What are some of the differences from 7 to 10 day cruises?

CJinFLA00

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but we have never done a 10 day cruise. We’ve been on many cruises but only 2 Princess cruises and both 7 days. BTW, love Princess Cruises! Besides the obvious (number of days) What other things may we see differently on  10 day versus 7? How are the shows? More variety?

When day 6 comes along and you have to start packing you wish it wasn’t almost over. Ten days has been really more relaxing on a port intensive cruise. Extra formal night, maybe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dog said:

Extra formal night, maybe

Nope, only two until you get to full two week cruise and then three.  Of course if you book for two weeks and it is really two B2B cruises, then you are going to get four formal nights.

1 hour ago, dog said:

When day 6 comes along and you have to start packing you wish it wasn’t almost over. Ten days has been really more relaxing on a port intensive cruise. Extra formal night, maybe. 

There are two formal nights on a ten day Princess cruise. 

Hi Chris,

We have taken over 23 cruises both in the summer and winter.  This includes:

Caribbean, Canada, Mexico, Panama Canal, British Isles, Baltic, Mediterranean – all of various lengths.  The last 15 years we only take 10 day cruises when cruising in the Caribbean.   Now, 7 days cruises would be a disappointment for us.  If you take a 7 day cruise to Canada /England you miss -- Quebec City, Princes Edward Island, and Sydney which are great ports.  How about a Princess cruise/tour to Alaska?  We have our 3rd planned for 2022.

For us the difference 7 versus 10:

7 day cruises you visit 3 to 4 ports

10 day cruises you visit 6 ports

10 day Caribbean cruises often include more ports – Aruba, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Kitts

How many 7 day cruises have sailed to these ports?

There are 2 formal nights.

The extra days provided for more time to relax, enjoy shipboard activities, shows, excursions, etc.

Round trip air fair from the mid-west (Michigan) is basically the same (7 versus 10).

We leave the cold weather behind and spend more time in the sun.

John

• Like 1

But be very careful if you do decide to book that first 10 day cruise. It can be a slippery slope! Before you know it you'll be plotting your first 15 Hawaii R/T cruise! But, trust me, it doesn't stop there. For us, being pretty much retired now, our ideal cruising range is between 3-5 weeks in length. Sure, we'll book a 7-10 day cruise, but only by exception.

I mean what's not to like? No cooking, no cleaning, no laundry, a variety of entertainment to enjoy every evening and on sea days and exotic ports to visit. And then there are those times you just kick back and watch the waves go by and maybe catch a glimpse of a pod of dolphins or whales passing by. As I said, be careful, cruising can be addictive. 😂

• Like 9

It's like getting into the RV scene.  You begin with a modest size rig, but quickly get 2 foot itis, and upgrade to feel just a little more comfy and spoiled.  There is always a bigger RV on your radar.

We have moved from 7 day cruises to 10 day cruises to 14 day cruises to now 21 plus day cruises.  More to experience.  For us, we are still in love with the port days and look to maximize them.  3 port stops on a 7 day cruise just seems like it is no longer enough for us, especially if we have to fly to our cruise destination.  We have limited vacation time -usually taken in one lump sum each year, so we like to pack in a longer cruise as it must tide us over for the rest of the year.

Don

• Like 2

The assortment of entertainment options will be slightly expanded. This might include an additional variety act. 7 day cruises usually have only about 2 shows, but 10 day cruises might have 3. However, note that if the ship you're booking is typically sailing 7-day cruises, with the 10-day you're booking being an anomaly, I would not bet on the additional show. Lastly, the pace is slightly more relaxed. It can feel like the 7-day cruises are operated like things are being rolled out like a conveyor belt with a strict schedule, but the 10-day cruises feel like they have more variance to their pace (but this is not to say that standards are being diminished or that things move at a glacial pace).

• Like 1

It normally takes me a few days to learn the layout of the ship, so the 10 day is great because I feel like I always know where Im going the latter half of the cruise,   Enjoy the extra three days.

35 minutes ago, CJinFLA00 said:

Wow, great responses. Thanks all! We booked the Enchanted Princess 10 day southern carib. on January 9th.  

this - not available on the 7 day cruises

also the RT Panama Canal from PE is also a 10 day cruise, not 7

My thoughts, some the same as others have posted.

3 extra days on a ship being served all your meals, room being cleaned and so on

May be additional ports or ports that can not be reached on a week long cruise such as the ABC islands

Princess does have a 10 day menu

Can be an extra production show, extra guest entertainers. Since Princess sells these cruises as both 10 and 20 day, guest entertainers normally do not repeat on b2b weeks.

Additional days to try specialty dining or other activities

Many 10 day cruises depart and/or arrive on week days. May be less crowds at the airports and pre or post hotel stays. Being from Tampa guess airports don't apply to your situation

Lots of b2b'ers, since sold as either 10 or 20 day bookings with alternating itineraries.

Usually more platinum and elite passengers. We have booked 3 or 4 of these b2b and float around the Caribbean during winter. 

Less youth, older passenger demographic, those with more available time

Tend to attract additional European passengers. Why fly over for just 7 days?

Get to know the crew and they know you better. To us this makes things more comfortable. 

Edited by skynight

Great comments by Skynight and others.  I couldn’t agree more.

Chris -- Your comment about “never none a 10 day cruise” caught me my surprise.   Especially after checking your “signature” which indicated you’ve taken over 25 cruises since 1993 mostly on Carnival.   Wow, am I reading this right?  Maybe it’s only on Princess you have not taken 10 day cruises?

We started taking cruise in the early 90’s with our family.  Carnival was great back then.  Sunny beaches, snorkeling, activities for kids, etc.  But over the years we found Princess is now our favorite cruise line.  Being Elite status really helps with the added benefits.  We love the different ports call.  Our interests have evolved and changed over the many years. Less sun, beaches, etc.   Now we incorporate more culture, history, museums, people watching, shopping, even trying local food & beer, etc.  The ship activities, entertainment, specialty restaurants, etc. will always be there to enjoy after your sightseeing and/or excursions are complete.  Currently, we concentrate on itineraries (and newer ships) with 10 days or more.  The only itinerary DW will not take is to Australia and New Zeeland.  Those 20/22 hour flights from LA are a killer.  I see you booked a 10 day southern cruise on the Enchanted.  Enjoy!  Listen to Deb if she likes Princess go for it!

John

• Like 1

Yes. You read that right! Longest cruise to date has been 8 days. Carnival is great when we have the younger kids but wow, Princess just fits us. We really enjoyed both cruises we did on Princess. We also did the vow renewal on Princess. What an experience!!!!

Downside of a 10 day cruise:  Too many elites.  I will never ever be invited to the top 40 luncheon; forget about the top 3 most frequent cruise passengers.  But I will continue to sacrifice and make these long cruises to build my days.  sigh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3