The Daily for Sunday Feb 14, 2021

richwmn

Good Afternoon All,

We now have a sunny day after morning low clouds. 

Today is the 120th anniversary of my gramma’s birth, so we are having her chicken pie and raisin filled cookies for dinner. Actually, both recipes have been lost, so I’ll use the turkey biscuit bake from last week’s meal of the day and a recipe I found on the internet ( that looks similar) for the cookies. And limoncello gelato. Gramma loved ice cream, with Friendlies peppermint stick and Sealtest coffee varieties her favorites. But I bet she’d approve of this gelato. 

So around here it’s a ride in the hills and clean more in the garage after the cookies get made.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Happy Sunday, Valentine's Day, cold winter's day for many (judging by the photos).

It is a low-key day for us. We had take-out Mexican last night from a place near us that only recently re-opened so yay for them (and us!). Today we'll munch on a few Valentine's chocolates and endure the dreary gray rain. There is one colorful thing in my yard though:

image.thumb.png.74b2069aeb55a006c65fb8b28e9a2a18.png 

Beautiful!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just had an email exchange with Roger.  In his words "So far so good. Feel good but waiting for detailed MRI of neck right below the 2010 fusion.   If this more compressed than we think will operate again Tuesday to resolve before discharge and rehab.  "

I feel pretty good about the report.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

What a special post today!!!  Thank you!!  I can not even tell you and everyone here what a refuge the Daily is for me. 

• Like 14

Happy Valentines Day!  Last year on the Westerdam, we had finally reached a port in Cambodia, yesterday. Today, February 14th was special for many reasons.  We were awakened by the Captain at 6:15 am, and asked to dress, take the Cambodian gift scarves left in the room, last night, and go on the outside decks to greet the Prime Minister, who was coming to welcome the first group of passengers to leave the ship.  It was quite an event as he arrived by helicopter and was there to welcome each as they came down the gangway.  When we got back to our cabin, a big envelope was at our mailbox, giving us our disembarkation information and to have our luggage outside our door at 9:00 am!

To be continued...

• Like 16

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!!  And happy Sunday!!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

I used to like Ferris wheels but now I get vertigo so anything like that makes me feel unbalanced. 

For our Valentine’s Day meal we are having surf and turf. The surf are scallops and the turf is a tenderloin fillet. DH requested mushroom risotto so that is our side dish. Then we have this cake for dessert:

8BEEDFD5-4C5B-4A98-A291-51D6EDAE17C9.thumb.jpeg.c8e4a7816664c116174fbb33cc778efe.jpeg

I have been looking at cruises for October 2022 and think I’ve found one that I like so am calling my PCC tomorrow to book. First time ever that I’ve booked so far in advance. 

I love you all and wish everyone a Happy Valentine’s Day. 

C5BC9E1E-15AB-44A2-8904-2C9F7ADCF8D6.thumb.jpeg.5959875ea2b16825dc10783c2b80a0ed.jpeg

• Like 19

Part 2 -

I’ve never packed so quickly before!  Bob has one large duffel bag and I have a suitcase and a garment bag.  We had pink 1 tags to attach.  We were to be on the dock at noon to board a bus to the airport for our chartered flight to Kuala Lumpur.  Our luggage was on the dock, but my garment bag was missing.  We had to board the bus without it, as it should show up at the airport.  It did!  Our flight to KL was smooth and on time. We had to go to a special area for charter flights, a huge open space with rows of seats just inside the door, where we had our temperature taken by a camera.

To be continued...

• Like 14

1 minute ago, bobpatj said:

Part 2 -

I’ve never packed so quickly before!  Bob has one large duffel bag and I have a suitcase and a garment bag.  We had pink 1 tags to attach.  We were to be on the dock at noon to board a bus to the airport for our chartered flight to Kuala Lumpur.  Our luggage was on the dock, but my garment bag was missing.  We had to board the bus without it, as it should show up at the airport.  It did!  Our flight to KL was smooth and on time. We had to go to a special area for charter flights, a huge open space with rows of seats just inside the door, where we had our temperature taken by a camera.

To be continued...

Was this actual February 14 or was it February 15 on that side of the dateline?

Roy

• Like 1

Valentine day is special for us as one year from today we will board the Noordam in Yokohama for 42 days in Asia; mostly around Japan.  A little more snow this morning, but now it is above freezing so I shoveled a path down our driveway to the road so I could check on our mail.  No mail of course as there is no way he could have driven up our hill yesterday.  Bobpatj mentioned the scarves we were presented by the Prime Minister of Cambodia.  Here is what one looks like.  They were mostly different patterns.P1010260.thumb.JPG.39b3c1d75d2795c3943eec468424a551.JPG

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Here is a Ferris Wheel from a distance. Seattle June 2019:

EDF0282B-93F0-410C-AF1D-506D19213D25.thumb.jpeg.56401a513a1c1b18d5e8a6facf370bab.jpeg

Thought I might expound on the Seattle Great Wheel.  The gondolas are huge, holding 6-8 passengers.  At present they are set up for intimate dining for four.  Not inexpensive, though: A four-course dinner is $152.50 per person; the wine is extra.

Ray

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I just had an email exchange with Roger.  In his words "So far so good. Feel good but waiting for detailed MRI of neck right below the 2010 fusion.   If this more compressed than we think will operate again Tuesday to resolve before discharge and rehab.  "

I feel pretty good about the report.

Roy

Hoping  for  the  best  possible  news for  both of  you!   Terry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I finished our Valentine's Day cake.  I'll never be able to do one as pretty as those posted yesterday.  I'm still trying to get the hang of piping the buttercream icing.  It's either too firm or too soft, but I'll keep trying.  😁  

DSC09210.thumb.JPG.9431d2c5335e6c53a808d7959b373621.JPG

@rafinmd I hope your brother gets good news from the MRI and does not need more surgery.  If he does, here's hoping it fixes everything.    Also, hoping you can have the valve worked on with the catherization surgery.

I've never cared for Ferris wheels and was never really good with heights.  Since climbing the Leaning Tower of Pisa in 2002, I am somewhat better with heights.  I made it up to the bells, but could not make my self go to the very top.  When DH cam back down, he said I was as white as the column I was leaning against.  Now, when I start climbing a ladder or am on a very high balcony or viewpoint, I just keep telling myself, "You made it up the Leaning Tower".

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Roy, it was really the 14th!

Part 3,

We seemed to be in this big room for a long  time with nobody telling us where to go.  Some medical people appeared and left.  Some passengers had flights that night and weren’t happy!  One of our group, a very organized woman, took charge, calling the ship, HAL and the US Consulate.  Then things began to happen! We found out that a woman on our flight had tested positive for COVID 19.  She and her husband were hospitalized.  A woman from the Counsulate arrived, took us to the Malaysian Airlines’s private club for the night and with the help of these two women, we all got to our destinations!

• Like 12

Thanks everyone for the uplifting day from all the wonderful posts. I want to echo all the wonderful words of thanks for the funny sayings, the funny pictures, the recipes and the quotes. What a neat way to start or end a day.

Roy, many prayers for you and Roger- and praying for the very best outcome. This gathering felt so odd without you, although Rich was a trooper to take up the slack. 

It is a tad cold here in  Alabama. For a while I thought I might be in Saskatoon. Ice storm coming and temps into the teens. That will shut down  our town completely.  Another adventure!

447F3BD8-1FC6-4DAF-8EB0-AACC4AE23966.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1