is 15 days to long ?

iggyc

I have done a 13 day cruise on a larger ship with 3 other couples so no lack of company, What I found is menu is repeated on the 2nd week, The sea days on a small ship get very boring with lack of entertainment. My best advice is bring a lot of books to read.

1 hour ago, bones774 said:

I get a kick out if people complaining the menu gets boring, so when you're home you have that extensive a menu choice? Never the same meal in 20 days? lol

Right?!? So many choices! I eat so simply at home that’s i am overwhelmed with the options! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sweetnspicy said:

Right?!? So many choices! I eat so simply at home that’s i am overwhelmed with the options! 

We have done a couple of 12 day cruises. I think we would enjoy a 15 day, but 12 days was great I also laugh at people who complain about the boring menu. Each nigh MDR there are so many choices, just order something different each night: same with specialty dining rooms. Add the buffet, etc and there are plenty of choices. At home I do a menu every week after I have shopped. Quite often I will repeat a a favorite almost weekly. 

18 hours ago, iggyc said:

Have done many 7 day cruises and considering suprising hubby with a 15 day cruise on the Star from Miami to Santiago, Chile.  Worried that 15 days may be long.  Itinerary has 6 sea days.  Appreciate thoughts of anyone who has done long cruises before.  Thanks

Most of our cruises are two weeks or longer.  All good.  We did a great cruise in 2011 on Celebrity from Ft. Lauderdale through the Panama Canal down the W. coast of SA to Chile.  It was a great trip.

In Lima, go with MonicaTours

If you need transport or tours in Chile, go with SouthExcursions

I love longer cruises - 10, 12, or 14 days.  At the end of a 7-day cruise, I am sad the vacation is ending and don't feel fully relaxed . At the end of longer cruises, especially 14 days, I  feel ready to go home.  I enjoy both sea days and port days on longer cruises, but at the end of them,  I am ready for my own bed, some favorite foods not available on the ship, my regular routine.   

As to whether the OP would enjoy 15  days - well, none of us can predict.   With 6 sea days, you have to be honest about how much you like or don't like sea days.   Some people are bored on sea days, and some people love the opportunity to relax and do nothing.   A longer cruise is certainly a big investment, and it pays to think long and hard about whether or not it is the right choice.    A good starting point is looking at the mix of sea days and port days and your feelings about each.  

My upcoming 14-day cruise in Europe is port intensive, and I am not worried about being bored but being exhausted.   But as I have told others considering a port intensive cruise, especially in Europe where sightseeing in port is probably a big factor, a cruise has what I call forced relaxation in that you typically have to be back on board in the evening for a leisurely meal and a relaxed evening and/or an early bedtime.   And there is usually at least one or two sea days for more "forced relaxion."    

To the OP, if you decide to go on the 15-day cruise, I hope you have a wonderful time.  

I agree with most posters on evaluating how much you like sea days to decide.  Last summer, I did a 16 day San Francisco round trip to Hawaii.  It was the most continuous sea days I had ever done and I loved it.  But, I've always enjoyed sea days and never find them boring.  This summer, we did a 14 day cruise on NCL from Southampton.  The crew told us they only took provisions on in Southampton so the food wasn't the freshest quality the second week and they ran out of a few items.  I'm not sure NCL is designed for longer cruises compared to some other cruise lines.  The food and entertainment is more repetitive but for a cruise with interesting ports, it can be overlooked.

We wondered if 15 would be too long too... had done several 10s and a 12.  Then did a 15 day reposition on Breakaway from NYC to New Orleans and it was a dream.

What do you do with extra sea days?  Break your routine.  Find a different place to hang out.  Go attend an activity you see on the schedule and never took the time for.  Splurge for another specialty restaurant or two.  I had a ball.

16 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

We wondered if 15 would be too long too... had done several 10s and a 12.  Then did a 15 day reposition on Breakaway from NYC to New Orleans and it was a dream.

What do you do with extra sea days?  Break your routine.  Find a different place to hang out.  Go attend an activity you see on the schedule and never took the time for.  Splurge for another specialty restaurant or two.  I had a ball.

I was on that cruise too, it was very good. I think it had something to do with the demographic makeup. We had NY party people and Southern party people all having a good time. I'll never forget all weekend , "Roll tide", as i'm a NY'er.

And your last para is true too.

PS -you get the bigger shareholder benefits for that cruise length

Edited by bones774
  • Like 1

It all depends on where you are going. My wife and I did a 14 day on the BA in a few years ago out of NYC in February to the Southern Caribbean. Three sea days down were fine, 3 ports, one sea day and three more ports. Three sea days coming back...ugh. The weather sucked, last two days all the decks were closed due to high wind and high seas. We had spa passes but everything with water in it was drained. We couldn't wait to get off.

22 hours ago, iggyc said:

Have done many 7 day cruises and considering suprising hubby with a 15 day cruise on the Star from Miami to Santiago, Chile.  Worried that 15 days may be long.  Itinerary has 6 sea days.  Appreciate thoughts of anyone who has done long cruises before.  Thanks

15 days at work = TOO LONG.

15 days on a cruise = HEAVEN!!

:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I'd do 15 days in a heart beat.  I'm really interested in the Panama cruises that start on one coast and end on the other.  A Mexican Riviera, Panama and Caribbean combined cruise.  Only issue for me is the timings offered, whether or not to bring my 10 yr old son or what to do with him and the costs.  Taxes and free at sea service charges both double.

It honestly depends on the person.  We did an 11 day Caribbean in January.  I was totally happy with the length of the cruise, but my wife said she was kinda burnt out by the time we got off the boat.  

We're keeping it to a 7 day next time.  I imagine it'll probably feel too short to me, but being able to schedule it for just a week means we'll probably be able to schedule a second week-long vacation sometime in the summer as well.

On 8/25/2019 at 1:32 PM, iggyc said:

Not long enough for us!  Longest we have sailed is for 32 days on MSC Divina this last Dec.  The only reason I was ready to get off the ship is because my clothes were getting too tight 🤣🤣  We have a 21 day on the Seaside booked for this December then a 21 day cruise booked on the NCL Breakaway in January.  I can't wait!!!  I just can't imagine going on a 7 day cruise ever again.

• Like 1

Enjoy your trip and your retirement!

I guess I am the oddball hereI like to do short vacations as I get to go away much more often. I prefer shorter cruises. 5 day is perfect for me. 🙂 Sea days are ok but more than 2 is 1 too many for me. On our upcoming cruise we have 3 1/2 sea days(late arrival in PR). We chose to try a new line and chose the ship over everything else. If I had not booked tight flights out of MIA, I would switch ships. 

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:41 PM, bones774 said:

I get a kick out if people complaining the menu gets boring, so when you're home you have that extensive a menu choice? Never the same meal in 20 days? lol

I have never thought about it before because I haven't been on anything other than a 7 day cruise with Norwegian and never seen a repeat menu.  So after 7 days do the menus start to repeat or do they have more than 7 different daily menus for the MDRs?

My cousin Dave from Dayton and his wife went for 21 days and had a hard time adjusting when they got back to reality. I would think 7-10 is the best. That's just me.  I knew he had problems when he tried to use his UBP card at happy hour in Cincinnati.

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2019 at 1:32 PM, mugtech said:

My wife complained at the end of our 29 day b2b on the Sun through the Panama Canal and then 10 days round trip to Alaska out of Vancouver.  Her complaint was that the Sun food had gotten boring the last 3 days.  We want to see the world, so our attitude is the longer the better for the most part.  We are going to the the Baltics for 12 days, but the best way to get there is doing a TA of 15 days.  Same deal in Asia, we did a 12 night on NCL Jewel, was just right. Gonna do 25 days Vancouver to Singapore next September, don't anticipate being tired or bored.  Heading West means a lot of 25 hour days.

For me the longer trips with many sea days means we do progressive trivia, meet some great people that way, always lots of fun.  Never forget doing 6 days at sea including a 3 day pirate watch out of Dubai before entering the Suez Canal and ending in Barcelona. There was a Thai couple on that cruise who set up daily duplicate bridge tournaments, the days went very quickly, another great bunch of people.  Gonna do it again in 2 years, hitting more Middle East ports, ending again in Barcelona. The shortest cruises we now book are 9 days.

We did 29 days on Jewel. Mugtech was on part,of that cruise with us.Repositioning cruise from Australia  to Seattle. We went as far as Hong Kong. Best cruise of our 

life. Steve made our excursions happen and we had a great group. Having laundry perks helped also. The secret is to have enough sea days to relax from port days and being retired to not worry about work. Now, 7 day cruises seem to end too quickly.

• Like 1