covid shutdown my church installed some new equipment and has been using a pretty sophisticated system to livestream the services.  Each week it requires 2 people to run the equipment and the team recently put out a request for additional help.  I got some training on the system and will debut on May 28 and June 4.  As one who frequently "attends" from home I appreciate it and decided it's my time to support it.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good sunny morning. It’s very cool outside and supposed to be cold tonight.

Fluff is doing Okay, her breathing is good and she doesn’t seem to be in pain . We have an appointment with our regular vet tomorrow evening.🤞

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks all!  
We love Burratta that we first had in Italy,  it is so creamy!  So the dinner sounds good, but maybe as a side dish?

I’m sorry to share the smoke with Anne and Gerry.  It did rain over night but it is still very bad.  Hoping for improvement tomorrow.  DH went to the dentist and in just going out once you can smell it in the house. Grateful for hepa filters! 

On a happier note we saw this little guy and his mom presmoke. 

DSC_0142.jpeg

DSC_0135.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

image.png.d5a9f03e5b16ab94c8a464655daead5b.png

Good morning Dailyites, 

Had friends over for a nightcap last night and sat by the fire listening to music. I wanted to just spend the whole night out there..

Today we will drive to Pflugerville for a VA appointment and have lunch after.

I am definitely not a pack rat. If I buy 3 blouses, 3 come from the closet and goes to Goodwill. 

image.png.f8b71684510c46177a26c75dbfcad6cd.png

I feel sorry for those with smoke from the Canada fires. I saw on my news feed the thousands of acres burning. Prayers are lifted for all those needing an extra hug today. My heart aches for those suffering in Ukraine and the senseless murders.

I wish you a happy day and many blessings. Be kind. 

• Like 25

Good morning all!

For the first time it's good to be posting from the west coast and later than many others -- it looks like CC has gotten things under control now after the problems earlier.  Jacqui @kazudon't worry about it, it could easily have happened to any of us!  

We're having beautiful sunny weather this week, but now I'm worried about smoke after Ann @Vict0riannsaid she sees it in Victoria.  Usually we have the same weather etc.  Brenda @bennybearI'm glad you got some rain last night, I hope it helped some.

We had a good time with the family last night at Foster's 10th birthday dinner.  That boy is growing fast!  I'm 5'7" and he's up past my chin.  We were marveling at the amount of food he puts away too.  Two bowls of mac & cheese, french fries, several big donuts and a hot fudge sundae.  😲

Funny that today is pack rat day -- DSIL's DM was telling us last night that her DH has paperwork in the attic since 1977!!  He files it all under different categories -- !  I told her she has the patience of a saint.  Someone else said he's insulating the house with paperwork lol. As for us, I guess we're in the middle range.  We don't have a ton of things we've kept, but could get rid of some.  

I've inherited my DGM and DM's problems with hypertension.  I really like Gerry's @ger_77 idea of taking a photo of her at-home readings.  Mine is always higher at the doctor's office too.  

I'll pass on the drink, not a fan of sweet tea, and will pass on the red wine and the gnocchi.  Have never been to Jamaica.

Vanessa @JazzyVwe had the same problem with our mailman not holding our mail even though we had put in a mail hold.  It's always a struggle with our local P.O. it seems..

@1ANGELCATI'm glad to hear that Fluff seems to be doing ok this morning.  

Time to get that grocery list made, we didn't get around to getting it done yesterday.  Have a good day everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I need a new prescription for my BP medicine so I will be using my home machine for a few days, and then calling the doctor.  Usually he will refill for me that way, every year or so he wants to see me in the office.  

I’m making a long grocery list, too, preparing for the visitors.  

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I've inherited my DGM and DM's problems with hypertension.  I really like Gerry's @ger_77 idea of taking a photo of her at-home readings.  Mine is always higher at the doctor's office too.  

I agree and like @ger_77's idea.  My primary care trusts me to take it at home and send him the results through MyChart.  My problem is that with the excess cortisol from my adrenal mass, BP is hard to control.  Some days mine is just fine and other days it isn't.  It has never been high enough that my doctors wanted to send me to the ER.  Blood glucose can be iffy as well.  It is a good thing that the mass is coming out next Wednesday.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  We had just the right breeze to make my walk pleasant a few minutes ago.  With all the rain the past few weeks when I couldn't take my walks, I'm having to start slowly again.  

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Off to the dog shows shortly. Weather is going to be pretty warm in Farmington today but things will cool a bit the rest of the week. Durango is always about 10 degrees cooler. I suspect I will feel the heat.

Take care all. And I really understand what the those dealing with smoke are feeling. Fire is terribly scary and the smoke really triggers allergies and stress. Hope things get under control soon, but it takes awhile for the smoke and the stress to clear.

Susan

Safe travels today, Susan.

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I'm afraid the smoke is making its way here now, the sky is quite white.  Not yellow yet, but I imagine that will happen.  It is all very unfortunate, the prairies need rain desperately.

Good morning, all, the cleaning lady will be here soon, so I'd better go and tidy up before she gets here.  She called and said she would have to leave a bit early as she had been told to go to the doctor late morning, that's fine with us, more can be done next time.   I have been to Jamaica, but it was a long, long time ago, I know I was there because I have a gold charm (remember charm bracelets?) of the island.  But I have no desire to visit nowadays.  We had burrata in Iceland last year - a very interesting texture.  All the best to all the Dailyites!

Ann, I'm glad your cleaning lady could come today.  Sorry you're getting the smoke from the fires.

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I'm not sure if this relates to the original purpose of World Telecommunications and Information Society Day but I'll post it anyway.  During the Covid shutdown my church installed some new equipment and has been using a pretty sophisticated system to livestream the services.  Each week it requires 2 people to run the equipment and the team recently put out a request for additional help.  I got some training on the system and will debut on May 28 and June 4.  As one who frequently "attends" from home I appreciate it and decided it's my time to support it.

Roy

Roy, it's great you could step in and help with the livestreaming of the services.

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Fluff is doing Okay, her breathing is good and she doesn’t seem to be in pain . We have an appointment with our regular vet tomorrow evening.🤞

I'm happy that Fluff is breathing well and seems comfortable.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  
We love Burratta that we first had in Italy,  it is so creamy!  So the dinner sounds good, but maybe as a side dish?

I’m sorry to share the smoke with Anne and Gerry.  It did rain over night but it is still very bad.  Hoping for improvement tomorrow.  DH went to the dentist and in just going out once you can smell it in the house. Grateful for hepa filters! 

On a happier note we saw this little guy and his mom presmoke. 

DSC_0142.jpeg

DSC_0135.jpeg

Brenda, I hope you get more much needed rain and that the smoke clears.  I enjoyed seeing the pictures, thanks.

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

I agree and like @ger_77's idea.  My primary care trusts me to take it at home and send him the results through MyChart.  My problem is that with the excess cortisol from my adrenal mass, BP is hard to control.  Some days mine is just fine and other days it isn't.  It has never been high enough that my doctors wanted to send me to the ER.  Blood glucose can be iffy as well.  It is a good thing that the mass is coming out next Wednesday.

Debbie, I know you are anxious to get that mass out.  I hope next week's surgery goes well and the recovery is easy.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good Afternoon, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  I tried posting earlier but kept getting an error.  I had a morning full of meetings that lasted until 1:30.  Now it’s quiet for the moment.  It’s a beautiful day here, although a bit cooler and possible frost overnight.  DH is the pack rat in the family.  I’ve been trying to clean out things that are no longer needed. He tries to fill those spots with Lego.

Haven't decided what’s for dinner yet. I better figure it out soon.

@1ANGELCAT I’m glad to hear that Fluff is comfortable today. 
I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.5332f1b83a9bff8b7b3a9dc23875e235.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Happy Wednesday.  Today was the last day of Reading Buddies at our school.  Classes are done next week, and they have special activities each day.  I'll miss the little kiddos.  I think I might like the drink today, but not sure about the meal, and I'm not fond of wine.  I prefer beer, or a Brandy Old Fashioned! 

Hoping that the fires in Canada can be contained, and that the air can be cleared for the residents nearby.  

@lindalersorry to hear about your kayak incident...I always worry when we try to get out of our canoe...incidents have happened with us!  @1ANGELCATglad to hear that Fluff is feeling a little better today, it's so hard when our fur babies are not feeling well.  

I've started conditioning my straw bales, it's a 12 day fertilizing process before you plant things.  I have tomatoes and cucumbers ready to plant!  Have a good rest of your day, cheers and hugs to all who need them.  karen

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Firesmoke.ca will give you an interactive map showing not only where there are currently fires but also how the smoke is travelling.

had a lovely day out in the county and the fresh asparagus we had at lunch with my sister was quite good. Farm to table for sure as she lives only a couple of miles from the farm where the asparagus was cut.

jazzyv is enjoying the white asparagus in Germany right now. Aldi in the USA sells it in jars, good but nothing beats fresh in season.

• Like 18

Well, darn, we just can't seem to get the algae treatment and power wash done!  Right before time for Cody to show up it began thundering, lightning and raining very hard.  DH went to dial his number and the phone rang.  It was Cody calling to reschedule.  We will do this again after our graduation weekend trip to Michigan.  🤞

Yesterday I ended up doing 4 pages on the photo book I'm working on.  So far today I've done 3.5 pages and will get back to it shortly.  Trying to keep up here.  This morning when I posted at first I got that message about an update.  So I was relieved when we got back on that I only had one post and not duplicates because I refreshed a few times.  

7 hours ago, kazu said:

Sorry everyone.  I kept getting a message to wait 15 seconds to post.  I corrected the post (which doesn’t seem to have taken) and then CC was under maintenance.  Just got back and see all these posts and it’s too late to edit 😡. I’ve asked mods to delete but so sorry I made the thread cumbersome.

I hope you don't feel too bad about what happened with the clones but it certainly wasn't your fault.  The mods will take care of it eventually.  

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Happy Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  I am trying not to be too much of a Pack Rat, regularly monitor my blood pressure and we all rely heavily on telecommunication.  Interesting that Aristides did not continue on to the third running of the Preakness.  I like the Green quote and have been to Falmouth just once, on Grandeur of the Seas in 2015.  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Guanabana Soup, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Peach Crisp, supplemented by a Lido Barbecue as enjoyed on MS Veendam May 17, 2016:

bbq1.jpg

bbq2.jpg

bbq3.jpg

Roy

Looks like fun!  I remember those days when cooking on deck was allowed.  Wish they'd bring that back again.

6 hours ago, Mtn2Sea said:

We were in Falmouth in January while aboard the Zuiderdam.  We chose an excursion that took us on a rafting trip on the Martha Brae river.  We got on a bamboo river raft built for two and then glided slowly down the river, which meanders gently through whispering groves of bamboo and ferns.  After our three mile rafting journey that lasted 75 minutes, we went to Montego Bay for a “shopping opportunity” before returning to the ship.

9CBBC5A0-3AF5-42AA-A9FD-FB57393939A9.thumb.jpeg.099af6e7dd48038ebf2a314dfc7b8c08.jpeg

9DD314F9-DED4-43BF-9FB5-40F6DDD4FAF6.thumb.jpeg.098a9382516dba037e525741c4d52188.jpeg

C2732ADD-FDA5-43D6-9A59-859AC9E69D15.thumb.jpeg.068af43503e2477b970e14eb5ca6b389.jpeg

81CD4C64-FBBC-4A3E-8C26-79282BAF6033.thumb.jpeg.dec96f5fff6bc01aec56bdf81bbb69ef.jpeg

E91708C3-A9D0-4D81-82C4-489D3D6EAAFC.thumb.jpeg.115963e191cc483cf9ef152af4d6df7b.jpeg

D2457C96-C9F7-48B4-8A9A-B3D0BFE660A4.thumb.jpeg.9c46913122f13d75e47035ac4c87e6b5.jpeg

Shopping opportunities at the port area.

5688C9CF-F7C5-4AB8-ABC5-8CDF2C03A9EC.thumb.jpeg.419b9cfe55d3a021545a3a7daba50891.jpeg

DD42C613-1E77-4EFA-906D-9AB982F84432.thumb.jpeg.4e7ecd91f09c1964ac2d248d735e869d.jpeg

Thanks for your nice photos of your excursion out of Falmouth.

6 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning,

Happy Wednesday.  

Sounds like CC is having their problems this morning.  I enjoyed reading @kazu’s post multiple times LOL.  it was fun.

Thank you @richwmn Rich for getting us started.  Nice to have you back.  Hope you are getting settled.

Interesting collection of days.

DH would win a prize for the World’s greatest pack rat.  i don’t know how to get rid of the stuff he hoards.   Hypertension.  That is my problem and I am always trying to keep it under control. Telecommunications and Information Society Day.  That is a mouthful. What would we do without a phone!  

Not sure about the meal.  Wine price is a bit high and I will pass on the drink

Have not been to Falmouth, Jamaica,.

Jim slept a bit better last night, Not great, but better.  That means it was better for me.  Today he cannot nap all day since we will have activity here.

So today we are finally getting our new dryer.  The phone call yesterday told us it will be delivered between 3:30 and 5:30.  Guess we are last on the delivery list.  That does not make me happy.  Maybe we will be lucky.  We had the same message with the washer and then we received a phone call in the morning of delivery and they asked if the could come earlier.  Hope the same thing happens today.

I have to clear a pathway in the garage for them to deliver the dryer to move all of Jim’s junk.  We had a clean garage before the flood,  However since the flood, not everything has been put back where it belongs and now that he is unable to do stuff, it falls on me. Oh Happy Day!

Hope everyone has a good day.

God Bless,

Terri

I hope the dryer arrives safe and sound.  Good luck getting the garage sorted out.

6 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Had to go look at my pictures but I went to Falmouth my last cruise.  Interesting place but not necessarily one I clamor to go back to.  Took an excursion to Dunn's Fall which I did enjoy.

IMG_9718.JPG

IMG_9685.JPG

IMG_9679.JPG

IMG_9656.JPG

IMG_9652.JPG

IMG_9629.JPG

IMG_9611.JPG

IMG_9607 2.JPG

Good photos of your time in Jamaica.

6 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone. 

When I first logged in, I was afraid to post, but it seems that the issue has been resolved as the latest posts are not cloning at a rapid rate.  It is a chilly start to the day and temps are only supposed to get up to 60F.  That's fine. We'll have a good walk and then I want to do some weeding in the garden.  Nothing else on the agenda today, which is great.  

I think I am going with @rafinmd Roy's alternative meal due to the carbs in the gnocchi.  Gnocchi seems kind of heavy to me, but perhaps the supporting menu items help with that.  I had never heard of burrata before.  Burrata is an Italian cow milk (occasionally buffalo milk) cheese made from mozzarella and cream. The outer casing is solid cheese, while the inside contains stracciatella and cream, giving it an unusual, soft texture. It is typical of Puglia.

burrata.thumb.jpg.74bcfa18df6d3360b347af6c4f28c65f.jpg

This first recipe is roasted bell peppers and gnocchi topped with the cheese and a balsamic glaze.  https://imapampchef.com/2022/03/29/sheet-pan-burrata-caprese-gnocchi-delish/

sheetpanburratagnocchi1.jpg.3929d53cbb4b2353da4a7e4f05bf0099.jpg

This next one replaces the bell peppers with cherry or grape tomatoes.  https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/caprese-gnocchi-sheet-pan/

sheetpanburratagnocchi2.thumb.jpg.15e6e20fe172e67b59f5f4b1338b3c04.jpg

The last recipe adds in some white beans.   https://kelliesfoodtoglow.com/2019/04/24/caprese-gnocchi-burrata-recipe/

sheetpanburratagnocchi3.thumb.jpg.18803a430c192f855fc07f23a6a8e9c8.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

I think I'll join you in enjoying Roy's menu today!

6 hours ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. It is a beautiful day here. It has been getting very warm but I still enjoy the random lightning storms. On my Monday night kayak trip we had a wonderful time but I returned bruised and battered from my disembarking. Apparently my kayak was on a rock and as I tried to get out the whole thing tipped over on top of me and I ended up sitting in the water up to my chest. I managed to get out and up but having the kayak come over my head twice was funny for those watching and as I wasn't hurt too bad I was able to laugh too. It's hard when you get old. Funny but hard.

Linda, so sorry to hear about your mishap getting out of the kayak.  Hope the bruises go away soon and it's not too painful.

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm married to a pack rat and I'm afraid to say some of it has rubbed off on me.  Fortunately though, my collections tend to be fabric, yarn, and things we can use when we travel, all useful, right?  I've always had good blood pressure except when in the doctor's office - I always find the arm cuff so tight that it's truly painful.  I describe it to my DH just like we were playing "snake" as a child where you twist the skin in opposite directions at the same time.  I always take my BP at home and take a photo of it before I have a medical appt so they can see I'm not lying or dying.  

Telecommunications and Information - wow, where would we be without them?  Does anyone remember the original teletype machines?  Big beasts with ticker tape coming out of one side and heavy round typewriter keys.  My aunt often invited me to their auto glass shop so I could learn to type on it - I'm sure that's where my administrative talents took hold.

Well we're in the smoke big time today - like @bennybear - we've got air quality warnings in the extreme range due to the smoke from wildfires in both Alberta and Saskatchewan.  Currently there are 30 wildfires in our province alone, but that's much fewer than in Alberta.  About 30,000 have been evacuated from various northern locations with more to come.  Any outdoor activities, even like groceries will include masking - thank goodness we still have them around.

@kazu thanks for the recipe for tick repellent - DH had 3 on him at the acreage, and after he came home, found another one.  I'll pick up some essential oils, and give it a try!

Not a lot going on today because of the smoke, so will concentrate on finishing a couple of blankets.  I discovered the other day that when using an acrylic/viscose blend, my eyes became very dry and itchy; even thought I'm not prone to allergies, I think I'm allergic to it.  I have a blanket that's about 2/3 complete, and think I'll try using a mask when finishing it to see if that helps.  It seems a shame to take it all apart at this stage.

I'd like to try the drink of the day; it sounds like something we would call "Adult Iced Tea".  The wine sounds delicious, but is a little on the high side of my budget.  Neither of us is a huge fan of gnocchi, so I'll take a pass on today's menu suggestion.  I cleaned out the fridge freezer yesterday and found a couple of salmon fillets that will be baked in the toaster oven on the deck and will be served along with corn on the cob and a marinated vegetable salad. In the kitchen (too smokey on the deck).  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, what a bummer the smoke headed your way.  Stay safe inside.  And hopefully all those nasty ticks were found.

5 hours ago, GTVCRUISER said:

Jamaica 

jamaicafalmouthpierpostcard.jpg

jamaicajbmargfm.jpg

Thanks for your photo collage of Falmouth!

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Falmouth is another cruise line built port.  It's owned by Royal Caribbean but they will happily accept fees by others.  It is actually though part of the town of Falmouth.  If we only get 3 reports on it they may be very different. 

Falmouth and Ocho Rios are very close, about 30 to 40 miles.apart.  @Mtn2Sea rafted on Martha Brae river.  @Nickelpenny went to Dunn's River Falls.  I did that as well but it is very close to Ocho Rios and my visit was from there on the Crystal Symphony.  I visited Falmouth in 2015 on the Grandeur of the Seas and I did a "Heritage Walking Tour" of the town of Falmouth.  Crime may have not been as great a concern in 2015 and of course we were accompanied by a couple of local guides,  I'll start with a view of the port from the ship:

falmouthport.jpg

One of the first stops was the court house.  Note the alternating yellow and white squares on the trim,

courthouse.jpg

We visited several churches on our walk.  The first was the Walter Knibb Baptist.

knibbchurch.jpg

Knibb was a leader in the emancipation movement and when slavery was abolished about the 1830's he buried a pair of shackles signifying the end of slavery.  Today a monument stands above the shackles.

shackles.jpg

The Anglican church was not just lovely but also a rest stop.

anglican1.jpg

anglican3.jpg

anglican4.jpg

We stopped at a traditional house marked by wide porticos  and thick walls to cope with Jamaica's oppressive heat.

tradhouse1.jpg

@Nickelpenny mentioned rafting on the Martha Brae river,  I walked to the mouth of the Martha Brae in town and it was not at all attractive,  It was also an excursion on my cruise and was glad to see that it was nicer further upstream.

marthabrae.jpg

There is a bit more information and more pictures on my blog post for that day:

https://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/day-15-friday-march-27-falmouth-jamaica/

Roy

Thanks for your photos and information today Roy.  Those white trim areas on the courthouse are called quoins if on the walls.  The ones above the pillars I'm not sure of.  We had quoins on our brick Georgian Colonial in Williamsburg.  The masons did a super job on that house but they had lots of experience since all brick homes were common in our area.

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn and Welcome back!

I try not to be a packrat, and am trying to get rid of “stuff”. Hypertension is a silent killer and people should pay attention to their BP. I’ll salute telecommunications and information. Interesting quote. Pass on the meal, yes to the drink and wine. I’ve never been to Falmouth. 

The weather here has been cool for May. Yesterday it rained in the AM, but BFF and I took the bus into town and did some walking around. I did pretty good I thought. I was looking for something to bring to my hair stylist, who cut my lawn on Monday. He came back yesterday and I suspect the batteries ran out as the grass was high. BFF and I both noticed sniffles last night. My ears also feel clogged. So I’m staying in today and resting. I will do another Covid test just to be sure. The post office started leaving mail on my porch (the storm door is locked, so the mail slot is inaccessible), despite the mail hold! I sent an email about it, and they picked it up yesterday. This morning I made an Ortho appointment for 2 days after I return, to get checked out. 

It’s white asparagus season here and all the rage for this month. 

@kazu I hope your garden helper is better today.

@1ANGELCAT Thinking of you and Fluff.

@smitty34877 I was glad to read that the new aide for Tana is working out well. Good news on the car AC.

@Mtn2Sea @Nickelpenny @rafinmd Thanks for the photos.

@Cruzin Terri I’m glad DH slept somewhat better. I hope you can get some rest soon.

@lindaler Sorry about the rough kayak ending, but luckily no serious damage.

@bennybear That photo of the smoke looked frightening! Stay safe. 
@ger_77 I record my home BP measurements on my phone, and take a printout to my Cardiologist when I go; much better readings at home and I brought the machine it so they could see it matches their in-office one and is accurate. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. 

Vanessa, so sorry to hear you are both feeling stuffy and you have clogged ears too.  I hope it's nothing more than a minor cold.  Yes, I can sympathize about mail carriers who don't follow instructions on holds.  Happens frequently unfortunately.  I hope you can continue to get out and enjoy the remainder of your trip!

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

We have visited Falmouth, got off the ship walked the square and got back on. 

IMG_3814.jpeg

IMG_3816.jpeg

IMG_3817.jpeg

Sounds good!  Thanks for showing us your photos.

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

I was surprised that it was only 7 pounds. I must have done good!

Considering the length of your cruise you did very well!

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I'm happy to hear Fluff is feeling better now.  It was scary when she couldn't breathe.  I hope all her remaining days are gentle ones.

Sorry this text will have to remain default because I have too much to do and it takes a long time to go back and reset it to a larger size.  You'll forgive me I'm sure.😉

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I know you are anxious to get that mass out.  I hope next week's surgery goes well and the recovery is easy.

Surgery always makes one a bit nervous, but I try to look ahead at the outcome.  This excess cortisol is really wreaking havoc on my system. 

35 minutes ago, superoma said:

jazzyv is enjoying the white asparagus in Germany right now. Aldi in the USA sells it in jars, good but nothing beats fresh in season.

I could occasionally get fresh white asparagus down in Ohio.  I haven't looked for it here.  I liked to make it with two sauces.  You served it room temperature and had a tomato based salsa and a lemon based one.  Mmmm.  

We made a choice with painting companies and signed a contract.  They will get started at the end of June.  We put down the deposit today, so we will officially be on the schedule.  I am thrilled that they will do the prep work and I don't have to do it.  We will soon have a new house!  

I never got out to weed today.  We went downtown to get our favorite coffee and stopped in the boutique next door.  That was a mistake!   We spent way too much time there!

• Like 18

7 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@kazu, I hope your garden assistant is able to help today.How is Ivan doing with the grass/flag issue?

He’s no really a gardener 😉 but it doesn't’ take a gardener to remove dandelions 😉. Nor to help me with the other stuff I can’t do.  Unfortunately, the rain stopped both our work - but he’ll be back tomorrow 🤞 

Ivan is happy in the back yard now.  The front yard is another story.  That’s ok though since he isn’t on any invisible / remote fencing.  He followed me out front and stuck to me.  He might not need to have it.  I bought a really long leash for him but ended up not using it.  He’s not going anywhere without ‘Mum’.

7 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

My good news for the day:  I was able to get the A C in my ancient Subaru repaired,for a fee less mind boggling than the initial  estimate. We have a local garage that I can walk home from and the lovely man has kept that car going for us.

YIPPEE 😃 👏. Good news indeed.

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

DH would win a prize for the World’s greatest pack rat.

Oh my, welcome to my world.  Don’t worry about getting rid of it.  He will never agree.  I smuggled a few things out and then got caught.  😂 

Leave it until he agrees.  I am doing it only because DH is gone.  I would gladly keep the “stuff” if it meant he was here.  Priorities.

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Jim slept a bit better last night, Not great, but better.  That means it was better for me.  Today he cannot nap all day since we will have activity here.

That is good news.  Hopefully he will sleep better tonight (especially sans nap) and you will too.  🤞 

6 hours ago, lindaler said:

On my Monday night kayak trip we had a wonderful time but I returned bruised and battered from my disembarking. Apparently my kayak was on a rock and as I tried to get out the whole thing tipped over on top of me and I ended up sitting in the water up to my chest. I managed to get out and up but having the kayak come over my head twice was funny for those watching and as I wasn't hurt too bad I was able to laugh too. It's hard when you get old. Funny but hard.

Yikes!  I hope you are ok and didn’t hurt yourself too badly!

I've always had good blood pressure except when in the doctor's office - I always find the arm cuff so tight that it's truly painful.  I describe it to my DH just like we were playing "snake" as a child where you twist the skin in opposite directions at the same time. 

I’m with you on this one.  My doctor calls it lab coat syndrome.  I call it squeezing.  They had a fit in Puerto Vallarta.  Tight - very tight.  I told hem if you were alone and stranded here - how would you be?  Finally they took it in another spot and it was good.

Well we're in the smoke big time today - like @bennybear - we've got air quality warnings in the extreme range due to the smoke from wildfires in both Alberta and Saskatchewan.  Currently there are 30 wildfires in our province alone, but that's much fewer than in Alberta.  About 30,000 have been evacuated from various northern locations with more to come.  Any outdoor activities, even like groceries will include masking - thank goodness we still have them around.

I saw that and so sorry.  I hope the smoke clears fast 🙏🏻. It’s all so sad 😢 

@kazu thanks for the recipe for tick repellent - DH had 3 on him at the acreage, and after he came home, found another one.  I'll pick up some essential oils, and give it a try!

I got it from what I consider a very reliable source, so I hope it works for you 🤞 

6 hours ago, JazzyV said:

My ears also feel clogged. So I’m staying in today and resting. I will do another Covid test just to be sure. The post office started leaving mail on my porch (the storm door is locked, so the mail slot is inaccessible), despite the mail hold! I sent an email about it, and they picked it up yesterday.

Hope all is ok - you don’t need this on top of everything else 😬 

6 hours ago, JazzyV said:

It’s white asparagus season here and all the rage for this month. 

Oh lucky you - white asparagus there is to die for.  Have an entire lunch of it and enjoy 🙂 

5 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Off to the dog shows shortly.

Safe travels Susan.  Hope you enjoy the show!

4 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good to hear.  I hope the vet gives her a good report 🙏🏻. It sounds like she is content.

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

I’m sorry to share the smoke with Anne and Gerry.  It did rain over night but it is still very bad.  Hoping for improvement tomorrow.

So sorry for all the smoke everyone is enduring.  I hope it dissipates soon and the fires can be brought under control.  Wish I could send you the cold rain we got today.

8 hours ago, 0106 said:

Quick post because I am dog sitting for my sister.  Hunter is a great dog but his schedule impacts mine.IMG_0666.thumb.jpeg.1e0455a6282535738f927769ea6daaf0.jpeg

Dogs take time what what a sweet dog Hunter is 🙂 👍 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

For those interested here are the CBC maps of the current fires, and how far the smoke has drifted.  Although we are many hundreds of miles from most of the fires we are still severely affected.   For size comparison,  Alberta is a big province, five times  bigger than England. 

IMG_3181.png

IMG_3180.png

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 14