The Daily for Friday Jun 25, 2021

richwmn

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Los Angeles/San Pedro
Nieuw Amsterdam

Got up early to see Holland America Line's Nieuw Amsterdam arriving at the port of L.A. from her 2-day stay at the Long Beach inner breakwater. She'll be in Pedro today and tomorrow to take on 180 additional crew members and will have one more visit here in early July before heading north to Seattle in order to begin her shortened 2021 Alaska season on July 24th. She's looking pristine which is a credit to her captain, staff captain (the two Jeroens 😉), bo'sun and, for the last year, their skeleton crew! Bravo Zulu!May be an image of ocean

May be an image of body of water

May be an image of nature

May be an image of outdoors

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Got up early to see Holland America Line's Nieuw Amsterdam arriving at the port of L.A. from her 2-day stay at the Long Beach inner breakwater. She'll be in Pedro today and tomorrow to take on 180 additional crew members and will have one more visit here in early July before heading north to Seattle in order to begin her shortened 2021 Alaska season on July 24th. She's looking pristine which is a credit to her captain, staff captain (the two Jeroens 😉), bo'sun and, for the last year, their skeleton crew! Bravo Zulu!May be an image of ocean

May be an image of body of water

Thanks John!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I like log cabins. A no to catfish for me (or most any fish). I've never eaten from a food truck; I haven't run across any near me.

Great quote.

I like the meal but I don't have a grill. Not a fan of sweet wines. I'll pass on the drink too.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

I had a bit of disappointment as when I told my BFF the date of my eye surgery, he had a CT scan scheduled for that day. I has one other possibility for someone to take me, but he got his scan date changed this morning. Great friend! I'm still trying to get an appointment with my PCP for clearance.

@rafinmd Thanks for adding me to the care list.

@mamaofami I'm glad Sam is finally getting his scan. Early Happy Birthday!

@St. Louis Sal That's so sad about your log cabin.

So sad about the Florida condo collapse. I can't imagine what the families are going through. And the first responders who are risking their lives looking for survivors. I also hadn't heard of another mass grave found in Canada; awful.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe. PA is dropping the mask mandate on the 28th, but I'll still be wearing one when appropriate.

Vanessa

Thank you so much.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning, Dailyites and TGIF!  😊

First off, a question for @bennybear.  You have posted the most amazing pictures from Japan, and have said how much you enjoyed traveling there.  Maybe I missed this somewhere, but, roughly, what was your cruise?  Or maybe you were there more than once?  They change the route up a bit each year, but they don't vary too much.  Some seem to cover north more, some south.  I ask because we had booked 28 days, but still seems like we would have missed some key places.  Still looking forward to Japan travel someday!   ⛩️  🥢  🦀

Here closer to home, we took DGD to SeaWorld yesterday.  It was packed!  People are definitely out and about.  Probably like us, doing a few things before a new wave hits.  It was a beautiful day.

The chicken dinner for today looks really good.  😋

As others have mentioned, there are some very sad stories in the news right now.  Our thoughts and prayers are with those in difficulty.  Hugs and cheers to those with cause to celebrate.  🌻

We have only been once.  A 14 day circumnavigation around Japan during cherry blossom  time.  But we spent two weeks on our own visiting Hiroshima ,Kyoto,Tokyo and a few smaller places.   Highly recommend you do both! 

So clean and beautiful and  the people are great.  We had no language issues even in smaller towns.

We  will return hopefully next year for fall colours and to visit Okinawa, Nagasaki and Jeju island.  Plus return to Kyoto which is magical in the evening’s❤️

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We have only been once.  A 14 day circumnavigation around Japan during cherry blossom  time.  But we spent two weeks on our own visiting Hiroshima ,Kyoto,Tokyo and a few smaller places.   Highly recommend you do both! 

So clean and beautiful and  the people are great.  We had no language issues even in smaller towns.

We  will return hopefully next year for fall colours and to visit Okinawa, Nagasaki and Jeju island.  Plus return to Kyoto which is magical in the evening’s❤️

Oh...that's a nice long extension.  You would have had the leisure time to take so many lovely photos.  That's a great idea.  We always extend our cruises, but probably wouldn't have thought to add that much time.  Thanks for the info!

The photos posted here by you and others really show how much Japan has been enjoyed.

Some day!  🤞

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! I love catfish to eat, but they are nasty to handle when you catch them! A good food truck is worth its weight in gold! 
Todays port, Hakodate, is one I’ve been to. I loved our day there. Too bad the pictures are buried on a hard drive somewhere. The ship was met by scores of kindergarten age children, in coloured costumes, putting on a dance. Watching them organizing the little ones into their groups was as entertaining as the dance. There is a shuttle into a very nice area where old red brick warehouses have been converted into shops and restaurants. During our wanders, DH and I came across a small local festival with food booths. We had lunch there. Then we came across a rummage sale raising funds for a Rotary Club charity campaign. I bought a large pottery bottle/ jug that turned out to be a sake jug fired locally in a tunnel kiln. When I bought it, the volunteer I was talking to thanked me, and then all the volunteers gathered around me and applauded. It was quite an adventure!  I bought it, and DH carried it around town and back to the Westerdam for me. A fair division of labour, I think. 

We are heading out soon to,drop off some goodies for DD at her quarantine hotel. Then we are carrying on to the ferry to Salt Spring until we come to scoop her up again. The forecast is just too hot to stay here, and the forest fire smoke has moved in as well. Time to go!
Todays picture of the bouquet lily.

17F765FA-2F80-4BFB-BB25-091B922347BB.thumb.jpeg.59a749372e75f9697f0f661d878101eb.jpeg

Me standing beside the main banana plant. I can’t reach the top.

71CE6DF4-F0E9-406F-9BC8-8B34F02B448C.thumb.jpeg.81f05c7f88e5130553ed40427918c973.jpeg

And of course, Happy TGIF, if only it were on a BHB!

E5C60574-FBFA-4442-A093-58216C209369.thumb.jpeg.f3da2f4ab5c47889a720d8c584f98277.jpeg

The bouquet lily is getting prettier every day.

• Like 12

Thanks for the daily Rich. The chicken dinner looks wonderful. Now if there was a food truck that would deliver that dinner it would be great.  I bought a log cabin near the town of Bend when I was becoming a paramedic and enjoyed all the rustic attributes of studying by  lamplight. It was nice to not have a two hour drive home every day.  Like yours, we sold it after I graduated and heard it burn down the next year. I got a trip up the river on my kayak before the heat set in. Thanks John for the great pictures. So sad about the collapse and all the new children's graves. I hope that everyone stays cool this weekend and into the heat wave.  This is all new for the west coast.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon, all, and many thanks to Rich,  Roy, and all who post with such interesting information.  Lovely to see a ship starting to get herself organized and under way!  Great pictures, and also of Hakodate - I love the Japanese manhole covers - almost worth while going to Japan just to get pictures of them.  I am a great collector of manhole covers, I like to use them to "headline" the ports we visit in my albums, one of my favourites is this one of Budapest:

P1010395.thumb.JPG.a4ee948bd06fe1a15a639a073ad1d238.JPG

• Like 27

My travels included a couple of days at Rehoboth Beach,  near where the ferry goes to Cape May. We had decided not to take the ferry, having done the 2 car ferries to the Outer Banks. 

It felt spring like yesterday with full sun and air temp of 72. Atlantic Ocean water temp was only 63, so the northeast breeze kept it cool. Beautiful hydrangeas. 

20210624_114003.jpg

20210624_131735.jpg

20210624_135009.jpg

20210624_135128.jpg

20210624_135348.jpg

• Like 21

Good Afternoon.

Too hot to garden here today.  So I guess it is the perfect time to work on my knitting projects.  Perhaps I will finish one or two of them during this heat wave.

Below are my Lollipop Lilies that are in my front garden.

May be an image of flower and nature

Val

• Like 17

I don’t know if I am asking too much but I am asking everyone to think of and pray for Joe the husband of our recently passed Yonnie (Krazy Kruziers aka KK).  I have found out he is in Critical Care at the hospital.  I have no idea of what.  The only thing my friend was told was that when he was able they would let him know that she called.

I fear his demise is near.  He is alone without KK, no family nearby.  My heart is sad for him tonight 💔

• Like 13
  • Thanks 11

Just now, kazu said:

I don’t know if I am asking too much but I am asking everyone to think of and pray for Joe the husband of our recently passed Yonnie (Krazy Kruziers aka KK).  I have found out he is in Critical Care at the hospital.  I have no idea of what.  The only thing my friend was told was that when he was able they would let him know that she called.

I fear his demise is near.  He is alone without KK, no family nearby.  My heart is sad for him tonight 💔

🙏😢for Joe.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Prayers for Joe.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good news!  After 30 minute delays for all games this morning due to heavy rains, the Tigers started to play and after 10 minutes lightning appeared, thus a long delay until weather was clear.  It was a hard fought game but DGS scored the only goal and won the game for his team.  Afterwards we all had a nice, late lunch at Panera and DH and I are ready for a rest this evening.  The team is going to a golf place for some games this afternoon then an early dinner and a good night's rest for their 8 am game tomorrow.  

Unfortunately the weather forecast is for thunderstorms tonight and all day tomorrow.  😡

• Like 17

28 minutes ago, kazu said:

Prayers for Joe winging their way….

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 7

Been a busy few days since I have posted.  I have missed several birthdays and anniversaries and I apologize.  Best wishes to all.  I am staying busy as government liaison for Red Cross for 4 fires in 4 counties and backup for another person for a fire in two counties.  We all got a little rain yesterday, but it won't go far in our extreme drought/wildfire situation.  The PNW heat will be coming here by mid-week!  

Hakodate was one of the places that we would have visited on our re-routed Volendm cruise in May, 2011 after the earthquake and tsunami.  I would like to return to Japan to see the ports we missed!  I have enjoyed the pictures.

So much sad news.  Thanks to all for care and happy lists.  This is such a wonderful place to share and reminisce!  

Have a great evening, everyone!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon.  I got the mowing finished before it got too not.  The strong south wind helped.  It's 94F now but feels like 103F.  Early next week, the highs are supposed to drop into the 80 degree range,but no rain.  Hope everyone in the path of the extreme heatwave can stay cool this weekend.

A real treat this afternoon as we went to our favorite Mexican food restaurant before the lunch specials were over, but when it was not  crowded.  Good enchiladas, but not too much food, and I got a day off from cooking!

Yesterday, I got the attic organized and won't need to go back up there until the DDs come to go through the rest of their things.  Tomorrow I'll wash the baby clothes and replace the brittle elastic before talking them to the thrift store.  I still have projects, but they're easy and are inside jobs for now.

@kazu Jacque, we will certainly keep KK's husband Joe in our thoughts, and hopes for an easy passing if that is the outcome.

@St. Louis Sal  Sorry that the old log cabin burned and because of arson.  Such a waste.

@mamaofami. Glad that Sam could get his CAT scan and hoping there are no surprises..  Enjoy your birthday lunch tomorrow with your friend and DSIL.  Happy early birthday.

@ger_77 Great news that DS got his 2nd shot today.

@sailingdutchy  Tony, thank you for the pictures of todays port and for the one of the manhole cover from Kushiro.  We were supposed to stop there in 2018, but unfortunately the port was canceled. 

We Will celebrate Seafarer Day,  especially the hard working crews on the BHBs.

It is sad they found more graves at the schools for indigenous children.  Neither the US nor Canadian treated these children as they should have been treaded.  And the situation in Surfside just gets worse.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, kazu said:

It certainly isn't too much to ask us to care about another human being.   Thank you for letting us know.  I had been wondering how he was getting on.  Broken heart syndrome is a real thing.   

• Like 14