The Daily for Sunday Feb 14, 2021

richwmn

Valentine.thumb.png.d8b00cde1166a3a611120dffb076abd6.png

today is Ferris Wheel Day, National Organ Donor Day, and Valentine's Day

"I'd love to go out with you, but I did my own thing and now I've got to undo it."

Meal suggestion for today - Polish Casserole

Drink of the Day - Volcano

Wine of the day - Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Our 40th Harvest vintage 2012

at Sea English Channel
Eurodam destination Southampton eta 3/2
Zaandam destination Torquay eta 2/15

at Sea Pacific
Westerdam

De Ville De La Baie
Oosterdam

La Paz MX Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Long Beach
Noordam

Long Beach Anchorage
Koningsdam

San Ignacio Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam

Great Stirrup Cay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Volendam -- engaged in operations off Torquay, returning tomorrow
Eurodam is scheduled for Southampton, but doesn't seem to have moved yet

0214Tor.thumb.png.fc11b42db9a934ed88824d4ff69a7e4e.png

0214USA.thumb.png.72d034b67617fd3fdc65ca1b68962f85.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Happy Valentine's Day.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's cold here, about -14C (7F) so a good day to stay in by the fire with my sweetie.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, but I'd love a glass or two of the wine.   Looking forward to reading about the drink of the day.

Interesting quote.

Sending prayers to all.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Stay safe.

• Like 17

Thank you for the Valentines Daily, Rich.  A big salute to organ donors.  I haven't been on a ferris wheel in years.  Both the quote and the meal suggestion sound interesting.  My alternative is Citrus Delight with Amaretto, Apple Cider Brined Pork Chop with Cherry-Raisin Chutney and Berries Financier as served on MS Prinsendam Valentines Day of 2019. 

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/dishes14.jpg

Of course the penguins were ready for the occasion:

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/valpenguins.jpg

Today's care list:

NextOne DH awaiting reconstruction

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

My brother having another surgery

Seasick Sailor’s frineds

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Me home temporarily

Himself in Florida

50 years for Denise and David

Vaccinators

This community

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Happy Valentine's Day Rich, Roy, and all our dailyites.  I love ferris wheels!  The meal sounds good, looking forward to Debbie's recipe.  Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Have a great Sunday everyone.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Volcano:

INGREDIENTS
6 ounces grapefruit juice, 2 ounces fresh lime juice, 3⁄4ounce maple syrup ,1⁄2 ounce simple syrup, 3  ounces demarara rum or 3 ounces golden rum, 2  ounces jamaican rum or 2 ounces dark rum, 1  ounce hawaiian rum or 1 ounce white rum, 1⁄2 ounce Bacardi 151 rum (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Shake ingredients (except 151 rum) with ice, then strain into volcano bowl or cocktail glasses.
Pour 151 rum into volcano crater if using volcano bowl, and ignite just prior to serving.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 6.50.27 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.

So excited because my sister will be arriving today.   She'll get in just ahead of a winter storm that we are expecting on Monday.  It will actually be mostly Monday evening into Tuesday.  We are expecting 5-9 inches here by Tuesday morning.  Thankfully, I have a plow service that will take care of the driveway for us.  

I'm going to make up several meals for us today so that I don't have to spend my time cooking while she's here and we can spend it visiting.   I'm sure we'll do some ordering out.  There is a restaurant that we both really like and we'll have at least one meal from there.   

Today's meal sounds pretty good.  I took it from a different site as I preferred the recipe there.  I'm going to have to try this one if I can find a good substitution for the pasta.  

https://12tomatoes.com/polish-pasta-casserole/

Polish-Casserole-Vertical-5-728x970.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and Happy Valentine's day to all of the Dailyites!

Thanks as always to Rich and Roy and all who work to make this an enjoyable place to look forward to every morning.

It's 3 degrees this morning and unfortunately that's the high for the day. Between now and Monday evening it's supposed to drop as low as -13 with wind chills in the -20 to -30 range. On the bright side they've dropped the snow forecast from 7 - 10 inches down to 3 -5. So there is that. 😝

This greeted us in the Lido on the Oosterdam a year ago this morning...

HVD.thumb.JPG.661d972a734f41890b94f20581e72663.JPG

And in the spirit of bright and colorful (since we haven't seen much of that lately around here), a centerpiece we saw later that day as we visited Nicaragua...

A.thumb.JPG.bf7f464981a0cbfe82c9b71c1c12b8ec.JPG

Wishing everyone a warm, bright, colorful, safe and healthy, and Happy Valentine's Day!

Lori & George

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

So excited because my sister will be arriving today.   She'll get in just ahead of a winter storm that we are expecting on Monday.  It will actually be mostly Monday evening into Tuesday.  We are expecting 5-9 inches here by Tuesday morning.  Thankfully, I have a plow service that will take care of the driveway for us.  

I'm going to make up several meals for us today so that I don't have to spend my time cooking while she's here and we can spend it visiting.   I'm sure we'll do some ordering out.  There is a restaurant that we both really like and we'll have at least one meal from there.   

Today's meal sounds pretty good.  I took it from a different site as I preferred the recipe there.  I'm going to have to try this one if I can find a good substitution for the pasta.  

https://12tomatoes.com/polish-pasta-casserole/

Polish-Casserole-Vertical-5-728x970.jpg

Oh my Debbie, this  recipe  looks  like  a  good  one. Thank  you  for  bringing  it  to us. Enjoy  your  visit  with  your  sister in  spite  of  the  weather.

Our  area is  experiencing increased  iciness  and  intermittent  mixed  precipitation. A  Happy Valentines Day  to  all.    Terry

• Like 20

Good morning all. Thanks rich and Roy and happy Valentine’s Day to all. 50 years ago today our twin daughters were born and it, too, was on a Sunday. We are very lucky that they and their families live only about 5 miles from us. We will be celebrating with coffee and cake this afternoon, outside, even though it is cold,  and physically distanced because we are still in lockdown. Thinking of all who are without power this day and hope everyone can stay safe.

AFB4A016-9DAB-46D7-A9FF-1AC5763663AD.jpeg

• Like 36

Happy Valentines Day!

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another interesting combo of days. I will toast to the organ donors, who truly give the gift of life.

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! 
That is quite the quote, Rich! I can not even imagine that drink, Summer! That would pack quite a punch. @dfish, Debbie hope you have a great visit with your Sister. 

It is another murky morning in the neighborhood. We will see what the day brings.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 
Stay well everyone. 

Those of you who love a full bodied red might want to take a look at this spectacularly rated wine. Every released vintage shares the same high ratings. A bit over my budget, but I might be able to find it locally for less.

I found several online distributors with prices starting at  $52.94.

Winemaker Notes

#11 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

Ruby red, tending to garnet red with aging. A broad, ethereal and compound smell with hints of violet and a pleasant hint of wild berries and vanilla. Dry, warm and velvety, denoting a richtexture and fine breed. 

Pair with roasted red meat, noble game and medium aged cheese.

WS96 Wine Spectator:  Cherry, leather and iron notes mark this suave, elegant red. A bit reticent now, but the fruit is fresh and long on the finish. The dense tannins leave a mouthcoating impression, but this opens up beautifully over a few hours. Best from 2021 through 2035.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Happy Valentine's Day Rich. Thank you for the Daily. Love the quote!! The last ferris wheel we were on was a ride on the London Eye a few years ago. Dfish hope you have a fun time with your sis. 

Good morning dear sisters. Denise how was your anniversary? Roy I hope things are moving along for you on your valve replacement. You are all in my prayers. 

I have been so worried for my little hummer friends. I got up at 5 to change the frozen sugar water. I have a hummingbird house they never used in the summer but I put cotton balls and dryer lint in it thinking they may need refuge from our upcoming storm. 

I went to our mailbox last night and it is still a solid sheet of ice. None of us can get our mail since last weeks ice storm. Looks like someone tried chipping their box with a rock but it's not budging! Lol

Prayers and Cheers,

Joy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Happy Valentine’s Day!!! 

D019768E-592B-4554-A93A-6B9D147B6AB8.thumb.jpeg.8bdefe8e47d37e8563e718548b84a30f.jpeg

DH knows I love my flowers so along with the bouquet, I was gifted this beautiful orchid.

8466D7A1-6527-4162-909C-B7810CE7B5C4.thumb.jpeg.1d50d47a63748bf30f39a022471799cb.jpeg

Organ Donors are so important.  Love the quote.  Makes me think so this:

7B42F511-BA45-4EA2-992A-CEDE368C883B.thumb.jpeg.85ab029b4175585f1a32b679808a9c77.jpeg

The meal suggestion sounds really good but it’s Valentine’s Day so DH and I will be having a yummy seafood bake.

That drink looks great, summer - strong, but great 😉 

It’s been a hectic, tiring week in politics to say the least.  This applies any time but seemed particularly apt now:  

8C4B8EDC-23D9-4F40-9EBB-0ABFF83ED6D0.jpeg.7661138be47a0c3da8603e8dec8fb8ba.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for all those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday and a very Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!!!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷  Enjoy the day and:

311F3668-F2A7-48B4-8E8C-C1DFB22A0DE0.thumb.png.643c9fdd0e6e45501cb62bd40a9e302a.png

• Like 33
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Happy Valentine's Day Rich. Thank you for the Daily. Love the quote!! The last ferris wheel we were on was a ride on the London Eye a few years ago. Dfish hope you have a fun time with your sis. 

Good morning dear sisters. Denise how was your anniversary? Roy I hope things are moving along for you on your valve replacement. You are all in my prayers. 

I have been so worried for my little hummer friends. I got up at 5 to change the frozen sugar water. I have a hummingbird house they never used in the summer but I put cotton balls and dryer lint in it thinking they may need refuge from our upcoming storm. 

I went to our mailbox last night and it is still a solid sheet of ice. None of us can get our mail since last weeks ice storm. Looks like someone tried chipping their box with a rock but it's not budging! Lol

Prayers and Cheers,

Joy

0817181110_HDR.jpg

• Like 20

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Valentine's Day to all - whether you're in a relationship or not, you deserve to enjoy the day and know that you are loved. 

A great selection of days to celebrate - haven't been on a ferris wheel in ages, but certainly would love to again some day.  We signed our organ donor cards years ago, and our families know our wishes.  Love the drink of the day because it reminds me of our first date when we went to the "Tiki Theatre Restaurant" and had some amazing flaming drinks that came in volcano bowls.  Needless to say, it's a good thing we arrived by cab.  LOL

Because it's Valentine's Day, I won't be cooking, but we will be ordering in from our favourite Italian restaurant; their orders include focaccia bread with balsamic vinegar and oil, and several extra containers of sauteed garlic.   After one of their meals, I'm sure our breath could keep many vampires away, and could likely peel wallpaper.  LOL   I always ask for a side salad for us to share, and it makes a lovely meal for us to enjoy.  And wine.

Image result for Happy Valentines DAy with wine images

I  want you to know I do feel bad for the folks who aren't accustomed to having super cold temperatures; we're prepared for them up here, but a lot of you and your critters will struggle to get through.  Stay safe!

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, keep warm, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 26

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!  Whether with your love or alone, please share with your loved ones how much they mean to you.  Don't forget, life is short!

Today is my day for appreciation for all everyone does, and I'll also honor compliment day which has already passed.

@richwmnthank you for your extra special graphics in our Daily report.  You did an extra fine job today.  Thank you also for bringing us all together.

@rafinmdI think your lists today were super special, and thank you for including the community in your shout out/celebration list.  We are honored!

@summer slope I hope your skill in making these drinks is as good as your skill at finding the recipes for them.  You could have a new career as a bartender.

@dfishHave a wonderful visit with your sister and please stay safe during all the snow and cold weather.  We appreciate you finding the recipes of the day for us along with the photos.  It's a positive addition to the Daily, for sure.

@VintageGeothe display from the Oosterdam was outstanding.  Thank you for sharing.  Please stay warm during this storm, okay?

@superomayour twin daughters are so beautiful!  Congrats to you all.  Have a wonderful safe visit with them to celebrate today.  The girls look identical to me.  My twin and I did not look alike, I was tiny compared to her, and we even had different colored hair.  I always wished we had been identical but oh, well...

@cat shepardWhat a service you bring to the Daily with your wine information each day.  Thank you from all of us.  Today's graphic with Betty White was outstanding as well.

@kazuEach day you bring us so much wisdom, caring for others, and hilarious "funnies".  You are an important part of our day, so thank you!

@Seasick Sailorwhat a dear you are to us!  Your love for your husband Allen, your friends, your family, your community, local wildlife including hummingbirds, and even your contractors is amazing.  You are a blessing to us all.

@ger_77We appreciate your wit and caring for all each and every day.  You have so much to bring to us and always leave us with a smile.  Continue to regale us with tales of your trips to the Ice Cave, and your meal plans including the wine, please!

@DeeniEncinitasNo one here could every forget your love for your fellow man.  You are the warmest, most loving individual I have met on CC. Thank you for all you do, and bless you and David on your 50th anniversary weekend.

Thanks also to the other regulars here @TiogaCruiser, @Dismomx5. @bennybear@mamaofami, @Sharon in AZ, @durangoscots@Cruising-along, @VMax1700@Quartzsite Cruiser, @Vict0riann, @Overhead Fred, @Horizon chaser 1957, @JazzyV, @St. Louis Sal, @highland cruiserand @puppycanducruise and every one else.  My mind has gone blank.  Our community here will get us through these sad days until our lives are back on track.  What a wonderful time that will be so let's try to remember to appreciate it.  Once again, Happy Valentine's Day!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

On this date 2 years ago MS Prinsendam visited Puerto Madryn.  When there on the Crystal Symphony 3 years earlier I visited a wildlife sanctuary and have previously posted photos of that:

On 1/31/2021 at 3:12 PM, rafinmd said:

I sailed to Antarctica twice recently, on the Crystal Symphony in 2016 and on the Prinsendam in 2019.  I'm going back a day (I meant to post then but got distracted) to the Symphony cruise.   On January 30 we visited Puerto Madryn on the West Coast of Chile.  I had booked a  tour to Punta Tombo Wildlife Sanctuary, about a 2-hour bus ride south of town.

A trail about a kilometer long ran south from the visitor center, mostly gravel with a boardwalk along the side.  The first of the life saw was a mockingbird:

mockingbird.jpg

At one point the trail became an elevated boardwalk where birds could walk under the path without any conflicts between them and people:

crossing.jpg

There were wide open spaces with lots of birds, mostly penguins:

birdsgalore.jpg

At some times we got close enough to the water so we could see penguins swimming:

swimming.jpg

Their call sounds a lot like a donkey's bray.  When doing it they extend their necks and heads straight up:

braying.jpg

The Wildlife Sanctuary was on land that was originally a ranch and was donated by the rancher.  As  we left we passed through a small museum with a number of artifacts of the ranch life:

ranchstuff.jpg

January 31 the Symphony was at sea to the Falklands but I have a report from the Prinsendam Grand South America and Antarctica in the works'

Roy

I took it easier this time with a walk around the town but thought I would share this look at the Elegant Explorer alongside the Celebrity Eclipse"

2ships.jpg

We were both due to depart at the same time but Eclipse had long lines of returning passengers as we slipped away.

Roy

• Like 23

Happy Valentine`s Day from a warm but rainy day at the beach.

I did not receive flowers but my husband gave me a really cute pair of pink sunglasses! They have polarized lens so will be perfect for the golf course.

Love seeing the pictures from past cruises, especially the penguins. Hope to do that trip someday. A year from today ( hopefully) we will be going thru the Panama Canal on our way to meet up for the trip to Hawaii and French Polynesia!

Roy- you remain in my thoughts and prayers. Be strong.

Stay well everyone!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1