Friday December 15th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

This is what I posted in 2021.

We have been to Fuerte Amador once as a replacement port on a Panama Canal cruise.  That day we took the train across Panama and a bus back, stopping at the visitors center at the Miraflores Locks.  When we got back, we got a taxi to take us for a tour of Panama City.  All those pictures were posted the first time the Panama Canal was the port of the day.

These are the pictures of Fuerte Amador where the tender took us.

IMG_5225.thumb.JPG.2656d520bbf59e0cafb4db74fd83d5be.JPG

IMG_5220.thumb.JPG.cc3fbca062355b5bb3f849b6b69d0400.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

This is what I posted in March 2022.  These are pictures of our train ride and visit to Panama City.

The train and inside the dome car

IMG_5175.thumb.JPG.c1e977a51f86907ae7430f256602826b.JPG

IMG_5160.thumb.JPG.60917cb100815b96a0c3540df663779c.JPG

A few scenes from Colon as the bus gave us a "panoramic" tour of the town.  It is one place I was happy to see ftom a bus.

IMG_5171.thumb.JPG.83d9afdd413079d2d5b4623eba9ef536.JPG

IMG_5172.thumb.JPG.327ddfcbb261357457a6aebf4d9898ff.JPG

IMG_5173.thumb.JPG.175a36303dff0e6d7cfbf0c3699933c0.JPG

Miraflores locks from the Visitor Center.  There were no ships in the locks while we were there.

IMG_5186.thumb.JPG.c82e8414d9be59270cdbdfd7fe4e9c6b.JPG

IMG_5188.thumb.JPG.2fc71fa913ebbdc69eea151f71670449.JPG

Panama City as we drove through the city.  One time was pretty much enough for me.

IMG_5194.thumb.JPG.4cd9dbb83952924af9794696106ad002.JPG

IMG_5196.thumb.JPG.44c90efb26a0b4ffba509cc5cfb23e16.JPG

IMG_5197.thumb.JPG.da2c4248177ab80728d4b0c66e057258.JPG

IMG_5217.thumb.JPG.c0fd785fa50da97ba096c26700f0bdc5.JPG

IMG_5207.thumb.JPG.dcc071119041b8776765f3fc6c28d937.JPG

One of our stops was Noriega's former home.  It was not in the best condition, and we could only look through the gate.

IMG_5216.thumb.JPG.c28444c35986fc74b123ee7f7cbbcfcf.JPG

IMG_5213.thumb.JPG.81a4a0bef2017ee6b9f2096b22762ff1.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

49 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

To those of you with spine issues, proceed cautiously before jumping on the surgery bandwagon...5 days later I still can't urinate & I'm having horrendous muscle spasms in my right groin/ leg...hope this is all worth it....being discharged today.

Oh, my!  They are sending you home like that?  I hope they have a plan to help you get through this.  I was told there was no surgery for my back.  The problem is too widespread and they'd never be able to address it all.  So, I do what I can to keep moving and stay on my feet.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Will go back and read the entire Daily later but I wanted to let you all know that my Luggage was picked up last night..... at 10:15pm. I was getting ready for bed and not in condition to see what was happening but I thought I heard a very faint doorbell ring....then slamming and banging in the hall.... then my doorbell rang followed by the slamming of the outside door. Dogs ran to my door but did not bark. By that time I got to where I could see the hallway and the luggage was gone. I think the UPS driver rang my downstairs neighbor's bell and she let him in.... he grabbed the luggage and fled. Anyway, LF says it has been picked up and is on its way. Geeesh!!! If they are going to do late night pickups they should let you know. I certainly was not going to leave the bags out on the porch overnight.

More later. Cold and sunny today. Weather looks good for the next few days. 

Susan

• Like 26

31 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Will go back and read the entire Daily later but I wanted to let you all know that my Luggage was picked up last night..... at 10:15pm. I was getting ready for bed and not in condition to see what was happening but I thought I heard a very faint doorbell ring....then slamming and banging in the hall.... then my doorbell rang followed by the slamming of the outside door. Dogs ran to my door but did not bark. By that time I got to where I could see the hallway and the luggage was gone. I think the UPS driver rang my downstairs neighbor's bell and she let him in.... he grabbed the luggage and fled. Anyway, LF says it has been picked up and is on its way. Geeesh!!! If they are going to do late night pickups they should let you know. I certainly was not going to leave the bags out on the porch overnight.

Susan

YIPPEE!  Just glad your luggage is on the way 🙂 

• Like 15

Good morning all!

I'm happy to see 3 days of sunshine and even a high of 56 F today!  

I'm all for cat herders, have never re-gifted and never will, and I like iced tea but not a fan of hot tea.

I'll also pass on the meal (spice) and drink but the wine sounds good. 🙂  I like the quote and love GWTW -- have read the book a few times and we own the movie. 

This will be a very busy weekend.  Today we'll pick up the DGSs after school, get them to a Taekwondo Christmas party, and then bring them home with us for the weekend.  We have a lot planned, some Christmas crafts, and a Christmas Lights viewing tomorrow night.  We went to the same one last year and it's the best in our area.  Then on Sunday the family will have our early Christmas gathering.  They're doing it early for us, so we can self-isolate before the cruise.  Trying our best to stay healthy before we leave!  

Prayers for all on the Care List and cheers for all celebrating.

• Like 26

I often herd my cats unintentionally. When we (I and two other cats) lived on the Connecticut shore, our village had a colony of feral cats and a TNR group that looked after them.

I might like the meal but wouldn't make it. No on the cocktail. We grow Chardonnay and a large amount of Riesling in the Finger Lakes, but blends of those two grapes aren't common. Dr. Frank's produced one, currently sold out, under the Salmon Run label.  Anthony Road also makes one. I think I will be at Fuerte Amador this time next year.

My more immediate concern, however, is the January cruise. I believe that I have all the shore excursions arranged, but I need to check their descriptions to see whether I would want hiking shoes or a stick for any of them. As I'm driving to the port, I can take whatever I want, but I don't want to deal with more luggage than necessary.

RCI offered me a chance to bid on an upgrade, but I didn't think it was worthwhile to pay anything to upgrade from an obstructed balcony to an unobstructed, when a picture of the actual cabin showed the obstruction to be minimal.

sisterchristmastree.thumb.jpg.d94c984e4cecd53f70e6a46ce9daae83.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 7

3 good days today; although, anyone w/cats knows how challenging herding them can be Regifting is a good thing, financially and environmentally speaking, when done from a good place w/no ill intent.

Good quote; pass on the meal, would try the drink & wine; not been to the port; good days in history. 

Currently rainy 54° headed to 57° and 68° for my Thursday departure. I really need to check weather for the cruise so I can pack; have said it repeatedly, but manage to never do it.🤔

20231215_113326.thumb.jpg.99d35c2e99eb87dfd919176e04ef5c0a.jpg

In honor of Mr Dias & the day in history, since I've not been to today's port, I offer a picture I took of the Cape of Good Hope during a helicopter tour Dec 2016 20161217_131743.thumb.jpg.65f45249b1170c11ed617c11d62f0bf4.jpg plus a local who I am certain was preparing to rip my face off. 20231215_113647.thumb.jpg.714e80ef7ac09549754ff63ed6f765c3.jpgLuckily, the big boy was distracted at the last moment and took a detour - holy I need to change my undies now!! 🫣  Sorry for the weird picture - I had to screenshot my Screensaver to get it.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 22

Well it has been an interesting 24 hours.  I had a crown come off last night, with the part of the tooth that holds it in place.  Called my dentist and she said they could see me the end of January.  Ahh, no!! Called another one who was supposed to be in our dental coverage and get there and find out they are not!!!  So, on Wednesday, December 20 I am having the tooth pulled!!  I won't have to worry about the crown anymore and can go on our cruise the end of January.  Sigh, getting old is a B.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good Afternoon,  we had lunch in the MDR.  It was very busy.  Did our muster station duties, although it seemed a bit challenging to figure when and what to do.

I quickly booked PG for lunch on our two sea days.  Additionally booked PG gor tomorrow night gor our bacon fiction.

DH isn't excited about our balcony location.  I do think this is where we will be for sail away.

20231215_114741.thumb.jpg.a5063673f7f25f8ccfdcee046504309d.jpg

Seeing this on our deck made me happy. My first cruise was on this ship.

20231215_111336.thumb.jpg.b963c8993f5fb3afd383624122260a0d.jpg

• Like 31

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

No cats or people to herd here. I try to donate some gifts, but others must be kept as the giver (usually BFF) will wonder where it is. I am much more a coffee person, but will occasionally have tea. Funny quote. Pass on the meal (fish), drink and wine. I haven't been to Fuerte Amador. 2 good days. I loved the film GWTW.

It's lovely here today. 51F and sunny. After a sleepless night, I was up early to go to PT. I did a little less there, as I had an appointment with a urogynecologist, whom I've waited a while to see. I signed in and was waiting on going in, when they called me to the desk saying I'd need to reschedule as the doctor had just tested positive for Covid! I wonder if she'd seen any patients earlier. While disappointed, I was glad not to be exposed to her. I'm rescheduled but not until March. It can wait, and the symptoms may even be related to my spinal issues. I guess it's time to start wearing a mask in certain places again. I'm sleepy, so I may try to get in a short nap later. I hope all in TX, FL and the Eastern Seaboard stay safe with the bad weather coming.

@Suslor @Crazy For Cats @Ichiban Nekko Bon Voyage!

@Ichiban Nekko Happy Anniversary!

@seagarsmoker Safe travels tomorrow to FL.

@aliaschief Safe travels to and from DD's.

@kazu I'm sorry to hear that things aren't going well for DBIL's DM.

@grapau27 That's a good looking dinner you had.

@cruising sister I think you'll enjoy the cabin upgrade; you deserve it! 

@Nickelpenny Someone posted on another site that Brazil wanted bank information for the visa, which they didn't want to provide for security reasons.

@smitty34877 I do hope your street is free of those workers soon; working that late implies that they want to get finished soon.

@marshhawk I hope the checkup went well.

@57redbird Sorry to hear of the post-op issues and I hope they resolve quickly. I didn't think they sent you home if you couldn't void on your own.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the photos.

@durangoscots What a mess, but I'm glad your luggage got picked up.

@summer slope Oh no on the tooth issue! I would have thought your dentist would have an emergency slot or just see you regardless, since you're a longstanding patient.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 6

@57redbird I am so sorry your surgery has not given you the relief you needed.   I hope you have the help you need at home.

Good afternoon.  A long day so far with 6 stops before returning home at 1:30.    I got my hair done, visited briefly with two of my siblings while dropping of Christmas cookies, pharmacy, dry cleaner and then to another town to get my second blood draw of the week.   Thanks for the Daily Rich.   My DS is a cat herder.   Her daughter brought home one, then brought home two, then another two and now she no longer lives there but the cats remain.  Then there are the outside cats as their area is popular for dumpers.    I can't recall the last time I regifted something.   I have been to today's port in early January.   I will pass on the fish and the cocktail but the sparkling wine from Mawby would be good.  We visited there on a Traverse City trip with our local wine society,   I did taste their "Sex" sparking wine but it was a bit sweet for me.  

Prayers for everyone on our care list and those in war zones.  Prayers for the return of the hostages.  

I have to plate up more cookies and deliver them to the neighbors, then we are going to dinner at a nearby tavern,  good food but a dump.   Happy Friday!  Nancy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Susan

Yay!!!! 😊

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@Nickelpenny Someone posted on another site that Brazil wanted bank information for the visa, which they didn't want to provide for security reasons.

That is true. They want to see that you have $2000 available for travel. (Credit card/bank statement).  There was no way I would give them my bank stuff so I gave them a credit card statement and only left the last 4 digits of the acct number. Then I locked the card.  There were no transactions and just my demographic info on it but I had to put that in anyway for the visa. I don’t think the visa is really set up for cruise passengers. IMHO they want to see you have the $ to take care of yourself if something goes wrong. We are on a cruise ship - we aren’t “staying “ there!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I decided to take an upgrade on my cabin.

I'm so glad you did it!  You do deserve it and will be very glad you have the balcony on the long cruise.

Wondering if you're anywhere near us, we're on deck 7.  If you haven't already, don't forget to email Tallulah so she can make the change on the spreadsheet. 🙂  

I've got the Kit Kat Slice in the fridge @erewhon -- it looks so good!  

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon,  we had lunch in the MDR.  It was very busy.  Did our muster station duties, although it seemed a bit challenging to figure when and what to do.

I quickly booked PG for lunch on our two sea days.  Additionally booked PG gor tomorrow night gor our bacon fiction.

DH isn't excited about our balcony location.  I do think this is where we will be for sail away.

20231215_114741.thumb.jpg.a5063673f7f25f8ccfdcee046504309d.jpg

Seeing this on our deck made me happy. My first cruise was on this ship.

20231215_111336.thumb.jpg.b963c8993f5fb3afd383624122260a0d.jpg

Love the forward balconies. I like looking at what they do on the bridge. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm so glad you did it!  You do deserve it and will be very glad you have the balcony on the long cruise.

Wondering if you're anywhere near us, we're on deck 7.  If you haven't already, don't forget to email Tallulah so she can make the change on the spreadsheet. 🙂  

I've got the Kit Kat Slice in the fridge @erewhon -- it looks so good!  

I am on 6 aft. I hear rumor there is a secret deck there. 
what is a Kit Kat slice?  I must have missed that one. 

• Like 11