Friday December 15th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Good morning. It will be fifty later today and we have an abundance of sunshine.I like both hot and iced tea  and will look at the red snapper recipe. I wish the fish and chips around here could look like the one Graham had. @grapau27. Life is all about herding cats, even now in retirement. There seems  to be a lot of details to keep track of. I have not been to the port.

@StLouisCruisers, I am sorry to be so late to offer condolences  upon the passing of your cousin.

@kazu, Jacqui, I am sending prayers for your DBIL’s DM.

and Bon Voyage to  @Suslor, @Crazy For Cats

And @Ichiban Nekko

We are hoping that the endless pipeline replacement work will be finished on our street. I saw the UPS delivery person go up and down the access road on foot to deliver packages as no one could get down the street. I am grateful that no one here had to get anywhere special. They are working in the dark until 6:30 or so most days this week.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s a very windy morning in Fort Lauderdale and I’m expecting a bumpy ride tonight which will translate into a good nights sleep.  It should stay dry at least until we board the Rotterdam.  Our shuttle is picking us up at 9:45.  Herding cats can be challenging but shaking the Temptations brings them running. 
Last night we went across the street to Pollo  Tropical and the guy taking the order gave me a senior discount.  Didn’t ask age just gave it.  I was happy to save a few dollars but …..  We passed on the free breakfast at the hotel, it didn’t seem appetizing but would have been ok if it was raining. We went to Joe’s Cafe instead and had a really good breakfast.  Tonight we will have dinner at Tamarind.

Thank you all for the Bon Voyages. 
I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 30

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  I admire all you cat herders out there.  Not into regifting, it seems kind of cheesy to me.  I’d rather donate something I didn’t want to a charity shop, someone else might buy it.  I do like a cup of tea in the mid-afternoon.  I like today’s quote although Almira Gultch in The Wizard of Oz didn’t instill much confidence.  I’ll pass on the meal and drink suggestions as we’ll be having leftover beef, cabbage and barley soup from yesterday, which was delicious and simple to make (recipe one).  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events.  Safe travels to those of you who are making your way to your cruises!

• Like 26

16 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s a very windy morning in Fort Lauderdale and I’m expecting a bumpy ride tonight which will translate into a good nights sleep.  It should stay dry at least until we board the Rotterdam.  Our shuttle is picking us up at 9:45.  Herding cats can be challenging but shaking the Temptations brings them running. 
Last night we went across the street to Pollo  Tropical and the guy taking the order gave me a senior discount.  Didn’t ask age just gave it.  I was happy to save a few dollars but …..  We passed on the free breakfast at the hotel, it didn’t seem appetizing but would have been ok if it was raining. We went to Joe’s Cafe instead and had a really good breakfast.  Tonight we will have dinner at Tamarind.

Thank you all for the Bon Voyages. 
I hope everyone has a good day today.

Bon Voyage!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Shout out to all Cat Herders from a member of the Nailing Jello To The Wall Society.  I'd rather give something away than re-gift, as I'd hate to accidentally give it to the person who gave it to me in the first place.  I'm drinking my favourite tea right now - Bigelow's I Love Lemon - that I was introduced to many cruises ago aboard a BHB.

It's cool and dark out there this morning, but I see we've got clear skies and can see an abundance of stars.   I'm sorry for all the folks in Florida who are experiencing a storm this weekend - that will make for some rocking and rolling on the ships.  For those traveling this weekend, please be safe.   The weather guy on TV last night said that people in Texas have more snow right now than we do . . . how's that for weird weather?

@Crazy For Catsit sounds to me like you're staying near Harbour Shops in FLL, as I recognize the names of all the places you've stopped for meals/drinks.  Bon Voyage today to you!

Also Bon Voyage to @Suslor and @Ichiban Nekko!

Wishing @Ichiban Nekko and her DH a very Happy Anniversary.

@NiagarawineI was saddened to hear your DFIL had passed away - may his memory be a blessing to all of you.

@kazucontinued prayers for your DB's DMIL.

We had a lovely evening at the restaurant with our friends last night - we sat on the outdoor patio that had propane heaters, and every seat had a cozy shawl that you could use if you still weren't warm enough.  We never thought we'd be able to sit outside comfortably in December and enjoy a meal!  The food kept coming, the wine was flowing freely and after about 3.5 hours we decided to call it a night.  All 3 couples took taxis back home so nobody had to worry about driving, and today we'll all go and retrieve our vehicles.  Better safe than sorry.

Today I've got sugar cookies to make and will package up more nuts & bolts to give away.  Thank goodness each batch makes a lot!  I'm going to pass on the drink of the day, will let others enjoy the white wine, and would like to try today's menu suggestion on a BHB.  Of course it's Friday night, pizza night at our house, so we'll check the online menus to see what appeals for us to enjoy at the kitchen table.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Good morning dailyites and thank you for the daily report.

Going to pack today as we are leaving early tomorrow morning for Florida.

For those who watch the sailaways, the weather this weekend looks bleak. If we leave between 4 and 5 on Sunday, we should be on our balcony. We are in cabin 7084 (port side, right across from the Neptune lounge), which is close to the middle of the ship. With the NA being delayed by two days, I wouldn’t be surprised if they delayed our cruise as well. If I hear anything today, I will let everyone know.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

20231104_055501.jpg

I would consider leaving today vs tomorrow.   The weather is supposed to be awful with torrential rains and wind - today it is only very windy with drizzle.  We also have a flooding alert for tomorrow.   Just be safe whatever you decide to do.  

• Like 22

Good Morning Dailyites!

Thanks from both of us for the Bon Voyage & Happy Anniversary wishes! You all are so caring and thoughtful.

We had an a blissfully uneventful flight to FLL. Bags arrived quickly. Hotel room available on arrival. Yay!  PSA for those of you flying over the holidays: pack lots of patience. The crowds at 7am at Dulles were absolutely crazy. We cannot begin to imagine next week.

The current weather here could make for an interesting check in & sailaway on the Rotterdam. The wind gusts are wild. NBC6 just called it “brutal marine conditions.” For the those of you who live in this part of FL, please check any holiday lighting outside your home to make sure it doesn’t fly away.

Pretty soon we’ll be on our way to board the Rotterdam. Yay!

I am looking forward to being able to catch up on the Daily on the ship. The last week has been so crazy that I barely had a chance to scan the FR&D. Best wishes to all with celebrations and/or a cruise on your horizon. 

-Cat & Dave

• Like 32

13 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Shout out to all Cat Herders from a member of the Nailing Jello To The Wall Society.  I'd rather give something away than re-gift, as I'd hate to accidentally give it to the person who gave it to me in the first place.  I'm drinking my favourite tea right now - Bigelow's I Love Lemon - that I was introduced to many cruises ago aboard a BHB.

It's cool and dark out there this morning, but I see we've got clear skies and can see an abundance of stars.   I'm sorry for all the folks in Florida who are experiencing a storm this weekend - that will make for some rocking and rolling on the ships.  For those traveling this weekend, please be safe.   The weather guy on TV last night said that people in Texas have more snow right now than we do . . . how's that for weird weather?

@Crazy For Catsit sounds to me like you're staying near Harbour Shops in FLL, as I recognize the names of all the places you've stopped for meals/drinks.  Bon Voyage today to you!

Also Bon Voyage to @Suslor and @Ichiban Nekko!

Wishing @Ichiban Nekko and her DH a very Happy Anniversary.

@NiagarawineI was saddened to hear your DFIL had passed away - may his memory be a blessing to all of you.

@kazucontinued prayers for your DB's DMIL.

We had a lovely evening at the restaurant with our friends last night - we sat on the outdoor patio that had propane heaters, and every seat had a cozy shawl that you could use if you still weren't warm enough.  We never thought we'd be able to sit outside comfortably in December and enjoy a meal!  The food kept coming, the wine was flowing freely and after about 3.5 hours we decided to call it a night.  All 3 couples took taxis back home so nobody had to worry about driving, and today we'll all go and retrieve our vehicles.  Better safe than sorry.

Today I've got sugar cookies to make and will package up more nuts & bolts to give away.  Thank goodness each batch makes a lot!  I'm going to pass on the drink of the day, will let others enjoy the white wine, and would like to try today's menu suggestion on a BHB.  Of course it's Friday night, pizza night at our house, so we'll check the online menus to see what appeals for us to enjoy at the kitchen table.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

You are correct.  Sometimes we would go to Total Wine to bring something onboard.  Pre shutdown there was a BBQ place, Ernie’s, across the street and it was good with huge portions!

• Like 21

Good Friday Morning Dailyites.  Today I am going to try to do what I didn't do on Tuesday. GEt to the bank, get some cash, go to our favorite restaurant, leave off Christmas card with yearly tip.  And then I have to add on a doctor appointment. (my vein and heart doc).

I go to this restaurant and give a large tip once a year, week before Christmas for two reasons.  The first is that they are open for lunch Monday -Friday, And it was the one place that was open early after DH had daily radiation.  If he would eat soon after the treatment, and he would eat, but the longer the amount of time there was between treatment and food, the worse he felt.  They were open during the time of Covid, (when DH had the radiation therapy) their tables were spread out, it was technically outside dining with space heaters.  They kept us fed, during the most trying of times.

And they appreciate their regulars.  At Christmas, they gave us a free meal.  We appreciate them, and they appreciate us.  When we were off on our adventure this fall, after we got back the staff all asked where we had been.  It's nice to be missed.

I loved the cat herding commercial, but to tell you the truth, it wasn't on very long, and after I laughed through the whole thing I could not tell you what product they were trying to sell me.  I went out this morning to feed the outdoor cats, and saw Uggles, but didn't see Bubbles.   Then after putting all the food out, canned, dry and Temptations, I saw the Bubbles in the big box, white cat asleep on a white blanket.   We really need to get the porch fixed for them!    So if I cant see them, I cant herd them.

Today is just a check up, not sure with this doc, what that means...

And about the ham, well I threw out another option, a food that she does not get, and loves, and it changes the whole menu minus one squashy thing that she wants.  Ready?  RIBS!  No ham.

And I do a mean rib.

image.png.a0ef3c89a060ce2fa16698ed55fd62de.png

image.png.49b57cbc02d39f9c3273a9ee7b8ee311.png

image.png.975f2513abecc6fe1abb5d01544b0ca4.png

• Like 13
  • Haha 17

41 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

I would consider leaving today vs tomorrow.   The weather is supposed to be awful with torrential rains and wind - today it is only very windy with drizzle.  We also have a flooding alert for tomorrow.   Just be safe whatever you decide to do.  

If we could leave today, we would, however, my wife is working all day, and then getting her hair done after work. She will not be home until 7 or 8 pm. 

• Like 19

Thanks for all the Bon Voyage wishes. Like @Crazy For Cats we met two friends on our Everglades airboat tour who are also on the Rotterdam. We’re stay at the Embassy Suites so in the same neighborhood. Shuttle is at 10:30 for 11am check in. Can’t wait. Hope everyone has a great day. Susan

• Like 23

1 minute ago, Suslor said:

Thanks for all the Bon Voyage wishes. Like @Crazy For Cats we met two friends on our Everglades airboat tour who are also on the Rotterdam. We’re stay at the Embassy Suites so in the same neighborhood. Shuttle is at 10:30 for 11am check in. Can’t wait. Hope everyone has a great day. Susan

How was your stay at Embassy Suites?  It's been getting mixed reviews. 

• Like 15

Good morning, everyone!

It is starting out as a beautiful day here in mid-Michigan. The skies are currently a brilliant blue, but it is supposed to cloud up this afternoon.  The only thing on the agenda today is a visit with the nurse for pre-surgical assessment and instructions.  And Farkel tonight.  It has been a long time since we had Farkel, so we are ready to go!  DB Bill is bringing dinner with him.   

@Mr. Boston I'm glad you liked the soup.  I have it bookmarked to make next week.  

@kazu I'm sorry to hear about more bad news for your BIL's DM.  I hope she is comfortable.

Bon Voyage to all the Dailyites leaving on cruises.  I hope the weather in FLL does not negatively impact your cruises.

@aliaschief safe travels!

@cruising sister I'm glad you took the upsell.  You'll appreciate that balcony on such a long cruise.  Enjoy every minute of it!

@durangoscots Sorry to hear of the difficulties in getting your luggage picked up.  That should be a relatively simple thing.

Today's meal is from Bon Appetit and the kitchen was closed when I went to see the recipe.  I did find it on another site.  Contramar is a restaurant and the dish is iconic to the restaurant.  There are two dishes at Contramar that I consider iconic.  The restaurant calls it pescado a la talla Contramar. It is, in simple terms, a butterflied and grilled fish that is coated on one side with a parsley sauce and on the other with an adobo rub. The presentation is part of what makes the dish.  https://www.vice.com/en/article/43zkqm/contramars-red-and-green-grilled-snapper-recipe

redandgreengrilledsnapper1.jpg.52e62bbead3530cb996ed0d2a15034ab.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

@Crazy For Cats, it’s a little tired. We usually stay at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina hotel so we can watch the boats on the Intercostal but we have our 14 yr old grandson with us and we wanted the separate sleeping rooms. Not sure why as we’re all sharing a Neptune suite on board. I’m afraid he’ll see it as a real step down as we had a Pinnacle suite for his first cruise in June. Susan 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

@seagarsmoker  Sorry you can't leave today- I hope that the trip down tomorrow is fine for you.  It looks like the weather is going to be wild here tomorrow.  I know FLL is always worse than us and they are predicting terrible flooding there.  We are already getting weather alerts.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

To those of you with spine issues, proceed cautiously before jumping on the surgery bandwagon...5 days later I still can't urinate & I'm having horrendous muscle spasms in my right groin/ leg...hope this is all worth it....being discharged today.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from Quartzsite where it is 42F and feels like 39F.  The predicted high will be 68F, and beginning tomorrow we are supposed to be in the low 70s until a week from tomorrow.  Unfortunately, rain is predicted for the first two days DD and DSIL will be here for Christmas.  Normally, even with a fair chance of rain here, it misses the La Paz Valley or only rains for a short time.  

Cat Herders Day is an interesting one, and thank you @grapau27 Graham for the information.  I'm not into regifting, but will take things to the thrift store.  I like iced tea and hot tea, but don't have hot tea very often.

The H. G. Wells quote is interesting to say the least.

The meal looks good, but we'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We visited Fuerte Amador in 2009 on Statendam when our visit to Guatemala was canceled..

1488 was a good year for explorers, and I admire Bartolomeu Dias for sailing around the Cape of Good Hope.  Gone With the Wind is a classic book and movie than I've read and seen.

@aliaschief  Safe travels to day in what could be a challenging drive, Bruce.  Enjoy your visit with your DD and DGD'

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm sorry your DBIL's DM is not doing well.  I hope she is comfortable and that her medical team can help her.  Right now, my to do list looks like a piece of fiction, but much needs to be done before the "kids" get here next Friday.  Wow, on all those sailing on the 22nd being Dailyites.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, the next two weeks should be interesting with more families on board.

@cruising sister  Lorraine, I'm glad you took the upsell.  Balconies are nice on longer cruises.

@cat shepard  Ann, thanks for your work herding cats.

@cunnorl  Charlene, I hope all goes well at your appointment today.  Be careful in the storm headed your way.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope the work on the pipeline is finished soon and your street is back to normal.

@ger_77  Gerry, there's one big difference between snow in your area and snow in Texas.  Drivers in your area know how to drive in snow, and when to stay home.  Another difference is that most of Texas does not have snow removal equipment.

@Ichiban Nekko  I'm glad you made it safely to Ft. Lauderdale.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope the doctor appointment goes well.

@57redbird  I'm sorry you are still having so much pain and problems since your surgery.  I agree that surgery is the last resort, and DH waited as long as possible before having his back surgery.

345048644_241021218518482_723007776997087266_n.thumb.jpg.458d4e8cca1f6fdddc82edd9b42f9601.jpg

350307846_6520068454714705_8221110836201363777_n.jpg.c2cd5e5fe3170ba89e3e4c7be1d07a8b.jpg

357842685_660368352803196_4484040148673183427_n.jpg.b09ed745e66a074a34cad4e21361f8dd.jpg

358072015_659636039543094_8687737831497263642_n.jpg.cf2b4e393591504ead1687282ac560e7.jpg

365322997_10233700145272204_4198728509779015291_n.jpg.83a45ce622caf371aed6829281c0ba4d.jpg

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 23

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I decided to take an upgrade on my cabin. I have always been a little hesitant about an OV due to some claustrophobic and depressive tendencies I have without more light and open space. My DS is so supportive and told me to do it. He knows my unreasonable relationship with money from being a young single mom and always reassures me he is there for me if I need him which I won’t. It’s complicated. I would give away that amount of money in a heartbeat if someone needed it but to spend on myself no way. 

YAY!  I’m glad you decided to do it and treat yourself.  You deserve it.  

3 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Going to pack today as we are leaving early tomorrow morning for Florida.

I know you can’t leave earlier 😔. Please be very careful tomorrow with the weather.  Very safe travels wishes for you two 🤞 

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Awaiting the break of dawn and we will be on our way to St. John’s, Fl which is right below Jacksonville. Looks like a stormy and very wet weekend ahead of us and others along East Coast.

So back to packing up car. Two day trip should be simple but we are bringing some food and frozen food stuff that we don’t want to keep for our six month cruise.

Very safe travels to you with the upcoming weather.  Drive carefully please and don’t take chances.

34 minutes ago, Suslor said:

@Crazy For Cats, it’s a little tired. We usually stay at the Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina hotel so we can watch the boats on the Intercostal but we have our 14 yr old grandson with us and we wanted the separate sleeping rooms. Not sure why as we’re all sharing a Neptune suite on board. I’m afraid he’ll see it as a real step down as we had a Pinnacle suite for his first cruise in June. Susan 

I was going to ask the same question as Jake and appreciate you replying.  DD DH and I used to love staying there but it seems to have gone downhill (especially considering the price).  trying to choose wisely for my BFF and I for April.   Having a tough time. Sigh.

14 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

To those of you with spine issues, proceed cautiously before jumping on the surgery bandwagon...5 days later I still can't urinate & I'm having horrendous muscle spasms in my right groin/ leg...hope this is all worth it....being discharged today.

Oh dear 😔 So sorry to hear what you are enduring.  I hope it improves quickly and the surgery will be worth it 🙏 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3