The Daily for Saturday August 14, 2021

richwmn

44 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  So many days,  I have always been fascinated but the Navajo Code talkers and will celebrate  lakes today.  

some of my favourites 

1F5274A2-F91D-4A49-8CF7-5D40BF069866.jpeg

31A9DA1A-46D2-44B2-9B1A-C593B0AA82FB.jpeg

C7185E6D-8733-45EB-9451-74DADDC74741.jpeg

0CC837E3-31D8-468B-B95A-1AEFA66C598F.jpeg

2FA2BBC7-B5AD-483D-88F0-76358190521A.jpeg

9FCAD871-22F0-44D4-B120-3E7694CB84FD.jpeg

7E25AD9A-A9FE-4D92-BE1D-E70AE581A395.jpeg

and my Favourite view of Medicine Lake in Jasper National Park. 

3CB26C69-271E-465F-A1C8-AA37C2F6975D.jpeg

Love your lake photos!

• Like 9

5 hours ago, msmayor said:

Good morning all!

@kazu, the goose on a moose made me laugh out loud!  Reminded me a little of the rhyme from our last trip up to Toronto when we struggled to keep track of our 'loonies' and 'two-nies'!

Before I retired, I sometimes worked as cashier when I needed a break. While pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters are much the same in both countries, a lot of American visitors struggled with Loonies and Toonies. 
The tip I used to give customers was this: One colour, one dollar. Two colours, two dollars. Suddenly it was simple.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Wow, lots of days being celebrated. 

I like the quote.

I'll have to file away the meal for the future when more carbs are allowed. I like the drink and wine also.

I haven't been to today's destination. Appreciate pictures from those who have.

We've finally cooled down with less humidity. I may make some blueberry muffins, now that it's not too hot to turn on the oven! I'll have to mow the lawn tomorrow, before we get rain next week from Fred.

I heard from the study on Covid vaccinations in immunocompromised people, asking if I'd give another blood sample. They said they'd understand if someone wanted to get a booster first rather than participate. They only asked 15 people, and since I'm not sure how to get or if I'd qualify for a booster, I said yes. I'll get particulars next week.

@dfish Enjoy the picnic. SMH on the nephew.

@grapau27 Wonderful pictures, making us want to visit there too.

@smitty34877 Thanks for sharing a picture of lovely Miss Camilla! Prayers for Tana.

@msmayor I have an Instant Pot and I think it's worth having. Stay safe on your trip!

@Heartgrove Kudos for adopting rescues.

@highscar I have the 6qt IP and it's just me. But I like to make soups/stews, etc and freeze some.

@Mr. Boston Prayers for DSIL for a pain free journey.

@Cruising-along Enjoy the time with family.

@aliaschief I'm glad you had a great cruise. Enjoy Seattle.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone. Social distance and wear your mask if needed.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon everyone and Happy Saturday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. I’ll celebrate Chinese Valentine Day aka Daughter’s Festival today. One of my best friends from high school and college is Chinese and we still stay in touch. Here’s a bit from google:

Chinese Valentine Day is also known as the Daughter's Festival and several other names (see below). It is celebrated on the seventh day of the seventh month of the lunar calendar. This holiday is one of love and romance. This holiday evolved from an ancient love story from Chinese folklore.

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion, I make too much Alfredo for DGD which is her favorite.  I have an Instant Pot but don’t use it much. I prefer my Crockpot. However like someone said it’s really good to make beans in.  I tried using the Instant Pot as a slow cooker once and it didn’t work out for me, not sure what happened. But for me it takes up too much space to be a useful appliance. 

Thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

It was fairly cool this morning, so I went over to my rental house to do some work.  Moved a pile of wood from the back yard to the wood shed.  My tenants are moving to CT next week in a DIY move.  They have 6 or 8 laying chickens and I was surprised that they are taking them with them, along with the chicken house.  They said they had to get them tested for some chicken diseases like salmonella at a cost of a few hundred dollars.  So these chickens are obviously pets like their two dogs.

Interesting about the Chinese Valentine Day.  Last Sunday was Father's Day in Taiwan and I guess China, too.  It is the eighth day of the eighth month.  Eight in Mandarin is pronounced Ba.  So it is Ba Ba day which sounds like Papa.

Ray

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Before I retired, I sometimes worked as cashier when I needed a break. While pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters are much the same in both countries, a lot of American visitors struggled with Loonies and Toonies. 
The tip I used to give customers was this: One colour, one dollar. Two colours, two dollars. Suddenly it was simple.

Ahhh...the color thing...brilliant!  We never thought of that.  My husband walked around with this giant pocket of change and our big comment was "Why are the loonies and toonies so close to the same size??"  Never thought about the color difference.

I think I still have a toonie in my change jar.  Hope I get back to Canada to cash it in!

• Like 12

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily!  An amazing array of days to celebrate; I'm not sure which of them I will choose.   

An eerie calm has descended over our house on the "frozen tundra" - the family left around 10:30 this morning and I bawled like a baby for about half an hour.  Walking through the house, seeing the little fingerprints on all the coffee tables, etc., makes me think I'm just going to leave them there for a little while.

I've done half a dozen loads of laundry since they departed, shoveled the toys back into the big box, and am now preparing myself to go and preside over a wedding ceremony.  Life is never dull here.

I'm happy for those who have family picnics to enjoy; delighted to see the latest picture of Miss Camilla - who looks totally adorable!; and sad for @Mr. Boston's family as they prepare to say goodbye to their loved one.  Please know I will add her to my prayers, wishing her a pain free and relaxed transition to the next life.

I like today's menu suggestion, and do have an Instant Pot (that I don't use nearly as much as I should), but I think it'll have to be put on the list for a day in fall when it's a lot cooler.  Tonight will be "whatever" night - whatever's in the fridge, eat it, as there are tons of leftovers from this past week.  And Grandma Juice.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to celebrate all on the positive side.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 17

9 hours ago, msmayor said:

My day will start with a relaxing manicure/pedicure, but then some errands and packing.  I'm off to Atlanta tomorrow for five days on business.  We've been 'unmasked' here in NJ for a couple of months, but Atlanta (along with most of the south) is now a hotbed of COVID with vaccination rates still on the low side...indoor mask mandate in place down there.  Pulling out a few of my washable masks and a fresh box of disposables for the suitcase, and the photo of my vaccine card saved to 'favorites' on my phone so I can access easily if needed. 

Wishing you a productive trip.  I don't think business travel qualifies for the celebration list except under unusual circumstances.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon, all! I’m late to the party today. The iPad has been acting up. Yesterday by the time I could finally post it was too late to bother.

What a large and varied collection of days today. There’s surely something for everyone there. We have cold cooked chicken breast, so chicken Alfredo sounds good. So does Roy’s prime rib, but I don’t have any of that.

I have never been to today’s port, so the pictures are inspiring as opposed to nostalgic. Some day we’ll go!

Meanwhile we’ve returned to the mainland for a few days. 
The banana patch is doing well.

AA75CCFA-37DE-4D0F-A95C-B0102CF3DBE8.thumb.jpeg.835890ad38b4dfc9e76615c52bab7640.jpeg

And peanut plants are randomly showing up. This is Canada. Peanuts don’t grow here.

C61673C5-BA99-401C-872F-FB5927ADE816.thumb.jpeg.b77309364758489620e38dfa1eefd824.jpeg

165DA68C-5156-4656-AAA0-DE2AB354AE0F.thumb.jpeg.dcad3d640a3efd4c25280a861b6eda5b.jpeg

94AFCEB3-943F-4D40-838E-298FEB79738C.thumb.jpeg.6d26bfc330a7d4a5b23432ba024ae8fb.jpeg

Happy Saturday, as one BHB heads out to Alaska yet again, and another is set to embark on HAL’s first European voyage since the pandemic began!

5DA8AF75-21EF-42DC-AFDA-C0AFD8651FC7.thumb.jpeg.3f246238300de3d0b4557a346e1c5313.jpeg

• Like 17

6 hours ago, Suslor said:

@rafinmd Roy, , Firefighter Laird is getting a solemn procession and send off here in the DMV. May he Rest In Peace 🙏

It looks like the funeral will be the 17th.  My station got a request for a standby crew to help cover Frederick County.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily!  An amazing array of days to celebrate; I'm not sure which of them I will choose.   

An eerie calm has descended over our house on the "frozen tundra" - the family left around 10:30 this morning and I bawled like a baby for about half an hour.  Walking through the house, seeing the little fingerprints on all the coffee tables, etc., makes me think I'm just going to leave them there for a little while.

I've done half a dozen loads of laundry since they departed, shoveled the toys back into the big box, and am now preparing myself to go and preside over a wedding ceremony.  Life is never dull here.

I'm happy for those who have family picnics to enjoy; delighted to see the latest picture of Miss Camilla - who looks totally adorable!; and sad for @Mr. Boston's family as they prepare to say goodbye to their loved one.  Please know I will add her to my prayers, wishing her a pain free and relaxed transition to the next life.

I like today's menu suggestion, and do have an Instant Pot (that I don't use nearly as much as I should), but I think it'll have to be put on the list for a day in fall when it's a lot cooler.  Tonight will be "whatever" night - whatever's in the fridge, eat it, as there are tons of leftovers from this past week.  And Grandma Juice.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to celebrate all on the positive side.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, I can relate to how you felt when everyone left.  I tear up whenever the DDs leave, no matter how short or long their visit.  I read what you wrote to DH, so he would know I'm not the only teary-eyed mama as we don't have grandkids.

Lenda

• Like 8

13 hours ago, msmayor said:

I have yet to succumb to the Instant-Pot crowd and don't own one.  To those who have one, is it worth the storage space?  I wonder if it would make dinner planning for my now-retired DH easier...he's still learning to 'time' different dishes so they are all done together, but maybe everything in one pot will make that much easier.

Both sons have 2 instant pots.  So do I. My daughter has 3. She leaves one at the trailer.  She can use them 4 or 5 times a day. Pasta recipes are great, because you use just one pot. I use mine to make yogurt. We don't like store bought yogurt any more. You can cook almost anything in them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the daily information, humour and photos.

@smitty34877  Camilla  has grown, she is thriving, thanks for sharing the photo.

@Mr. Bostonsorry to read of your SIL, she will be kept comfortable in the hospice.

@aliaschiefenjoy your stay in Seattle, safe travelling.

Today is a sunny Sunday, temperature 15 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Whoa @Horizon chaser 1957...

Are you pulling our leg about the peanuts?  That looks like the ones that the birds drop in our yard from the neighbor's bird feeder.  Are you truly getting peanuts to grow...along with the bananas?  

Weird but wonderful microclimate!

I know! I’ve seen the squirrels drop or bury peanuts in the garden, but never dreamed they were viable and could germinate. But if it’s ever going to happen this summer of extreme heat would be the time.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Tbay said:

Both sons have 2 instant pots.  So do I. My daughter has 3. She leaves one at the trailer.  She can use them 4 or 5 times a day. Pasta recipes are great, because you use just one pot. I use mine to make yogurt. We don't like store bought yogurt any more. You can cook almost anything in them.

Thanks for the info.  I may have to buy one.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Two handsome dogs.  Your rescues are/were lucky dogs.

Enjoy your visit with you New York daughter.  I'm glad you got the car out of lease and that now it is yours.

Lenda

Thank you on both accounts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1