Is all the "Pent Up Demand" real?

groundloop

I've been reading about "pent up demand" in regards to future cruises etc. etc. but have to wonder if there's as much demand as some are claiming.  

Several months ago I saw the writing on the wall and moved our June 2021 Alaska sailing to June 2022.  We were able to get the exact same room, as was our daughter.  Now my sister-in-law is thinking about joining us on the cruise and out of curiosity I checked the availability of cabins near us.  (We have a Veranda on the back of Eurodam on deck 7, I've heard that's one of the best locations on an Alaska cruise in that you can relax on your own balcony and see everything).  It turns out that ALL of the Verandas near us are still available, so I'm wondering if that pent up demand is real (or if someone lied to us about how great this area of the ship is 😃 ).

I think there is a fair bit of demand from what I have experienced.  Now everyone may not have booked yet waiting to see what is happening or perhaps for whatever reason, the demand is not high for your particular itinerary.  Hard to say.  There are a lot of Alaska cruises to choose from.

In our case, our Transatlantic cruise is sold out in all categories but OV and insides.  Our May cruise for next year also seems to be selling quite well based on cabin availability.

So, based on what I have seen, I do think the demand is real.  Time will tell when things improve and we see what happens to the cruise pricing 😉 

• Like 1

A great question.  If we believe the cruise lines their future bookings are good.  On the other hand, should we believe the cruise lines?  Darned if I know.   Many folks simply shifted deposits on cancelled cruises over to a future cruise.  Whether they have any intention of taking that future cruise is also a question.  Until final payment one never knows.

Hank

Just because there are open cabins on your particular cruise doesn't mean there isn't pent up demand...one cruise is not a representative sample. I could reverse the data point... we booked to a July 2022 cruise, and asked for an aft Neptune Suite, of which there are 10 on the ship. Only 2 were available.

I think there is going to be a lot of pent up demand for anything vacation related.

I think the idea of pent-up demand is real.  I also think that there are many who have already rebooked / been cancelled / rebooked / repeat that they may be on the sidelines after the second or third cancellation, waiting to see just when things will start up again.  I have a sailing booked for March 2022 with fingers crossed it goes, but I can tell you - I am chomping at the bit to get back on the road or on to sea.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that as soon as ships start sailing, good staterooms will be hard to find everywhere.

We've had three cruises canceled and have two presently booked.  I'm not using much FCC, since I chose to be reimbursed in full for the cruises canceled.  It was alot of money to lose if I didn't get reimbursed, that's for sure.  Anyhow, I think that these cruise ships will be in high demand.  Now that Holland America has sold some ships, there are fewer choices for us all.  I am excited to sail again, whenever that may be, but won't if we have to take shore excursions at every port.  We've enjoyed exploring on our own, particularly in Europe, and would hate to be trotted over to the buses for the ships tours.

All the suites on our Koningsdam Feb.2-27, 2022 Hawaii Mexico cruise are booked .  We took a full refund last year on 3 cruises and rebooked Alaska for July 2021, which I doubt will go, but it hasn't been cancelled yet.

I feel bookings will increase for 2022.

That is what they are telling shareholders and they are legally required to not lie😁.  It is hard to determine for us and them.  None of us know how many cabins they are withholding to comply with the current capacity orders nor how long those capacity orders will be in place

I think there is a lot of pent-up demand.  I equate it to another favored form of amusement -- theme parks.  Disneyland here in So Cal has offered some limited-ticket events and the internet practically broke when tickets went on sale.  "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead."

• Like 1

I have three cruises booked, Grand South America, Grand World 2023, and An 18 day Hawaii all booked without any FCC as we elected for cash refunds.  I would book more but no more money.   Those trips above are a pretty penny and we pay about 30 % higher in Canada.  Pent up demand, absolutely. 

• Like 2

Asking cruisers on a cruise site if there's pent up cruising demand is like asking little kids if they'll still like candy when they grow up. 

Remember.. Cruise Critic members represents only about 1% of the total annual pre-pandemic cruise bookings, so not surprising that all the hardcore cruise lover's here thinks that everyone everywhere is breathlessly waiting for cruising to return like they are ... NOT !

As with all travel and vacation products that have been withheld from us there will be, and is initial built up demand, which should quickly be resolved, and normal booking patterns return once that pandemic is permanently under control, and life returns to some semblance of normal in the near future. 

IMO - Hype about all the pent up demand is roughly about +/-  50% fake news  🤪

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Now that Celebrity has announced 7-day itineraries out of St. Martin, with bookings opening on 3/25, I'm very curious to see what kind of bookings they get. I predict they will see a crazy number over the first few booking days.

And those folks might pay with CASH

Crystal Cruises reports that the bookings for the first day of the announced Bahamas cruises starting in July 2021 were the highest recorded bookings in one day of their 30+ years in business.  A lot of people want to go cruising!

~Nancy

• Like 4

I believe that there is pent up demand.  I also believe that some of the current pricing is artificial.   I suspect that the cruise lines have tweeked their usual pricing logarithms to adjust for all of the FCC's and other freebees that are out there. 

Not such a big issue for us because cruises compete for our travel dollar in the same way that other travel products do.  If we perceive that he pricing is excessive we simply pass in favor of an alternative product.  As we have done in the past on occasion.

The cruise lines do have a challenge.   The pent up demand bubble can be seriously pricked if they end up with a few covid type cruises or  cruise terminations early on during the restart.   The last thing they need is more negative PR.   I hope that they get this right the first time.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

My brick and mortar Travel Agency is doing a lot of Virtual cruise webinars.  Based upon the participation on these, there is SOME pent-up demand. 

Many people are re-booking their cancelled cruises, so there are a limited number of cabins available on these cruses.  People are tired of being home, so they are looking to cruise again. 

What is open for discussion is, WHEN and WHERE will people cruise?  I, personally, am hesitant to be on that FIRST cruise.  I want to see how the cruise lines handle the new protocols.  I also have to question what countries will allow visitors, and when?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lcand1923 said:

What is open for discussion is, WHEN and WHERE will people cruise?  I, personally, am hesitant to be on that FIRST cruise.  I want to see how the cruise lines handle the new protocols.  I also have to question what countries will allow visitors, and when?

I agree. There will be confusion over protocols on board, and prejudice in many ports towards cruise ship passengers in the early days of resumed cruising.  I’m happy to let others break the ice. Being at sea and welcome nowhere in March 2020 was a big enough taste of that kind of reality, thank you.

That said, we have over 200 days of cruises booked, but nothing before October 2022.

I think pent up demand is very real among those who want to be at sea. Not so much the relatively modern target market that wants a floating amusement park where they can forget they’re on the water. That entire demographic may  shift back to the security of land based amusement parks for some time to come.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I think it is both

#1  No one has cruised in a year .

#2  It is the simplest free sales trick.  Just say it is . If someone says it, people will think it and book sooner.

Yes, there is demand and the industry is playing it up so Wall St. doesn't lose faith in them surviving on junk bond credit until some actual revenue returns

Edited by kangforpres
didn't right any thing
  • Like 1