The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday April 6th, 2024

kazu

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 Amsterdam world cruise segment, Cape Town to Fort Lauderdale,  getting me back home from a Crystal Serenity world cruise segment.   April 6 was a sea day from Walvis Bay to St. Helena:

dawn0406.jpg

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the Fleet Report and daily, and thanks to all for the posts and pictures.

@RedneckBob, thanks for your comments about the NS; that was great to hear, as we will be on her four weeks from tomorrow!

Should Charlie the Tuna really get a day, since he isn't good enough for Starkest? 

Twinkies have the reputation of the ability to survive for eternity (and to be edible, if anyone is there to eat them).

• Like 19
  • Haha 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Charlie the Tuna was a great marketing tool. Drowsy driving is as unsafe as drunk driving, and should be avoided. I'm not a Hostess Twinkie fan. Ok quote. Seems like we just had this meal. I've not made a whole chicken in my air fryer. Pass on the drink and I think I've had this wine. I haven't been to Niigata. A great day in history for us photography buffs, even though we've moved away from film.

It's cloudy here and in the low 40's. Brrr. The furnace has been running more again. I'm sleepy; 3.5 hours sleep seems to be my norm lately. Maybe I can get a nap in later. I'll still work on putting things back in the 3 rooms. I have 2 mantle scarves that need to be ironed before I can put stuff back there.

Welcome home @Cruising-along, @durangoscots, @cruising sister and @Cruisercl!

@Heartgrove Congrats on all the new cruise bookings. I'm glad Sam is hanging in there. 

@RedneckBob I'm glad they tried to keep people out of the aisles or on stairs at shows on the ship; that's very annoying if they block your view (plus unsafe).

@RMLincoln Good luck with the taxes. I got a letter yesterday from PA Dept of Revenue. I had a penalty for underpaying estimated taxes. But in their generosity, they were waiving it - the whole $5.59! 

@grapau27 Thank you. I hope so too.

@marshhawk I'm glad your friends were ok after the tornado. 

@Seasick Sailor Thanks. I don't want to seem self-serving, so as long as I'm on the list, last is fine. Your patio is very nice.

@ger_77 Enjoy brunch with Wayne and Fran. 

@0106 Your dinner sounds yummy. I'm not a seafood person, but will eat a good crabcake. 

@aliaschief Wow, great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

...Twinkies have the reputation of the ability to survive for eternity (and to be edible, if anyone is there to eat them).

I think the post-apocalyptic world will consist of rats and roaches eating Twinkies 🤔🙄🥺

• Like 6
  • Haha 15

Good morning. It is breezy and will get up to 50 later. Thank you to Tina @0106 for explaining rejection and the perseverance we encounter in life. I will celebrate that and watch out for drowsy drivers. My brothers and I would  buy twinkies and eat them  outside the house as they were not allowed. Such bad  children! 
We managed last night fairly well and Tana seems to feel less anxious. That of course helps everyone else to lower their anxiety. Today I am  on a cooking spree  in order to have things more manageable. So far,chicken is baking, soup is bubbling and there is a pot of vegetarian chili in my crackpot.

Welcome home to all the Grand Australia cruisers!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Not much time here on dinner and entertainment but here are some pics from our fantastic visit to Bay Gardens and Flower Dome in Singapore today.

image.thumb.jpeg.b711057ca176dd174dcb17f80a5dd241.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b98c8826246197ca74c59ea822612049.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1f6fd57a0cf3233d7e94d448d4e9386a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bc9ba0dfe8c89afbd289611781268078.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.98f7c56a3bbbde4ba78763813de600f7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8128d9c5895799237041b860b0f19466.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.756c914cd8a2e6ee204bed288fb5d9f5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fc0d1a5565e2800d2db147b2e85c469f.jpeg

Once again, amazingly beautiful pictures - keep 'em coming.

So grateful 🙏 for the generosity of Dailyites to share.

• Like 22

Posted (edited)

Charlie the Tune day and Twinkie Day are just silly. For Drowsy Driver Awareness Day, does it mean that drivers need to be aware that they could be drowsy, or that everyone else should be aware and stay out of their way?

We had air-fryer rotisserie chicken on March 16 of this year.

I ridiculed it at the time, but Lenda pointed out that in addition to basket air-fryers, there are others that are like ovens and can have a rotisserie attachment.

I think I'd rather have the Irish whiskey straight, or on the rocks. Many Finger Lakes wineries grow Syrah, but very few grow Teroldego. One that does it Red Tail Ridge, which blends it instead with Cabernet Franc, Blaufränkisch, and Lagrein as Rebel With a Cause.

My car's gas tank is about half full, but I should buy gas today, because it's the last day for redeeming supermarket points.

minorearthquake.thumb.jpg.2374dfa9b8530033fd2ec6d0d75b5508.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 21
  • Haha 7

Happy Saturday Dailyites from a COLD CHILLY 24 degree Helper, Utah!  No plans to venture outside until it warms up!

Good tuna for sandwiches is not easy to find these days in the stores.  We prefer tuna in sunflower oil and it seems to have vanished from the shelves.

We do not own an air fryer; do use my crockpot regularly; in fact did a Boston Pork Butt in it just the other day.

Looking forward to watching some PGA golf on TV today after my weekly chat on the phone with my mom back in Massachusetts.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all in need.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

...These are in a neighbor's front yard.

DSC00347.thumb.JPG.e3dcd70b28505524f33cfd1aaaf619dd.JPG

The field across the road from the first picture.

DSC00348.thumb.JPG.9020e4929c37a3716366abb27444d323.JPG

My small but growing patch of bluebonnets.

DSC00351.thumb.JPG.cf4ad952803305ea63b8f268a3150582.JPG

I really enjoy seeing your bluebonnet pictures. A house not far from us had quite a nice patch every year, but I haven't seen them in a couple years. The house was sold and I fear the new owners mow them down (tsk tsk). Next door neighbor at our previous home grew them in his front yard so he wouldn't have to mow.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

...My car's gas tank is about half full, but I should buy gas today, because it's the last day for redeeming supermarket points.

I missed $1.00/gal discount in March because I did not redeem before April 1. With my car requiring super unleaded and gas prices so high, that hurts.

So, I would definitely fill up at half tank to benefit from a discount.

• Like 16

Posted (edited)

I was outside a little while ago to get something from the motorhome, and it will have to warm up more before I can start the yard work.  The weather app says the wind is now 21mph.  At least between the clouds and the wind, I shouldn't get too hot later.

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you to everyone for the daily news!  We made it to Fort Lauderdale late last night, after an eventful day of snow storms, (they said 8 inches in Calgary), delayed flights, and a lot more walking than I had anticipated.  But we and our suitcases are here now!  Pat is still asleep , but I’ll wake him soon, as the plan is to go to Joe’s Diner for breakfast.  

Ann, I'm glad you made it safely to Fort Lauderdale even with the delays and weather.

53 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Not much time here on dinner and entertainment but here are some pics from our fantastic visit to Bay Gardens and Flower Dome in Singapore today.

image.thumb.jpeg.b711057ca176dd174dcb17f80a5dd241.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b98c8826246197ca74c59ea822612049.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1f6fd57a0cf3233d7e94d448d4e9386a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bc9ba0dfe8c89afbd289611781268078.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.98f7c56a3bbbde4ba78763813de600f7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.845f747cbbccb055bf717467a7d13da8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8128d9c5895799237041b860b0f19466.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.756c914cd8a2e6ee204bed288fb5d9f5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fc0d1a5565e2800d2db147b2e85c469f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.89cc305155cc1c9bc6cdbd2934398105.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dbfcdd230d7fcbb333c638ffd77ddcdb.jpeg
x in TV

Bruce, thank you for more great pictures.

27 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Charlie the Tuna was a great marketing tool. Drowsy driving is as unsafe as drunk driving, and should be avoided. I'm not a Hostess Twinkie fan. Ok quote. Seems like we just had this meal. I've not made a whole chicken in my air fryer. Pass on the drink and I think I've had this wine. I haven't been to Niigata. A great day in history for us photography buffs, even though we've moved away from film.

It's cloudy here and in the low 40's. Brrr. The furnace has been running more again. I'm sleepy; 3.5 hours sleep seems to be my norm lately. Maybe I can get a nap in later. I'll still work on putting things back in the 3 rooms. I have 2 mantle scarves that need to be ironed before I can put stuff back there.

@Heartgrove Congrats on all the new cruise bookings. I'm glad Sam is hanging in there. 

@RedneckBob I'm glad they tried to keep people out of the aisles or on stairs at shows on the ship; that's very annoying if they block your view (plus unsafe).

@RMLincoln Good luck with the taxes. I got a letter yesterday from PA Dept of Revenue. I had a penalty for underpaying estimated taxes. But in their generosity, they were waiving it - the whole $5.59! 

@Seasick Sailor Thanks. I don't want to seem self-serving, so as long as I'm on the list, last is fine. Your patio is very nice.

@0106 Your dinner sounds yummy. I'm not a seafood person, but will eat a good crabcake. 

Vanessa, I hope you can get a nap in, since 3 1/2 hours sleep is not enough.  How generous of the Department of Revenue to waive your "huge" penalty. 

24 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is breezy and will get up to 50 later. Thank you to Tina @0106 for explaining rejection and the perseverance we encounter in life. I will celebrate that and watch out for drowsy drivers. My brothers and I would  buy twinkies and eat them  outside the house as they were not allowed. Such bad  children! 
We managed last night fairly well and Tana seems to feel less anxious. That of course helps everyone else to lower their anxiety. Today I am  on a cooking spree  in order to have things more manageable. So far,chicken is baking, soup is bubbling and there is a pot of vegetarian chili in my crackpot.

Welcome home to all the Grand Australia cruisers!

Terri, I'm happy that Tana seems to feel less anxious, and that it helps the rest of the family to lessen their anxiety.  

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

20240406_084736.thumb.jpg.06ad7294f732f71ff627a32583401eb4.jpg

Above the firepit and to the right is where I'm hoping the shade will go. I'll have to move the Lantana from the planter because the frame is going across the middle of it.

Lovely, relaxing patio.  I hope the shade helps.

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Until we got cable, I had never heard of Charlie the Tuna.  Drowsy drivers are as dangerous as drunk ones.  DH always lets me know when he's starting to lose his concentration on the highway and we quickly pull over and switch places.  I've never had a passion for Twinkies; for me it was one and done.  I remember bringing rolls and rolls of film along for our cameras on vacations over the years.

Bright sunshine out there this morning and we're above freezing again - yay!  Currently +4(39) with a predicted high of +15 (59) means a lot of the snow will be disappearing.  As I opened the curtains to the front yard I could see a noticeable improvement just from yesterday's warmth and it will soon be time to get the rake out to remove the debris left from the junipers over the winter.  

Welcome home to all our Daily cruisers - I hope you came back with wonderful memories.

While DH was away with his kids yesterday I accomplished a lot - 3 loads of laundry washed, dried and put away; vacuumed the entire main floor; ran the cleaner through the dishwasher; vacuum sealed 12 packages of chicken breasts; removed, recharged and replaced our doorbell camera, and walked a mile on the treadmill.  I figured it was time to bring it out again, as I've neglected it for so long, so when I was downstairs doing laundry, I turned on the TV and walked.

Not a lot on the agenda for us today, but we're meeting our friends Wayne & Fran for brunch around 1.  I feel bad that we haven't seen them for some time, but we've been busy with Ollie and Gord, and I know they understand.  It will be good to catch up with them and talk about happy things.

I would try the drink if someone made it for me, I've had the wine and enjoyed it, and we do like rotisserie chicken, although I've never made one.  We've got an air fryer but it doesn't have the rotisserie feature - I'm sure it would be fine just in the tray though.    I've got a couple of salmon fillets thawing right now that will be coated in panko crumbs and baked, and will be served along with air fried asparagus and baked potatoes at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in path of storms or earthquakes(!), in grief, and in wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, you had a busy day yesterday.  Enjoy your brunch with Wayne and Fran.

17 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I really enjoy seeing your bluebonnet pictures. A house not far from us had quite a nice patch every year, but I haven't seen them in a couple years. The house was sold and I fear the new owners mow them down (tsk tsk). Next door neighbor at our previous home grew them in his front yard so he wouldn't have to mow.

Thank you, Elizabeth.  Ennis bills itself as the Bluebonnet Capital, but we've seen just as many beautiful fields of bluebonnets all over the area.  Many years ago, a neighbor gave me some of the seeds from her bluebonnets as the start of my small patch of bluebonnets.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope the foot pain hospital visit and the skin cancer checks go well for you.  I'm sorry to hear about the foot pain and hope they can resolve the issue for you quickly.  On Friday I am seeing the ENT about my cough.  I visited him several years ago and he did a laryngoscopy but found nothing out of the ordinary.  Since the cough seems worse to me they will take another look, is my guess.

I hope everything goes well on Friday for you at ENT Sandi.

I wonder whether there is something that you are allergic to that is causing the cough.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

The Ascent also leaves on Dec 1. Based my advanced math studies and what happened this past year at Port Everglades, there are four ship in ports on 12/1/24. Expect the Reflection to leave from Terminal 19 and the Ascent Terminal 25. Meet you in Main Parking Garage on 12/1, Level 3 at 10:45 am!

Make that level 2 and it’s a date.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

They tried but there was a bad accident in the showroom. Someone on a scooter somehow went over the stairs and as I understand it toppled down part of the stairs. The Cruise Director was very professional keeping everyone calm and clearing the area as quickly as possible so the medical staff could take of the passenger injured.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

19 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Make that level 2 and it’s a date.

Sorry, can’t make it. Always park on Level 3 because besides ground floor only other place where there is a parking validation machine. When we arrived off the NS last week there were +20 people in line with luggage waiting on the elevators to the upper level of the main garage. I just walked up the steps to Level 3, validated my parking ticket and drove to the terminal to pick up the Misses and the luggage; all in five minutes!

• Like 12

Anybody know Carrabba’s Grill in FLL and how it is?  We walked to Joe’s for a nice breakfast and then to Publix for some wine and other bits and pieces, and then back to the hotel.  I know now I will not be able to walk to the Outback tonight, if that is where they want to go, I’d have to take a taxi - that four airports and three flights have really done me in.  But Carrabba’S is just at the corner near the hotel, I think I could do that.  I looked at the menu, I’m tempted by the lobster ravioli, or maybe the veal piccata.  Here’s me, thinking about the next meal….

• Like 17

27 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Anybody know Carrabba’s Grill in FLL and how it is?  We walked to Joe’s for a nice breakfast and then to Publix for some wine and other bits and pieces, and then back to the hotel.  I know now I will not be able to walk to the Outback tonight, if that is where they want to go, I’d have to take a taxi - that four airports and three flights have really done me in.  But Carrabba’S is just at the corner near the hotel, I think I could do that.  I looked at the menu, I’m tempted by the lobster ravioli, or maybe the veal piccata.  Here’s me, thinking about the next meal….

We had dinner at Carrabba's last time we were in FLL (last year) and enjoyed it; it was similar to Olive Garden.  What hotel are you staying at?  I was thinking it was the Hyatt which is just a hop, skip and a jump from the Outback, but it sounds like you're farther away than that. 

@aliaschiefthanks a bunch for the photos from the Gardens By The Bay - one of our favourite places ever!  We can't wait to get back there and enjoy it again.

• Like 18

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Sorry, can’t make it. Always park on Level 3 because besides ground floor only other place where there is a parking validation machine. When we arrived off the NS last week there were +20 people in line with luggage waiting on the elevators to the upper level of the main garage. I just walked up the steps to Level 3, validated my parking ticket and drove to the terminal to pick up the Misses and the luggage; all in five minutes!

We do the early walkoff and I mean early, DW is usually first or second in line ( I meet her a little later) and we never have to wait at the garage to pay at the machine. 

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 15

Good morning and Happy Saturday. Like Pennie @Nickelpenny said it was very windy yesterday. I have a rolling shutter on the upstairs window and it rattled all afternoon which is unusual because it is very stable. 

I never really ate Twinkies because my Dad didn’t let us have dessert or sweets or sodas. When I was a teenager my parents divorced and I started eating Swiss rolls and hiding them so no one else could have them. I still don’t eat many sweets. I remember my father had a darkroom and developed his own film, mostly of teeth since he was a dentist, but he also developed his own pictures. I can still smell the scent of the chemicals if I close my eyes. 

Today we are having grilled smoked hamburgers. We haven’t had them in a long time so I’m looking forward to lunch. I might even make French fries.  Yesterday I made chicken mushroom crepes with an impromptu recipe. I found 6 crepes vacuumed sealed and had the other ingredients so it came together quickly. 

I forgot about the SpaceX launch last night but I see one on the schedule for tonight so maybe it was postponed. I need to set an alarm. 😉

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, your pictures of the bluebells are beautiful. Will they last until early May?  I hope so, I’d love to see them. They are so different than AZ wildflowers. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

We had dinner at Carrabba's last time we were in FLL (last year) and enjoyed it; it was similar to Olive Garden.  What hotel are you staying at?  I was thinking it was the Hyatt which is just a hop, skip and a jump from the Outback, but it sounds like you're farther away than that. 

@aliaschiefthanks a bunch for the photos from the Gardens By The Bay - one of our favourite places ever!  We can't wait to get back there and enjoy it again.

Thanks, Gerry, we are at the Holiday Inn Express.  It definitely is further!  Tony and Martha should be arriving soon from Toronto, and we will discuss dinner.  

• Like 15

45 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Saturday. Like Pennie @Nickelpenny said it was very windy yesterday. I have a rolling shutter on the upstairs window and it rattled all afternoon which is unusual because it is very stable. 

I never really ate Twinkies because my Dad didn’t let us have dessert or sweets or sodas. When I was a teenager my parents divorced and I started eating Swiss rolls and hiding them so no one else could have them. I still don’t eat many sweets. I remember my father had a darkroom and developed his own film, mostly of teeth since he was a dentist, but he also developed his own pictures. I can still smell the scent of the chemicals if I close my eyes. 

Today we are having grilled smoked hamburgers. We haven’t had them in a long time so I’m looking forward to lunch. I might even make French fries.  Yesterday I made chicken mushroom crepes with an impromptu recipe. I found 6 crepes vacuumed sealed and had the other ingredients so it came together quickly. 

I forgot about the SpaceX launch last night but I see one on the schedule for tonight so maybe it was postponed. I need to set an alarm. 😉

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, your pictures of the bluebells are beautiful. Will they last until early May?  I hope so, I’d love to see them. They are so different than AZ wildflowers. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, I tried the mashed potatoes with the Boursin cheese and made everyone very happy. Thanks !

• Like 15