Does anyone prefer interior cabins?

Never done one.  All but one cruise (in balcony) have been in JS or GS.  Love having the outdoor space and seeing the water.  I do know people that book inside because that's either all they can afford or they like to sleep in.  Neither of those apply to us.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Some like them because they're always dark. Some like them because they're only ever in their rooms to sleep, so why pay more for space they don't use?

This is it for me.  Sleep, shower, s***.  That is the only time I spend in the room.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

Never done one.  All but one cruise (in balcony) have been in JS or GS.  Love having the outdoor space and seeing the water.  I do know people that book inside because that's either all they can afford or they like to sleep in.  Neither of those apply to us.

Cost is a major factor on why cruisers pick an inside cabin.  

• Like 6

My hubby loved it but I hated it.  He loves to sleep in.

Tried it and only repeated it once, when it was the only cabin left on a holiday cruise.  Give me a balcony or better any day. I need light and fresh air. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Newer ships have virtual balcony cabins which may help. So would a night light.

With a virtual balcony, will the room get bright when it is morning or is the virtual balcony something you have to turn on and off?

I normally book interiors on Royal. I travel solo, and I can afford any cabin, but why spend the money when I don’t need to. I’m pretty frugal and I personally like the dark. I wake up at the first smidge of light in the morning, so the darkness works for me. During the summer in the PNW, it’s normal for me to be awake at 0430.

I do have several cruises booked with a virtual balcony, so looking forward to trying those.

• Like 5

We've had insides, balconies and suites and I'm fine with any of them.  There is something "cosy" about an inside that I do like.  It's like a cocoon.  Balconies are often twice the cost and then sometimes you end up hardly using them due to weather or noisy neighbors.  I do like to eat breakfast on the balcony when we have one.  Just because you can afford something doesn't necessarily make it something you actually want to buy.  We've had the virtual balconies and they are a nice touch.  You can turn the screen off whenever you like.  It may also depend on where you live.  I live on an island.  It's no big deal for me to look at the ocean.  I see it every day.

Edited by Travelling2Some
typo
  • Like 6

If I had my way would never cruise in anything  but an interior cabin.  DH and DS like balconies and above though. I love the darkness for sleep, and while I can afford higher priced cabins I'd rather spend the money on more cruises, specialty dinners, excursions and the like.  The smart traveler books a cabin just as the smart home buyer purchases a house...you buy the cheapest house in the best neighborhood, i.e. the cheapest cabin on the best ship/itinerary. 

I also purchase two cabins for our family of three for each cruise, which makes a difference in price.  Sorry, not doing with one bathroom for more than two people, and not having the mess of beds out during the day.  Ick. 

• Like 2

Even when I've had a balcony I don't spend enough time on it to make it worth spending a ton. Twice was free upgrades due to price drop, one was sharing, and the other was cheaper than an interior due to group pricing that was had no interiors. The money I save can be spent a lot better ways. Maybe if I wasn't mostly sailing solo I'd go for balconies more, but there's usually only so much time I want to spend in my cabin/balcony by myself. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tradercj said:

I have stayed in an interior cabin before and hated it because it was so dark. I am trying to see if I am missing something. If you prefer them, why?

Not for me.  First, so small and dark- we would bang into each other- while some people put an outside TV view on, still tiny.  Minimal storage.  Worse, if you have a lock down and are quarantined to your cabin- what a horror.  If you are young kids, on a strict budget, do what you have to do.  If you have a choice why?   Some people say- we only sleep and bathe in our cabin- but IMO sets the entire tone of your hard earned vacation.  We enjoy our balcony.

• Like 1

We did an interior once in 30yrs because it was a last minute dirt cheap price. It was less expensive to book two interior rooms instead of having 4 in an oceanview or balcony room.  We managed by leaving the TV on but I don't think I would book an interior again. Now with what happened during covid I will only book a balcony in the future. 

• Like 1

My husband is the ideal inside cabin person. He loves the deep sleep in the dark. I love spending time on the balcony, he might step out there once and be done. He has a bit of a fear of heights so I think that plays into it. 

I've been told it doesn't matter where your cabin is, if you test positive you are moved to reserved isolation cabins. 

• Like 1