The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday July 27th, 2023

richwmn

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. Such a beautiful morning. I had my coffee and watched all the birds sharing the feeders.

@grapau27 Your lunches and dinners always look fabulous. My favorite is fish and chips. I ordered them many times in London. Thanks for sharing. 

We enjoy St. Thomas and have been there last year and will be there this holiday season as well.

My dad made us stilts when we were kids. I really enjoyed them. Remember the people greeting us in Carribean on those tall stilts as we get off the ship? Yikes!

I love listening to bagpipers, and like @1ANGELCAT have been twice to the Tattoo in Edinburgh and weepy through the loan piper on the parapet.

image.png.a5127dc524ff426965fbdd5494de8a07.png

image.png.7c488a64484ec952c2050293464c08d5.png

I carry my plants inside and out depending on weather.

image.png.449e0f48931264839274966bbe85a695.png

I was so happy to see my sweet sister on the Daily last night! @DeeniEncinitasDenise I hope you and David are enjoying your Maui home. Any painting projects? How's Paisley? We have a new fur baby! Oliver. 

And many prayers are being lifted today for all on our care list. 

Take care. Have a great day. Be kind.

Thank you Joy.

Good wishes to you both.

Graham.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks Lenda for your help with the links and photos.  If we get on the internet after breakfast and have the time, I will be able to post photos from former posts sometimes.  Just check to see if I've already posted when you read the Daily each morning.  We'll be up to 4 hours ahead of you some of the trip but will have to wait for Rich to get up and post each day.  Lol!  No rush Rich @richwmn!!  Sleep in!

We're doing well today since we did so much yesterday.  Time to get the passports, cash and jewelry out of the safe.  If I didn't have cruises I wouldn't have much opportunity to wear the nice jewelry pieces we've collected over the years.  DH just came back from the safe with two bank envelopes containing some Icelandic and Danish money.  We can use those in Iceland and Greenland.  No Canadian money in our safe, however.  I just use a credit card as necessary.

I'm stopping using the Imiquimod cream my dermatologist prescribed for my nose until after the cruise.  My nose has reacted to it by turning the skin red and tiny scabs.  I'd rather not have to look like that, much less trying to remember to use it 3 days a week, while cruising.  I'll go back to it after this trip.

Best wishes Sandi @StLouisCruisers to you both for an absolutely fantastic cruise.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I'm not taking any houseplants for a walk, and certainly not on stilts. Once in a discussion about instrumental music in the synagogue (some are opposed to it), I told our rabbi that I would be OK with any instruments except bagpipes and saxophone. His son has since started to play the saxophone, and we have members who can play the pipes.

Lemon chicken might be possible for tomorrow, if I get a lemon. OK on the drink and the wine, but as Zinfandel isn't grown here, I might suggest Lakewood 2021 Cabernet Franc. Pictures of the synagogue in Charlotte Amalie below. The second language on the poster is Danish.

I'm due to give blood this afternoon, and I wish I felt better--I didn't sleep much last night. I'm also back on my exercise program, and today would have been a day for indoor rowing (it's raining intermittently) if I had been able to do it this morning.

hcst2.thumb.jpg.8a6ad9ab7661917d5ad09f73090a64a6.jpghcst3.thumb.jpg.75faedae5548d624acbd27dc918ad90a.jpgHcst1.thumb.jpg.2ebe8ae471042769a38c442e15aacf06.jpghcst5.thumb.jpg.38ff8176e4b716d6edb7b8d3a179e4e7.jpg

• Like 28

Good Afternoon from a very rainy and stormy day at the beach

It is very unusual for us to have rain early in the day. Well this came around 10 am and still going. 

DH had a cataract removed yesterday . Did very well. Today he had the follow up. The rain was so heavy on 95 that I could not see. Luckily there was a car ahead of me with its flashers on. I am very happy to be home again. 

Big launch was scrubbed last nite and rescheduled for tonite. We will see.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi,   Safe travels to Boston and have a wonderful cruise. A very Happy Birthday to your DH.

@cat shepard  Ann, safe travels to Boston. Hope the Memorial Service brings peace to all of the family. 

Stay safe and enjoy today.

Charlene

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks Lenda for your help with the links and photos.  If we get on the internet after breakfast and have the time, I will be able to post photos from former posts sometimes.  Just check to see if I've already posted when you read the Daily each morning.  We'll be up to 4 hours ahead of you some of the trip but will have to wait for Rich to get up and post each day.  Lol!  No rush Rich @richwmn!!  Sleep in!

Sandi, I'll look for your posts, but don't feel like you "have to" post the pictures.  Knowing ship internet or lack thereof, you could use your internet to let us know how the cruise is going.  

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone from the Zaandam.

We are enjoying a quiet morning today.  We had breakfast in the dining room and then did laps on the outside deck.  We have lunch in the Pinnacle and then a quiet afternoon.  Probably more laps.

There were some great waves out there this morning that Sue and I thought would be fun to ride in an inner tube.  We made the suggestion to a staff member for a revenue activity on a sea day:  Ride the Wake.  

IMG_2503.thumb.jpeg.fef7a4e0d436b8c7adfce3b9b40b1bac.jpeg

Can’t you see a couple of big inner tubes out there bobbing along?

IMG_2505.thumb.jpeg.2150f34e2f0de786c14227c22e7fc2cb.jpeg

Debbie, what about one of those big, multi-person banana floats?  😁

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I'm not taking any houseplants for a walk, and certainly not on stilts. Once in a discussion about instrumental music in the synagogue (some are opposed to it), I told our rabbi that I would be OK with any instruments except bagpipes and saxophone. His son has since started to play the saxophone, and we have members who can play the pipes.

Lemon chicken might be possible for tomorrow, if I get a lemon. OK on the drink and the wine, but as Zinfandel isn't grown here, I might suggest Lakewood 2021 Cabernet Franc. Pictures of the synagogue in Charlotte Amalie below. The second language on the poster is Danish.

I'm due to give blood this afternoon, and I wish I felt better--I didn't sleep much last night. I'm also back on my exercise program, and today would have been a day for indoor rowing (it's raining intermittently) if I had been able to do it this morning.

hcst2.thumb.jpg.8a6ad9ab7661917d5ad09f73090a64a6.jpghcst3.thumb.jpg.75faedae5548d624acbd27dc918ad90a.jpgHcst1.thumb.jpg.2ebe8ae471042769a38c442e15aacf06.jpghcst5.thumb.jpg.38ff8176e4b716d6edb7b8d3a179e4e7.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, Paul.

Lenda

• Like 19

Good (barely here on the West Coast) morning all!

I'm very late today, slept late but also because we booked a new cruise this morning!  DH found it accidentally, it's an itinerary HAL hasn't done in 100 years -- 42 days round trip FLL to the Med (and back to Egypt and Israel for us!)  Could not resist when we saw the itinerary and no long flights.  

Yesterday I had a wonderful time with my BFF, as always.  It was perfect weather for our walk after lunch.  We were marveling over how much cooler it was than it usually is during her birthday week.

I'll pass on the drink, but would probably like the Zinfandel.  I printed off the first recipe and we'll have that tonight.  Thank you Tina @0106

Annie @marshhawk I was sorry to hear about @catmando's cancer recurrence.  

Carol @mamaofami Wonderful that Sam is home and surgery wasn't needed.  Continued healing!

Laura @dobiemom Let us know how the BLT Pasta Salad turns out -- looks yummy!  I printed off the recipe and may use it for a family reunion next month.

Jake @Crazy For Cats That's odd that your art piece was confiscated.  What did they find objectionable? 

Vanessa @JazzyV How wonderful that your DD's GF loved the painting -- as we all knew she would!

@Cruzin Terri Safe travels home today.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Great photo of Ren!

I'll just leave you with this.  From our one time in St. Thomas....and no, my mouth wasn't touching the bottle. 😉  

St.Thomas.thumb.jpg.802e6f404e9b8390186a9f30b3ad38b2.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

My houseplants (all cacti) get walked out to the back steps for summer. The night blooming one has a flower that should open soon for it's one night life. Bagpipes are ok in parades and at funerals. I can barely navigate flat terrain, so a big no to stilts. I like the quote. Yes to the meal, no to the drink, and yes to the wine. An important day in history for communications. I visited St. Thomas on my first ever cruise, on Golden Princess, which was to celebrate my 50th birthday.

It's cloudy here, but going to be in the 90's later. I had alerts on my phone this AM of lightning during the night, but I slept through anything that occurred. It doesn't look like it rained overynight. Yesterday was nice. BFF and I picked up his late DF's girlfriend and went to view the corrected plaque. Then we went to a late lunch at a restaurant the GF and DD DF went to all the time. One waitress came over and hugged her as she had waited on them often. Once we took her home, BFF gave her the painting, which she was awed by.

@StLouisCruisers I hope Ren has a great experience in Dallas. Thanks for the St. Thomas photos.

@mamaofami I'm glad Sam is home, and hope the next CT is stable or improved.

@aliaschief Bruce, I hope the biopsy report on the spot will be favorable.

@RedneckBob Beautiful beach.

@Crazy For Cats Sorry about the confiscation of your purchase.

@marshhawk I was sad to hear the results of Chuck's doctor's visit. I agree with maybe going to a major cancer center to get a consultation. Nice of you to plan something for Saturday and I hope it cheers DH a bit.

@smitty34877 All the best for DH today. When I was discussing treatments for my uveitis with the Rheumatologist, infusions were talked about. I have terrible veins, and she felt if I went that route I'd need a port. So far, I'm trying other things. That memory made with your DM is very sweet. 

@Nickelpenny Good luck with the study.

@GTVCRUISER Nice pictures.

@Cruzin Terri Safe travels home. 

@ger_77 Welcome back! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Wow, beautiful sunset photo.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Sorry to hear about the grass wildfires nearby and loss of homes. Thanks for the photos.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

St. Thomas, VI

201.thumb.JPG.73e308ce4c48812aa853dd13a6081870.JPG

View from Paradise Point

1672967420_175-ViewfromParadisePoint.thumb.JPG.a1cc7478bb3ee3054555a88569beb5e8.JPG

Blackbeard's Castle on Government Hill

480835676_181-BlackbeardsCastleonGovernmentHill.thumb.JPG.64c2535c99af24cb1db07ef25a139eb6.JPG

Megan's Bay from Mountain Top

249421458_184-ViewfromMountainTopSt.Thomas.thumb.JPG.8530501c747100a2a16964f3f6b615a5.JPG

777709567_185-MegansBayfromMountainTopSt.Thomas.thumb.JPG.6dfa5ccbcc6b0aedd5ae2d156f492648.JPG

"World Famous" Mountain Top Banana Daiquiri

529099970_196-WorldFamousMountainTopBananaDaiquiri.thumb.JPG.9552a449dccbdcd44f2d5f685528a25e.JPG

Shopping area near the dock

198.thumb.JPG.2d26315da19b04d14180e76402dfef12.JPG

Sunset

16852235_208-SunsetinSt.Thomas.thumb.JPG.4a207464106b8505baa2bc4176906c4b.JPG

•  

It is a beautiful beach! Been there half dozen times and never seen more than 30-40 people there; compared to hundreds at Magen Bay. The beach is a State Park so it requires $5 to enter which limits number plus great restroom and shower facilities. Though no chairs and umbrellas provided there is plenty of shade. If you do a tour off ship (Celebrity), a lounge chair plus snacks and drinks (unlimited) are provided for about $50 per person including transportation!

• Like 18

Good morning!

Yes to stilts - about 60 years ago. No to houseplants - I have a black thumb. I do like the sound of bagpipes in small doses. 

Life has been somewhat busy here. DS is working on the pumphouse. He's a bit behind. He and DDIL went to Colorado to visit her sister. Coming home he ended up getting off the plane (volunteered) and had a night at the Denver Hilton before coming home Monday morning to Seattle. All part of his adventure. 

Monday I got a much needed haircut. My hairdresser took one look at me and started laughing (rightfully so as the hair was long) and then grabbed the clippers and I have a nice short summer haircut just the way I like it. 

Yesterday a friend and I went to BC to visit my mom who will be 97 in August. She's a going concern. She had a list and we went to the bank, the local mall to get her lottery tickets, hair products, scones at Cobh Bakery and her weekly magazine at London Drugs. Then it was White Spot for all of us to have the toasted shrimp sandwich on muntigrain bread. It's soooo good and White Spot as the best Cole slaw with sunflower seeds in it. Next was a drive through the old neighborhood, a stop to see our old house my dad built in 1954 (and it's still in great shape), a stop to see Mom's cousin who was gardening outside, a stop at the cemetery to see Dad's grave and clean it off, and finally a few other side roads Mom hadn't been on in a while. When I called her to let her know I was home she told me she'd sat down in her chair and slept an hour so we tired her out! 

Today is a stay-at-home day for me and I have a list of small things to get done here. Meals are easy. I have half my lunch from yesterday and I have a cinnamon scone from the bakery so I'm set. 

Here's a picture of my mom and me. 

Karenthumbnail(40).thumb.jpeg.395931c9d9f3aad0ca3362f17cf3a03c.jpeg

• Like 34

21 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning!

Yes to stilts - about 60 years ago. No to houseplants - I have a black thumb. I do like the sound of bagpipes in small doses. 

Life has been somewhat busy here. DS is working on the pumphouse. He's a bit behind. He and DDIL went to Colorado to visit her sister. Coming home he ended up getting off the plane (volunteered) and had a night at the Denver Hilton before coming home Monday morning to Seattle. All part of his adventure. 

Monday I got a much needed haircut. My hairdresser took one look at me and started laughing (rightfully so as the hair was long) and then grabbed the clippers and I have a nice short summer haircut just the way I like it. 

Yesterday a friend and I went to BC to visit my mom who will be 97 in August. She's a going concern. She had a list and we went to the bank, the local mall to get her lottery tickets, hair products, scones at Cobh Bakery and her weekly magazine at London Drugs. Then it was White Spot for all of us to have the toasted shrimp sandwich on muntigrain bread. It's soooo good and White Spot as the best Cole slaw with sunflower seeds in it. Next was a drive through the old neighborhood, a stop to see our old house my dad built in 1954 (and it's still in great shape), a stop to see Mom's cousin who was gardening outside, a stop at the cemetery to see Dad's grave and clean it off, and finally a few other side roads Mom hadn't been on in a while. When I called her to let her know I was home she told me she'd sat down in her chair and slept an hour so we tired her out! 

Today is a stay-at-home day for me and I have a list of small things to get done here. Meals are easy. I have half my lunch from yesterday and I have a cinnamon scone from the bakery so I'm set. 

Nice photo.

• Like 9

Karen @luvteaching what a nice photo of you and Mom!  I know you must treasure having her here with you at 97 years old.  Priceless!

Graham @grapau27 looks great!  We're enjoying vicariously with you and Pauline.  I too like the fish and chips when over there in England.  Only 1 stop in England next year unfortunately.  Falmouth, May 22.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Sam is home and recuperating from his fall. Hopefully the brain bleed will heel itself.A CAT scan next week will show the condition. Thank you all for your prayers.

Stay safe,

Carol

So glad he’s home. Continued prayers. 🙏

8 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Try as I may I just can’t like bagpipes, they always sound so mournful to me.  

Yes, they are perfect when played at funerals. 

8 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I'm currently annoyed with ships security.  I bought two pieces of art from a local Sydney artist in the pier shops.  They confiscated one item because it's on the shape of an oar. It fits in our luggage. They promise to return it on Saturday but won't guarantee its safety from damage.  I'm sure I'll get over this but not until the cruise ends.

What they think you’re going to do with the oar, use it to row the ship to a new destination? Seriously, they probably think it could be used as a weapon. 🤷🏻‍♀️

4 hours ago, dfish said:

There were some great waves out there this morning that Sue and I thought would be fun to ride in an inner tube.  We made the suggestion to a staff member for a revenue activity on a sea day:  Ride the Wake.  

Can’t you see a couple of big inner tubes out there bobbing along?

Sign me up! 😃

• Like 15

9 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Sam is home and recuperating from his fall. Hopefully the brain bleed will heel itself.A CAT scan next week will show the condition. Thank you all for your prayers.

Stay safe,

Carol

Glad to hear Sam is home, Carol.  My prayers for him and you 🙏

9 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Is there anyone willing to take over the Wine du Jour postings for 4 days: this Friday - Monday? 

If no one has offered Anne, I will do it.

I can’t keep up with a lot of stuff with things, but I can do that and would be happy to help if you need it.  Just email the info and your cheat websites and I am happy to help if you don’t have it.

7 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good Morning to All!!  I take my houseplants on walks all the time - right to the trash bin as I kill them!!  I have had one for almost 6 years now and it is the only one that survives my either over attention or neglect.  Bagpipes are interesting and I would break a leg if I tried stilts.  I try to live the quote though didn't for a very, very long time.  The food and drinks sound yummy though I like Crown Royal Manhattans better but very light on the Vermouth.  I have never been to St Thomas.  Across the pond became so much easier with the laying of the cable.

I decided to join a study to quit a habit I have had for a long time.  I have resisted for years though my doctor brings it up at every appointment.  It is done virtually and the UofA Nursing School is conducting it.  My first appointment was yesterday and it will run for 6 weeks.  I promised myself I will truly try.  We will see.

If it’s the habit that I think is the reason I met you I would love to hear about it if you don’t mind to share with me down the road if it works.  

Best wishes for success

• Like 17

Good afternoon from a hot 99F (feels like 102F), windy and dry central Texas.  It looks like out high will not go triple digits.  

I just check on the progress of the wildfire north of here.  As of the update at 11:30 am, it had grown to 300 acres and was 30% contained.  So far there are no more houses destroyed, but they had to reclose the highway.  Looking at the map of the fire put out by the Texas A&M Forest Service, part of the area is right next to the highway.  Like a lot of areas, rain would greatly help with the wildfires in Texas.  So far, we have not see or smelled smoke, but our wind is from the ESE.  Fortunately, no injuries have been reported.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good (barely here on the West Coast) morning all!

I'm very late today, slept late but also because we booked a new cruise this morning!  DH found it accidentally, it's an itinerary HAL hasn't done in 100 years -- 42 days round trip FLL to the Med (and back to Egypt and Israel for us!)  Could not resist when we saw the itinerary and no long flights.  

Yesterday I had a wonderful time with my BFF, as always.  It was perfect weather for our walk after lunch.  We were marveling over how much cooler it was than it usually is during her birthday week.

I'll pass on the drink, but would probably like the Zinfandel.  I printed off the first recipe and we'll have that tonight.  Thank you Tina @0106

Annie @marshhawk I was sorry to hear about @catmando's cancer recurrence.  

Carol @mamaofami Wonderful that Sam is home and surgery wasn't needed.  Continued healing!

Laura @dobiemom Let us know how the BLT Pasta Salad turns out -- looks yummy!  I printed off the recipe and may use it for a family reunion next month.

Jake @Crazy For Cats That's odd that your art piece was confiscated.  What did they find objectionable? 

Vanessa @JazzyV How wonderful that your DD's GF loved the painting -- as we all knew she would!

@Cruzin Terri Safe travels home today.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Great photo of Ren!

I'll just leave you with this.  From our one time in St. Thomas....and no, my mouth wasn't touching the bottle. 😉  

St.Thomas.thumb.jpg.802e6f404e9b8390186a9f30b3ad38b2.jpg

Carolyn, congratulations on booking the cruise.  I saw it, and there are several ports we have not been too, which makes it appealing.  Our problem is the timing since it gets back so close to Christmas.  Also, right now, we have to get all the medical stuff taken care of before considering a cruise.  Loved the picture with the pirate.

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning!

Karen, that's a great picture of you and your Mom.  I know she had a great time seeing all the places that were important in her life.  BTW, your hair is about as short as mine, but mine is for year round since it's so easy to fix.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Rain!!! I smell rain and heard some thunder a few minutes ago. We have light sprinkles right now, but anything is welcome as long as we don't have a lightning fire.

Susan

Susan, Yeah! on the rain.  I hope you get quite a bit, but not lightning to start more fires.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, kazu said:

If no one has offered Anne, I will do it.

I can’t keep up with a lot of stuff with things, but I can do that and would be happy to help if you need it.  Just email the info and your cheat websites and I am happy to help if you don’t have it.

Thank you Jacqui. I actually had time to go hunting today. So my posts are prepared. 

I may not post the info very early, and that may be the only thing I post - but it will show up eventually. 

Ann

• Like 17

47 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, congratulations on booking the cruise.  I saw it, and there are several ports we have not been too, which makes it appealing.  Our problem is the timing since it gets back so close to Christmas.  Also, right now, we have to get all the medical stuff taken care of before considering a cruise.  Loved the picture with the pirate.

Lenda that would be great if you did decide to book this one too.  But I understand about the medical stuff.  Yes, getting home so close to Christmas is a concern, but may just force me to do things early for once. 😉  

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you Jacqui. I actually had time to go hunting today. So my posts are prepared. 

I may not post the info very early, and that may be the only thing I post - but it will show up eventually. 

Ann

Ok, no worries.

I’m so sorry ,my offer was too late to give you a break 😔 

I’m just in very slow motion these days and weighted down.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2